The Doux, what it Doo baby!

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Thought I'd post a hub for The Doux products. Black woman owned company. Current or former beautician(cosmetologist). Currently in Target and Sallys if I'm not mistaken. Sometimes she goes on a tangent in her comments on Instagram... but I digress.

Ive purchased
  • Mousse Def
    • Great styler that works with a lot of other items. Very soft hold but flexible. On me, Type 4-a coarse, left my hair with a slight residue when used alone but it was nice, Never tried it on twists,
    • On my little one Type 4a , silky, works great alone as a washngo styler
    • On my Type 3 friend, he has some of the silkiest looking twists EVER combined with the Bonita Afro Balm
  • Big Poppa Defining Gel
    • Love this gel. Heavy Feeling , defining, long lasting curl definition. Only con for me is I can't use it in the winter due to the glycerin
      • The owner has something to say about sealing her products in and mixing stylers from her line. The gist of it is she feels you dont need oil to seal
        • I dont use oils in my washngos but in my twists/braids I do ,especially in the cold nj weather.
  • Bonita Afro Balm
    • too much shea butter for me. Too heavy
    • My little one Type 4 a shiny twists
    • My Type 3 friend, juicy shiny beautiful hair alone and with the mousse def
  • Wash & Go Box * ( just ordered)
    • No scrubs exfoliation shampoo
    • Thats Deep 5 minute deep conditioner
    • Pop lock 5-day curling forming glaze
    • Fresh to Def Leave in Curl Refresher

I wouldn't mind trying the one love cowash, fresh rinse conditioner and other items in the line. They just tend to sell out quickly. 95% of the time I dont use silicone or other harsh additives in my hair but doesnt bother me if I need to shampoo it out.

What have you tried from , The Doux ? Share your thoughts and ways youve used the products. Do you like them? Eh, its okay... etc

Last edited:

faithVA

I've only tried the Mousse Def. I use it to slick my hair back when I don't feel like being bothered. For some odd reason, mousses of all kind leave my hair straight with very little curl, so I can only wear it for slicking. I use it alone after I condition. It leaves my hair fairly stiff so I don't do anything to it once it dries. And I just rinse or shampoo to start from there. Interested to see how it works as my hair grows longer. Supposedly I can use this as a topper over my gel but I think I need to try it with just 1 pump.

I didn't know about the Big Poppa gel. Will read up on the ingredients and see if I want to try it out.

Also looking forward to trying out the Pop Lock 5.

Glad her products are doing so well.

shasha8685

I have used:

Mousse Def: a staple for me! I use it for my wash and go puffs (my hair is super defined and not crunchy) and for my twist outs.

C.R.E.A.M: use this as a twisting cream for my twist outs. It's pretty moisturizing and gives good definition.

We Want Easy: This is a leave in and I have found that it is pretty moisturizing and cuts down on frizz. I pretty much use this when I want to slick my hair into a bun or ponytail.

Fresh Rinse: Solid rinse out conditioner. Had my hair soft and easy to detangle. This, along with We Want Easy, left my hair moisturized for days!

Bonita Afro Balm: definitely NOT a twisting cream- my hair was flake city when I tried to use it for that purpose. I use a little bit around my hair line when I am wearing my hair in a puff or bun.

One Love: great co-wash for a midweek boost. Hair was soft and easy to detangle. I also like the bubblegum scent.

Big Poppa: I have only used this gel to provide extra hold for my twist outs since it can be used in conjunction with Mousse Def

Swag Goo: decent edge control but not as long lasting as Curls Control Paste

I have also purchased the shower cap, the tube scarves (great for pineappling hair when trying to maintain a twist out), detangling brush, and that mini detangling comb.

Overall, this line has more hits than misses for my hair. I want to try the shampoo and deep conditioner next!

oneastrocurlie

I've tried Mousse Def and the Cowash.

I like the mousse. It performs just the same as DE Cur Enhancing Mousse so for that reason I don't consider it a staple. I just buy whichever is cheaper (via coupon or sale) when I need more. And I might like this CR mousse better soooo lol. Overall nice product. I'd recommend if you want an OTG mousse.

I like the cowash as well. Only used it as cowash and don't plan on using it any other ways due to the cones in it. It does detangle very well. I like other cowashes better but not a bad cowash to have in the stash.

