The Difference Between Using Carusso Rollers and Other Heating Appliances?

divinefavor

I hope this is not a dumb question.

I know that it's not good to put heat in my hair everyday. However, sometimes it's hard to keep a style without putting my ceramic curling iron in my head. I don't use my curling iron all the time, but I love the effects I get after I shampoo and condition. I normally shampoo once a week on the weekends and that's when I normally use a my ceramic curlers and sometimes my ionic blow dryer. I normally where my hair down on Sundays for church and then try to wear a protective style or rollerset throughout the week.

I see that some people use Carusso rollers or other rollers like that on a regular. Why would other heat appliances be damaging to your hair and not the Carusso rollers?

TIA for your help!

Caruso curlers curl your hair using steam. When you use them, it's like doing a steam treatment. Therefore, its actually GOOD for your hair. If you do a search, there are numerous threads that mention this.

I don't know for sure and I've never used caruso rollers but IMO heat is heat and steam heat would have the same damaging effect over time as any other heat. I mean, I know my hair becomes wrecked if I sit in the suana unprotected (I always cover up with a plastic cap AND a towel). I know that steam is suppose to be a great way to infuse hair with moisture etc., but that should be every once in a while, not every day -- every day may be too much of a good thing. I don't know, but just my opinion.

BTW, I'm so scurrred of heat on my hair, that I don't trust it in any form, soooo I may be over reacting here . . .

I use my caruso rollers on a daily basis. It is not damaging to the hair, as it actually adds moisture to the hair in the form of steam. Too much moisture can cause hair to become lifeless but there is no way for that to happen with the steamrollers because there is only a little amount of steam. when i steam the roller, i can actually put my hand on the roller because it isn't smoking burning hot. I like how easy, fast, and non-damaging it is to use caruso and i get perfect curls everytime!!!

When I was 100% natural I used the caruso rollers almost everyday for a couple of years with no problem. The key for me was leaving the roller on the steam for a short amount of time, leaving the rollers in my hair for more than 20 minutes and then waiting 5-10 min. to comb it- this allowed me to "lock" in the curl and the results were always nice. I did not experience hair problems (breaking) when I used the rollers.

As I transition now, I am planning to purchase some Caruso rollers to use as an alternative to curling iron/rollersets. :)

Beauty advice: steam vs. electric curlers, which is better?

A debate over the advantages and disadvantages of using steam heat versus using electirc heat to style hair.

The stick-straight hairstyles of the 1990’s have given way to women wanting fuller, more voluminous hair tresses. Whether using a curling iron or a hair setting system, full and loose waves and curls have made a major comeback.

There are many products out there created to give women the curls they desire. Electric curlers and curling irons are a quick and easy way to create body, bounce and volume. After washing and blow drying your hair, rolling it in electric curlers is fairly simple and a great way to tend to other getting ready tasks while hair is setting. Spot touch-ups can be done with a curling iron after the rollers have cooled and been taken out. A great way to maintain the curls is to apply a light misting of hairspray before gently separating the curls with your fingers.

People who live in high humidity climates may run into the problem of curls falling out no matter how much hair styling products are used. Fabric covered rollers add to this problem since there is enough heat emitted through the rollers to get a good set on the curl. Plastic and/or uncoated rollers allow for fast heating and enough heat penetration for even the thickest and hardest to style hair.

There a few drawbacks of using electric rollers and electric curling irons. Mainly, curlers can become extremely hot, making them dangerous to grip. Pulling rollers from a heated set may result in burns to the fingers. Many rollers have a cool touch area, but that is still no guarantee that burns will not occur. The extreme heat may also cause damage to the hair follicle. This can result in split ends and heat damage, which causes hair to dry out and break very easily.

A wonderful alternative to using electric heat to curl hair is investing in a steam curling iron and rollers. Steam rollers can be used on all types of hair, including synthetic wigs. They are gentle on hair and can deliver a great, long-lasting curl. The steam adds moisture as it curls and prevents hair from drying out from the heat of the iron or rollers. Steam heat is also more successful in locking in curls. Hair is conditioned by the steam moisture and can add soft waves to even the most curl-resistant hair, leaving it softer and more manageable. The best thing about it is that you don't have to weigh down hair with any styling products, besides maybe a few squirts of hairspray. An added bonus of steam heat is the shine it gives to any hairstyle. One would think that steam or humidity would makes hair frizzy or flat, but most steam-heated styling tools only use gentle moisture to penetrate the hair's molecular core, allowing it to relax and bend. As the moisture evaporates, the hair is set in a curled position. The molecule hold is so strong; it can only be released by washing the hair. Because there is no damaging heat, these tools can be used as often as necessary.

