The keys to buying REAL all natural products

tkj25

What are your keys to finding real all natural products? What are some good ones you've found?

I love all natural products. They are great for your hair, skin & body. Here are some guidelines i use for buying real organic and natural products:

1. read ingredient labels. this is the most important. the ingredients are absorbed into your body through your skin/follicles, so be mindful of what you're taking in. manufacturers are required by law to tell you what's in their products and the ingredients are listed from highest to lowest concentration on the label.

2. do some research. alot of cosmetics companies have jumped on the natural/organic bandwagon and have gotten slick about their marketing. like adding shea butter, carrot or olive oil to their product, but when you read the label the first or second ingredient is mineral oil (hidden as paraffin oil/liquid paraffin), and somewhere down the line you find the "magic organic ingredient" -- that's not cute. some good books to start with are what's in your cosmetics and natural organic hair and skin care by aubrey hampton.

3. if it has methyl paraben, or propyl paraben (PHBs) its not all natural. these are synthetic preservatives used in most commercial hair & skin products. look for natural alternatives like grapfruitseed extract (GSE), essential oils, vitamins A, C, or E, rosemary extract, salt, raw sugar and honey:

http://allnaturalbeauty.us/allnaturali.htm

this is not to say that synthetic products/ingredients can't be incorporated into your regime -- most cosmetics contain synthetics. some of my fav cheapies (aussie moist & trader joe's nourish spa) have botanical & synthetic ingredients -- it is to say be aware and be informed about what you're purchasing:

http://www.aubrey-organics.com/about/dictionary/a_diction.cfm

http://www.aubrey-organics.com/about/treat_10synth.cfm

I've ultimately settled on a regime that incorporates natural & synthetic products. i tried doing all all natural products but i found that:

1. natural products are usually more expensive because of higher quality ingredients, and i go through a lot of product:lachen:, so i had to find a suitable compromise. no-pooing with my aubrey conditioners was just washing money down the drain:nono: i now mainly use my all naturals as leave ins. (aubrey organics rosa mosqueta or white camellia, burt's bees, sheago ... looking for more:grin::grin::grin:) i found botanical, cheapie alternatives in retail stores like target (aussie moist), sally's (aura) and trader joe's (nourish spa) for no-pooing or leaving in.

2. all natural products can be harder to find. you usually have to go to a health or specialty store, or order online (shipping/waiting) -- which can make it less convenient. but it's definitley worth the time and effort it can take to get them.

... but when i do buy all natural products i want the real deal. i hold a special dislike for products that are marketed/touted as natural, yet contain all kinds of synthetic ingredients (subtitled in french or latin of course), then have the nerve to charge an arm-and-a-leg for their products because it contains cold-pressed elderberry vapors & monkey tears:ohwell::look::perplexed.

Quality all natural products will cost more, but they shouldn't kill your pocketbook. Just read the label to make sure you're paying for the real deal and not the hype.

I found this great pdf loaded with thorough guidelines for buying natural and organic products:

https://www.onegrp.com/resources/General/OandNatLivCosmeticsarticleOct05.pdf

excerpt:

"As the number of people who are concerned about toxins in our environment grows, more and more cosmetic companies are seen to be jumping on the natural and organic bandwagon. But what does natural and organic mean when we see it on a product label? How do we know what we are buying is really natural and organic? What are the natural
alternatives to synthetic chemicals? And is natural really better for us?

Our skin is the largest eliminatory organ in the body. It is a two-way membrane. Toxins are eliminated through the skin via perspiration and absorbed through the skin, into the body's systemic circulation, through
hair follicles and sebaceous glands (not through sweat glands). One square inch of skin contains 65 hairs, 100 sebaceous glands, and 650 sweat glands.

Cosmetic manufacturers are not supposed to claim that their products penetrate our skin. If they did, the products would then be
labelled a 'drug' and henceforth be governed by much stricter regulations. This is both good and bad. Good because it means your skin can be nourished from the outside with some wonderful ingredients. Bad because it
means some cosmetic manufacturers can put into their products what would never be allowed to be taken orally, but are still absorbed into our system, through our skin.

