The Japanese women's Secret...Seaweed for hair growth, shine, and luster!!!

pistachio

Well I haven't had any seaweed for about five days now, but I can tell you that my hair's grown 1/2" in two weeks, and I usually only grow that in a MONTH!

belle_reveuse28

pistachio said:
Well I haven't had any seaweed for about five days now, but I can tell you that my hair's grown 1/2" in two weeks, and I usually only grow that in a MONTH!

pistachio- Thanks so much for posting this thread. I want to try seaweed but I've had it before with sushi and HATED it. I did go and buy some kelp and I'm going to get some powdered spirulina too. Do you think that would suffice or is just about the same? What results have you gotten and how long have you been eating seaweed? have you sampled several types and are they all salty tasting. I hate salt? Thanks for any advice you can add! ;) oh, and apparently someone mentioed before about kelp causing weightloss if you're overweight and weightgain if you're under. I'm slightly over, do you or have you had any experience with weight changes?

pistachio

belle_reveuse28 said:
pistachio- Thanks so much for posting this thread. I want to try seaweed but I've had it before with sushi and HATED it. I did go and buy some kelp and I'm going to get some powdered spirulina too. Do you think that would suffice or is just about the same? What results have you gotten and how long have you been eating seaweed? have you sampled several types and are they all salty tasting. I hate salt? Thanks for any advice you can add! ;)

hehe. well I've never tried powdered spirulina because nowhere in Louisville sells it, but I have read that for people who aren't used to eating sea vegetables that they should start out eating arame seaweed, and it even has 100%+ Iodine content too! It doesn't taste salty either :)

belle_reveuse28

pistachio said:
hehe. well I've never tried powdered spirulina because nowhere in Louisville sells it, but I have read that for people who aren't used to eating sea vegetables that they should start out eating arame seaweed, and it even has 100%+ Iodine content too! It doesn't taste salty either :)

cool. I will try that.. what does it look like?

*Frisky*

pistachio said:

That's great....how much seaweed were you consuming daily?

pistachio

belle_reveuse28 said:
cool. I will try that.. what does it look like?

when dry, they look like little black strings, but when soaked, they look like dark green strings, and the expand to twice they're size when soaked.

morehairplease

gloomgeisha said:
You mean all this Kim Bap I've been eating has been for a good reason? Schwing! I like the roasted laver and you can find this and raw seaweed at any Hanareum, Lotte, Happy Grand Mart, International Grand Mart, or Hyundai Foods. I'm sure many other asian groceries will carry this as well.

True about the desserts being less sugar based too, there is an awesome one called "Mochi" (I think) that is made from rice cake (soft chewy) and mung bean paste (slighty sweet and nutty), it's delicious, filling (1 or 2 pieces will do you), and you don't feel guilty at all after eating it.

If you have raw seaweed, you can toast it yourself in a pan with a bit of sesame oil. Toast the seaweed on both sides until it's a little crispy and has a shiny exterior. I know this barely explains it but it's something you have to do a few times and get the timing to how far "done" you like your laver. I only toast it about a minute on each side.

Check out another product called "Grain Mix" too. It's over 13 grains and legumes dried and prepackaged together. Pop it in the rice cooker for a side or base that has more than enough protein and fiber. I'll post a pic soon.

Asian markets are also gems for produce, charging MUCH less than Safeway or Giant for most of their fruits and vegetables. They also tend to have a better selection of seafood, nuts, grains, and teas. I've seen foot long aloe leaves for sale, fat and dripping with gel...I don't know if people eat it or use it in their hair.

great post! Going to the asian market this weekend for nori, I love this as a snack, will check for the grain mix.

morehairplease

BlackCardinal said:
I've seen seaweed and stuff in health food/organic stores, but it tends to be more expensive. I'd look for a Japanese market if you want to buy a lot or start buying it regularly.