Another huge bonus is how much more quickly the curl sets using steam heat. There is no need to wait for the curls to set. Each section of hair should only take about 30 seconds. The result is shiny and bouncy curls with little or no damage and the curls last all day. There are really no drawbacks for using steam heat when compared with electric heat. Any heat styling tool has the potential to damage your hair, but steam heat allows you to style hair more quickly with the moisture it needs to stay healthy.

I got my set from Sally's Beauty Supply Store. I cost between $35-40. I have also heard other ladies speak about Vidal Sasson's rollers. Apparently, they are much cheaper ($20) and work better.

I have nothing but great results with my steamer, It almost feels like I am cheating with the no heat regimen. My hair comes out bouncy, shiny, and I have found no damage to my ends whatsoever!

SerenityBreeze, thanks for the info. I looked at your album and you have nice hair. :)

I wonder if the steam rollers would work on natural hair? I'm transitioning.

I also got mine at Sally's. .... Maybe I should break mine back out and give it another try. I haven't used it in quite some time.

Caruso curlers (wet steam) are actually more nourishing for the hair than curling irons or heated rollers. But I do not like the way my hair looks after a Caruso set--it makes my hair frizz up. I have had better results rolling my hair the night before, or just forgetting the entire issue all together and pulling my hair back in a bun. Right now I am wearing the weave so that I can get 6 more inches of growth, but when I wore my hair out I never used hot curlers, blow driers, etc. more than 1-2 times per month, to maintain the health of my hair.

Last edited:
Ive used my steam rollers for 2 years and have no damage. I mostly rollerset now but I will use them to refresh my curls sometimes. My first set was the Caruso but now I use the Vidal Sasson (which I prefer). I have pics in my album.

I think they are a good investment.

There is a big difference here. Curling irons emit dry heat that is very damaging over time. I used to curl my hair everyday for years until it caught up with me. I have been using caruso rollers since november of last year and have maintained heat free(aka curling iron free) My hair is not only not breaking but is stronger and has a lot of body. Currently using caurso rollers daily since November. The effects of the steam is so much gentler on hair over time.

tuffCOOKiE said:
So wait, do you wash, blowdry then Caruso? Or, wash, airdry then caruso?

thanks

I don't blowdry at all. I just wash and conditioner as normal and do a wet set. The next morning I throw some caruso rollers in instead of bumping with a curling iron.

Dolapo said:
where can i get this stuff and how much is it?

Buy it on Drugstore.com. It is so much cheaper(around 21 bucks with rollers)

Vidal Sassoon steam ionizer-It's identical to the caruso steamer.

:grin: Hello Ladies,
Caruso, Vidal Sassoon,and Revlon each make this type of steamer hair setter. I now have all three and love each of them. Yeah, I am a closet PJ, but I enjoy it! :lol:
I found the Caruso to be expensive ($50), when Vidal offer the same thing minus about four rollers for only $20 and it has Ions too. The Revlon is the latest thing on the market ($30). It works on the same principle as the others with 2, yes two steamers on the surface.

The rollers are also different in that they are made of foam, but covered in thin rubber. So, it heats a little hotter than the others, but again without damage as it does not get hot enough to burn or damage the hair- you can still hold it in your hand like the others, but you can feel the heat, just not enough to burn. The rollers are a bit smaller so the curl is tighter and I like that.

I just don't like the set upfor the Revlon as it takes up more room that the other models. It has its own case tha holds the rollers and the water and heating element- too bulky! So, I use the base plastic container of the Vidal model and set the Revlon heating element in it. I already kept my curlers on the bathroom counter in this cute brass container. The heating container cup sits next to it. In other words, I modified the Revlon system to be exactly like the Vidal but now I can heat up two curlers at the same time. And because the curlers are covered in thin rubber, they don't lose their shape over time like the Caruso or Vidal ones do. Although I found that I could plump those back up simply by steaming them for a few seconds AFTER using them. Then they looked just like new and were ready for use the next day.

As usual I am rambling... but I really love these. And if I never learned anything else from this web site- it was to use these rollers and save my hair from uneccessary heat! Most important, don't leave them on the steamer too long. Take a few times to practice, say 15-30 seconds per roller, then roll dry hair and leave it in for 10-20 mins, remove, let hair air out for 1-3 mins and style. I don't use any other products like hair spray because I used that when I dried my hair (either blow dry or wet-to-dry with special flat iron) I find that each day when I steam set my hair it reactivates the styling products, so I didn't need to add more. Less product build up, less heat= less damage!

Hi Serenity Breeze,
I purchased the both the Revlon and the Vidal steamers from Ulta a BSS out here in the west. Also try online with Amazon.com or even Ebay. Good luck!

Back