The hair sticks thread---all about hair sticks (pictures included)

jupitermoon

I *heart* hair sticks. Unlike other hair toys hair sticks require some practice but once you get the hang of it they are easy to use. The secret is just to weave the end of the hair stick through the hair gathering hair against the scalp and hair in the bun/updo.

There are a few different ways to insert hair sticks. You can simply start at the edge of the bun/updo and weave it through. You can start at the edge of the updo/bun, point the stick opposite the direction you want it to go grabbing some scalp hair, flip it over, then, weave it through. Doing this creates more tension and hold.

Here are YouTube videos showing how to insert a hair stick going in the opposite direction then flipping it over and weaving it through:

[video=youtube;R1y_56ncI70]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1y_56ncI70[/video]

[video=youtube;tjDD2r7kz5c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjDD2r7kz5c&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;tw6EUxfcl94]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw6EUxfcl94[/video]

Experiment with how much hair to gather when going in the opposite direction. If going in the opposite direction causes too much tension, you can simply just weave it through as described here: The Ultimate Guide to Using Hairsticks - How to Use Hair Sticks .

I've seen people insert it like this but my hair is too thick to do this I think; I'd probably break my sticks, lol:

[video=youtube;roL-8kqQXOw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roL-8kqQXOw[/video]

Hair sticks vary in size. If you hair is fine and/or not very long a size of about 4-5 inches usable length should be good. Those with very thick and/or long hair may prefer longer sticks. My hair is thick, long, and coarse so I prefer hair sticks that are 6-7 inches in length. I'm able to use the shorter lengths but the longer lengths hold my hair better and are easier for me to work with. Anything with a usable length of less than 5 inches is too short for me and greater than 7 inches is too long. Hair sticks vary in thickness too. I like the thicker sticks but not too thick. Some taper more on the ends than others; I prefer more rounded ends. All of this is a matter of personal preference.

As long as you're able to make a ponytail, then you should be able to use hair sticks. Hair sticks come in different materials such metal and wood. I find metal hair sticks to be very smooth. Just make sure the hair sticks are smooth. I keep sand paper around and sand the tips of sticks that I don't find smooth enough.

Hair sticks can be bought from your local beauty supply store or stores like Claire's but these tend to break easily and aren't really good for holding really long and/or thick hair.

Websites that sell good hair sticks:
Crystal Mood <---I bought my first hair sticks from here during the summer sale. All were less than $10.00. They are inexpensive and pretty well made. They hold well. These are nice inexpensive hair sticks for those that are new to using hair sticks.
www.WoodJewelry.com <----This site makes nice, simple, and inexpensive hair sticks. Ask for an extra smooth finish. The hold is great and they are sturdy. Ask for an extra smooth finsh; you may find them too rough without the extra smooth finish.
Dressy Tresses <---- I like these hair sticks. Longer lengths can be found here.
Ketylos <--- My favorites. These hair sticks are so smooth and slide through my hair like butter. They are super strong too. All of my sticks from here are 7 inches long and are in Dymondwood. Shorter lengths are available too.
Sticks and Stones <---- This site offers Ketylos with toppers and plain wooden hair sticks with or without toppers for reasonable prices.

Etsy.com has many great hair stick artists. Here are my favorites:
Quecraft <----Inexpensive, well made, and beautiful hair sticks.
Nightblooming <---- Has very cute and well made hair sticks.
BarefootMaiden <---- Her custom made hair sticks of almost 7 inches are very strong and sturdy. They're beautiful too. I love her metal hair sticks.
Anafiassa <---- I love her work and her matching earrings are gorgeous. Her work is well made and hold my hair well.
Aliarose <---- Sells very cute hair sticks and longer lengths of about 7 inches too. Her hair sticks are smooth and sturdy.

There's more out there of course but these are sellers that I have personal experience with and enjoy. Everyone, feel free to posts pictures of your hair styles created with hair sticks and/or your hair stick collections in this thread. Ask questions or give advice, opinions, etc. :yep:

jupitermoon

Hair sticks with toppers can be delicate. It's important not to drop them or wrap your hair around them (this can cause hair breakage too) or use them as an anchor for your updos. One good way to store hair sticks with toppers is in a mug. Here are some of mine:

Some of the many styles created by hair sticks include:

Bun:

^^^You can make multiple buns, change the position of the hair sticks, or just use one hair stick.