Sort of OT: I LOVE Japanese apple juice. I was born in Japan and a lot of my earliest memories involve those little black cans of apple juice from the vending machine :lick: Seriously, you'd just have to try some to understand. It has a totally different flavor. It's like it's "jucier" than American apple juice :lol: and not as syrupy. Kinda hard to explain.

BlackCardinal by chance do you know the brand name of the apple juice? I plan on calling the asian market in my area to see if they carry it.

thanks in advance,
tishee

tsiporah

That's ok,

I was asking because the Wakame I saw swells up the same way as arame. I found some packs of Miso soup (light green packages) and it contained wakame. It is one of those soups you just add hot water to.

What brand of Miso do you have?

pistachio

tsiporah said:
That's ok,

I was asking because the Wakame I saw swells up the same way as arame. I found some packs of Miso soup (light green packages) and it contained wakame. It is one of those soups you just add hot water to.

What brand of Miso do you have?

hehe. that's the brand I have! I can't remeber the name of it which is sad since I eat it everyday!

tsiporah

Is the writing in black with a Japanese lady drawn on it?

It has been a few days for me, so I can't recall either since I am out of it...

pistachio

tsiporah said:
Is the writing in black with a Japanese lady drawn on it?

It has been a few days for me, so I can't recall either since I am out of it...

yep, that's the one! I think it's called "Miso Cup" I believe. I also use Kikkoman brand that they sell at Wal-Mart in the taco/Hispanic/ethnic foods section. I buy that kind more often since you get more for your money!

pinayprincess

miso soup is also really easy to make! all you need is some soybean paste ($2.99, last a long time!), tofu, seaweed, and maybe scallions. really nutrient dense, and light in calories. also doesn't make you crave sugar, soda, and fat afterward. :D

I bought some Nori that is individually packaged. it is teriyaki-flavored but still has only 10 calories per 10 sheets (4 pcs per sheet). it's in a plastic jar and it's called "Takaokaya Hatsuzumi Teriyaki Nori" and it's only $2.99.
It has a rich, delicious crunch and isn't sticky. The seaweed pieces don't stick together, they are shiney and delicious.

I recommend this brand!

morehairplease

pinayprincess said:
miso soup is also really easy to make! all you need is some soybean paste ($2.99, last a long time!), tofu, seaweed, and maybe scallions. really nutrient dense, and light in calories. also doesn't make you crave sugar, soda, and fat afterward. :D

I bought some Nori that is individually packaged. it is teriyaki-flavored but still has only 10 calories per 10 sheets (4 pcs per sheet). it's in a plastic jar and it's called "Takaokaya Hatsuzumi Teriyaki Nori" and it's only $2.99.
It has a rich, delicious crunch and isn't sticky. The seaweed pieces don't stick together, they are shiney and delicious.

I recommend this brand!

adding this to my list for this weekend. thanks for posting pinayprincess. do you have a recipe for the miso soup that you eat?

thanks in advance,
tishee

morehairplease

pistachio said:
Komba, nori, and arame seem to be top ones for hair growth. The Komba had 775% Iodine per serving, the nori 70%, and arame 100%+ of iodine per serving. I remember my hair having a three inch growth spurt in two months time a couple of years ago, and I remember that back then i ate the SAME thing for dinner each night: a bowl of miso soup, salmon, rice, and seaweed added to the miso. I even snacked on seaweed throughout the day. I'm taking this up again, to see what happens...

Who's with me??!!

hi pistachio,

do you mind telling me how you prepared your salmon? I have never tried salmon, only catfish and tilipia, but lately I have heard so much about the benefits of salmon. Any cooking suggestions you could share with me would be great.

thanks in advance,
tishee

jenteel

excellent post-thanks pistachio 4 starting it:)
thanks anky 4 ur pov and also the others
good to hear pros and cons
any1 can be allergic to anything
there is toxicity in vit, herbs and natural foods so if any1 is worried
start slow - if things go well increase ur intake ;)

i am really into health in nutrition so anything to make my diet better
i'm with it!
i already consume spirulina in my protein shakes and had been dying 2 try out this miso soup recipe
u guys just pushed me quicker!

