The Curlformers Tips Thread

bluediamond0829

Yes, I use Lottabody and then set it. Nothing else. If you're natural let me ask this: are you brushing your hair smooth before you put the curler on?

No i'm not brushin it---i usually just take some hair to section it and then curl form it..

LushLox

Do any of you guys use curlformers on dry hair, cause that's how I plan to use them initially.

SOserious

:grin: Im so glad that this type of thread existed!!!

I already have the kit. I gotta buy more curlformers but i need to adjust the type of conditioner..I think i have too much moisture and not have enough protein.
I am buying two more! extra wide&long plus long &narrow!:drunk:

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I love them! Great for ladies who are transitioning.

The challenge for me is how to maintain the curls after Day #1. Also, how do ya'll sleep in these things?

bimtheduck

Purchased the salon kit, and 1 hook at Sally's for 15% off entire purchases. The salon kit included 1 hook 40 long and wide and 6 short and wide.

Liked the result so then I went online to Sally's website and purchased 5 packages of the long and extrawide and 3 additional hooks for 25% off entire purchase and free shipping.

I took someone's advice and purchased extra hooks so that I could pre-load a set of hooks, put in the curlformers and then load the next set. It apparently saves a lot of time.

Can't wait to see my resluts with the extrawide!

30something

The sets almost look like flexi rod sets, seems like flexi rods would be better on air drying hair because you get to smooth down the ends on the flexi rod, making the ends dry smooth. I'm sure if I used these my ends would come out frizzy

CurlyLawGal

I tried curlformers for the first time last night, and WOW... I am in love:love: I am not very good with roller sets (actually, I am awful at them), so I thought this might be a challenge for me. Nope! I got the hang of it pretty quickly, and I know next time will be a breeze. Here are a few tips I learned from my first "application":

1. Section hair. It is sooooo much easier (and less complicated) to go section by section. I did 9 sections throughout my hair.

2. Apply leave-in before sectioning. Apply wrap/set lotion when you take each section down (this way, you wont have to keep re-applying product if your hair dries quickly)

3. Keep a water bottle handy!

4. Buy an extra pack, but don't open it. I purchased the full kit, but I should have had an extra pack just in case I ran out (which is exactly what happened !! !). My heart sank when I got to my last section and I only had one left. :nono: If you don't need them, at least you can take them back.

5. If it doesn't pull through easily, do NOT yank your hair through. Gently (and calmly) push the hook back up and start again.

HTH!

CurlyLawGal

Sorry for the large pic. I don't know how to shrink it on my phone

JayAnn0513

I make 30 look good!
The sets almost look like flexi rod sets, seems like flexi rods would be better on air drying hair because you get to smooth down the ends on the flexi rod, making the ends dry smooth. I'm sure if I used these my ends would come out frizzy

Because your hair is inside the roller you might be surprised.

outspokenwallflower

Bumping *bump*

I gotta know...for ladies who let it dry overnight, do you have any tips on how to sleep on them? I've tried in the past and they are SO uncomfortable! How do you deal with them? For those who use a dryer, what technique do you use to maintain the curls overnight? I plan on putting them in today for tomorrow and I want to know if I will have to suffer overnight or if I could maintain them somehow.

bride91501

I tried these last week and they were an epic fail, but I'm sure it was me not the curlformers :ohwell:

I bought the mega pack with the 46 (?) curlers in it, and tbh, that really wasn't enough but I made it work. I could have used a good 10-12 more curlers. My strands are medium to fine, but they are high density. It took me about 2 hours to put them in. I kept them in for about 18 hours before removing them the next afternoon.

Sleeping on them was one of the worst experiences of my life (ok, maybe it wasn't that bad, but it was pretty close lol)...it was sooo uncomfortable.

I used KBB nectar as a leave-in, then COM Argan Oil Foaming Wrap Lotion to set. I now realize my main mistake was that I should have used a serum or heavy butter (like my beloved shea butter) on my ends to seal, because my ends came out bushy and crunchy.

I hope this helps someone :) I'm going to try them again this weekend on one of my DDs for back to school....wish me luck :wink2:

kupenda

I loves my curlformers! My SO does them for me and I always love how they come out. I use the short and wide and long and wide. They come out adorable every time. I usually do them on wet hair with a little paul mitchell super skinny serum. I haven't done it on hair with a decent leave in because I hadnt found one until abt two weeks ago. I hope to do a curlformers set tomorrow. Mine only last a day but I also haven't made an effort to make them last before. I will try to do so this week. And I've "slept" in them. Awfulawfulawful. Never again. Next time I'm going under the dryer and then leaving them in for a longer amount of time. I will never again try to sleep in those things again. I always use 40 curlers. But I need at most two more packs to really get the effect and volume I'm hoping for

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

mEmYSELFaNDj

I love love love curlformers. But I wish all the sizes came in extra long. Like an extra wide and extra long set, or extra long and narrow set. That would be awesome. But until they get smart and make those sizes, I'll just have to stick to the extra long and wide ones.

