The Japanese women's Secret...Seaweed for hair growth, shine, and luster!!!

keluric

cicilypayne said:
Recipes please For seaweed or sea veggies.

You can throw spirulina powder into mostly anything, it doesn't have a strong taste. I put roasted seaweed into any soup I make. Again, not too much added taste.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

anky said:
Devil's advocate here... don't run to the seaweed yet.

Following how they eat is extremely more important than what they eat.

After staying in Japan for two weeks I noticed that their diet is a small part of the reason why their hair is long. Keep in mind that they do not eat as much sugar as we do. For instance, Japan's "Froot Loops" taste totally different from the American ones, as they have much less sugar content. Also many of their desserts are made straight from beans and rice: i.e., sweet bean breads. They also don't eat too much processed food. They eat out a lot, but the food that they eat is not the typical fast food: Misu soup, white rice, fatty meats and fish, pan seared stuff (instead of fried crap) at one sitting. They eat a lot.

They also get their beef from Australia because America puts too much crap in their meat-- steriods, hormones, milk fillers. Even the apple juice is different: comes straight from the apple-- not that crap in American Stores passing for apple juice.

Food out there is not something that you gorge on. They always present their food with flair (Eating is 90% visual, if the plate is pretty, chances are you'll enjoy it). Try eating at a table, without the TV on; make your plate a work of art.

I would change my whole mindset on what I eat before just running to eat what the Japanese eat.

Also, keep in mind that genetics and heredity plays the bigger role. AND they walk everywhere! Exercise helps in hair growth. Only rich people in Japan have cars so everyone walks... or runs to try to catch the subway :lol:

Thanks for reading my long ramble.

Thank you for your imput.

I wonder if this will go in one ear, out the other but here goes:

Stop falling for everything you hear concerning something that will make your hurr grow.

keluric

Seaweed is good and good for you. Even if you don't buy it, I think everyone should invest in spirulina. It's an excellent source of vitamin A and vegetable protein. This is easier for the body to digest than the amino acid supplements that many people take. I made a salad dressing with spirulina powder tonight.. mixed balsamic vinegar, lemon juice and a little honey to sweeten it. I think we should try not to view foods/supplements in isolation. Both seaweed and spirulina have nutritional value beyond hair growth.. that's just icing on the cake.

Bubln, you're my hair idol and I agree with you.. can't believe it all.

MzOptimistic

Bublnbrnsuga said:
Thank you for your imput.

I wonder if this will go in one ear, out the other but here goes:

Stop falling for everything you hear concerning something that will make your hurr grow.

I HEAR U Bublnbrnsuga:p

AKA-Tude

Be careful of the seaweed, ladies.

My mom implemented seaweed in her diet and somehow it didn't agree with her thyroid. She wound up losing hair, and had to start over.

She's re-grown now, but it was a long road back.

Also here in Okinawa, the ladies seem to lose their hair (on top) as well. I don't know if there is a connection or not (my Okinawan friend said she aked her doctor and he said it was stress- which it very well could be) but I made the mental connection to my mom & her hair.

I could be WAY off-base, but just be careful.

cocoberry10

anky said:

After staying in Japan for two weeks I noticed that their diet is a small part of the reason why their hair is long. Keep in mind that they do not eat as much sugar as we do. For instance, Japan's "Froot Loops" taste totally different from the American ones, as they have much less sugar content. Also many of their desserts are made straight from beans and rice: i.e., sweet bean breads. They also don't eat too much processed food. They eat out a lot, but the food that they eat is not the typical fast food: Misu soup, white rice, fatty meats and fish, pan seared stuff (instead of fried crap) at one sitting. They eat a lot.

They also get their beef from Australia because America puts too much crap in their meat-- steriods, hormones, milk fillers. Even the apple juice is different: comes straight from the apple-- not that crap in American Stores passing for apple juice.

Food out there is not something that you gorge on. They always present their food with flair (Eating is 90% visual, if the plate is pretty, chances are you'll enjoy it). Try eating at a table, without the TV on; make your plate a work of art.

I would change my whole mindset on what I eat before just running to eat what the Japanese eat.

Also, keep in mind that genetics and heredity plays the bigger role. AND they walk everywhere! Exercise helps in hair growth. Only rich people in Japan have cars so everyone walks... or runs to try to catch the subway :lol:

I completely agree on what she said. I also spent time in Japan, and their food tastes very different than ours. Even their McDonald's and Wendy's are very different, b/c the meat is not plumped w/hormones, etc.

Isis

The Japanese are not the only ones who eat seaweed as a main part of their diet. Indigenous people around the world have been eating seaweed all along. I believe seaweed is important for one's overall health, which in turn affects the quality of ones hair.

Edible iodine is known to help with healthy hair and hair growth and some seaweed varieties have a very high amount of iodine (such as kelp). Those with thyroid problems should always consult their doctors before eating seaweed high in iodine.

