The Curlformers Tips Thread

mEmYSELFaNDj

OMG thank you for the tip, never thought of doing the pineapple. mine always look a hot mess the next morning. i also wish they all came in extra long. i want the wide, extra long ones.

I agree with the other poster who said you should buy multiple hooks. At one point before i gave a set that was too short away to my mom, i had 3 hooks and i would have my daughter load them up as i went along. cut an entire 20 min off the process no lie vs me just loading them one by one myself.

OMG yes every size needs to come in extra long, they need to get smart and go ahead and do that, because I really like the set you get from the extra wide ones, but my hair is too long for them. :sad:

Yes I have 5 hooks!! And it makes things much quicker and easier.

mEmYSELFaNDj

Oh and fyi: Last week I bought a bunch knockoff long and extra wide curlformers from off of ebay. Those ones weren't the real curlfomers but great knockoffs I almost can't tell the difference between my real ones and the knockoffs, the only difference is the width of the opening is a tad bit smaller and the hook is blue instead of gray, other than that they are just as good as the real ones and even better because they are cheaper and you get more. They sell the different sizes, but I only see one size for sale on ebay today.

If anyone is interested in those here's the link to one of their auctions: http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-LONG-Hai...692?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2313b5a0fc

and here's there blog with pics:
http://roufiesfaves.blogspot.com

Last edited:

beloved1bx

Oh and fyi: Last week I bought a bunch knockoff long and extra wide curlformers from off of ebay. Those ones weren't the real curlfomers but great knockoffs I almost can't tell the difference between my real ones and the knockoffs, the only difference is the width of the opening is a tad bit smaller and the hook is blue instead of gray, other than that they are just as good as the real ones and even better because they are cheaper and you get more. They sell the different sizes, but I only see one size for sale on ebay today.

If anyone is interested in those here's the link to one of their auctions: http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-LONG-Hai...692?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2313b5a0fc

This is a great find. I tried curlformers once but my APL hair was too long for the regular ones, and didn't want to go back and forth trying to exchange them for the extra long ones online since they're so expensive.

I saw listings for the long & narrow ones too through their store:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/afriktrends/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

I bought them again and did a dry run lol and this time actually did neater sections. i remember when I did them before and b1tched about them I was not sectioning, just being haphazard and nervous and no wonder lol. So going by my dry run I should have a successful go with them tomorrow :D. Excited about it now. Only thing is I do want to flat iron my roots so I plan to air dry first, flat iron my roots and then just use a spray bottle to wet down the sections. My hair air dries very fast because it's porous. I'll probably just use Chi Silk infusion as a setting lotion. Wish me luck.

I got 3 packs of the Extra Long and Wide and 4 packs of the Long and Extra Wide. Sadly my hair is too long for the Extra Wide, I do not understand why they haven't made Extra Wide/Extra Long!! I would SO buy those!

If it's not a disaster I will post some pics.

Last edited:
Wish they would make Extra Extra Long and Extra Wide :-/. My hair is too long for the Extra Long and Wide.
How many inches is your hair? The Extra Long and Wide hold up to 22 inches. My hair is at 23 inches in some places but I can still make it work. I'll be outgrowing them soon :( and it's a big investment. Maybe try putting it away from the roots to get some extra inches.?

djkforeal

I really like Curlformers, I bought a set off of ebay and the other knock off set that was like $6.00 for the shorter ones that were by Magic Lever. I have pictures on my blog of when I set my hair with the curlformers. I did it again recently and took a few picks. I used Eco Styler Argan Oil gel to set my hair in the curlformers. Since I am going on a no heat challenge I will be using them often. I just airdry in the curlformers and my set comes out nice.

hair7

Thanks for the tip! I ordered the extra wide. I hope they fit. If not, I may try to double up...i've heard ppl mention that but never tried it.

outspokenwallflower

Bumping...I have the salon set in long and wide i think (the pink and orange) from sallys but don't use them much because I've been wanting an elongated curl. I finally got the knockoff long and narrow ones and plan on trying them tomorrow. Question for those who have tried the long and narrow:

How small should the sections be, compared to the sections for the pink and orange (long and wide) curlers? My hair is about an inch above shoulder length, and I have some layers; it is also coarse BUT thin; would 48 curlers be enough for my hair or should I run to Sallys and get a pack or two?

**ALSO, FOR ALL: Do you guys place these close to the scalp or about an inch away from it?

WriterGirl

I've never used the narrow and long but they are smaller so you need to use smaller sections. I know that when I use the pink/orange ones I usually put in about 50-60 of them. I put them close to my scalp, I've found I get the most benefit that way because it stretches my roots nicely.

JJamiah

I bought a Kit and a pack last year of Extra long and wide, recently bought another kit of Extra Long and wide because I would have needed atleast 2-3 extra packs. Figured I'd buy the kit instead. So I have 2 kits and a pack.

I will use 2 rods as I have enough issues keeping up with one, and I'd love the time to go faster :)

this and my Wigs are my go to styles.

I use Lottabody & Water with a ratio of 1:5.

My style last a week. Looking for remedies for it not to tangle up on day 5 though.

civic4800

I used the long and extra wide ones tonight for the first time. I flat ironed the roots and fluffed them out.

Before flat iron/fluff

After

civic4800

@civic4800 That set came out goregeous! I love the extra wide rollers. I just wish that would make them extra long too.

Thanks! I did email the company asking if they'd release an extra long and extra wide curlformer and they said they're working on it. Those would be great b/c my hair was sticking out of the ends of some of the curlformers.

shortt29

pbuckley said:
Curlformers on damp hair, I would like any tips on how to maintain the curls. Tonight will be my first run at trying to sleep so that I can obtain second day hair. Any suggestions?

I usually pin curl mine at night and sleep with a satin bonnet. This can last me about 3-4 days

WriterGirl

^^^This is what I do as well. When it gets old (around day 4), I just do an updo or bun to last the rest of the week until wash day (on Sundays).

melissa-bee

My tip is to buy 6 of the rods. It takes much less time to put 6 in your hair, and reload six, than it does to put one in your hair, reload, reapply product to your hair that got dry, and then put the curlformer in your hair!

This is a great idea. I did my first curlformers set last weekend and I kept forgetting to load up the next curlformer.