Braided bun. Braid your hair, twist it into a bun, and insert one or two hair sticks:

My Figure 8 bun:

Figure 8 bun going side ways:

Half up and half down:

Incomplete bun/ponytail:

My attempt at the Chinese bun, lol, lol :lol::

Keep the toppers and dangles away from the hair and don't wrap the hair around them to prevent damage to both your hair and the toppers/dangles:

The possibilities are endless. Have fun. I can't wait to see your pictures. Please share everyone. :yep:

Vavavoom

Those are some very nice hair sticks. I'd love to try these in my upsweep bun or even my daughters thick hair. Where can I find some?

jupitermoon

Amoreofcurls

You hair is just so darn beautiful *tear*....

I will definately be stalking this thread, I have 2 hair sticks that im having a hard time getting the hang of...

Solitude

I've stalked your albums looking at hair sticks...it seems so complicated! I plan to try some soon. The ones from the sites you posted are beautiful! I think it was because of you and Mwedezi that I ordered Flexi8 clips and even bought a Ficcare and I love those....

BTW, I have that same mug lol

WyrdWay

my hair sticks are chop sticks, the smooth finished ones that are usually painted, I find them in flea markets for cheap.

I have one spirl one that I made but it still needs some sanding.

jupitermoon

As WyrdWay has mentioned, chopsticks are good for holding hair up. Also pencils. Just make sure that they're smooth.

My hair held with an un-sharpened number 2 pencil:

I've stalked your albums looking at hair sticks...it seems so complicated! I plan to try some soon. The ones from the sites you posted are beautiful! I think it was because of you and Mwedezi that I ordered Flexi8 clips and even bought a Ficcare and I love those....

BTW, I have that same mug lol

Lol, that's one of my Mom's mugs that I decided to "borrow", lol!

Prior until about 2 months ago, I always shied from hair sticks until I just decided to by some cheap ones. Once you get the hang of it they're easy to use.

love it, will def be saving for when my hair is long enough.

Your hair is so pretty. To use hair sticks all you need is around APL hair and/or you should able to make a ponytail. Looks like you're almost there.

You hair is just so darn beautiful *tear*....

I will definately be stalking this thread, I have 2 hair sticks that im having a hard time getting the hang of...

Amoreofcurls. What are you having difficulty with? Perhaps I can help. Did you watch the videos posted above? I found watching videos on YouTube helpful.

yamilee21

*sigh* You just won't stop, CelinaStarr... I half-expect to find you outside my door one of these days, like this, but with a coat full of hairsticks. :lachen:
Just kidding, of course. ;)

I was using a pencil as a hairstick yesterday, and it rotated 180 degrees. The bun didn't fall or really loosen though. Even when I weave the pencil through a lot, it still tends to shift around. Would that happen with real sticks, or is it just a matter of practice?

jupitermoon

*sigh* You just won't stop, CelinaStarr... I half-expect to find you outside my door one of these days, like this, but with a coat full of hairsticks. :lachen:
Just kidding, of course. ;)

I was using a pencil as a hairstick yesterday, and it rotated 180 degrees. The bun didn't fall or really loosen though. Even when I weave the pencil through a lot, it still tends to shift around. Would that happen with real sticks, or is it just a matter of practice?

Lol! :lol:

I think a pencil is a little harder to use actually because they are bulkier and don't have tapered ends. I was never able to use a pencil until after I'd been wearing hair sticks for a while. I would try using chopsticks---they're more like actual hair sticks. Just make sure the ends are smooth. I don't think you would have the issue with the shifting around with actual hair sticks.

Have you tried just weaving it through like in the videos posted above instead of rotating it? When I rotate things into my hair, it tends to become undone.

andromeda

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! I love the ornamentation of the danglies and the topper. Are those matching earrings that I spotted in one of the pics?

I'm gonna save up for some quality hairsticks and buy the chopsticks (thanks wyrdway!) in the meantime. Can't wait for the day that I have a nice-sized bun!

jupitermoon

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! I love the ornamentation of the danglies and the topper. Are those matching earrings that I spotted in one of the pics?

I'm gonna save up for some quality hairsticks and buy the chopsticks (thanks wyrdway!) in the meantime. Can't wait for the day that I have a nice-sized bun!

Yes, the metal hair sticks with the pink toppers and dangles are the Shades of Romance hair sticks from BarefootMaiden . They came with free matching earrings.

Some sellers will give free matching earrings with their hair sticks. I've received free matching earrings from BarefootMaiden, NightBlooming, and RavensLair. Anafiassa makes beautiful matching earrings and sometimes gives free matching earrings with her hair sticks too. I've heard that Sticks and Stones make matching earrings upon request.

gadgetdiva

Absolutely beautiful!! I can't wait until I get enough hair to use them. My daughters have enough but they could only wear them when they're not at school.

PPGbubbles

Thank you so much for starting this thread!

