The Most Burdened With Student Loans Are Women

Royalq

This is why I'm trying to get out of adn nursing school with the least amount of debt possible. It's not a degree we're you should be leaving with 40k in debt. I plan to purse a Masters in nursing which for that I will incur some debt but I refuse for a adn. A lot of black women around me are pursuing nursing and are willing to sign off on absurd amounts of loans. One school I visited that offers a BSN wanted 63k. Helll to the naw naw. And plenty were willing to go to that school. So not only are black women having to pull out larger loans because we lack finicky aid, some are pulling out loans for jobs that don't lead anywhere, and also some are signing off on schools with exorbitant tuition.

GeorginaSparks

I used to frequent that site. Coli ain't ish. A bunch of ugly short nerdy bums who are terrified of approaching women yet want the baddest IG girls. More than 3/4 are a bunch of virgins giving advice on how to be HOH (hard on hoes) and how to treat every woman like a whore. Lamest site of black men ever.
accurate

Femmefatal1981

I used to frequent that site. Coli ain't ish. A bunch of ugly short nerdy bums who are terrified of approaching women yet want the baddest IG girls. More than 3/4 are a bunch of virgins giving advice on how to be HOH (hard on hoes) and how to treat every woman like a whore. Lamest site of black men ever.
Yep and when you post links from sites like that it affects your credibility. The only good reason to post a link from The Coli is so we can get a good laugh.

afrofaithful

I think black women should consider the military. I initially went to a state university when I graduated HS. At first, all my tuition was paid for, but my mom got a part time job that year and the next, I literally got $60. I looked up how much it would be to continue and pretty much dropped out lol. I am VERY debt averse. Neither of my parents went to college but I will say my mother made sure I was at least slightly financially savvy. I did take out a few loans, but I saw myself getting sucked into the debt hole and I really didn't know what I wanted to do, was getting bad grades and wasting time. I decided to join the military. One of the best choices I could have made.

I have zero student loan debt, two associate degrees (I know not that impressive lol), and am only 4 classes away from a psych bachelors, 2 of those classes I will take excelsior exams to test out of, another thing I'll touch on later. The psych bachelors is just from all the classes I was taking while not knowing what I wanted to do lol. I actually just found out I was so close, and can use it for getting accepted into an accelerated BSN program, or to go to dental school. All free. One of my AA's is through the Air Force and it's for a medical lab tech. It's a trade I learned while in. It's a decent job, I've lived off the money since I've been out while going to school. I also haven't touched my gi bill (which pays 100% tuition at a state school and provides a living allowance). I'm using the guard to pay for my undergrad (100% paid state tuition) and the gi for grad school. I also came out of the guard with IT cyber training and an IT cert plus my security clearance. It's another back up job I can have.

Not only did the Air Force allow me a free education, I also got a trade I can either build on, side hustle or just relax and still survive! I've traveled to over 15 countries, met some decent people, and have great benefits. I'm under 30. While I don't have my bachelors yet and am a bit behind (completely my fault, not because of the military), I am still doing better than some of my degreed friends saddled with debt. I know some people don't want to send their kids and I'd prefer not to have to, but if my kids don't get scholarships and I feel they need the discipline, that's where they're headed. At least to the guard. I don't know why more kids don't do it! It's one weekend a month, depending on your state they pay 100% tuition, you get a trade, benefits, and you get all the intangible perks of being military. It also really helped me become a little more focused. I wish I would have known more about the guard before going active duty.

I think one of the main things the military gave me was options. I'm pursuing a nursing degree, but I would never forgive myself if I didn't at least try to get into dental school. Since I have both tuition programs I am working on my dental school prerequisites (I don't have that many left! :)), and don't even have to worry about the money aspect. I'm just taking the classes even if they're useless lol. If I get into dental school, it will all be paid for if I go to a state school. I will only have to take out a few loans because it only covers 36 mos. If I do nursing, I'll have at least more than half of the 36 mos leftover if I do an accelerated BSN program which I will use to pursue an advanced practice nursing degree.

