The difference between coarse and thick hair?

SleepyJean

I always thought coarse hair related to the curl pattern(4B), and thickness refered to the number of follicles at the scalp. I thought thicker hair had more follicles, thus more cuticles. Please clarify. :perplexed

glamazon386

Coarse is how the strand feels to the touch. Coarse strands are usually bigger. Like the size of a piece of thread. Thick refers to the density. Like the number of strands on the head.

Last edited:

gymfreak336

Coarse is how the strand feels to the touch. Thick refers to the density. Like the number of strands.

Glamazon is right. Coarse hair feels very different. You can have thick stands of hair as well without it being coarse too. Generally, people who have coarse hair usually have a lot of it too but that is not always the case, many ladies here don't have thick hair in terms of density but their strands are coarse.

Coarse is more of a texture thing. Thick is usually used to describe the density of ones hair. You can have thick indivual strands too but that doesn't automatically mean they are coarse.

Also the number of cuticle layers you have is dependent on the thickness of each hair strand, not follicles. Uusally, if you have thick and coarse strands, you have more cuticle layers than anyone else.

glamazon386

Glamazon is right. Coarse hair feels very different. You can have thick stands of hair as well without it being coarse too. Generally, people who have coarse hair usually have a lot of it too but that is not always the case, many ladies here don't have thick hair in terms of density but their strands are coarse.

Coarse is more of a texture thing. Thick is usually used to describe the density of ones hair. You can have thick indivual strands too but that doesn't automatically mean they are coarse.

Also the number of cuticle layers you have is dependent on the thickness of each hair strand, not follicles. Uusally, if you have thick and coarse strands, you have more cuticle layers than anyone else.

This probably explains why some people with thick hair can pretty much do anything to it without suffering damage.

gymfreak336

This probably explains why some people with thick hair can pretty much do anything to it without suffering damage.

Girl, YES.. :lol: I wish I was one of them :lol: My sister is and it gets on my nerves. Homegirl can put a box perm in at noon, feria color in at 4 and still get to apl with no issues:sad:

CurliDiva

Ok, do I have this straight?

Thick are refer to either the actual strand of hair or the numbers of hair on your head.

A thick strand of hair may not be coarse.

Coarse refers to the texture of the indivdual strand.

So, someone could have coarse (texture of a strand) and thin (fewer strands than normal) hair?

I consider my strands fine but I have a ton of strands on my scalp! If I make a single ponytail I need to use two hands to hold it. :spinning:

AfroKink

I always thought coarse hair related to the curl pattern(4B), and thickness refered to the number of follicles at the scalp. I thought thicker hair had more follicles, thus more cuticles. Please clarify. :perplexed

My understanding is that coarseness refers to strand diameter. The longer the diameter (size of the strand) the coarser the hair is.

Lys

fluffylocks

Ok, do I have this straight?

Thick are refer to either the actual strand of hair or the numbers of hair on your head.

A thick strand of hair may not be coarse.

Coarse refers to the texture of the indivdual strand.

So, someone could have coarse (texture of a strand) and thin (fewer strands than normal) hair?

I consider my strands fine but I have a ton of strands on my scalp! If I make a single ponytail I need to use two hands to hold it. :spinning:

Yep, exept coarse refers to the texture of the strand because it has extra cuticle levels (if u needed to know that)

SleepyJean

I had the thick part right, but I'm confused by this statement.

SleepyJean

Ok I think I understand:

Coarse refers to the the number of cuticle layers

Thick either refers to the number of hairs on your head or the strand.

A thick strand has a large diameter, but may not be coarse.

Yea... I think I get it.

I have thick hair(a lot of hair). I don't know if it is coarse.

Correct me if I'm wrong

Last edited:

glamazon386

Yes CD. They could. One of my friends hair is like that. The actual strands looked kinky. She always described her hair as being thin but nappy (meaning coarse). My strands are very fine and I don't have that many of them. There's more now that I'm natural (I'm guessing some new ones filled in) but still not enough to have thick hair.

glamazon386

Ok I think I understand:

Coarse refers to the the number of cuticle layers

Thick either refers to the number of hairs on your head or the strand.

A thick strand has a large diameter, but may not be coarse.

Yea... I think I get it.

I have thick hair(a lot of hair). I don't know if it is coarse.

Correct me if I'm wrong

Your hair probably isn't coarse. Most people KNOW when their hair is coarse.

locabouthair

Coarse doesnt refer to the curl pattern. Coarse only describes the diameter of the strand. You can have 3 people who are 4b, but they can each have fine, medium, or coarse strands.

people used thick to refer to hair density, and thickness of the strands, which is why it gets confusing. I use the word coarse to describe the thickness (diameter)of my strands. Thick can be used to describe someone with a lot of hair. Some one can be a fine stranded 4b but she has a lot of density, therefore making her hair thick. A coarse haired 4b might not have a lot of strands, therefore her hair would be considered thin.

I hope that makes sense.

locabouthair

Girl, I wish that was the case.:ohwell: My strands are like wire, but I still had to deal with bald spots, overprocessing, and heat damage. And the dryness that comes with coarse hair is the worst:ohwell:

scribblescrabble2

Girl, I wish that was the case.:ohwell: My strands are like wire, but I still had to deal with bald spots, overprocessing, and heat damage. And the dryness that comes with coarse hair is the worst:ohwell:

I have this problem too. My most recent setback was due to me allowing someone to manhandle my hair. It's funny that my coarse hair is just as prone to damage as my fine textured hair.

SleepyJean

Your hair probably isn't coarse. Most people KNOW when their hair is coarse.

I know my hair is dense, EXTREMELY 4B(cotton ball) when natural, and it has been called coarse.

I did think my hair was coarse until this point.

I'm confused again though! :sad::perplexed:look:

May someone define it like this:

Coarse Hair:

Thick Hair:

Last edited:

glamazon386

I know my hair is dense, EXTREMELY 4B(cotton ball) when natural, and it has been called coarse.

I did think my hair was coarse until this point.

I'm confused again though! :sad::perplexed:look:

May someone define it like this:

Coarse Hair:

Thick Hair:

Coarse hair feels wiry. Kind of like a brillo or steel wool. Even when it's relaxed it'll still feel like that. I have some random coarse pieces throughout my head. They feel different compared to the rest.

SleepyJean

Okay...I reread Gymfreak's post, and I think I understand AGAIN! :grin:

Think= density
coarse=strand thickness

Let me stop now before I confuse myself again. :lol:

ChocolateSoda

I have fine hair that looks thick. Each strand very fine and delicate. :ohwell:

Is it possible to increase the cuticle, or is that all genetics?