THE MEGA HAIR DIET CHALLENGE 2008

Nanyanika

Hello Ladies,
I am so very determined to reach my hair and body goal this year.
Six month challenge, officially starts monday 18th feb, to give others enough time to complete their shopping lists, the challenge must be completed by August 18th.

In 2004, I devised an intensive vitamin routine, high protein diet, regular excerise and followed by a modified crown n glory method, which took me from top of bra-strap to near waistlength... within six months.......

I am not telling anyone to go out buy all vitamins to grow hair, I belive good nutrition with the help of a few supplements, can make a differernce to the hair's health and as well as body, i personally proved a few years ago when i was on a healthy diet and vitamin plan my hair flourished better. I'm simply going back to what works

old vitamin regimen 2004

foti 560mg 3x a day,
Granovita flaxseed oil 2teas a day
body fortress amino acid 1500 12 tablets a day
solgar zinc 50mg 2x a day
holland and barrett b vits 2 a day
quest multinutrients 1 a day
msm 1497 2x a day(Maxi sulph),
holland and barret epo 1000mg x3 and u used to take a high protein diet all meats,lots veggies, complex carbs

I will not be following my old regimen, as it was too extensive, i believe i can get the same results by depending on diet and additional supplementation.

WARNING: DO NOT FOLLOW THE REGIMEN ABOVE, I DIDN'T CONSULT MY GP AT THE TIME. its very important make sure you aren't double dosing, all you need is the recommend daily amount, its actually best to buy a good multi-vitamin/mineral supplements or HSN that contains calculated RDA, instead of getting inidivdual ones.
check with your doctor first before going out and buying vitamins, its actually if you follow a good diet you should get most of your nutrients from diet. Also certain supplements for example MSM should be taken with Vit C to ensure proper absorbption

This article was found by angenoir, its a very good guideline on how to take vitamins safely, thank-you
http://www.articlesalley.com/articl..._Vitamin_Supplement_Side_Effects_&_Its_Impact

I need (7 inches to reach waistlength) remember hair on average grows 6 inches a year, this means very good news for me.

This challenge is intensive but its only for six months, you are welcome to join, we will use the thread to reoprt on progress, any to offer/share tips and advice.

PERSONAL PROFILE:

CURRENT LENGTH: TOP OF BRA-STRAP
VITAMINS: Holland and Barratt Hair, skin and nails, Hydrolysed collagen, Amino acids 1000M,Omega 3 6 9, MSM, Pantothenic Acid (soon to add)

REGIMEN:WIG/WEAVE REGIMEN 2008

1. Cornrows under wig 4-5 weeks at a time
2. Ayurveda growth tonic daily on braids,
3. abundance scalp oil on sides
4. Shampoo with porosity poo and condition with Aphogee/porosity weekly.

Hair treatment

1. Unbraid cornrows with my homemade detangler and comb-out hair in section
2. clarify hair with pantene followed by porosity control shampoo
3 Ayurveda pre-mixed herbal pak 30min
4. use Phyto-organics Nexxus Enphuse reconstructor 20-30min
5. Condition with keracare/porosity con for 20minutes.

6.Apply Ayurveda growth tonic 3 in 1 and Naturals SheaNourish creme to hair.
7. airdry 70%
8. blowdry in six sections on cool setting.
9. Next day put cornrows back in

HEALTH DIET: Low Glycemic
Here is more information what vitamins and foods can do for health and hair
http://www.mydelouisenaturals.com/hairnutrition.htm

ACTIVITY: Aerobic excerise and regular walks

GOAL: lose weight, Achieve thicker and healthier hair

We will post results at the end of the challenge so take a before picture,

ok we have our list of challengers

den1
gymfreak
locabouthair
scarcity21
nutella20
moroni
ILuvsmuhgrass
StellaB
Dreamsicles
serenity peace
cicilypayne
Kimberly
lioness
stilettos
ravenmerlita
angenoir
amwcah
Guapa1
Andreainnis
Valerie
Lovelylocs
MCrzyGr
Tricie
miss_cherokee
TrustMeLove

please provide details of your regimens

Last edited:

Bosslady1

Sorry to hear about the loss of your sister..:sad:

umm...didn't you JUST cut your hair? ..Or wasn't it APL or something?!