I have admired your hair sticks as well as mwedzi and sera2544 on YT! I think they are so classy and chic. And I love how they jazz up simple updos. I eventually want to progress into more buns and updos as a protective style.

I have 2 cheap pair with rhinestones I got from sally's lol, but I still have not mastered getting them hold. I always thought it was because my hair was too short (Im APL) but maybe it is simply my technique.

thank you for posting vendor links. I will be saving up and preparing to reward my hair when I hit BSL

I hope some other poster will share their collections! and the styles they use.

jupitermoon

I can't wait to see others pictures too. Where are you?

I saw a nice picture in SmilingElephant's fotki of a Lazy Wrap bun held by one hair stick. SmilingElephant's hair looked absolutely gorgeous. Hopefully she'll share her picture. :yep:

ppg0069, thank you for mentioning Sera2544 on YouTube. I didn't know she uses hair sticks and have never seen her videos before.

Sera2544 is great! I love these video:

[video=youtube;y-Xape7LLgk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-Xape7LLgk[/video]

[video=youtube;WcOYkRJDHsw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcOYkRJDHsw[/video]

Sera also has a fotki with a beautiful hair comb and hair stick picture: Buns & Updos album | Sera25 (2nd Album):No PW-5 Years Natural 10-25-09* | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

mwedzi, has beautiful hair. I like looking at all of her styles using hair sticks. Thanks ppg0069 for mentioning these ladies.

jupitermoon

Funny coincidence is that i published a youtube video with a hair stick style yesterday. I bought my hair sticks from the etsy.com store Quecraft. I love the accessories in that store!
[video=youtube;8NlmrihJtS4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NlmrihJtS4&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NlmrihJtS4[/video]

MCrzyGr, wow! You did a great job with the video. I love your hair and your hair sticks looks great. Very nice updos.

PPGbubbles

So I am super excited and I have to share!!!! CelinaStarr

I just read the guide you posted on how to use the hairsticks and saw you posted that you only need APL hair.

I have my hair in a messy "southern tease-ish" bun today for work. I had it secured with a goody ouchless barrette. It always falls out so I redo it often....

I was fiddling in my purse for more bobby pins and I found one of the cheapy sticks I have from sallys, among other things *mental note to clean purse*

I used it and it actually worked! I took a pic with my phone and I wanted to share :) I never thought I had enough hair before, I always saw BSL+ ladies use them! this is awesome... the key is the weaving motion... I always kind of stuck it straight threw the bun...no wonder it wouldn't hold before!

Attachments

• hair stick success.jpg
    hair stick success.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 218

SmilingElephant

@CelinnaStarr.....i wanna see your whole hair stick collection altogether:laugh:....i bet you're halfway to CinnamonHair's status!!! Lol

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
Boy oh boy.The PJ in me is making me want to click those links!!
I'm working on a collection but it's nowhere near yours. I am stealing that cup idea. I've lost a few already. Luckily, I've not spent a ton of $$ on them yet.

I haven't taken many pictures yet. My signature is my blingy hair stick.

And my first successful chinese bun was done with a stick from quecraft (Click for slide show)
Some of the ones I have from her include:

Some of mine are more of a hair forks but you can use them similarly.

Last edited:

jupitermoon

So I am super excited and I have to share!!!! CelinaStarr

I just read the guide you posted on how to use the hairsticks and saw you posted that you only need APL hair.

I have my hair in a messy "southern tease-ish" bun today for work. I had it secured with a goody ouchless barrette. It always falls out so I redo it often....

I was fiddling in my purse for more bobby pins and I found one of the cheapy sticks I have from sallys, among other things *mental note to clean purse*

I used it and it actually worked! I took a pic with my phone and I wanted to share :) I never thought I had enough hair before, I always saw BSL+ ladies use them! this is awesome... the key is the weaving motion... I always kind of stuck it straight threw the bun...no wonder it wouldn't hold before!

:dance7:

ppg0069, you have beautiful thick hair. The Southern Tease bun looks nice. Congrats! Isn't it exciting?! You're right. The trick is to weave the hair stick through. Many people make the mistake of just sticking the hair stick in, but this is incorrect. You must weave it through grabbing scalp hair and hair in the bun/updo.

Yes, the hair doesn't have to be very long to use hair sticks. APL or perhaps even shoulder length will do, as long as you're able to make a ponytail.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/members/45347-albums2727-picture84827.html

CelinaStarr.....i actually have a photo of it in my LHCF album....here's the link. I'm still way too scared to go back into my Fotki:nono:

SmilingElephant, thanks for sharing. I love that bun!

1QTPie

Elder Sim
Hey I see me. :) I never updated and showed my hair sticks with natural hair. Whoops. Maybe one day.