cicilypayne

Thanks ladies, I like reading all of your post, I went out to Whole Foods and could not decide between seaweed and spirluna. I purchased sea veggies vitamins. When I took the plastic off and pulled out the cotten it smelled so bad. I then decided not to take with water and used my sweet grape juice. Still yuck. I thought to myself at $25.00 a bottle I've got to finish these. After finishing lunch I went to take my horestail and I smelled the closed sea vitamins on the counter, yuck double yuck =me throwing $25.00 in the trash. :lol: :lol: :lol: I live waterfront in Miami and the seaweed tabs taste like I went outside and licked the dock. I should have listen to bubblenbrown:lol: :lol: :lol: I want my hair to grow so bad I think I'd try to eat ground up earthworms if someone posted it was good for my hair:lachen: :lachen:

tnorenberg

cicilypayne said:
Thanks ladies, I like reading all of your post, I went out to Whole Foods and could not decide between seaweed and spirluna. I purchased sea veggies vitamins. When I took the plastic off and pulled out the cotten it smelled so bad. I then decided not to take with water and used my sweet grape juice. Still yuck. I thought to myself at $25.00 a bottle I've got to finish these. After finishing lunch I went to take my horestail and I smelled the closed sea vitamins on the counter, yuck double yuck =me throwing $25.00 in the trash. :lol: :lol: :lol: I live waterfront in Miami and the seaweed tabs taste like I went outside and licked the dock. I should have listen to bubblenbrown:lol: :lol: :lol: I want my hair to grow so bad I think I'd try to eat ground up earthworms if someone posted it was good for my hair:lachen: :lachen:
LOL. Yeah I live in Ft. Lauderdale Beach. You and smell the change in the air when a ton of seaweed washes ashore. I would probably stick to the sheets of seaweed for soups and salads. The smell is much less noticeable. Can you take the tablets back?

crlsweetie912

cicilypayne said:

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:
That was soooo funny. Don't feel bad. WE ALL HAVE BEEN HERE AT ONE POINT! :D

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

ChasingBliss

anky said:

Thanks for sharing this post. Loved it!

cicilypayne

tnorenberg said:
LOL. Yeah I live in Ft. Lauderdale Beach. You and smell the change in the air when a ton of seaweed washes ashore. I would probably stick to the sheets of seaweed for soups and salads. The smell is much less noticeable. Can you take the tablets back?

thanks tnorenberg, I don't know if I can take back supplements? I'm gonna look up whole foods policy.:D

esoterica

i thought the japanese secret to hair growth was just that. being japanese. a bit like saying the european secret to hair growth. it's called not cutting your hair. :ohwell:

in any case, i only come across seaweed when drinking miso. its great.

gn1g

I found this on another forum and was thinking about trying to make some next year.

" Sea Kelp is fab used it on my hair and scalp and on my mum who is havig chemo for breast cancer,,, her hair is growing back,,, for her i mixed it in with some niacin and vit c and applied it to her scalp,, fab stuff i use it as a night time treatment on my hair and scalp never had my hair growing so fast and the colour seems even more vibrant and its just amazing"

T

TempleGirl

I lived in Japan for almost 3 years and ate a diet consisting of AF grub and Japanese local fair. Food is great but I never noticed anything spectacular about my growth. What I did learn were better eating habits and better exercise and health habits.

Growth will come, but retention and good hair practices over time are key. Simplicity wins over fad anyday.

pistachio

wow..just..wow

This isn't just some "fad" I've come across. I'm not forcing ANYTHING on ANYONE. I'm just trying to throw it out there for those who want to try it. If not fine, but call it what it is, and not what it isn't. The Japanese for centuries have eaten seaweed for growth. That isn't a fad in my book. If you don't like my input fine, but when some of you act like someone's trying to push something on you to do, and then accuse their advice of being a "fad", then next time, don't sit and wonder why some women refuse to share how they got their hair to grow...

Last edited:

Armyqt

pistachio said:
wow..just..wow

This isn't just some "fad" I've come across. I'm not forcing ANYTHING on ANYONE. I'm just trying to throw it out there for those who want to try it. If not fine, but call it what it is, and not what it isn't. The Japansese for centuries have eaten seaweed for growth. That's isn't a fad in my book. If you don't like my input fine, but when some of you act like someone's trying to push something on you to do, and then accuse their advice of being a "fad", then next time, don't sit and wonder why some women refuse to share how they got their hair to grow...

Just wanted you to know I really appreciated you sharing this info :kiss: Thank you. :)

sheena m

pistachio, I found your information informative. Thats the whole point of this forum. You never know how your information could help someone else. Just my 2 cents :)

MonaRae

pistachio - Just want to say that I found the information you posted helpful. Because of it I found the time to buy more kelp.

You see I used kelp early this year and my hair starting growing faster! That's a fact not a myth! I am all for natural foods that help with growth.

Thanks!
MonaRae

infojunkie

At the risk of getting my head bitten off, can I eat this while I'm preggars?

Oh, well, off on another research tangent.

keluric

I think seaweed is OK while pregnant but ask your ob/gyn just to be safe.

I want long hair as much as the next person and this is a hair care forum but I think sometimes we miss the point. First and foremost, seaweed is beneficial for OVERALL health. Sometimes we need to stop thinking hair, hair, hair and think health, health, health.

We all know that as educated lhcf-ers that if you're healthy, your hair grows. If your hair is breaking off, you might not see that growth but it doesn't change the fact that it grows.. without biotin, without msm, without all that.

The point is that we should stop viewing the supplements we take in isolation. Biotin aids the metabolism, MSM is wonderful for helping lubricate the joints and seaweed is a good source of calcium, sodium, magnesium, potassium, iodine, iron, and zinc among other trace elements and vitamins.

Good health is no fad.

londonjakki

cicilypayne said:
Oh my goodness I could not stop laughing when I read this:lol: :spinning: :spinning: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: hilarious:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

StrawberryQueen

TempleGirl said:
I lived in Japan for almost 3 years and ate a diet consisting of AF grub and Japanese local fair. Food is great but I never noticed anything spectacular about my growth. What I did learn were better eating habits and better exercise and health habits.

Growth will come, but retention and good hair practices over time are key. Simplicity wins over fad anyday.
Yes Ma'am!

ichephren

Well, I donno what to say. I have a japanese friend and I have watched her hair grow from shoulder length to past her waist in a year, and she is not a midget! She attributed her growth to eating seaweed everyday...and I know she doesn't eat that well otherwise. If she doesn't get her Bojangles, she gets very very mad.