Fortunately, there is a very simple way to differentiate between hype and truth in cosmetics - and that is to read the ingredient list on the label. It is a legal requirement that all skin care products must be labelled with the ingredients in descending order of their quantity in the product. A good rule of thumb is to divide the ingredients list into thirds: the top third usually contains 90-95% of the product, the middle third usually contains 5-8% and the bottom third, 1-3%.

WHAT ARE THE NATURAL ALTERNATIVES TO SYNTHETIC CHEMICALS?

EMOLLIENTS
Emollients serve two functions; they prevent dryness and protect the skin, acting as a barrier and healing agent. Water is the best emollient, but
because it evaporates quickly it is ineffective. It needs to be held on the skin by emollient oils in what is called an emulsion.

Some Natural Emollients
Plant Oils (eg. Jojoba, Avocado, Rosehip)
Shea, Cocoa and Jojoba Butters

HUMECTANTS
The main purpose of any cream is to keep the skin moist. Many conventional creams form a suffocating film on the skin to prevent moisture loss. Even a natural humectant, glycerin, actually attracts water from the air and surrounding tissue. It keeps the skin moist as long as there is sufficient moisture in the air. In a dry climate it actually draws moisture from the skin.

Some Natural Humectants
Lecithin
Panthenol (pro-vitamin B5)
Glycerin

EMULSIFIERS
Emulsifiers hold two ingredients together that normally don’t mix. This can either be a physical substance (like a wax) or a physical action (shake well before use!). Synthetic emulsifiers are usually petroleum/hydrocarbon derivatives and can be allergens. Natural emulsifiers are obtained from various nuts, berries and leaves.

Some Natural Emulsifiers
Plant Waxes (eg. Candelilla, Carnauba, Jojoba,
Rice Bran)
Xanthan Gum
Quince Seed

SURFACTANTS
Surface-active-agents are substances capable of dissolving oils and holding dirt in suspension so it can be rinsed away with water. They are used in
skin cleansers and shampoos.

Some Natural Surfactants
Castile Soap
Yucca Extract
Soapwort
Quillaja Bark Extract

PRESERVATIVES
The decaying process is natural and happens with or without preservatives. Skin care products do not (and should not) last for ever. Just like food, all natural skin care products will eventually deteriorate and go rancid. The effectiveness, not safety, of synthetic chemical preservatives has only been “proven” by animal testing. Synthetic chemical preservatives are generally used because they are much cheaper than, and extend the shelf life of the product more than natural alternatives. Storing natural products in the fridge will help extend their life.

Some Natural Preservatives
Tea Tree Essential Oil
Thyme Essential Oil
Grapefruit Seed Extract
Bitter Orange Extract

Last edited:

naijamerican

This is excellent! Thank you so very much! I have been using natural/organic products for the past couple of years and have seen some significant benefits in my hair's health.

Nice & Wavy

Excellent information, tkj25. I have been slowly incorporating natural products in my regimen for the past 6 months and I'm loving them more and more.

I have been using:

Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner

Elucence Shampoo and Conditioner (although it does have some synthetic ingredients, they are mostly at the end)

Oyinhandmade Whipped Pudding and Burnt Sugar

Hair2Heaven EndAll

My own concoctions of deep conditioners with: mayo, honey, coconut milk, castor oil, EVOO, Aloe Vera Gel, etc.

I'm still looking for more products that are natural. I find too that when I just rinse my hair with water, and let air dry, my hair stays moist because of all the CW's I've been doing all week and the moisturizing products, it still remains in my hair and helps my hair to dry soft.

Blessings.

Last edited:

DivaRox

... but when i do buy all natural products i want the real deal. i hold a special dislike for products that are marketed/touted as natural, yet contain all kinds of synthetic ingredients (subtitled in french or latin of course), then have the nerve to charge an arm-and-a-leg for their products because it contains cold-pressed elderberry vapors & monkey tears:ohwell::look::perplexed.

