The most important info you will hear all year.....promise

imaccami

Doesn't the neutralizing shampoo close the cuticle? It's my understanding that the relaxer raises the cuticle and rearranges the bonds, the rinsing removes the relaxer while the cuticle is still raised, and then the neutralizing shampoo neutralizes the relaxer molecules that are still around that haven't been rinsed away and then closes the cuticle.

I barely remember anything from chem class except that it was complicated. That's why I just follow the directions. I mean, they have who knows how many chemists developing formulas and testing it on hair all day everyday. If they don't make a product that can compete with all the other relaxers out there, then everyone's out of a job. So, I think they have to make the best product that they can.

I'm sure they've heard of apple cider vinegar and know that it's acidic. If all it took was some ACV to neutralize hair, I think they would just pour some in the neutralizer and be done with it. (Not knocking people who use ACV, just explaining why it's not for me.) Same thing goes for conditioning before neutralizing. The directions for my relaxer specifically warn against conditioning before neutralizing, so, somebody over there in relaxer world has heard of this technique. A no-lye kit already comes with about 4-5 tiny little packets filled with this, that, and the other, why not include a tiny bottle of conditioner to be used before neutralizing if this were truly beneficial?

I think that the idea of this board is to share ideas and techniques, and ACV rinses and conditioning before neutralizing have worked for many people here, and I don't mean to put those people down. But, I always wonder if someone was using one of these techniques when they say that they went natural because their hair always broke with a relaxer.
(I realize that some relaxers, like Affirm, do include those extra steps, and in that case I say have at it.)

Phew, I don't know why I just wrote all of this because it barely has anything to do with the topic of this thread, but I guess I just had to get it off my chest.

lowridin76

Aren't there some people that were letting the shampoo sit on for about 5 mins.? I think I read that somewhere at some point, and is what I started doing after I read it. I also started using the neutralizing shampoo on the first wash after relaxer.

*fabulosity*

Truth be told.. I don't know what my stylists have really done.. they've washed it a couple times.. but reading another post.. I still smell relaxer the whole week.. now this is one more thing I'm prolly going to get on my stylist's nerves about... but oh well.. gotta protect the hair. I'm gonna want mine to sit for like 10-15...

Thanks for the info.. highly appreciated!

Yellowflowers

Thanks for the posting this. It is always fun to learn something new. For me, I have to be careful to not let the neutralizing shampoo sit for too long. Neutralizing seeks to reconnect the sulfur bonds so as to retain the new shape of the strand, but also has a slight bleaching action, which is why you sometimes see people with sandy reddish undertones to thier hair when it has not been color treated.

Some of these shampoos may contain a form of hydrogen peroxide and formaldahyde.

I usually wash only three times and follow up with a porosity correction shampoo and a lot of rinsing. This way I can usually keep my hair from turning red.

This what works for me but it may work better for someone else to shampoo more.:yep:

Last edited:

Honi

There is no board.
Some relaxer systems don't even tell you to let neutralizing shampoo sit to neutralize the cortex.

Phyto does and I have been doing this since using it.

Good info to know! :yep:

locabouthair

Thanks for the posting this. It is always fun to learn something new. For me, I have to be careful to not let the neutralizing shampoo sit for too long. Neutralizing seeks to reconnect the sulfur bonds so as to retain the new shape of the strand, but also has a slight bleaching action, which is why you sometimes see people with sandy reddish undertones to thier hair when it has not been color treated.

Really???I have the sandy reddish brown color. I know relaxers lighten the hair (as well as the sun) but I didnt know that the neutralizing poo actually does the lightening. I hate having the reddish color in my hair.

I dont know about using ACV. I wouldn't even try it because the few times I used ACV I got tangles galore.

