The high bun now a popular look

RegaLady

Since my hair has hit a certain length, high buns with banana clips have been my cheap PS of choice. I LOVEEE it and it compliments my face far more than when I wear my hair out. Hgh buns and cute earrings are it!:yep:

BrownEyez22

I love high buns and I have noticed people are wearing them more as well. I went to a house party and 2 of my other natural friends all had high buns.

I can't wait for my hair to get longer, so it can be big and juicy.

Leeda.the.Paladin

Are these natural high buns or relaxed high buns? My hairs shrinks down to a bu not a bun.

I usually wear my twists in a high bun

BostonMaria

I love high buns. Its the easiest hairstyle to do when I'm pressed for time. There could be a rat's nest inside that bun but nobody will know LOL

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
It's my daily style. I am wearing it now. I don't like my hair down except for special occasions. And the longer my hair gets I cannot do ponytails because I don't like it on my clothes.

Anavrin

I just discovered how to create a full/big high bun with my own hair and Im rocking it almost every day lately with a scarf as a headband and some big earrings if Im feeling really fancy lol :) Loving it! I would have been wearing them a long time ago if I had figured it out sooner.

I like it on top because I dont look bald from the front like I do with a low bun in the back. My hair isnt even long enough to have a decent bun or pony because I mini chopped it to the bottom of my neck...but if I put it up in a high puff and then take pieces and wrap them around in one direction until its a full circle, it gives me a great bun! Nice, quick go to style and the hubby even likes it. :yep:
Do you by any chance have the tutorial you used for making your high bun?

And do you use a clip on or weave?

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
High buns are beautiful and elegant ... on other people. My big Sade forehead and tragic edges won't allow such a style on me, but I can admire it on others.

kandake

Can shoulder length ladies wear high buns??

Are you natural? If so you can put your stretched hair into a puff and pin the hair to create a bun.

I'm at the very top of shoulder length and I can do it. However, it takes a little effort. If your hair is full shoulder length it will be easier.

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I rock a high bun occasionally when I want to switch up from the back bun. I feel like the high bun makes me look/feel younger than when it's pulled to the back.

I had a strange experience when I wore one once though. :ohwell: I was at a small concert and was rocking a high bun and I overheard the guy behind me say that I was blocking his view with my hair all high up on my head. I'm tall (5'10 1/2) and I guess he had a Napoleon complex so he decided to bust on my bun. He was an idiot though.

kandake

I can't wait for my hair to get long enough to do this style. I refuse to use extensions.

I felt the same way until I was introduced to kinky braiding hair.

I've been fooling people left and right. But I feel bad when I have to tell people it's not my hair. They look so disappointed. :lol:

yodie

This is the style that I'm working on achieving.
A lady at church had a faux high bun and bang. Looked cute on her.

levette

High buns are beautiful and elegant ... on other people. My big Sade forehead and tragic edges won't allow such a style on me, but I can admire it on others.

You know, I have a huge forehead but I rocked my high bun anyway. But on a side note, I will be wearing a side bang with it. It looks better on me that way

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
You know, I have a huge forehead but I rocked my high bun anyway. But on a side note, I will be wearing a side bang with it. It looks better on me that way

True. If I were to attempt this style, a bang would be mandatory for me.

ItsMeFre

lamaria211 said:
My 3yr old son loves a high bun on me:)

That's funny, my 5 yr old daughter doesn't like when I wear one. She would prefer I wear it down lol...kids...sheesh

ManeStreet

pic is me right now. it wasnt planned. i put it high like this to sleep in & popped a bonnet on top & today i decided to keep it. i dont feel so bad now that i see this thread. lol

ForumRunner_20120628_134933.jpg

why r my photos sideways?! grrrrrrr

Dposh167

My hair isn't that long so I use extensions for my high buns. I will try to post a tutorial in how I do it for those who have shorter hair

Leslie_C

Do you by any chance have the tutorial you used for making your high bun?

And do you use a clip on or weave?

Your hair looks plenty long enough for one...you may need some texture to it for it to hold a puff (and I bobby pin it in 2 or 3 places so the band/tie wont slide back or off lol)...I would suggest doing a braidout or bantu knot out on air dried hair to make it fuller to make as big of a bun as possible. I stalk youtube constantly so I cant remember where I saw the tutorial that finally helped me master it, but Ill try to find a good one for you :) No, I dont add hair...Ive never been much of a weave person. I had a short stint with braids in my early 20s and had a sew in once (fail, too bulky and fake looking back, but at the time I thought it was the hotness LOL), and tried 3/4 wigs briefly (FAIL, they never blended with my hair color or texture).

-PYT

Ambrosia's bun will def be getting worn! I'm gonna try that this weekend. Love her. She had so much hair now! I remember back when she transitioned.

ManeStreet

I'm going for a consult at a natural hair salon. I was thinking about just getting regular 2 strand twists, then I saw this pic and I really like it. I get the best of both worlds, twists and high bun. Just have to make sure it won't be too tight on my edges. How long do you think a style like this might last?

Attachments

• 7194292_orig.jpeg
    7194292_orig.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 281

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
I usually wear them low or to the side. I do like the high bun look though. Here are a few of mine.

Attachments

• 0efe34c4bade11e19dc71231380fe523_7.jpg
    0efe34c4bade11e19dc71231380fe523_7.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 148
  • IMAG0216-1.jpg
    IMAG0216-1.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 134

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Ambrosia's bun will def be getting worn! I'm gonna try that this weekend. Love her. She had so much hair now! I remember back when she transitioned.

right???
people like her make me feel all bad about my progress. le sigh.

i love the look with some hoops.
on natural hair, it's easiest on a hair that's been in a twistout or something like that, at least at my length.

greenandchic

I love high my high buns. They are especially useful when I go to a Yoga class, stretching or do power lifting at then gym and need to lay on my back - no hair to get in my way.

They are pretty much a signature "no fuss" style with whites and Asians around here too. I think it looks best on people with dark...