The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

snoop

You are ridiculous. It’s a valid question.

Not sure why it's ridiculous. If she says the hospialization was due to covid what is your response going to be? Covid can't make you fall down stairs? If it was because she fainted, then what? Drill into the girl's medical history to explain the fall? Maybe we can angle in whether padded or unpadded stairs could have made the situation better/worse.

I'm assuming, based on how the story is written that she's hospitalized because of the fall and fainted due to Covid.

I think "this ain't over people" was the main point of the story. I'll wait and hear how the cause of the fall makes this less true.

Everything Zen

Hospitalized from the fall or Covid?
You’re right. I don’t know, but my takeaway is the concern for the level of weakness that COVID is causing a young person to end up in a position like that. I was just on the phone with this girl last week talking to her about her career moves as she considers me a mentor - we’re both in pharma. I encouraged her to apply for a couple of jobs. So it’s shocking that she became so sick this quickly.

Also- her mother was hospitalized multiple times last year with her second case of COVID and almost died. She experienced severe multi-organ shutdown and overreaction of the immune response.

Last edited:

Lylddlebit

Lylddlebit

People with Long Covid were getting tinnitus before the vaccine was available. The owner of a chain of Texas steak houses with long covid committed suicide from it. Celebrities With Coronavirus (covid-19) | Page 20 | Long Hair Care Forum

Anybody who got Covid is going to have an uphill battle assigning Covid side effects to the vaccination.
That is actually the point to me:
This narrative of assigning the blame onto the vaccine instead of each person being able to receive an objective and accurate diagnosis, so, effective treatment can begin. It has to be about transparency that fosters quality care...no matter what is the cause of the ailment.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
That is actually the point to me:
This narrative of assigning the blame onto the vaccine instead of each person being able to receive an objective and accurate diagnosis, so, effective treatment can begin. It has to be about transparency that fosters quality care...no matter what is the cause of the ailment.
I'm here for transparency. Unfortunately, the built in incentive to assign blame to the vaccine for side effects is that people will attempt to sue the vaccine companies for compensation, but there's nobody to even attempt to sue for side effects from catching Covid.

Lylddlebit

I'm here for transparency. Unfortunately, the built in incentive to assign blame to the vaccine for side effects is that people will attempt to sue the vaccine companies for compensation, but there's nobody to even attempt to sue for side effects from catching Covid.

Sadly, that point will be emphasized towards the vaccine injured... even when the proof that some of them never caught covid is in the bloodwork and/or mapping. Whether they are suing, trying to survive, or a combination of several factors the scenario impacts, overcoming the narrative is as big of a feat as overcoming their ailments.

Crackers Phinn

Sadly, that point will be emphasized towards the vaccine injured... even when the proof that some of them never caught covid is in the bloodwork and/or mapping. Whether they are suing, trying to survive, or a combination of several factors the scenario impacts, overcoming the narrative is as big of a feat as overcoming their ailments.
Half of Americans have reported having covid. That is literally a coin flip. In the non-reported half there's no telling how many were asymptomatic and don't know they had it. The odds of never having caught covid but coincidentally having a long covid symptom is not a narrative, it's a long shot.

Lylddlebit

@Crackers Phinn
There are distinctions between natural infection and mRNA vaccine response: cell memory, immunogenic proteins, helper proteins, gene sequences, amyloids, antibodies, decay kinetics, etc. No long shot is needed. Although time and objective examination of the evidence will reveal it much better than I can.

Although you and I disagree in perspective, we understand the challenge of proving vaccine injury, right now. That challenge is definitely there. Where I think we bump heads on this topic is I don't believe proof and evidence isn’t out of reach that will prove for or against a specific case of vaccine injury, given time. The human body is a ledger of processes long before they are fully examined. With the large volume of people who are getting sick enough to have well documented bloodwork and medical records to examine thoroughly, comes opportunity prove truth throughly. What sucks is the time it takes to get there.

BonBon

Is Covid really over? WHO’s announcement sounds more like surrender than victory​

Robin McKieObserver science editor

The global public emergency caused by Covid-19 may be officially over but the pandemic will still be with us for many years. Nor is it clear that governments have learned sufficiently from the outbreak to be ready to fight off new emerging microbes that could trigger worse calamities.
These are the stark conclusions of scientists reacting to last week’s news that the World Health Organization (WHO) no longer considers Covid-19 – which has killed more than 7 million people over the past three years – to be a public health emergency of international concern.

