~~~The LHCF Guide to Healthy Relaxed Hair~~~

Monaleezza

karenjoe I made my hair assessment just after a trim, so that wasn't the issue. It was as though the trim cut off the relaxed hair and left a row at the ends of unrelaxed hair from a previous poor relaxer.

NickiStar seems to have a similar idea to mine, so I suspect I'll give this a try and IF it leaves my ends weak or split then I'll just cut them off anyhow. (Which is what I'm trying to avoid unless it's inevitable)

karenjoe

@karenjoe I made my hair assessment just after a trim, so that wasn't the issue. It was as though the trim cut off the relaxed hair and left a row at the ends of unrelaxed hair from a previous poor relaxer.

@NickiStar seems to have a similar idea to mine, so I suspect I'll give this a try and IF it leaves my ends weak or split then I'll just cut them off anyhow. (Which is what I'm trying to avoid unless it's inevitable)

is that your hair on avatar?...

now that you have trimmed.. I would say relax the entire head....
put in on like conditioner!!

karenjoe

Ok longterm stretchers how do you wear your hair at night?

Sckri23 from my SCH-I500 using LHCF

I wear it like I do during the week.... 2 braids crossed in the back
I throw a wig cap on nite.
I can wear this style with out a wig also

I think I'm the only one here that comb my hair once a week...:yep:
then moisturize & seal, I braid it back up....
when I work out I tie a scarf to tame the new growth....

I miss my cornrows (washing once a month MAYBE DC every 3 weeks).
I wasn't moisturizing my hair or ends in that style.
when your get a certain length (mainly w a relaxer) you have to get that moisture in your hair shaft,all the way down.

Last edited:

NickiStar

I'm with Monaleeza. In my case my ends are bushy because I underestimated the new growth I achieved in 1.5 years so I didn't smooth the relaxer down long enough. I don't think this means I now need to trim it unless after I try to relax it, I have the same problem. I guess that's a major issue when you do a long term stretch is making sure you don't underestimate your new growth!

Butterfly wings commented, and I agree, that it's probably best to leave the relaxer on the bushy ends no longer than 5 minutes! For now, until I'm ready to relax I have been solely protective styling, which seems to help due to the demarcation line at the end of my hair.

Jobwright

I am about two weeks into my healthy hair journey. This morning I decided to cut my terrible ends because I couldn't get them to do anything. No matter what I put on them they stayed frizzy. I think I did a pretty good job on it. I usually relaxed my entire head including my ends but I didn't this time since I was trying to put in the relaxer correctly. I am learning a lot and I think I am beginning to understand my hair. Hopefully, by this day 12-24 of next year, I will have made significant progress on the health and length of my hair. Everyone have a great holiday and stay safe!

How did you do this year? I am cheering for you and hoping for good news!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Jobwright

Thanks so much. I can't wait to get started. I've decided that my goal is for shoulder length hair by December 2012. I had my first night of bagging! OMG the results were fantastic. My hair is too short in the front, so I put saran wrap on the sides and top and wow! what a difference.

I'm going to start co-washing next week once I decide on the products. I've been reading lots of good things about mane and tail, so I think I'll try that.
Will keep you posted!
You're such a blessing - thanks!

How did you do!? I am anxious to hear your story! Did you keep up with the baggying?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

lollikd

This is my first post and I'm not sure where it should go. Sorry if this isn't the thread for this particular issue.

After months of reading and becoming a product junkie, the stress has gotten to me. I am overwhelmed and fed up with my hair.

Little lolli-hair history. My hair has always grown really fast without any aid or desire. It has overwhelmed me most of my life. I’m not good with haircare and I have never had the patience. Dec ’11, I shaved my hair off thinking I would love to go natural; ended up relaxing my hair again in June. I missed length! Aug I got my first supply of hairfinity and used it regularly until October. Had to stop bc it was making me tired. September, I made note of my length: shoulder-length and 6” all over. With a new job and move, I started battling acne so my skin became my focus. Dec ’12 hits and my goal is to make a fantastic skin & haircare journey for 2013.

Thing is, my hair is refusing to grow. For the past 40 days I’ve stuck to a simple regimen and my hair still seems to be shedding/snapping and stuck at 6”. I’m frustrated beyond belief!! My bangs had gone from bridge of the nose to chin so I know there MUST have been progress BUT the edges keep snapping off. Maybe I’m not being patient. Maybe my regimen is off. I don’t know, but spending all this money on all these things for my hair to be at a standstill is bumming me out.

That’s why I have decided to stop simply sending the occasional “thank you” to y’alls posts. You ladies are all so good at this!! I need help. Some sort of support ... advice ... anything.

I am currently a little past shoulder length for the back of my head but the top/crown hit ear lobe length. I have relaxed 4c, low porosity, thick hair, with fine strands at the nape and throughout. My relaxer is Mizani Butter Blend coarse. I don’t know much anything about my hair or even at what point to use the stupid paddle brush I bought. I though brushing was bad! And if we’re protective styling all the time, when do we get to enjoy our length??? I’m so confused. The only thing I know is that being natural caused a lot of those single strand knots. As small an accomplishment as it is, I’m glad not to have any anymore.

Babygrowth

This is my first post and I'm not sure where it should go. Sorry if this isn't the thread for this particular issue.

After months of reading and becoming a product junkie, the stress has gotten to me. I am overwhelmed and fed up with my hair.