I know it all depends on the administration though. I would not send my kid to the military with Trump in office. Luckily I have less than a year left. I served under president Obama. I know some people don't care either way lol...

So for those of you that don't know and have kids in school CLEP, DSST, and excelsior exams have allowed me to test out of more than 60 credit hours worth of classes. Most schools take the tests as well. With the military these tests are free, but they are very reasonable otherwise especially when considering paying for the actual classes. Look into them if you haven't heard of them! They have saved me SOOO much time! They are mostly for gen eds, but they have a few upper level credit tests. They're super easy, I feel like it's not even fair :p. I just study for a few days. There's a website I use that has practice tests. I print out all the questions, it's tedious, then take the tests over and over. Some of the questions will be on the actual exam verbatim the same. Info I don't know, I'll read up on or at least try and famialiarize myself with the concepts. I've only failed two, and I didn't study for them.

Anyhoo!!! Those of you with degrees already, the military offers tuition reimbursement and you can go in as an officer and make decent money. I knew a girl with a finance masters in the Air Force so they could pay off her loans. Depending on your field you can also get experience. They also have the military colleges which are free. I know a guy who has had the military pay for ALL of his stuff while active to become an NP.

Just thought I'd share that with you all. I know it's extreme to some but it's always another option. Please excuse any typos/grammar, I'm on my phone.

Christina Dior

I think black women should consider the military. I initially went to a state university when I graduated HS. At first, all my tuition was paid for, but my mom got a part time job that year and the next, I literally got $60. I looked up how much it would be to continue and pretty much dropped out lol. I am VERY debt averse. Neither of my parents went to college but I will say my mother made sure I was at least slightly financially savvy. I did take out a few loans, but I saw myself getting sucked into the debt hole and I really didn't know what I wanted to do, was getting bad grades and wasting time. I decided to join the military. One of the best choices I could have made.

I have zero student loan debt, two associate degrees (I know not that impressive lol), and am only 4 classes away from a psych bachelors, 2 of those classes I will take excelsior exams to test out of, another thing I'll touch on later. The psych bachelors is just from all the classes I was taking while not knowing what I wanted to do lol. I actually just found out I was so close, and can use it for getting accepted into an accelerated BSN program, or to go to dental school. All free. One of my AA's is through the Air Force and it's for a medical lab tech. It's a trade I learned while in. It's a decent job, I've lived off the money since I've been out while going to school. I also haven't touched my gi bill (which pays 100% tuition at a state school and provides a living allowance). I'm using the guard to pay for my undergrad (100% paid state tuition) and the gi for grad school. I also came out of the guard with IT cyber training and an IT cert plus my security clearance. It's another back up job I can have.

Not only did the Air Force allow me a free education, I also got a trade I can either build on, side hustle or just relax and still survive! I've traveled to over 15 countries, met some decent people, and have great benefits. I'm under 30. While I don't have my bachelors yet and am a bit behind (completely my fault, not because of the military), I am still doing better than some of my degreed friends saddled with debt. I know some people don't want to send their kids and I'd prefer not to have to, but if my kids don't get scholarships and I feel they need the discipline, that's where they're headed. At least to the guard. I don't know why more kids don't do it! It's one weekend a month, depending on your state they pay 100% tuition, you get a trade, benefits, and you get all the intangible perks of being military. It also really helped me become a little more focused. I wish I would have known more about the guard before going active duty.

I think one of the main things the military gave me was options. I'm pursuing a nursing degree, but I would never forgive myself if I didn't at least try to get into dental school. Since I have both tuition programs I am working on my dental school prerequisites (I don't have that many left! :)), and don't even have to worry about the money aspect. I'm just taking the classes even if they're useless lol. If I get into dental school, it will all be paid for if I go to a state school. I will only have to take out a few loans because it only covers 36 mos. If I do nursing, I'll have at least more than half of the 36 mos leftover if I do an accelerated BSN program which I will use to pursue an advanced practice nursing degree.