You know what to do to get your hair growing supa fast!:yep: Good luck.

I am on a no/low manipulation challenge with myself. So far, so good.:rolleyes:

Nanyanika

NO NO NO!!! ITS A WEAVE

my real hair is top of brastrap

Sorry to hear about the loss of your sister..:sad:

umm...didn't you JUST cut your hair? ..Or wasn't it APL or something?!

You know what to do to get your hair growing supa fast!:yep: Good luck.

I am on a no/low manipulation challenge with myself. So far, so good.:rolleyes:

blazingthru

Deni, You are something else, I was ignoring you for a minute because I thought you cut your hair again. I had enough--- and here all long its a weave. that weave is the best (look real to me) I have ever seen. Thats why I didn't order I said shoot she keeps cutting her hair something must be wrong with it.:lachen::lachen: I can't keep to challenges but I will be checking back from time to time. Go head girl I know you will get there before six months is out.

Nanyanika

Deni, You are something else, I was ignoring you for a minute because I thought you cut your hair again. I had enough--- and here all long its a weave. that weave is the best (look real to me) I have ever seen. Thats why I didn't order I said shoot she keeps cutting her hair something must be wrong with it.:lachen::lachen: I can't keep to challenges but I will be checking back from time to time. Go head girl I know you will get there before six months is out.

I had a feeling that's why people haven't responded to my thread....i was like what the hell have I done now?...My hair is progressing well, so i want to challenge myself to accomplish my old natural hair goal, I guarantee you, i will reach it without any setbacks....i know people don't believe in me on this forum, but i believe in myself, I did it before and I can do it again. Sit back and watch

Nanyanika

LADIES PLEASE POST YOUR PROFILE:

CURRENT LENGTH:
VITAMINS:
REGIMEN:
HEALTH DIET:
ACTIVITY:
GOAL:

Feel free to add anything else to the list

gymfreak336

Vitamins and Diet

I just restocked all of my basics and I am changing up some of my omega oils

Kal Enhanced Energy Multi- twice a day
Solary Multi-mineral- 2-3 times a day
Biotin 10mg daily
MSM starting at 1000mg, building up to 3-4,000mg
Fish oil 1000mg 3x daily
Flaxseed oil 1000mg 2x daily
B-complex 50mg 3-4 times a week
Lysine and L-cystiene- trying to use these up

I have been drinking a protein shake daily so I will keep that up. Increasing protein intake with white fish daily to everyother day. Keeping track of fruit and veggie consumption in my food journal. No sodas or sugary juices, water, tea and crystal light instead. Regular exercise daily for atleast 30 minutes. Focusing on getting enough sleep as well, no more late nights to watch jewerly television or shopnbc.

Hair Care regime

Washing every 3-4 days
Deep conditioning after each wash (On the deep conditioning challenge)
Massage scalp night before each wash with my Indian oils
Rollerset to dry and relaxing every 10-12 weeks.

locabouthair

Since you buddied up with me, I'll buddy up with you! I am in Den.

Yay! we got gymfreak!

CURRENT LENGTH:the back is shoulder and the sides are ear length. very uneven and thin
VITAMINS: one a day women's multi and flax seed oil
REGIMEN:
wash and DC once a week
moisturize and seal twice a day
massage scalp every night with essential oils
relax every 11 weeks
no direct heat at all

HEALTH DIET:
-Try to eat at least servings of fruit and veggies a day
-Increase my protein intake to at least 50 grams a day. i just found out I'm not getting enough protein. No wonder my hair grows so slowly.
-Drink at least 64 oz of water daily

ACTIVITY:exercise at least every other day for 30 mins, eventualy I'll like to exercise every day.
GOAL: To have shiny, thick hair. and grow my sides and nape back. I would love for my hair to be longer but at this point getting it healthy is more important. I dont want to be ashamed to wear my hair down anymore.