LMAO!! I love this thread because I too love using the natural products, but hate getting bamboozled by greedy companies. I get my natural products from one of the ladies here on the board and also online from Lucky Vitamin. I was in ATL this weekend and found some great natural products from a vendor at the festival going on. Plus thanks to info like you've supplied here and info I've gotten from Sistaslick's research, I am one label reading fool. I dont' just blindly grab now based on packaging and smell. I whip my list out and take my time to choose quality products.

tkj25

gymfreak -- i love ao too! :bouncy: i just wish they carried more products like them at sally's & such. but i'll go out of my way to get them. i used to go to ricky's naturals in soho, but they closed it:lachen: well what can you do:ohwell:
nice & wavy -- yep :grin: oyin has some nice products. i want to try hair2heaven too. your deep conditioner recipe sounds good! i love making my own stuff too. this is one of my pre-poo conditioner recipes:

2 bananas
1 ripe avocado
1 can organic coconut milk
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup red palm oil
1/2 cup virgin coconut oil

blend well with an emersion blender. (and i do mean well, otherwise you'll have little bits of fruit stuck in your hair). eat half -- it's really good -- the rest apply to your hair & let sit for 30 mins to an hour. rinse & no-poo or poo as usual. your hair will have this incredible sheen and softness.

diva -- ooh i've never heard of lucky vitamin. i'll have to check that out. i also love finding street vendors/open markets/festivals that have the best handmade natural stuff.

Mom23

Thanks for the information. I use Aubrey Organics and I have been using Avalon Organics Lavender Conditioner which I really like. :yep: I may try out some more of their stuff when I finish what I have.

Nice & Wavy

gymfreak -- i love ao too! :bouncy: i just wish they carried more products like them at sally's & such. but i'll go out of my way to get them. i used to go to ricky's naturals in soho, but they closed it:lachen: well what can you do:ohwell:
nice & wavy -- yep :grin: oyin has some nice products. i want to try hair2heaven too. your deep conditioner recipe sounds good! i love making my own stuff too. this is one of my pre-poo conditioner recipes:

2 bananas
1 ripe avocado
1 can organic coconut milk
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup red palm oil
1/2 cup virgin coconut oil

blend well with an emersion blender. (and i do mean well, otherwise you'll have little bits of fruit stuck in your hair). eat half -- it's really good -- the rest apply to your hair & let sit for 30 mins to an hour. rinse & no-poo or poo as usual. your hair will have this incredible sheen and softness.

diva -- ooh i've never heard of lucky vitamin. i'll have to check that out. i also love finding street vendors/open markets/festivals that have the best handmade natural stuff.

Thanks for your receipe...I have to try that out!

tkj25

be careful now, that stuff tastes good. i ate half of it. :lick:i had to remind myself it's going on my hair too.

naijamerican

thanks naija! what are some of the products you've had success with?

Hey :wave:!

My favorite product line is Qhemet Biologics. I discovered it about two years ago and haven't looked back since. I do like Carols Daughter but not as much as Qhemet (and I especially like the CD leave-in conditioners when I have twists).

I have also fallen in love with Trader Joes Nourish conditioner. Even though it has parabens, the majority of it is natural. Plus, as you pointed out, the things that are totally natural can be more expensive.

Nature's Gate is another favorite; I use it for conditioner washes, although I am not going to be doing that so much anymore (because at least for me, I don't know if it's really that beneficial). I still love it though.

Another one that I do kind of like is Jane Carter Solutions. Again, for me it's not as good as Qhemet but it will do! I particularly like the Twist and Lock cream. I find her products to be unnecessarily expensive.

Oyin is a line that I like more in theory than in reality. I purchased the Greg's Juice leave-in conditioner as well as the Honey Hemp conditioner. Neither product did much for my hair. I haven't given up hope, though, and intend to purchase the Whipped Pudding and a pomade from them.

