The high bun now a popular look

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
My bun:

Thank you NappyNelle :yep:

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
NappyNelle I like your buns, but how do you get teh banana clip around your thick hair???

virtuenow Thank you, but thatt is AIR between my strands, making my hair look thick! :lol:

I use a banana clip that looks similar to this:

Not this kind:

This first type is more durable (thicker plastic, grooved hinge, better snap), has wider space between the teeth, longer teeth, and opens very wide. :yep:

Generally, I'll hold the bulk of my hair in my left hand, and use the right to snap the clip as close to my palm as I can get. Another easy way is to make a ponytail first, push the elastic about an inch upward, then snap the banana clip under the elastic. I hope that was a clear explanation!

luckiestdestiny

Yay glad I haven't seen many in NY. I'm going to SOOO be wearing these. The bigger the better. Plus low buns don't work any more I just have too much hair for them without twisting them super tight and I'm all about low manipulation.

locabouthair

Yay glad I haven't seen many in NY. I'm going to SOOO be wearing these. The bigger the better. Plus low buns don't work any more I just have too much hair for them without twisting them super tight and I'm all about low manipulation.

I've been seeing this a lot in NY especially BK. Wish I could rock it.:ohwell:

missbugg21

I wore one yesterday with a swoop bang to visit the mall. I should have taken a picture. :ohwell:

It is definitely a cute go-to style that can be worn casually, professionally, or formally. I see why so many women wear them. :yep:

This is my favorite high bun style right now:

Last edited:

Tiye

I immediately thought of college girls when I read the OP, that is such a college girl look. And Uggs in the winter...
But they have come into fashion of late, I've definitely noticed it celeb wise...

My mother wears high buns a lot and she's a senior citizen. :yep: I call it classic/timeless chic. Or it can be if done neatly.

luckiestdestiny

I've been seeing this a lot in NY especially BK. Wish I could rock it.:ohwell:

Why not you? You don't think you have the face for it or what?

I'm usually in the city which is probably why I'm not catching this look a lot. BUT then I think you have to look kinda like you have an invisible tiara to pull it off:look:. I think if I did that I'd have to make sure I wasn't slouching when I walk. I'm trying to practice my posture anyways because I just dislike bad posture (mine included lol):grin:

Diva_Esq

High buns are beautiful and elegant ... on other people. My big Sade forehead and tragic edges won't allow such a style on me, but I can admire it on others.

:lachen: at "tragic sides"

I rock high buns occasionally. They do make me look younger and cover the gang of grays that are invading my crown area! :ohwell:

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
NappyNelle
Thanks - since I'm always wearing buns, my hair toys keep it interesting. I even have my 2 divas trying to steal my toys for their hair. :)

Your buns are HUGE. Your hair looks so thick and healthy!

leiah
I think her hair has to be hiplength or there is hair added. I bet the latter.

Loving

I wore one yesterday with a swoop bang to visit the mall. I should have taken a picture. :ohwell:

It is definitely a cute go-to style that can be worn casually, professionally, or formally. I see why so many women wear them. :yep:

This is my favorite high bun style right now:

@missbugg21 Do you have bangs? Or do you just comb your hair to give the illusion of the bangs?

Country gal

I'mjealous of all the women that can wear a high bun. I love love love the look. but it doesn't look right on me :nono: looks like im trying to hard to do something

I need proof. I haven't seen a hairstyle, I don't like on you.

I just wish my bun was a high bun instead of a mini one.:lol:

lovebug10

I use a donut for my high bun to make it extra juicy. I use the conair donut thats like a big mesh scrunchie and you can wrap hair around it and use bobby pins to secure it. My only issue is that with buns I have to use eco styler gel to ensure my shorter nape doesnt fall down and then I use an oversized flat hair clip to hold it all up.

Will the donut damage my ends? its all plastic so I wasn't sure if it would prevent me from retaining. Also, does daily ecostyler seem bad for relaxed hair. I'm worried that I will cause breakage by doing this style everyday. Any advice/ tips/ suggestions welcomed :)

kinkycurlygurl

Rocking my natural hair in a high bun today. It's about a million degrees and humid as a steam room today. It was my best option for keeping cool.

Dposh167

I was supposed to wear a braidout today but it was too damp when i woke up. So I threw it into a top knot bun. I'm texlaxed BTW

ForumRunner_20120629_121459.jpg

locabouthair

Why not you? You don't think you have the face for it or what?

I'm usually in the city which is probably why I'm not catching this look a lot. BUT then I think you have to look kinda like you have an invisible tiara to pull it off:look:. I think if I did that I'd have to make sure I wasn't slouching when I walk. I'm trying to practice my posture anyways because I just dislike bad posture (mine included lol):grin:

I just bced so I barely have 1 inch on my head. But I love the style.

lovebug10

Loving do you mind explaining this to me? I feel like it should be fairly simple but for some reason I'm confused.

If you do this then you can't stick the pins directly into the donut, so does that mean that you secure the hair by pinning at the base of the bun/ scalp?

AudraChanell

I've been wearing a high bun since high school at least 1-2 times per week-like today because my rod-set was a wreck. lol My mom wore one all her life and I buried her in one last August.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 256

Loving

@Loving do you mind explaining this to me? I feel like it should be fairly simple but for some reason I'm confused.

If you do this then you can't stick the pins directly into the donut, so does that mean that you secure the hair by pinning at the base of the bun/ scalp?

lovebug10 I use a ouchless hairtie to secure my hair. I hardly use pins to secure the hair. When I do, its after using the hair tie and I place the pins around the hair (I use 3 at the most).