I know it all depends on the administration though. I would not send my kid to the military with Trump in office. Luckily I have less than a year left. I served under president Obama. I know some people don't care either way lol...

So for those of you that don't know and have kids in school CLEP, DSST, and excelsior exams have allowed me to test out of more than 60 credit hours worth of classes. Most schools take the tests as well. With the military these tests are free, but they are very reasonable otherwise especially when considering paying for the actual classes. Look into them if you haven't heard of them! They have saved me SOOO much time! They are mostly for gen eds, but they have a few upper level credit tests. They're super easy, I feel like it's not even fair :p. I just study for a few days. There's a website I use that has practice tests. I print out all the questions, it's tedious, then take the tests over and over. Some of the questions will be on the actual exam verbatim the same. Info I don't know, I'll read up on or at least try and famialiarize myself with the concepts. I've only failed two, and I didn't study for them.

Anyhoo!!! Those of you with degrees already, the military offers tuition reimbursement and you can go in as an officer and make decent money. I knew a girl with a finance masters in the Air Force so they could pay off her loans. Depending on your field you can also get experience. They also have the military colleges which are free. I know a guy who has had the military pay for ALL of his stuff while active to become an NP.

Just thought I'd share that with you all. I know it's extreme to some but it's always another option. Please excuse any typos/grammar, I'm on my phone.
The Air Force did me good ! I cannot lie ! But no .... I don't think MORE black women need to sign up for the military. That's not a future I envision for my black daughters and sisters. We need more options than "go to the military" for black women. But....I suppose it's a temporary solution. No offense but I see a lot of people suggest the military to people like it's a decision that isn't serious. Student loan debt is serious but the military is simply not viable for everyone for sooooo many reasons.

afrofaithful

The Air Force did me good ! I cannot lie ! But no .... I don't think MORE black women need to sign up for the military. That's not a future I envision for my black daughters and sisters. We need more options than "go to the military" for black women. But....I suppose it's a temporary solution. No offense but I see a lot of people suggest the military to people like it's a decision that isn't serious. Student loan debt is serious but the military is simply not viable for everyone for sooooo many reasons.

I can agree with that. I just look at myself and my peers and know I made the right decision. I think the guard is a no brainer though. It's a joke really lol. I guess do your research! My unit hasn't deployed in over 10 years. I'll be gone by the time their bucket is up. They said everyone volunteers to go anyway. Of course you can't count on that though...

dancinstallion

This is why I'm trying to get out of adn nursing school with the least amount of debt possible. It's not a degree we're you should be leaving with 40k in debt. I plan to purse a Masters in nursing which for that I will incur some debt but I refuse for a adn. A lot of black women around me are pursuing nursing and are willing to sign off on absurd amounts of loans. One school I visited that offers a BSN wanted 63k. Helll to the naw naw. And plenty were willing to go to that school. So not only are black women having to pull out larger loans because we lack finicky aid, some are pulling out loans for jobs that don't lead anywhere, and also some are signing off on schools with exorbitant tuition.

Yes i know a LVN that signed to a for profit adn for 37k and it was 18 months. I told her you could get a bsn for half of that,

Which website do you use to practice for the tests?

Christina Dior

As far as the military, the only non low income, non minority folks that aren't being preyed on BUT are being recruited are CERTAIN jobs in the military like fighter pilots for the Air Force. Almost all of them are white, male, and come from parents who were not low income earners. Most of their siblings are super successful and their children go on to be doctors, lawyers etc not the normal enlisted background.

I have seen a lot of young kids come in the military because their family was desperate for them to get out their house or the neighborhood, and simply flounder at their first base and eventually get kicked out because they are not built for it. At certain bases, mentorship and patience for young, inexperienced, especially minority troops, is at a low or basically non existent. It sucks.