I'm finally starting to whittle down what I like and do not like and what works and doesnt. For the past couple of days, I've just been using QB (the olive cream detangler, that is), a CD leave-in conditioner, and Jojoba oil. Pretty soon I will purchase some almond oil and just spray that in. I think that my hair and scalp like oils and since they're natural, it will be absorbed in rather than just sitting on my head.

Thanks again so much for starting this thread. I really appreciate it because I love natural products! But it's so easy to be bamboozled and the only way you can avoid it is be an educated consumer.

naijamerican

Elucence Shampoo and Conditioner (although it does have some synthetic ingredients, they are mostly at the end)

Oyinhandmade Whipped Pudding and Burnt Sugar

Hair2Heaven EndAll

My own concoctions of deep conditioners with: mayo, honey, coconut milk, castor oil, EVOO, Aloe Vera Gel, etc.

Nice, I LOVE Elucence, too. I cannot believe that I didn't mention that! :blush: So you like Oyinhandmade Whipped Pudding? That's what I want to get soon. Burnt Sugar is the pomade, I just couldn't remember the name. Well, I most definitely have to try those out then.

I'm glad that conditioner washes are helping you retain moisture throughout the day. I think that when I take my twists out, I will practice this for two weeks straight without fail to see if it works for me, too.

Just out of curiosity, what are your own deep conditioning concoctions?

tkj25

I love natural products! But it's so easy to be bamboozled and the only way you can avoid it is be an educated consumer.

i second that! and i've gotta try some qhemet. i keep hearing good things. i also agree with you on oyin. i really liked the greg juice but went through that tiny bottle too quick. my hair just sucked it up. i loved the whipped pudding though. carol's daughter is another good one, a classic, but i did notice she started using synthetic preservatives went her product line went into sephora. i haven't visited the flagship store yet to see if it's throughout the line now, or only for the products "shipped out".

and you're welcome a_christian

Last edited:

Nita81

Thanks for posting this thread. Very informative.

I'm relaxed but I love to use natural products for the upkeep. I have spent some time and money incorporating natural products in my routine. I do use a few items with synthetic ingredients like VO5 and Trader Joe's shampoos and conditioners.

nikkivale

Thank you for these tips! this would make a great sticky.
I have gone the natural route with my haircare
my basic routine is
aubrey organic Island natural line and GPB
Giovanni Direct Leave In
My homemade Shealoe butter
and that's pretty much it.

Lavendar

Great post tkj! I love, love, love your threads....they are always so informative and they really get me back on track. I have wanted to use mostly natural products for some time, but my pjism makes me stray.:perplexed My favs are Giovanni Direct Leave-in, AO conditioners, henna, EndAll, and Hairveda products. The Almond Glaze by Hairveda is to die for....the only natural pomade I have found that will tame my curly edges and not break my fine hair in the process. Keep the natural threads coming and please inform us of any new products you may come across!:urock:

tkj25

you're welcome nita & nikki. aww thanks lavendar:grin: you got me blushing over here.

Last edited:

rosalindb

Excellent post. I only use 100% natural products for my hair and skin care and also avoid parabens. I was in the US last year for a business trip and was looking forward to trying the TJ conditioner but saw that it had parabens, I was so dissapointed but so tempted though.

I do use Aubrey Organics White Cammellia to co-wash but I dillute it heavily maybe one part to 10 parts water as I get bad build up otherwise. I try to keep things as simple as possible such as making my own spritz etc, using shea butter, JBCO etc but like to try a couple of new things such as oils etc and your recipe is now on my list of things to try. :grin:

Last edited:

Poli

tkj25 GREAT POST!!!! I also avoid parabens, even with body lotions and facial products. This is the first thing I look for when I walk in a store and those girls coming running to you saying "TRY THIS" and tries to slap it on your hands before you get a word out:lachen:. I always say can "I read the back to see the ingredients first":grin:. I only use Usana. I have been thinking about buying some AO:yep:.