Anyway, I always let the neutralizer sit in for 5 mins, rinse then repeat. I relaxed my hair last night and I think i spend at least 30 mins neutralizing it. Even after I let it sit, and the suds were white, I still lathered again and let it sit again. (I've actually never seen pink suds.) I dont play. I've gotten breakage before at the salon from them not neutralizing well and it aint pretty.:nono:

ajoyfuljoy

Doesn't the neutralizing shampoo close the cuticle? It's my understanding that the relaxer raises the cuticle and rearranges the bonds, the rinsing removes the relaxer while the cuticle is still raised, and then the neutralizing shampoo neutralizes the relaxer molecules that are still around that haven't been rinsed away and then closes the cuticle.

I barely remember anything from chem class except that it was complicated. That's why I just follow the directions. I mean, they have who knows how many chemists developing formulas and testing it on hair all day everyday. If they don't make a product that can compete with all the other relaxers out there, then everyone's out of a job. So, I think they have to make the best product that they can.

I'm sure they've heard of apple cider vinegar and know that it's acidic. If all it took was some ACV to neutralize hair, I think they would just pour some in the neutralizer and be done with it. (Not knocking people who use ACV, just explaining why it's not for me.) Same thing goes for conditioning before neutralizing. The directions for my relaxer specifically warn against conditioning before neutralizing, so, somebody over there in relaxer world has heard of this technique. A no-lye kit already comes with about 4-5 tiny little packets filled with this, that, and the other, why not include a tiny bottle of conditioner to be used before neutralizing if this were truly beneficial?

I think that the idea of this board is to share ideas and techniques, and ACV rinses and conditioning before neutralizing have worked for many people here, and I don't mean to put those people down. But, I always wonder if someone was using one of these techniques when they say that they went natural because their hair always broke with a relaxer.
(I realize that some relaxers, like Affirm, do include those extra steps, and in that case I say have at it.)

Phew, I don't know why I just wrote all of this because it barely has anything to do with the topic of this thread, but I guess I just had to get it off my chest.

No problem. Say what's on your mind. You know, I think about it like cigarettes. They sell something that they know is going to kill most of the people who use it faithfully. They slap a warning label on it and then they go and make their money.

To me, the way they package the instructions/warnings on relaxers is the same. They say enough and put enough research into it to get OK results and keep people happy. But they don't go that extra mile.

That's why, most people who smoke end up paying the price with their health and many women who relax have shoulder-length or less, breaking hair (unless they give their hair TLC).

They wouldn't tell people to use ACV b/c they can't make money off of it. They wouldn't tell people to neutralize for so many minutes b/c they make more money off of selling creams for broke hair, miracles in a bottle and weave. They say enough so your scalp isn't permanently damaged. But they don't give you that extra info. to make your hair truly amazing b/c they really don't care.

We have to look out for ourselves. What is good for one isn't good for the other. But I never completely trust the side that is looking out for their bottom line.

Last edited:

Chevelure618

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I've always wondered about this....I am seriously considering self-relaxing next time (though the last stylist that did my relaxer did a great job of following my instructions) I'm starting to think that I'm the only one who will really care to take proper precautions and steps with my hair.

Luckily I have eliminated the need for a stylist, except for getting relaxers. Hopefully I'll get up the nerve before the next time I relax.

I wonder how this applies to the Affirm relaxer instructions of using the Sustenance conditioner before shampooing with the neutralizer.....:ohwell:
i was just going to ask the same question.

KinkyKurlyKim

Wow. Back in my relaxing days, I always thought white meant all the perm was out. Now that I think back, I can remember multiple times when I would still feel a slight stinging sensation after rinsing it out. I thought I was trippin, but now I know it's because the stuff was still in my head! I'm going to go pass this technique on to my Ma right now!!! THANKS SO MUCH!

luvmesumhair

:blush::blush: So do you think this is why my hair is shedding a lot right now? I did a touch up this past March 1 and every since then, my hair has been shedding. It seems to be slowing up a little bit, well a LOT since my first wash after my perm, but it is still shedding none the less.:wallbash:

Mind you, I neutralized 3 times and left the last wash on for 5 mins.

