The Curlformers Tips Thread

catgurl

Hi Everyone,

I thought it would be great if we could have one thread where we share Curlformers tips, pics, etc. And ask questions too!

I've been using Curlformers for 4 months now and I love them. I don't have any pics of my hair with CF (sorry!) but I've done a lot of research. Below are my tips with a few links to some great YT tutorials.

Post your tips! Looking forward to seeing what other members have learned! TIA! :grin:

Catgurl's Curlformers Tips
1. Research first! Watch YT tutorials, you will save time and hair.

2. Section hair and detangle thoroughly! It will go faster in the long run.

3. Twisting each section at root makes it easier to keep hair on hook, but it should be a single twist close to scalp only. Hair should NOT go into curlformer twisted.

4. If you work from nape forward (as stated in directions) make sure you have plenty of curlformers for your hair!

5. Naturals, one set will not be enough (most likely)! (I need minimum 46 long&wide).

6. Gel or setting lotion will make curls last longer.

7. After removing, Rake with fingers or wide tooth comb to separate curls for a more natural look.

8. If it pulls, hurts, tugs YOU ARE NOT DOING IT RIGHT. Stop and go back to tip no. 1

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=210873

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDt-pGfsUAo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYKnPmi-ZCU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sowci80ZZIo&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oYTLFjlzug&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Enyo

Does anyone have any tips about my ends? I thought they were not as smooth because they were not going over my edges. But I paid close attention the last time I did my hair, and they are not hanging out. Do you think my ends are just really damaged and therefore not curling as well? They don't look horrible, but they are frizzer.

LushLox

Good girl this is right on time - thanks! :grin: I've been thinking about purchasing a pack or two for a while now. I think my hair is at a good enough length to try these on!

ETA: Can I add our very own member Monigirl who does an awesome set. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYKnPmi-ZCU :D

Last edited:

Enyo

Good girl this is right on time - thanks! :grin: I've beenthinking about purchasing a pack or two for a while now. I think my hair is at a good enough length to try these on!

I'd get the big pack they sell. It's more economical. I have natural hair, but it is very fine, and I use 30 rollers each time. I'm going to buy an extra 8-pack because there has been more than one time that I've finished with no rollers left to spare. 1 or 2 packs isn't going to do much on an adult head.

ceebee3

Does anyone have any tips about my ends? I thought they were not as smooth because they were not going over my edges. But I paid close attention the last time I did my hair, and they are not hanging out. Do you think my ends are just really damaged and therefore not curling as well? They don't look horrible, but they are frizzer.

How do you seal your ends? I seal with a serum after I've added my leave ins and my ends are always fine.

I love curlformers.

LushLox

I'd get the big pack they sell. It's more economical. I have natural hair, but it is very fine, and I use 30 rollers each time. I'm going to buy an extra 8-pack because there has been more than one time that I've finished with no rollers left to spare. 1 or 2 packs isn't going to do much on an adult head.

Well I was going to get a pack of 40 - will that not be enough? :perplexed

cch24

My tip is to buy 6 of the rods. It takes much less time to put 6 in your hair, and reload six, than it does to put one in your hair, reload, reapply product to your hair that got dry, and then put the curlformer in your hair!

wannabelong

Ihave 2 tips:

Tip #1 - is to use small sections of hair. This will make it easier for you to pull the hair through.

Tip #2 - make sure your hair is not over moisturized. If your hair is too soft/mushy you will rip your hair when pulling it through. Trust me, this is from experience. :(

Enyo

How do you seal your ends? I seal with a serum after I've added my leave ins and my ends are always fine.

I've read some stuff about end sealing, but I don't do it. Don't know what that means, honestly.

Oh, yeah. I didn't realize you were getting the kit, not the packs of 8.

catgurl

Hurrah, the thread lives! Thank you for posting!

I have just made APL and I have fine strands but a lot of them (if that makes sense). No matter how many times I tried I could not get all of my hair in 40 cf. If the sections are too thick the hair will not go thru and will snag and pull.

I tried twisting the remaining hair, bantu knots, etc. but was always real obvious especially as it was in the front. I finally broke down and bought a extra small packet of 8.

I've read some stuff about end sealing, but I don't do it. Don't know what that means, honestly.

Oh, yeah. I didn't realize you were getting the kit, not the packs of 8.

Sealing is the last step in a routine and is done by using an oil or a butter. It locks the moisture in.

Sisterslick wrote this amazing post where she breaks it all down. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=84746 When I found this I paid my membership fee! I needed to give something back!

Lets keep it going. I know there are some more CF fans out there.

Enyo

Sealing is the last step in a routine and is done by using an oil or a butter. It locks the moisture in.

Sisterslick wrote this amazing post where she breaks it all down. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=84746 When I found this I paid my membership fee! I needed to give something back!

I actually rub wild growth on my ends, so yeah, I guess I seal then. And thanks for posting that amazing thread. I'm going to read it when I get home tonight.

CleverGypsy

Great thread. I love curlformers (my avi pic is a CF set). I use Jane Carter Wrap and Roll and a bit of argan oil to seal. I'm wondering what products ya'll are using the day after to moisturize? Butters?

Enyo

I actually don't need to moisturize my hair when I curlform. Sometimes I'll just spritz it with whatever I have lying around for shine, but it stay soft for all 3 days.

so1913

I've had curlformers since December...I ordered them from Sally's and haven't even opened the package/box...not even to check the order lol. That's how nervous I am about using them. Will be keeping an eye out on this thread...

catgurl

I don't need to moisturize either. If I do then my hair will frizz up and lose the curl. I just loosely twist or braid. Maybe add oil to my ends.