Here are a couple pics of my last curlformer set, mind you this was Day 3 hair (this set lasted me a whole 7days, love curlformers yaay)

I have more pics in my fotki

bride91501

Ok, Curlformers, Round 2:

I did these again, this time on my sister, who has been transitioning for about 16/17 months. She's a 4a (I think), and has about 3" of relaxed ends left.

After washing, DCing and detangling her hair, I used Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner as her leave-in. Then I sprayed each section with diluted setting lotion to set her hair, and applied ICC Fantasia serum to seal and smooth her ends (critical step I left out last time!)

She air-dried for about 2 hours, then went under the bonnet dryer just to be safe for another 45 minutes or so. Here are the results:

My sis, who is a recovering hair dresser junkie, said her hair has NEVER had this much bounce, shine and movement. Neither one of us could believe how straight her hair had gotten without any heat. These things are like magic!

I'm a curlformers believer :grin:

mEmYSELFaNDj

@Solitude Thank you! After I rinsed my hair, I spritz it with Aloe vera juice, added Giovanni direct leave-in, and It's a 10 leave-in. And as I added the curlformers if my hair started to get dry I would spray it with water. Thats it! No real setting products.

I think they lasted that long because of how I covered my hair at night. I pushed the curls up towards the top of my head, kinda like the pineapple(minus the elastic band), and I put on my satin scarf. My satin scarf has kinda like a pocket in the back, like it hangs down in the back. So instead of having the pocket hang in the back I postioned it towards the top of my head to hold the curls up there. I know that probably doesnt make any sense, sorry. but anyways that helps to preserve my curls, so the only ones that flatten out are the ones on the bottom. And the curls on the top/front keep there shape.

Last edited:

Solitude

^^^ Nope, it actually makes perfect sense. I use the pineapple method sometimes to keep my braidout pattern and I have one of those scarfs with the hole in the back. I'll try that next time, thanks.

MissRissa

@Solitude Thank you! After I rinsed my hair, I spritz it with Aloe vera juice, added Giovanni direct leave-in, and It's a 10 leave-in. And as I added the curlformers if my hair started to get dry I would spray it with water. Thats it! No real setting products.

I think they lasted that long because of how I covered my hair at night. I pushed the curls up towards the top of my head, kinda like the pineapple(minus the elastic band), and I put on my satin scarf. My satin scarf has kinda like a pocket in the back, like it hangs down in the back. So instead of having the pocket hang in the back I postioned it towards the top of my head to hold the curls up there. I know that probably doesnt make any sense, sorry. but anyways that helps to preserve my curls, so the only ones that flatten out are the ones on the bottom. And the curls on the top/front keep there shape.

OMG thank you for the tip, never thought of doing the pineapple. mine always look a hot mess the next morning. i also wish they all came in extra long. i want the wide, extra long ones.

I agree with the other poster who said you should buy multiple hooks. At one point before i gave a set that was too short away to my mom, i had 3 hooks and i would have my daughter load them up as i went along. cut an entire 20 min off the process no lie vs me just loading them one by one myself.

WriterGirl

I love my Curlformers. It's been making my transition to natural so much easier.

I usually mix the long and wide (bottom part and sides) with the extra wide and long (on the crown) because the curls come out too tight other wise.

I usually dry mine under the dryer for about an hour and sometimes I sleep in them, which is NOT the business. :lol:

To maintain, I usually pincurl at night and they actually come out really good. If my growth is really swollen from the humidity, I put it small ponytails first and then pincurl. I wear my hair down for 3-4 days and then wear my hair up until Sunday, which is my wash day.

I also work out 3-4 days a week and usually put hair up in a high pony or in pincurls (I don't sweat much in my head and work with mostly weights).

I agree with others, definitely use smaller sections -- that helps with dry time as well. I usually spay the roots with water and twist them twice in the direction of the curlformers so that the roots are nicely stretched.

I use either Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Leave-in or Giovanni Direct Leave-in. Seal with either castor oil or Dax grease and that's it. I haven't tried any setting lotion yet.

I've also use them on blow-dry hair and even re-set them on a old set for nice waves.

Here's a pic of using just the long and wide. I have more pics my fotki.