The hair sticks thread---all about hair sticks (pictures included)

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
Waiting for the action shot. I've got my hair in a bun with regular hair pins. My hair is straight just now and most of my toys won't stay.

~formerly known as makemild ~~ live, love, learn & laugh

LOL
It took me a while to figure out you were makemild. My old mind can't keep up with name changes! Not allowed!!!:spank::spank:

itsallaboutattitude

Cancer Support in Health
[USER=49019]wavezncurlz[/USER];17715261 said:
LOL
It took me a while to figure out you were makemild. My old mind can't keep up with name changes! Not allowed!!!:spank::spank:

But I put it in my signature!!!

SmilingElephant

Thanks so much for that wavezncurls ! I now have and idea of how i can wear them in my hair:)

I watched the first video so far, I'll watch the others a little later .

Evo-ny

Ugh, I'm really having problems getting the sticks in my hair. If I pull too tight, I can't weave the stick through, but if it's too loose, the bun falls apart (or makes it look like I have a gigantic head).

I'm using the narrowest sticks I have, but my hair fine stranded and super dense. I can hear them snap if I force it too much. Any tips? Maybe it's just my technique that sucks.

ChocolatePie777

Yay for revived thread !.........

I should have updayed to say I lost my storm dot stick from ed....it was so beautiful*tears*.......moral of the story....never wear hair sticks with wigs.......

I still dont know how to use them righ without my hair/head looking bulky....I haz a sadness.....but I do plan on ordering from ed again............eventually lol

Evo-ny

Yeah, that's the problem I'm having, in the end I just give up and resort to a ponytail with the ends tucked in the holder. My ends are ravaged because of it, I need to learn to use these sticks properly!!!

itsallaboutattitude

Cancer Support in Health
[USER=226 said:
Lita[/USER];17715175]Can't wait for spring to bring my hair sticks back out..

Happy Hair Growing!

Yeah, I agree with wavezncurlz need to see some action shots from you. No need to wait for Spring.

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
Ugh, I'm really having problems getting the sticks in my hair. If I pull too tight, I can't weave the stick through, but if it's too loose, the bun falls apart (or makes it look like I have a gigantic head).

I'm using the narrowest sticks I have, but my hair fine stranded and super dense. I can hear them snap if I force it too much. Any tips? Maybe it's just my technique that sucks.

Yay for revived thread !.........

I should have updayed to say I lost my storm dot stick from ed....it was so beautiful*tears*.......moral of the story....never wear hair sticks with wigs.......

I still dont know how to use them righ without my hair/head looking bulky....I haz a sadness.....but I do plan on ordering from ed again............eventually lol

Evo-ny ChocolatePie777

Hey ladies,
I'm not sure what you mean by bulky? Can you show a picture?
As far as too tight or too loose - hmmm.... I don't do it very tight but definitely not loose. I don't do too much turning with my stick either because it gets it too tight and my scalp can hurt. I usually start with the style (like french roll or bun) and then insert the stick. That might be harder if hair is shorter?
I think that practice makes perfect though so don't give up! Every head is different.

itsallaboutattitude
Any suggestions/lessons learned on how you got the sticks to work for you?

How did u do that style? I love that stick!!

Actually, this is a cheat bun. I just wanted to take a quick picture of the stick. I put my hair in a ponytail with a silky scrunchy and flipped it into a messy bun. Then I spread my hair so the bun and covers the scrunchy. Then I slid the stick in on end of the spread bun. It's really decoration - not holding bun together but hides the scrunchy.

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
itsallaboutattitude
Action shot with Timberstone stick and what it looks like in person.

@wavezncurlz

Nice. I really like.

I just went back on to Timberstone Turnings and made my first purchase! $50.00 including shipping. He's got one on there for $35.00 and one for $60.00.

@itsallaboutattititude

I would like a more colorful one. His wood is very smooth and the stick is a good size.
I thought you ordered that same day you tagged me. You're a stick pusha! I can't wait to see it.

itsallaboutattitude

Cancer Support in Health
@itsallaboutattititude

I would like a more colorful one. His wood is very smooth and the stick is a good size.
I thought you ordered that same day you tagged me. You're a stick pusha! I can't wait to see it.

