~~~The LHCF Guide to Healthy Relaxed Hair~~~

sandy100

Well, I've changed my Mind. I've decided to give up on relaxers. I don't have anything against relaxers, just how they are applied. At one salon I was going to the stylist didn't wash the relaxer out properly and it caused breakage at the back nape. My hair broke off so badly in that area til and I'm just not going to deal with that issue any longer. I feel I will have more control concerning my hair's health by eliminating that variable. I figured out what happen: Most stylist will wrap your neck with a towel and wrap the plastic cape around that. Then they apply the relaxer, ok ,then they take you to the wash bowl and rinse out the relaxer, but they leave that relaxer-soil towel around your neck so that relaxer gets back in your hair or the towel rides up and the hair at the nape is not washed properly. I'm just finished with it all. One stylist I use to go to would always change out the towel with a fresh one after rinsing the relaxer out and I didn't experience that problem.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
Well, I've changed my Mind. I've decided to give up on relaxers. I don't have anything against relaxers, just how they are applied. At one salon I was going to the stylist didn't wash the relaxer out properly and it caused breakage at the back nape. My hair broke off so badly in that area til and I'm just not going to deal with that issue any longer. I feel I will have more control concerning my hair's health by eliminating that variable. I figured out what happen: Most stylist will wrap your neck with a towel and wrap the plastic cape around that. Then they apply the relaxer, ok ,then they take you to the wash bowl and rinse out the relaxer, but they leave that relaxer-soil towel around your neck so that relaxer gets back in your hair or the towel rides up and the hair at the nape is not washed properly. I'm just finished with it all. One stylist I use to go to would always change out the towel with a fresh one after rinsing the relaxer out and I didn't experience that problem.
Have you tried self relaxing?

awhyley

Have you tried self relaxing?

I know it's an older post, but this self-relaxing option is giving me anxiety. Because of the quarantine, I can't get to my hairdresser and I can feel my roots coming in. I have the relaxer in my closet, but have never self-relaxed before. Anyone have any hints or tips?

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
I know it's an older post, but this self-relaxing option is giving me anxiety. Because of the quarantine, I can't get to my hairdresser and I can feel my roots coming in. I have the relaxer in my closet, but have never self-relaxed before. Anyone have any hints or tips?
Practice with conditioner first. When I was relaxed I did one section at a time and timed myself since I knew I wasn’t gonna be fast enough to do my whole head in the allotted time. Have your stuff already together so you’re not rushing around looking for stuff.

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.

Every relaxer isn’t the same, and doesn’t have the same processing time.

Good luck!

awhyley

Practice with conditioner first. When I was relaxed I did one section at a time and timed myself since I knew I wasn’t gonna be fast enough to do my whole head in the allotted time. Have your stuff already together so you’re not rushing around looking for stuff.

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.

Every relaxer isn’t the same, and doesn’t have the same processing time.

Good luck!

This is excellent advice. I'll plan to do this this weekend, and the perm next weekend. Thanks!

MzSwift

This is excellent advice. I'll plan to do this this weekend, and the perm next weekend. Thanks!

@awhyley

GL to you!

I would also suggest pre-sectioning your hair and even loosely twisting those sections. This allows me to apply the relaxer much faster and then I can spend more time smoothing in the relaxer with my hands. You can break it up by pre-sectioning day before while watching TV and then you can just grab a twist and go in order when you relax.

Pre-sectioning takes a while but to me it's worth it bc I can apply my relaxer in about 5 minutes. And I base my scalp as I go so I have not had any burns. HTH! And you CAN do it!!

I finger part my hair down the middle and then do horizontal parts from the back to the front.

Pretwisted

View media item 130407
View media item 130405
Relaxer applied

View media item 130411
Results

View media item 130415
View media item 130413
Lastly, a few more tips. And I think this is why a lot of home relaxers don't go well.

-I've found petroleum jelly to be the best base. I've gotten scalp burns using just oil and/or Blue Magic grease. None since I started using Vaseline.

-Relax your edges last! I do it as I'm smoothing

-After you smooth in the relaxer, you can look in the mirror to see if it's as straight as you want it to be. Leave it on for the amount of time listed on your kit -- unless you're purposely texlaxing. I texlax and rinse as a soon as I'm finished smoothing. Some ladies just cut the recommended processing time in half.

-Rinse out the relaxer with lukewarm water. Rinse out as much as possible before neutralizing.

-Neutralize, neutralize, neutralize!! Don't just use a regular poo (I've seen ladies do that). Lather in the neutralizing poo and let it sit for 5 minutes to do its work before rinsing it out. Repeat at least 2 more times. I also like to pour on vinegar before adding the neutralizing poo and lather that together for my final neutralizer. Helps to restore your pH and get rid of that relaxer! Vinegar also helps for any scalp burns.

Again, you can totally do this!

Last edited:

lorr1e1

4C (natural) currently relaxed (Mizani)
@awhyley

GL to you!

I would also suggest pre-sectioning your hair and even loosely twisting those sections. This allows me to apply the relaxer much faster and then I can spend more time smoothing in the relaxer with my hands. You can break it up by pre-sectioning day before while watching TV and then you can just grab a twist and go in order when you relax.

Pre-sectioning takes a while but to me it's worth it bc I can apply my relaxer in about 5 minutes. And I base my scalp as I go so I have not had any burns. HTH! And you CAN do it!!

I finger part my hair down the middle and then do horizontal parts from the back to the front.

Pretwisted

View media item 130407
View media item 130405
Relaxer applied

View media item 130411
Results

View media item 130415
View media item 130413
Lastly, a few more tips. And I think this is why a lot of home relaxers don't go well.

-I've found petroleum jelly to be the best base. I've gotten scalp burns using just oil and/or Blue Magic grease. None since I started using Vaseline.

-Relax your edges last! I do it as I'm smoothing

-After you smooth in the relaxer, you can look in the mirror to see if it's as straight as you want it to be. Leave it on for the amount of time listed on your kit -- unless you're purposely texlaxing. I texlax and rinse as a soon as I'm finished smoothing. Some ladies just cut the recommended processing time in half.

-Rinse out the relaxer with lukewarm water. Rinse out as much as possible before neutralizing.

-Neutralize, neutralize, neutralize!! Don't just use a regular poo (I've seen ladies do that). Lather in the neutralizing poo and let it sit for 5 minutes to do its work before rinsing it out. Repeat at least 2 more times. I also like to pour on vinegar before adding the neutralizing poo and lather that together for my final neutralizer. Helps to restore your pH and get rid of that relaxer! Vinegar also helps for any scalp burns.

Again, you can totally do this!
That's shocking people using ordinary shampoo instead of neutraliser. They clearly don't know the dangers of chemicals and should read up about relaxers or do not do them at all.

You can use the Mizani:
PerpHecting cream can be used before neutraliser shampoo
Bond phorce or
Salvage shot in strength fusion range.
I used the first and last on my last relaxer. They are for Strengthening the hair after relaxing.