The Japanese women's Secret...Seaweed for hair growth, shine, and luster!!!

c*c*chic*

I was reading up on the different kinds of seaweed and i read that the irish moss is rich in retinol. hmm accutane is an oral retinol as well. im wondering if this could help with acne. has any1 saw good effects on their skin since eating seaweed? i am too fascinated by this. up at 5 a.m. justa readin lol

*CherryPie*

I read somewhere that seaweed is very high in salt. So if you're sensitive to salt, or have high blood pressure, don't mess with seaweed.

Jewell

This is like SUCH OLD NEWS. I learned this back in 2004 from a Korean lady who always ate toasted, lightly salted pieces of seaweed with her lunch. She would cook for me, and once I tried the seaweed, I actually liked it (paper thin slices, about the size of an index card).

She knew I was into long hair and even went and bought me some of the best seaweed EVER from a store 50 miles away. She kept her hair short as a preference but it was incredibly thick and healthy. It's been a long time since I've had any seaweed, but this thread being bumped up has reminded me it is missing from my diet.

Jewell

I read somewhere that seaweed is very high in salt. So if you're sensitive to salt, or have high blood pressure, don't mess with seaweed.

It's high in sodium because the ocean has high salinity. And, salt is used to preserve the seaweed. Now, there are versions that do not have added salt, and I've heard of "freshwater seaweed" and also it can be grown just like algae (chlorella, spirulina-micro algae), so maybe the "farmed" seaweed has less salt? IDK but thanks for bringing this up...HTN (hypertension/high BP) runs in my family so I watch my sodium intake.

ETA: ^^the lady who bought me the seaweed told me it was a secret to long, healthy hair. I had BSL or right below BSL hair at the time, and I made a point to include more seaweed and protein in my diet...this was back in 2004-2005, but I do remember my hair being stronger, shinier, and healthier once I started eating seaweed daily. I kept up with it for about 2 months then slacked off. I also noticed my skin was clear and had a nice "glow."

I love a California roll like nobody's business, and I love other types of sushi. Adding to soups, as well as eating it plain, blended into smoothies and juices, or cooked into stir-fry or put in salads makes it an easy addition to the diet if you can deal with the taste!

Last edited:

EllePixie

I love roasted seaweed as a snack. They just started selling flavored versions at my grocery store - way healthier than potato chips. :)

rawsilk

My "secret" for increased seaweed consumption (since I HATE the smell/taste of anything very fishy): don't try to hide it, add dulse/kelp flakes or powder, celery and onion to humus (or white beans or chickpeas), roll it up in a toasted nori roll and pretend you are eating a tuna fish sandwich. Seaweed is the key nutritional ingredient for skin/hair (check the label on, e.g., Vivascal vitamins -- "marine complex") so if you skip it, you are really missing out.

rawsilk

Solila Yup, and you know, there is something more natural about getting nutrients from food. Who knows what the effect of mega uber doses of e.g., biotin, MSM, etc. can be 10 years from now.

CodeRed

Bumping this because I've been thinking about incorporating more seaweed into my diet and because this thread is a plethora of overall health info/suggestions.

I really love this site so much for stuff like this and hope they get their tech issues worked out.

AlexandriaKiera

This is interesting, I love Japanese food and Japanese culture. I actually already have the ingredients to miso on hand; looks like I'll be eating a lot of miso next month. :)

Leo24Rule

I agree with this, Anky. I don't think it matters how much MTG you use topically or internally; no number of vitamins regardless of how you mix them up is going to make your hair grow faster.

This is drilled over at the white people's hair board I visit and it's all about nature. Seemingly, white women/black women are obsessed with hair growth whereas Asians and Latinos just "have it like that".

When I go to visit my mother whose neighborhood is almost 75% Latino, the female population all have long, thick hair and I know they are not MSM'ing, MTG'ing and no other 'ingin'.

They just got it like that.

TRUE..
Also, we can see Black women can grow long hair too. It appears to me that there's something lacking in our diet in general. Latinos (no disrespect) eat beans and lots of foods containing proteins. Asians eat lots of fish and ocean-based foods. What do us Blacks normally eat? Fried and greasy foods. Looks like something is wrong here; that's all I'm saying.

Bun Mistress

Have you used this product?

For a year, I'm not trying to advocate for it, I have used a seaweed tea with Kombu and hot water, you rnse with it several times. But its my favorite shampoo and yes you can have a bomb flat iron after wards.

I have followed a Japanese hair and skin care routine for over a year or 2 now.

nae1114

It's not the seaweed or diet. Most Asian Americans have the same diet as the rest of us.
The hair is different.
In fact I eat better than 80% of the Asian people i know. It's genetics.
I've compared my husbands(Laotian)hair strand to mine and it is at least 3x bigger. And he is NOT a healthy eater! I tell him he has horses hair.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

lushlady

Yep. . .mostly genetics. Although nutrition does play a role.

After the fukushima nuclear accident, I wouldn't consume anything from the coastal areas of Japan. Higher than usual levels of radiation have been detected on the west coast of the US in the air and water. I like seaweed salad and chips, but many of them contain dye to make them appear more green. Unfortunately, I have a hard time finding seaweed that is not from Japan and California or does not have food dye.

Bun Mistress

If you don't want to buy this product would reccomend one of the two:

Buy kombu hijiki and or dried funori blend in a blender into powder then mix a teaspoon into water water about 3 4th or so a cup.

Or as a conditioning rinse mix kombu with boiling water 3/4ths cup let still for 30 minutes. Remove seaweed. Rinse hair with tea then let sit for several minutes. Rinse with tempid water.

MamitaLolita

I eat hella seaweed and havent' noticed a difference besides more frequent poops tmi I know lol. But I hide my hair so I wouldn't know and I don't eat it daily either....hmmm....

CodeRed

Just for the record... I don't think anyone in this thread or viewing this thread thinks seaweed is going to give them Asian hair. I think the premise is to get your hair to grow faster/longer/shinier and I've experienced this in the past with a seaweed rinse. I don't think anyone is playing on a myth... The health benefits/recipes provided here are a plus too.