I may try to shampoo and DC in the future.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
  • No scrubs exfoliation shampoo
    • I used this after using a protein treatment and it was bubbly, softening and my hair rinsed clean. I only used it one time and I felt if I did a second wash my hair would have felt stripped
  • Thats Deep 5 minute deep conditioner
    • It went on creamy and after the water hit it, I could feel a slight tingle. After rinsing my hair was soft. Nothing amazing but soft. I think if your hair really needs a deep conditioning session, then dont use this. This is like the first step to getting a good base of moisture. I will use this up like a rinse out.
  • Pop lock 5-day curling forming glaze
    • Very creamy, glides onto the hair and defines. The hold is present but would be better suited to be a topper. For some reason this reminds me of Curl Junkies Curls in a Bottle. It enhances and controls frizz but for tighter curls you might only get two days out of it
  • Fresh to Def Leave in Curl Refresher
    • used this as the leave in right after rinsing the deep conditioner out. It didnt react with the forming glaze. Its creamy and spreads well. Today my hair isnt soft though. Its nothing but hold. This afternoon , Ill use it to refresh and see how it feels

I would not buy any of these products again. I prefer out of all her products, The Big Poppa Gel.

toaster

I looooove mousse def! It’s one of my staple products either over uncle funky’s daughter for a wash and go, or alone. Even if I use it alone I get a 3-4 day wash and go.

I’ve stocked up and have 4-5 extra bottles. It’s definitely the only hair styling product I’d bring on a swimming vacation. I’d shampoo, condition, and apply mousse def for a wash and go or a bun.

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
I absolutely love the mousse. I did a two strand twist style and the mousse allowed my twists to plump up vs weighed down from thicker and oiler products. I flat twist one side of my hair and it stayed down. Side bar... I did get product flakes but I can’t tell if the mousse cast started flaking or I didn’t wash out all of my ayur herbs (I went pretty OD on the hibiscus & aloe vera powder). I’ll try to monitor my wash days to see if it’s the mousse or my error that causes flaking.
D1E57DDA-E1A2-48EB-B3AE-4EE49D4372FD.jpegI’ll have to take pics of my sons hair over the weekend. I used the mousse + Kinky Curly Spritz Serum and used the curly sponge and got a lot of definition and shine.

shasha8685

Tried the Wash and Go line......loved the shampoo and deep conditioner. The Pop Lock glaze forms a hard cast that I am not a fan of (but it does define). The leave in is good as a 2nd day refresher.

sunshinebeautiful

I couldn't wait, bit the bullet, and tried Pop Lock yesterday. It is truly a glaze texture. It is easy to spread and apply to the hair. It has this heavy perfume-y smell that I was not really a fan of. I was hoping I would no longer be able to smell it when it dried :look: and so far so good. It gave a very firm crisp hold to my curls. After sleeping on them last night, my hair feels softer and the curls still look really good.

Let me also mention that in my application/styling, I first applied Uncle Funky's Daughter to soaking wet hair and then used Pop Lock as a topper, hoping it would deliver lots of hold. It's only Day 2, but I think it achieved that goal.

sunshinebeautiful

As far as the other Doux products, I've tried Big Poppa as a one-and-done wash and go. Didn't like it. It made my hair a forever moist feeling, sticky mess. I think it was the heavy glycerin in the formula coupled with very humid Florida climate. Will not repurchase.

I've also tried Mousse Def. I love that product. I've used it as a base product with a light gel on top for a fluffy wash and go. It looked fantastic for the few days that I needed it to. Would definitely repurchase.

sunshinebeautiful

I couldn't wait, bit the bullet, and tried Pop Lock yesterday. It is truly a glaze texture. It is easy to spread and apply to the hair. It has this heavy perfume-y smell that I was not really a fan of. I was hoping I would no longer be able to smell it when it dried :look: and so far so good. It gave a very firm crisp hold to my curls. After sleeping on them last night, my hair feels softer and the curls still look really good.

Let me also mention that in my application/styling, I first applied Uncle Funky's Daughter to soaking wet hair and then used Pop Lock as a topper, hoping it would deliver lots of hold. It's only Day 2, but I think it achieved that goal.

OK so that definitely didn't work out. On Day 3, I was not pleased with the longevity of the style. I rewashed yesterday and decided to use Pop Lock as intended, as a one and done product. I applied it to wet (but not soaking wet hair). I set the style under the dryer and it looked really good. I got a firm set with a bit of fluff/volume. Now to see if using it alone works better over the course of several days.

sunshinebeautiful

OK so that definitely didn't work out. On Day 3, I was not pleased with the longevity of the style. I rewashed yesterday and decided to use Pop Lock as intended, as a one and done product. I applied it to wet (but not soaking wet hair). I set the style under the dryer and it looked really good. I got a firm set with a bit of fluff/volume. Now to see if using it alone works better over the course of several days.

Back again. Pop Lock is a no for me. On my second try, again, by Day 3 my hair looked like a frizzy fro. I use other products that give me more longevity than this.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I grabbed a couple more Cowashes (One Love) for b/ups. I still haven't tried it yet:look: (I know) but....it gets really good reviews.