Most researchers welcomed the decision because it reflects the fact that the acute phase of the Covid-19 outbreak is now over. At its peak, in January 2021, the global death rate reached more than 100,000 people a week. Last week it had dropped to about 3,500.
However, health officials and scientists also pointed out that immunity to the disease remains short-lived, while there has been considerable slackening in restrictions previously imposed to prevent people from infecting each other. Future waves of infections are therefore inevitable, they warned.
“One does not simply flick a switch and declare a pandemic as being over, especially one so damaging and of such scale as this one,” said Professor Stephen Griffin of Leeds University.

This view was backed by Professor Susan Michie, director of the Centre for Behaviour Change at University College London. “Whether Covid-19 is labelled a global pandemic or not, many countries around the world are experiencing significant waves of infection, with thousands dying every week,” she said. “This will continue for the foreseeable future while there is no global effort to reduce Covid-19, and hence no global effort to reduce the likelihood of damaging new variants.”
Professor Benjamin Neuman of Texas A&M University was even more critical. “This bittersweet announcement seems more a white flag than a cause for celebration,” he said. “While there has been profound progress, this decision reflects the political reality of Covid more clearly than the medical situation.”
Many scientists told the Observer that the legacy of the pandemic – although it is past its peak – will be profound and long-lasting. Its cause, the SARS-CoV-2 virus, is still killing one person every three minutes, while many survivors are suffering the debilitating impact of long Covid, which can leave them incapacitated for months. The virus also poses a continued threat to elderly people and those with health conditions, adding a new annual danger to seasonal ailments such as influenza and other respiratory diseases that strike in winter.
This emergency has taught us how much people were willing to sacrifice to keep others safe, but how underprepared many governments and institutions were
Simon Williams, psychologist
“We now have a new human coronavirus that will continue to blight human populations into the future,” said Professor Andrew Lee of Sheffield University.

In short, the pandemic’s impact will be felt for a long time, both in terms of new cases and those already suffering from long Covid.
“We will need to invest in our healthcare systems to cope with all the extra people needing care every year,” said Professor Mark Jit of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. “Above all, the world will need to work together so that we will be better prepared for such emergencies in the future – whether they are caused by a deadly new variant of the Covid virus, or by a completely new microbe that we have never seen before.”
This latter point is a particular concern for many scientists. As habitat destruction continues across the planet and air travel opens up more and more parts of the globe, new emerging viruses are likely to appear – and in some cases they may spread to humans.

Prior to Covid-19, the Ebola virus, as well as the coronaviruses that caused severe acute respiratory syndrome (Sars) and Middle East respiratory syndrome (Mers), triggered worrying epidemics, though none of them had the global impact of Covid. That may not be the case for the next emerging virus, however. Unfortunately, few governments appear to be gearing up their efforts to pinpoint outbreaks of new diseases before they can spread to major human populations.
“There is a series of ongoing inquiries looking at how we could and should have responded better to the Covid-19 pandemic,” said Professor Mark Woolhouse of Edinburgh University. “I hope these will set out how we could have reduced not only the harm caused by the virus but also the self-inflicted harm caused by a strategy of shutting down much of society in an effort to reduce transmission rates. Given the ever-present threat of another pandemic, lessons need to be learned.”

This argument was supported by psychologist Simon Williams of Swansea University. “It’s time to consider what we’ve learned during the pandemic, and what happens next,” he said. “I think this emergency has taught us how adaptable and responsive people can be – how much people were willing to sacrifice to keep others safe – but how underprepared many governments and institutions were.
“The last three years have taught us how resilient we can be as individuals, but how we need to build better institutional resilience. That is, we need to make sure we are better prepared for future health emergencies.”

naturalgyrl5199

Question for anybody: What is the significance of determining this was a lab leak? Are they trying to say that the US is somehow involved?

Whether it came from a lab or a wet market, the world knows the virus came from China and there's no suing China.
Yes and Yes.
Its a BIG. BIG effen deal. This proves That Trump lifting the moratorium on GOF research was premature andindeed suggests a link to the US and China working together on this research at some point in time. Countries working collaboratively via their Top Universities ain't nothing new. They want to act like it didn't exist now because too many lines will be drawn. But this is slowly slowly eeking out.

I know I'm late answering.

So President Obama actually had a Moratorium on GOF research---Gain of Function Research. Its the type of research that allows for scientists to investigate pathogens more likely to spread to humans. (yeah you read right). He had the foresight to realize this can get out of hand quick. (Also note: During his Presidency, he made several announcements during his Presidencies about "Pandemics" and upping PPP in the US stockpile--years before COVID-19 HIT. Cause...he has his ear to the ground-we discussed this very early in this thread) He cut funding on GOF research in 2013-2014 after studies were published outside of the country that showed promise (GOF research is why we know how nasty viruses spread) BUT then there were...accidents.