Last edited:

Nanyanika

I love your regi, I forgot to add about getting enough sleep and keeping our bodies hydrated with plenty mineral water. I have insomnia so i'm hoping the extra vits and sensible eating will balance my sleeping pattern. I will write up my low GI shopping list tomorrow. I plan to do some more research into foods which benefit health as well as hair.

Vitamins and Diet

Biotin 10mg daily
Fish oil 1000mg 3x daily

I have been drinking a protein shake daily so I will keep that up. Increasing protein intake with white fish daily to everyother day. Keeping track of fruit and veggie consumption in my food journal. No sodas or sugary juices, water, tea and crystal light instead. Regular exercise daily for atleast 30 minutes. Focusing on getting enough sleep as well, no more late nights to watch jewerly television or shopnbc.

Hair Care regime

Washing every 3-4 days

Nanyanika

Also i recommend that we were protective styles and reduce direct heat to once a month only, is this okay with you ladies?

Once we make up our minds and stick diligently to this challenge, you will very suprised by what we acheive. there is nothing to lose other than excess fat lol (talking about myself here) and gain healthier hair. it is a rigid challenge, i'm hoping that when we have completed it, we will continue with healthy habits health as well as hair.

Yay! we got gymfreak!

CURRENT LENGTH:the back is shoulder and the sides are ear length. very uneven and thin
VITAMINS: one a day women's multi and flax seed oil
REGIMEN:
wash and DC once a week
moisturize and seal twice a day
massage scalp every night with essential oils
relax every 11 weeks
no direct heat at all

HEALTH DIET:
-Try to eat at least servings of fruit and veggies a day
-Increase my protein intake to at least 50 grams a day. i just found out I'm not getting enough protein. No wonder my hair grows so slowly.
-Drink at least 64 oz of water daily

ACTIVITY:exercise at least every other day for 30 mins, eventualy I'll like to exercise every day.
GOAL: To have shiny, thick hair. and grow my sides and nape back. I would love for my hair to be longer but at this point getting it healthy is more important. I dont want to be ashamed to wear my hair down anymore.

locabouthair

Also i recommend that we were protective styles and reduce direct heat to once a month only, is this okay with you ladies?

Once we make up our minds and stick diligently to this challenge, you will very suprised by what we acheive. there is nothing to lose other than excess fat lol (talking about myself here) and gain healthier hair. it is a rigid challenge, i'm hoping that when we have completed it, we will continue with healthy habits health as well as hair.

Hey den. I don't use direct heat at all. I only use sit under the dryer for conditioning and rollersets.

I wear protective styles 99% of the time and have been doing so for almost a year now. I'm too ashamed to wear it down.

Nanyanika

hi, loca, after this challenge, you need start showing off your hair, i'm sure it will be doing a lot better soon.

Hey den. I don't use direct heat at all. I only use sit under the dryer for conditioning and rollersets.

I wear protective styles 99% of the time and have been doing so for almost a year now. I'm too ashamed to wear it down.

scarcity21

I want to join but Im not too good at taking my vits consistently...right now i take vit B and C, zinc,,,occasionally iron...I noticed last yr when i upped my protein intake...my hair got thicker...the only reason i stopped was bcos i wasnt exercising regularly so it was harder 4 me to lose weight with all that protein. but now that i got my exercise and fruit & veggie intake under control via Pinkskates and BFL challenges..i will start back on the protein shakes..i do have Foti so i will get back on that too!
I cant do the EPO, flax seed ( my MD said no bcos they r plant estrogens) or MSM/ biotin (broke me out):nono:

Nanyanika

Welcome, i've added your name to the list, don't worry about not taking vits every single day, but if you at least take it 60-70% of the time i'm sure you would benefit. since your already excerising and eating great this is perfect for you. i've still got to complete my nutrition research and go shopping for foods. I love the benefits of fo-ti, how much did you pay for yours?