Livingmylifetothefullest

@afrofaithful

I didn't want to quote your whole post LOL but I agree with you 100%. One of our nursing directors is a black woman and she had joined the AF. Did her 20, got her nursing degree and she is sailing through life. I normally don't have anyone I look up to but she is definitely one.

Man, I wish you ladies could meet her :)

dancinstallion

My niece just went to college and lives down the street from the university but she didnt want to go there because she says it is ghetto. she and her mother wanted her to have the college experience so they let her go to a university an hour away to live on campus.

I told them about accumulating debt so early just to stay on campus. I also told them that in their state the first two years of college is free if she went to a community college, or free if she went to the university down the street and picked a certain major(she can always change majors). they said No and made every excuse for her to go to the other school. They dont even know how much she had to borrow to pay for everything. :nono:
My niece said she doesnt care how much it costs even if it is 30k a year she just wants to live on campus. :nono: and she wants to be an md.

Welp my niece dropped out second semester of sophomore year. All that debt for nothing. :nono:

Evolving78

Parents should encourage their kids to get an associates degree in high school with a dual enrollment program. This can save time and money later.
My child was registered to take the SAT but that has been suspended due to Covid-19. Hopefully I can persuade him to take college credit courses during the summer or winter break. He is entering 9th grade this year.

classychic1908

My child was registered to take the SAT but that has been suspended due to Covid-19. Hopefully I can persuade him to take college credit courses during the summer or winter break. He is entering 9th grade this year.

I know this is common for high school juniors and seniors, but how does this work for rising 9th graders? Do they not need to complete high school coursework before college?

naijamerican

I admire your approach and wanted to say that what you said about the first degree being covered by you is the same attitude my parents adopted. I do have loans from undergrad, but my parents felt that undergrad was on them, and grad was on me. I have a lot of graduate school loans and it stresses me out. It seriously compromises my quality of life. However, I will be applying for a loan repayment program that, if I were to get in, would cover about half of my loans because of my line of work. I've made some career moves that, by the grace of God, will make me a competitive applicant.

My experience with student loans has truly changed my thinking about the importance of generational wealth. I don't want my children to be saddled by such debt. And the sad thing is that I have friends whose debt is twice, thrice that of mine. I cannot. This society does not respect the pursuit of education but that's a story for another day. -_-
I keep seeing notifications for this post so I thought I would update. :)

I did indeed get into the program I referred to, which paid off a significant portion of my student loans. I applied for a renewal and am waiting to hear back (please pray that it gets renewed!!). But the relief I feel is palpable!!

My stance has not changed one bit. In fact, I'm all the more determined to tell people to be careful how you approach formal education in this country, including the merits of taking on student loans without tapping into resources to help alleviate their burden.

Kanky

Mini rant.. A lot of people are waiting for student forgiveness from the government to save them. I honestly don’t think that it’s going to happen.

It should happen but people without college educations and people who already paid are too resentful to support it. I have no student loan debt between the scholarships and my parents but I still think that it would be great for the economy to forgive student loans. People would suddenly have a lot more money to spend on homes and other stuff.

tigereyes83

It should happen but people without college educations and people who already paid are too resentful to support it. I have no student loan debt between the scholarships and my parents but I still think that it would be great for the economy to forgive student loans. People would suddenly have a lot more money to spend on homes and other stuff.

Your right. A lot of people will not support it. I rather have reparations honestly. All black slave descendants go to school for free or forgive loans. I worked my behind off with every type of hurdle possible. Just to think of future generations of black people didn’t have these hurdles. I honestly don’t care if the whites struggle with debt.

tigereyes83

One of the schools I have sent with was abruptly shut down for fraud. That portion still haven’t been forgiven.

I could of swore there was some type of follow up process. I don’t think it’s automatic. Forgive me if you already tried following up. Next step would be contact your local state rep.