Pay attention this paragraph from this 2017 article below: But U.S. officials grew uneasy after the publication of new GOF papers and several accidents in U.S. biocontainment labs. In October 2014, they announced an unprecedented "pause" on funding for 21 GOF studies of influenza, MERS, and severe acute respiratory syndrome viruses. (At the time, NIH said there were 18 paused studies.) NIH eventually exempted some studies found to pose relatively little risk. But eight influenza studies and three MERS projects remained on hold.
https://www.science.org/content/article/nih-lifts-3-year-ban-funding-risky-virus-studies

On both sides (the science community) and the govt--which tends to be at odds these days, don't want to finger lab leaks because they want to advance the research to gain knowledge, but the gov't wants to put this particular incident behind them forever right now.
So yeah--we know it was from China but I'm pretty sure there was at least one American Researcher in there---or European one in there working collaboratively via their Uni's.

I've always say, science doesn't trod, it LEAPS. With GOF research, its LEAPED and LEAPED but as we can see post Covid-its a Pandora's box.
Most likely it was man-made (I know the plandemic crowd would cheer at that)
Most likely it was GOF research where a virus jumped from a sick researcher or lab animal onto a non-lab associated individual who spread it through the country.
AND most likely the US and other involved countries are trying to slow GOF talk down as best as possible. We are way into the 21st century with research. Remember, new drugs on the market are already 10 years old.

I was waiting for this convo to turn to this. My new job has me out of pocket these days.

naturalgyrl5199

I remember this was asked by a few members at the beginning of the pandemic when members kept saying it came from a lab.

People were treating it like a regular/natural virus when it came to how it will act, spread and mutatate,ect instead of treating it as a man made virus from a lab which means it is not going to do or react the same way typical viruses do.

But the narrative of lab leaked was knocked down by members repeatedly. Then it turned into so what if it was. One long time member, who no longer posts, was very admant on debunking/knocking down every idea/resolution that was suggested hence divisive being and causing disinformation to other members that trusted her font.
I think I was always in the camp of a lab leak/lab made. But I def got frustrated with members talking about it being a lab-made AND an intentional spread. With no proof. Then people were just dropping links websites and sketchy videos... Then ignore the fact that, a virus is a virus (man made or not) and will act a fool in the human body the way pathogenic viruses always do so act accordingly.....and that message wasn't being verbalized by many who suggested it was man-made. They took that, dropped links to bunk science, and let that be their guiding principal on what to believe. Then they told the rest of us with a smidgen of insight and background that we didn't know what we were talking about. When they started paying attention to this in 2021 when everyone else did and many of us had been following viruses since before Obama was President.

PatDM'T

I think I was always in the camp of a lab leak/lab made. But I def got frustrated with members talking about it being a lab-made AND an intentional spread. With no proof. Then people were just dropping links websites and sketchy videos... Then ignore the fact that, a virus is a virus (man made or not) and will act a fool in the human body the way pathogenic viruses always do so act accordingly.....and that message wasn't being verbalized by many who suggested it was man-made. They took that, dropped links to bunk science, and let that be their guiding principal on what to believe. Then they told the rest of us with a smidgen of insight and background that we didn't know what we were talking about. When they started paying attention to this in 2021 when everyone else did and many of us had been following viruses since before Obama was President.
The thoughts in
bold were my
sentiments too.

I distinctly remember
hearing of/seeing
"a patent" to study
what was believed
to be the COVID-19
virus early when
the pandemic was
just beginning and
I remember those
receipts being called
conspiracy theory because
those that wanted
to believe it was
not research but
a deliberate weapon
in the making
gave the story
a bad rap and
distracted from the
accidental lab leak theory.

Evolving78

Half of Americans have reported having covid. That is literally a coin flip. In the non-reported half there's no telling how many were asymptomatic and don't know they had it. The odds of never having caught covid but coincidentally having a long covid symptom is not a narrative, it's a long shot.
I think less than half reported having it.

vevster

Lylddlebit

Gotta laugh to keep from crying.. well ladies, I’ll be back to masking. I didn’t have a mask on when I went to the library… that won’t happen again.
Most of the time I am the only one masking when I go places. I continue to mask in doors but am mask free when outside. I don't think it is the mask per say that is helpful but I do think small steps on being mindful of these times have been helpful in remaining healthy.

Crackers Phinn

My easing up on masks was confined to groups of 4 or less in large enough spaces to distance and outside still distancing. When I go to the grocery store or pick up take out, I am usually the only person outside of employees wearing a mask. Some of my hypochondria has rubbed off on ye olde man so while I know he's less stringent than I am with the mask I have watched him back away when random people get within arms length. I still have employees out with covid at least once a month.