I want to join but Im not too good at taking my vits consistently...right now i take vit B and C, zinc,,,occasionally iron...I noticed last yr when i upped my protein intake...my hair got thicker...the only reason i stopped was bcos i wasnt exercising regularly so it was harder 4 me to lose weight with all that protein. but now that i got my exercise and fruit & veggie intake under control via Pinkskates and BFL challenges..i will start back on the protein shakes..i do have Foti so i will get back on that too!
I cant do the EPO, flax seed ( my MD said no bcos they r plant estrogens) or MSM/ biotin (broke me out):nono:

scarcity21

Welcome, i've added your name to the list, don't worry about not taking vits every single day, but if you at least take it 60-70% of the time i'm sure you would benefit. since your already excerising and eating great this is perfect for you. i've still got to complete my nutrition research and go shopping for foods. I love the benefits of fo-ti, how much did you pay for yours?

ok...kool...i paid about $7...i bought the solaray brand...what exactly does fo ti do? i gotta go research:grin:

nutella20

Hi!
I want to join in! I'm a newbie so I don't really know what to do....:perplexed I'm currently in protective style (braids till the end of march) so I hope you girls can help me out !!!!

CURRENT LENGTH: collarbone (uneven)
VITAMINS: Gnc HSN formula, Flax seed oil, Iron, multivitamin
REGIMEN: 2x week
HEALTH DIET: no sodas (used to drink a lot...), drink more water ACTIVITY: cardio & weights 4x week
GOAL: healthy shoulder length

Moroni

Vitamins and Diet

Biotin 10mg daily :blush: (wow, I wanna do that one day!)
Fish oil 1000mg 3x daily

Hair Care regime

Washing every 3-4 days

Alright, Den, I'm in, too, because I started about 8 weeks ago, but since I was coming from soooooo far behind, I'm about even with everyone else!!! LOL

Supplements:
Ambrotose 1 tsp. 2x/day
Ambrotose AO 2 caps 2x/day
Plus 2 caps 2x/day
MSM 2500 mg 2x/day
Silica 24mg 2x/day
Biotin 2mg 2x/day (trying to work up to 5 mg/day)
B-Complex 100 1cap 3x/day
Multi plus greens 2 caps 2x/day
Water 80 oz./day minimum

Diet includes smoothie with soy protein, fruit, fish oil daily; almonds, salads with meat added; plenty of vegs. and lean meats. Only vice is chocolate, to which I have passed all my allergy treatments!!!! YAAAAYY!

Exercise routine has been running 20 minutes 3 times per week. Will increase to 30 minutes 5 times per week.

ETA: Ooops! I forgot my reggie: Cowash 3 times per week, Prepoo with oil overnight, then either with avocado, molasses, buttermilk (add egg every 2 weeks) banana OR leave out avocado and egg and add conditioner, DC each wash/cowash, apply EO blend daily. Rollerset hair on Saturdays. Henna (amla/shikakai powder, avocado/coconut milk) 2 to 4 times per month on Saturdays.

Goal: 3 inches past BSL by Christmas, and run marathon in Feb 2009. My length 4 weeks ago:

Attachments

• Jan 15.jpg
    Jan 15.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

PuffyBrown

Im in!

I will post my regis later. I am studying right now, and working on a paper that is due Monday....I am just taking a little break AND

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
Hey Den I would love to join the challenge, I think this is just the push I need to get my body on point and my hair. I already planned to be in braids for the whole year, well minus the 2 wks resting period for my hair, so protective styles will not be an issue for me. I take my hair down at the end of this month so I can take a pic then.