Curlformers are really worth the hype. I used to blowdry every two weeks but I've been no heat whatsoever since October, largely due to Curlformers. BSL here I come!

CleverGypsy your hair is beautiful!

Enyo

I've had curlformers since December...I ordered them from Sally's and haven't even opened the package/box...not even to check the order lol. That's how nervous I am about using them. Will be keeping an eye out on this thread...

What's making you nervous? I had a blast the first time I used mine. But hair is like a ritual for me - puts me in a good mood. So I have fun most of the time.

LushLox

I find castor oil to be a great sealant. When I'm using flexi rods my curls come out so silky. I'm sure it'll be great to use with the curlformers.

LadyRaider

I like them a lot. But I haven't gotten them to last more than a day. They take too much energy to put in for a one day deal!

Vintageglam

Ladies a few questions for ya for the curlformers:

1. How long does it take you to roll up ?
2. How many curlformers on average do you use? (I am buying 40)
3. How long does it take to dry under a hood dryer?
4. How many needles did you buy?
5. Have you had any damage or have the curlformers increased the health of your hair?

TIA Ladies :grin:

catgurl

I like them a lot. But I haven't gotten them to last more than a day. They take too much energy to put in for a one day deal!

I'd agree! But have you tried using gel or setting lotion to make it last? It worked for me.

Ladies a few questions for ya for the curlformers:

TIA Ladies :grin:

Thanks for your questions PR. Here are my answers:

1. How long does it take you to roll up ? It takes time to get the hang of it. 1st time it took me over an hour! But I made a lot of mistakes and had to redo it. Now it takes me about 45min. When I used flexirods I could never do my whole head in less than 45 min, so I'm satisfied.

2. How many curlformers on average do you use? (I am buying 40) I need 46 of the long and wide. I have fine hair but lots of it. It is better to use small sections cuz large sections won't fit and your hair will get caught. Ouch!:nono:

3. How long does it take to dry under a hood dryer? Haven't tried this yet. I haven't used any heat whatsoever since Oct. I love that you can get silky smooth results just with air-drying overnight. You must let the CF completely dry though! Otherwise its HAM city!

The set comes with two needles. I only used one needle but since one of posters above mentioned loading up extra needles, I'll try this in the future.

5. Have you had any damage or have the curlformers increased the health of your hair? I found that split-ends are more noticible with the cf. (Compared to twist-outs) But I know I had these before from blowdryer abuse so I just dust them.

I wouldn't say that cf "increased the health" of my hair. But flexirods only worked with heat for me and I liked having the styling option. I would never have been able to go heat free for so long without cf!:grin:

blackbarbie986

^^^ your set came with two hooks, mine only came with one. anyone else got two hooks in their box?

I have problems seperating my curls, they get puffy or lose their definition no matter what holding product I've used. Anyone got tips?

catgurl

I have problems seperating my curls, they get puffy or lose their definition no matter what holding product I've used. Anyone got tips?

Hmm, I haven't had this problem. I use a cone-free gel like the one by Samy. Great hold and a little goes a long way. Then I use my fingers to separate a few curls into two pieces.

In my research, someone suggested using a wide tooth comb to separate. I plan to try this on my next set sometime this week.

Enyo

1. How long does it take you to roll up ?

About 45 minutes - could be shorter if I didn't watch TV while I did it.

2. How many curlformers on average do you use? (I am buying 40)

36 - mostly long and wide, but I use 8 long and narrow in the front to frame my face.

3. How long does it take to dry under a hood dryer?

1:15 if I don't get up at all.

1, but I'd been thinking about using more to make the process faster. Sometimes I go through sections of my head with loose rubber bands so I can just pull them off and pop the roller on. Sectioning the hair properly is the biggest time consuming step for me. I can reload pretty quickly.

5. Have you had any damage or have the curlformers increased the health of your hair?

The only near damage is when I tried to yank my hair through (stupid, I know). Once I learned that I was sectioning to big, then everything was fine. I feel curlforming is less damaging than other styles. I lose hair easily because of my medications and there only are few hairs in the sink when I'm done.

Fhrizzball

I did a curlformer set awhile back. You can see the pics in my blog. Even with setting lotion it didn't seem to last long (used lottabody) I have to play with the ratios I suppose. It turned dread-locy quick too but I was at a lost on how to sleep in it. I still like it though I just need to tweak it some more.

Sorry for the size

When I knew I had to throw in the towel

bluediamond0829

Mine always comes out messy not as neat looking. I think im doing something wrong. Is people applying somekind of product(setting lotion) to their hair and let it either air dry or sitting under the dryer to dry is that correct?

Enyo

Mine always comes out messy not as neat looking. I think im doing something wrong. Is people applying somekind of product(setting lotion) to their hair and let it either air dry or sitting under the dryer to dry is that correct?

Yes, I use Lottabody and then set it. Nothing else. If you're natural let me ask this: are you brushing your hair smooth before you put the curler on?

Last edited:

catgurl

I don't normally use gel, only when using cf. Detangling and sectioning are also extremely important.

I usually only detangle with a wide tooth comb in the shower. But when cf-ing I detangle in the shower, then use a seamless rat-tail comb to section and detangle all the way to tips. My hair has to be wet and have leave-in condish in it so I don't have any snags or loss of hair. I have a spray bottle handy so I can re-wet sections as needed.