tishee here is aquick miso soup recipe
my cousin's miso soup recipe

morehairplease

jenteel said:
excellent post-thanks pistachio 4 starting it:)
thanks anky 4 ur pov and also the others
good to hear pros and cons
any1 can be allergic to anything
there is toxicity in vit, herbs and natural foods so if any1 is worried
start slow - if things go well increase ur intake ;)

i am really into health in nutrition so anything to make my diet better
i'm with it!
i already consume spirulina in my protein shakes and had been dying 2 try out this miso soup recipe
u guys just pushed me quicker!

tishee here is aquick miso soup recipe
my cousin's miso soup recipe

thanks jenteel for posting the links.

pistachio

tishee said:
hi pistachio,

do you mind telling me how you prepared your salmon? I have never tried salmon, only catfish and tilipia, but lately I have heard so much about the benefits of salmon. Any cooking suggestions you could share with me would be great.

thanks in advance,
tishee

No prob! I take it and let ir marinate in soy sauce and honey for two hours, and then put in in some aluminum foil, and bake. Also try it with balsamic vinegar, and worchestire sauce. It's very good that way too!

*Frisky*

pistachio said:
No prob! I take it and let ir marinate in soy sauce and honey for two hours, and then put in in some aluminum foil, and bake. Also try it with balsamic vinegar, and worchestire sauce. It's very good that way too!

This sounds really good..thanks for all your wonderful input.

melodee

anky said:
Devil's advocate here... don't run to the seaweed yet.

Following how they eat is extremely more important than what they eat.

After staying in Japan for two weeks I noticed that their diet is a small part of the reason why their hair is long. Keep in mind that they do not eat as much sugar as we do. For instance, Japan's "Froot Loops" taste totally different from the American ones, as they have much less sugar content. Also many of their desserts are made straight from beans and rice: i.e., sweet bean breads. They also don't eat too much processed food. They eat out a lot, but the food that they eat is not the typical fast food: Misu soup, white rice, fatty meats and fish, pan seared stuff (instead of fried crap) at one sitting. They eat a lot.

They also get their beef from Australia because America puts too much crap in their meat-- steriods, hormones, milk fillers. Even the apple juice is different: comes straight from the apple-- not that crap in American Stores passing for apple juice.

Food out there is not something that you gorge on. They always present their food with flair (Eating is 90% visual, if the plate is pretty, chances are you'll enjoy it). Try eating at a table, without the TV on; make your plate a work of art.

I would change my whole mindset on what I eat before just running to eat what the Japanese eat.

Also, keep in mind that genetics and heredity plays the bigger role. AND they walk everywhere! Exercise helps in hair growth. Only rich people in Japan have cars so everyone walks... or runs to try to catch the subway :lol:

Thanks for reading my long ramble.

ITA with the ramble, Ank!

pinayprincess

tishee said:
adding this to my list for this weekend. thanks for posting pinayprincess. do you have a recipe for the miso soup that you eat?

thanks in advance,
tishee

i usually just plop a tablespoon of miso paste in water, a few chunks of silken tofu, a few raw scallions, and a few shreds of nori--all in enough water to fill you.

morehairplease

pistachio said:

pistachio thanks so so much! how long do you let it bake for? Also, with each marinade how much should I use of it? I plan on cooking 4 salmon filets at a time, 3 for dinner and the other for lunch the next day. Also, with you brown rice do you add anything to it? My family likes white rice, but I am trying to move us away from white to brown.

again thanks so much pistachio.

tishee

morehairplease

pinayprincess said:
i usually just plop a tablespoon of miso paste in water, a few chunks of silken tofu, a few raw scallions, and a few shreds of nori--all in enough water to fill you.

thanks pinayprincess

pinayprincess

no problem, girl! im going back to the asian foods store today to get some tempura sauce, shirataki noodles, teriyaki nori and kelp flakes.