CURRENT LENGTH: 1 inch above armpit
VITAMINS: Centrum muli -1x, Aloe Vera Caps-2x,B50-1x, Biontin5mg-1x, Flax oil 2tbs-2x day.
REGIMEN: Cowash 2/wk, moisturize everyday, seal with JBCO and oil my scalp with JBCO 2/wk.
HEALTH DIET: after I complete my 30 day lemon cleanse on March 10th, I will transition for 5days and then eat clean for the remainder of the Challenge. Meaning no fried foods, no butter, no carbs, or sweets soda which I dont drink anyway, I plan to eat a protein with every meal, fruit, veggie and water, I also want to start eating more cold water fish at least 3-4/wk. Getting my water intake won't be a problem, since i drink plenty of water anyway.
ACTIVITY: walking and other types of cardio, lawd might have to try lite weight training since im goin to take in alot of protein but we shall see,lol.
GOAL: somewhere close to brastrap and a healthier body.

think thats it, oh yea when does it start and end, thx Den1

MrsBKJ

Wow this seems really good but I wont be able to join because I can never remember to take any vits.

But I love your wig Den...i saw your siggy last night and I was like woaaaaah...but then read your siggy and calmed down some!

Lol
Uzz

Nanyanika

ok...kool...i paid about $7...i bought the solaray brand...what exactly does fo ti do? i gotta go research:grin:

That's not bad!! i took fo-ti for almost a year with great results

it helped enhance my texture and enriches hair colour, i also noticed a reduction in hair shedding, it does this by extending the hairs growing stages.

http://www.herbsandnaturalremedies.com/herbs/foti.htm

Fo-Ti: (Polygonum multiflorum) Native to China, where it continues to be widely grown. It also grows extensively in Japan and Taiwan. The unprocessed root is sometimes called white fo-ti and the processed root red fo-ti. The Chinese common name for fo-ti, he-shou-wu, was the name of a Tang dynasty man whose infertility was supposedly cured by fo-ti; in addition, his long life was attributed to the tonic properties of this herb.

The Chinese believe that fo-ti is a longevity tonic that can even keep your hair from turning gray. It has a reputation as an aphrodisiac. Traditional Chinese medicine has used fo-ti to treat premature aging, weakness, vaginal discharges, numerous infectious diseases, angina pectoris, and impotence. It is believed to restore energy and strength. It is good for your blood, liver and kidneys. Fo-ti is also considered to be beneficial as a digestive aid.

The active constituents of fo-ti have yet to be determined. The whole root has been shown to lower cholesterol levels, according to animal and human research, as well as to decrease hardening of the arteries, or atherosclerosis.2 3 Other fo-ti research has investigated this herb’s role in strong immune function, red blood cell formation, and antibacterial action.4 The unprocessed roots have a mild laxative action.

The typical daily intake is 4–8 grams.5 A tea can be made from processed roots by boiling 1/2–1 U.S. teaspoons (3–5 grams) in 250 ml (1 cup) of water for ten to fifteen minutes. Three or more cups are drunk each day. Fo-ti tablets (500 mg each) can be taken in the amount of five tablets three times per day.

The unprocessed roots may cause mild diarrhea. Some people who are sensitive to fo-ti may develop a skin rash. Taking more than 15 grams of processed root powder may cause numbness in the arms or legs.

Nanyanika

Hello Welcome, your on the right track.

For the healthy diet, we simply list what type of plan, we follow for example i'm following the low GI plan because I have an problem craving refined carbohydrates and fats.

Hi!
I want to join in! I'm a newbie so I don't really know what to do....:perplexed I'm currently in protective style (braids till the end of march) so I hope you girls can help me out !!!!

CURRENT LENGTH: collarbone (uneven)
VITAMINS: Gnc HSN formula, Flax seed oil, Iron, multivitamin
REGIMEN: 2x week
HEALTH DIET: no sodas (used to drink a lot...), drink more water ACTIVITY: cardio & weights 4x week
GOAL: healthy shoulder length