Well ain't this like the pot calling the kettle...?

I didn't really like the
Remaining choices that day. Ended up purchasing from a different vendor. I need to take some pics of my all my toys and post.

I've not really taken hair pics these past months.

Plan to go curly this weekend. Will take pics.

I really watched all of the videos jupitermoon and wavez and others have posted.

I will create a pony tail with my hand and then twist the stick in my hair and then pin.

I sell flexi 8 hair clips and the company has really good videos that can be used for updos and any hair toy.

ChocolatePie777

Evo-ny ChocolatePie777

Hey ladies,
I'm not sure what you mean by bulky? Can you show a picture?
As far as too tight or too loose - hmmm.... I don't do it very tight but definitely not loose. I don't do too much turning with my stick either because it gets it too tight and my scalp can hurt. I usually start with the style (like french roll or bun) and then insert the stick. That might be harder if hair is shorter?
I think that practice makes perfect though so don't give up! Every head is different.

itsallaboutattitude
Any suggestions/lessons learned on how you got the sticks to work for you?

Actually, this is a cheat bun. I just wanted to take a quick picture of the stick. I put my hair in a ponytail with a silky scrunchy and flipped it into a messy bun. Then I spread my hair so the bun and covers the scrunchy. Then I slid the stick in on end of the spread bun. It's really decoration - not holding bun together but hides the scrunchy.

This is what I mean by bulky..... Its prob just my head shape.....maybe i should do it when wet?.....but again I like slick edges....or maybe even a cheat bun like you said?

Last edited:

ChocolatePie777

Opps forgot pic.....
Im talking about the part just above my bun to the crown.....it is always too puffed it

ForumRunner_20130117_141055.jpg

Last edited:

itsallaboutattitude

Cancer Support in Health
[USER=281102 said:
ChocolatePie777[/USER];17727079]Opps forgot pic.....
Im talking about the part just above my bun to the crown.....it is always too puffed it

View attachment 189715

This is when you have to accept the curls, kinks and frizz. Slick doesn't always happen when you bun a head of curlz.

Check out my hair album on LHCF. I believe its open to the public. You can see that there are days that it just ain't happening. I just go with it.

Funny thing is one of my Indian co-workers repeatedly told me that he doesn't like my hair this week. He liked it two weeks ago when it was all curly. I bun 99% of the time curly/straight.

Evo-ny

Necro-bump!! But no need to completely empty your purses this time around!!

Picked these up at the dollar store (Dollarama), so all these cost only about 10 dollars! Found some claw types at Wal-Mart, but they were $5 dollars each. Still much cheaper than my $25 etsy hairsticks!

DSC_0139-1.jpg

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
Necro-bump!! But no need to completely empty your purses this time around!!

Picked these up at the dollar store (Dollarama), so all these cost only about 10 dollars! Found some claw types at Wal-Mart, but they were $5 dollars each. Still much cheaper than my $25 etsy hairsticks!

Evo-ny
Thanks for sharing your finds! Great haul!!!

Jewell

I use those hair forks from EBay as well Evo-ny. I just purchased 2 new ones 2 weeks ago. the 2 forks on the left I have in different colors...I find them quite comfy to wear even though they are brass/metal. :yep:

I love anything that is embellished with gems or crystals...like a magpie when it comes to that kinda stuff. Embellished hair toys (clips, sticks, claws, forks) are my weakness just like jewelry is! I'm always looking for new cute hair sticks or forks. I much prefer forks and clips as hair sticks slip out after a while.

I'm planning a big haul of hair toys soon. My hair has gotten a lot longer the last few years, and I need bigger pieces to hold it. Plus, I need to spruce up my boring everyday bun.

Last edited:

Jewell

wavezncurlz

Sure, I would be happy to. I will take some pics and then try to post them here tomorrow or Sunday (kinda busy next few days)...I will have to lay them all out and take pics. If I can't post here, I will post them in my Fotki-JewellStar since my pics are often too large for LHCF and I don't use the app. I would like a much bigger collection, but I have about 10 pairs of hair sticks and various clips about 10-15 of those.