~~~The LHCF Guide to Healthy Relaxed Hair~~~

VimiJn

Let the truth set you free!
I haven't been to the this side of the board in years. I went natural about 4 years ago and was on auto pilot. I'm thinking of relaxing again. Seems like most heads are natural now. Are there so few relaxing these days or are they just not posting ?

sunnieb

I haven't been to the this side of the board in years. I went natural about 4 years ago and was on auto pilot. I'm thinking of relaxing again. Seems like most heads are natural now. Are there so few relaxing these days or are they just not posting ?

Howdy!

stacy

Hi! :)
I relaxed my hair last week.
Do you relax your hair yourself ?
Which relaxer do you use?
It's been a while for me so I feel out of touch.

I felt like you when I made the decision to start relaxing again. I had not been on this board in years and when I returned, I found more natural heads than relaxed (quite the opposite when I first joined in 2003). Finding this thread was fantastic! To feel plugged in and connected to your relaxed brethren, I suggest going back to page 1 of this thread and going through the links posted. With many relaxed heads stretching for months between relaxers and wearing protective styles, you may not see daily updates and postings.

To answer your question: I self-relax with Creme of Nature's Straight From Eden relaxer in regular.

VimiJn

I felt like you when I made the decision to start relaxing again. I had not been on this board in years and when I returned, I found more natural heads than relaxed (quite the opposite when I first joined in 2003). Finding this thread was fantastic! To feel plugged in and connected to your relaxed brethren, I suggest going back to page 1 of this thread and going through the links posted. With many relaxed heads stretching for months between relaxers and wearing protective styles, you may not see daily updates and postings.

To answer your question: I self-relax with Creme of Nature's Straight From Eden relaxer in regular.
Thank you!
I sure will.

CityGirl

I am still relaxing too, but the things I have learned on this forum/board have helped me IMMENSELY. I think this is the healthiest my hair has ever, ever been.

I realize there are now a lot of ladies who have decided to go natural, but I have also seen a lot of natural hair ladies with dry, ashy, and damaged hair. I have told some who might be receptive, about this board and they look at me like..'uh huh...ok." But then they ask me what I did to get my hair to grow. Most people don't realize that healthy hair whether it is relaxed or natural takes commitment and care and a lot of folks don't want to dedicate themselves to it. Funny thing is, as my hair became better conditioned and started to grow, the less time I had to spend on it.
I will be eternally grateful to this forum and to the friend who shared the knowledge of this forums existence with me. I relax my hair because, for me, it is easier. My healthy hair practices, all learned from LHCF, along with exercise and a healthy diet have made all of the difference for me.

In the beginning I bought a lot of products because I was trying to find out what things would work for my hair. Ironically I have moved to using hair products made for natural hair on my relaxed hair and it is awesome.
I love the Shea Moisture line as well as the As I am Coconut CoWash and Double Butter Cream, but I also rotate conditioners for CoWashing. Now I use one or two regular products and whatever oil I am in the mood for on any given day.

But some folks don't want to take the time to do a little research. Most folks want a quick fix. But if you are patient and willing to read a little and experiment a little with the things that people share on this forum, you can have nice hair too; relaxed or natural. I learned so much from so many on here and I continue to be grateful.

Last edited:

CityGirl

I wear my hair in a wet bun pretty much everyday. I blow dry and flat iron only on special occasions or when I feel like I just don't want to go out with wet hair that day. Very seldom. CoWashing and then sealing in the moisture with oil has changed my whole situation so I keep that practice going pretty much everyday.

VimiJn

I'm trying to recall the name of a hair accessory that was popular here awhile back. It was shaped like an 8. I can't find the one I had. Can anyone remember the name?

VimiJn

I used phyto specific 2 for my last relaxer. I would like to use something else for my next touch up. What are you ladies using? I need some ideas.

Evolving78

I'm still on the fence about relaxing at 12 vs 24 weeks. I may do it at 12 weeks depending on how this new growth behaves. Right now I'm at 8 weeks post. If I don't relax, I will apply a TMS kit to help me along.
I know I have to stay on top of my new growth not tangling up. So that means I have to stay on top of washing my hair and keeping it loose.

VimiJn

I'm still on the fence about relaxing at 12 vs 24 weeks. I may do it at 12 weeks depending on how this new growth behaves. Right now I'm at 8 weeks post. If I don't relax, I will apply a TMS kit to help me along.
I know I have to stay on top of my new growth not tangling up. So that means I have to stay on top of washing my hair and keeping it loose.
What's a TMS kit?

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
Sooo, I bought a relaxer :lachen::lachen:

I bought the kind I usually buy when I relax. Vitale Sensitive Scalp. I might relax once or twice a year, or I might be natural again in a year. I never know with me :laugh:

kimpaur

Ladies who are bunning, especially wet bunning, do you use normal hair ties? I'm noticing a little breakage and trying to figure out the root cause

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Ladies who are bunning, especially wet bunning, do you use normal hair ties? I'm noticing a little breakage and trying to figure out the root cause

I only use satin srunchies, I usually find some nice inexpensive ones at the dollar store.