Little lolli-hair history. My hair has always grown really fast without any aid or desire. It has overwhelmed me most of my life. I’m not good with haircare and I have never had the patience. Dec ’11, I shaved my hair off thinking I would love to go natural; ended up relaxing my hair again in June. I missed length! Aug I got my first supply of hairfinity and used it regularly until October. Had to stop bc it was making me tired. September, I made note of my length: shoulder-length and 6” all over. With a new job and move, I started battling acne so my skin became my focus. Dec ’12 hits and my goal is to make a fantastic skin & haircare journey for 2013.

Thing is, my hair is refusing to grow. For the past 40 days I’ve stuck to a simple regimen and my hair still seems to be shedding/snapping and stuck at 6”. I’m frustrated beyond belief!! My bangs had gone from bridge of the nose to chin so I know there MUST have been progress BUT the edges keep snapping off. Maybe I’m not being patient. Maybe my regimen is off. I don’t know, but spending all this money on all these things for my hair to be at a standstill is bumming me out.

That’s why I have decided to stop simply sending the occasional “thank you” to y’alls posts. You ladies are all so good at this!! I need help. Some sort of support ... advice ... anything.

I am currently a little past shoulder length for the back of my head but the top/crown hit ear lobe length. I have relaxed 4c, low porosity, thick hair, with fine strands at the nape and throughout. My relaxer is Mizani Butter Blend coarse. I don’t know much anything about my hair or even at what point to use the stupid paddle brush I bought. I though brushing was bad! And if we’re protective styling all the time, when do we get to enjoy our length??? I’m so confused. The only thing I know is that being natural caused a lot of those single strand knots. As small an accomplishment as it is, I’m glad not to have any anymore.

What is your regimen and products? We need a little more details honey. Sorry you've been having a difficult time but you're in the right place. There is a relaxed hair thread that I will bump for you as well. Do you self relax or go to the salon? Protective styling is to help you retain your length but not everyone does it and you don't have to do it all the time but if you want to keep your length and increase it that's usually the way to go; that way when you reach your goal length you can really enjoy it. What is your heat usage like? Do you Deep condition regularly? lollikd

pinkness27

How do you get rid of the "little hairs on back of tshirt" problem? I got a trim on Monday after my perm to start fresh, but just in case that doesn't solve my problem what else should I do to avoid breakage? TIA

sunnieb

It's been awhile. Will conditioning with Aubrey Organics GPB do the trick? Or will I need something stronger? How often should I do this protein treatment?

When I first began my hair journey, I deep conditioned with a light protein (Motions CPR) every week. Eventually I moved to every other week to keep my breakage at bay.

TwistedRoots

Back2Life Back2ReLaxer!
I haven't been on here in so long...About to dig into this thread. Transistioned during 2011. Went natural BC in Nov 2012 (BSL) because my edges thinned out badly after my pregnancy. Got my hair straightened for the first time 2 weeks ago and half of my hair didn't revert... so I relaxed yesterday. Fresh cut SL now... can't wait to get back to my avi... funny APL didn't seem that long then. LOL Now the struggle of finding hair products. :-(

greenandchic

I'm thinking of dying my hair black, but afraid to use demi or permanent color on relaxed hair. Maybe I should do a henna/indigo treatment...

ElegantElephant

My co-worker(who's natural and has BEAUTILFUL hair) told me that this mixture would be great for my relaxed hair. What do you think?
2 tsp coco oil,1 tsp castor oil, 1 tsp sweet almond oil, 1 tsp jojoba golden oil, 1 tsp avocado oil, 1/2 tsp honey, 1 tsp aloe vera, vitamin e and 1 egg.

She told me to leave it on for a couple hours. She didn't tell me whether to use it after I shampoo or on dry hair. I haven't seen her since she shared this with me so I think she's on vacation.

sunnieb

My co-worker(who's natural and has BEAUTILFUL hair) told me that this mixture would be great for my relaxed hair. What do you think?
2 tsp coco oil,1 tsp castor oil, 1 tsp sweet almond oil, 1 tsp jojoba golden oil, 1 tsp avocado oil, 1/2 tsp honey, 1 tsp aloe vera, vitamin e and 1 egg.

She told me to leave it on for a couple hours. She didn't tell me whether to use it after I shampoo or on dry hair. I haven't seen her since she shared this with me so I think she's on vacation.

I've put all of the above on my hair except the aloe vera and egg. Sounds like a good mix. When you gonna try it? :eyebrows2::eyebrows2::eyebrows2:

sunnieb

@sunnieb I had to check in here before I even thought about trying it..LOL!!! I question if I should use the egg. Do you use the mix on dry hair or after a shampoo???

I haven't done a mix like this in a while, but I still do honey dc's every week. I do it on wet, un-shampooed hair, then air dry like normal.

Yeah, I'm not so sure about the egg. There are plenty of ladies who do it, but I don't know.....

alundra

Addicted to jdramas

Let me know when you find out whether to do this on shampoo'd or on dry hair!

ElegantElephant

Let me know when you find out whether to do this on shampoo'd or on dry hair!
@alundra The mixture is used on dry hair. She told me to part my hair and put the mixture on my scalp then massage it. She said I could leave it in overnight. My concern is leaving the egg on overnight.. it may be too much for my colored/relaxed hair.

alundra

Addicted to jdramas
@alundra The mixture is used on dry hair. She told me to part my hair and put the mixture on my scalp then massage it. She said I could leave it in overnight. My concern is leaving the egg on overnight.. it may be too much for my colored/relaxed hair.

I thought the same about the egg too. Maybe the oil would just be OK.