Is it to late to correct this problem? Will I go bald???:look:

loved

this could be why I have had so much breakage in the crown area. I will definitely pay close attention to neutralizing in the future.:)

I think this may be why I have breakage in my crown too. The breakage pattern is making me think that it's chemical damage. I rinse my hair in the sink with my head down and I don't think I pay enough attention to the top & front of my head during the rinse process.

melodies815

All of this reminds me of why I BC. I mean absolutely no disrespect to relaxed heads...but all this is why I got tired of relaxing my head. My hair was pretty many, many, MANY days......

......but I just didn't know what I was doing to my skin and to my body in general....random breakage, shedding, headaches, fatigue, major female issues that are getting better in just ONE MONTH of not relaxing...bleccchhhh....(not to be gross or add TMI...but I had my easiest cycle in 2 years...THIS month, the first month after my BC!!!) For women with my particular issues (fibroids and endometriosis/adenomyosis), there's NO coincidence! If I end up getting pregnant in the next year or so, I'll have no doubt that what I was putting on my head and onto body was the main culprit!!! I truly mean no harm, but I do thank God for this post. I just reminds me all over again what worked for me and my issues and what what has made me more healthy. Why I added chemicals to my life again....I will never understand. Lawd, hep me!

I know this isn't the reason for this post...but girl, you sure did bring something up in me! Don't shoot me, ya'll! Please don't hate on me. I have nothing against relaxers. I relaxed for many years and was happy about it....but I paid the price....just like I did when I drank carbonated drinks. Look....anything that will take the paint off of a CAR cannot be good for the insides of my body!!!!

ANY WAAAAYYYYYY.....I pray that we all take heed to the long wait and let the shampoo "hang out on our heads" on the last neutralizing cycle...

Thank you for everyone who didn't just throw up during my rant. I pray for all of us spiritual and physical health, long life, and if we want it....long hair.

Thanks so much for this post and for everyone else who has kept it near the top!!! Let's keep it up if we can. This should be a stickie...

Much love,
Christi

Last edited:

divinempress

....The reason for this phenomenon is that neutralization is not instantaneous. It requires time (all you science nerds like myself know this).
How many of your stylists let it sit? Those who do, thats good. Those who don't y'all betta speak up.

Avant says he has 4 minutes,
but I say I've got at least 5 or all my hair gon fall out!!!!

:lachen:

Thanks for posting...I don't think you overstated your title at all! This ish is important!! Usually once my lather turns white I'm out the shower...no question

imaccami

No problem. Say what's on your mind. You know, I think about it like cigarettes. They sell something that they know is going to kill most of the people who use it faithfully. They slap a warning label on it and then they go and make their money.

To me, the way they package the instructions/warnings on relaxers is the same. They say enough and put enough research into it to get OK results and keep people happy. But they don't go that extra mile.

That's why, most people who smoke end up paying the price with their health and many women who relax have shoulder-length or less, breaking hair (unless they give their hair TLC).

They wouldn't tell people to use ACV b/c they can't make money off of it. They wouldn't tell people to neutralize for so many minutes b/c they make more money off of selling creams for broke hair, miracles in a bottle and weave. They say enough so your scalp isn't permanently damaged. But they don't give you that extra info. to make your hair truly amazing b/c they really don't care.

We have to look out for ourselves. What is good for one isn't good for the other. But I never completely trust the side that is looking out for their bottom line.

I agree with you that we have to look out for ourselves, that's one of my favorite things about this site, that we all try to help each other out. But, I do think that companies trying to increase their profits actually benefits the consumer because they have to make a better product in order to beat the competition.

Part of the fun of this site is reading the techniques that others recommend and then giving it a try. Just because I didn't like the results of putting oil in my hair or adding honey to my conditioner didn't make it any less fun to read about and try. So, I don't want to sound like I'm against the idea of this site. I just think that with relaxer it changes from fun and light hearted to risky.

I mean, I don't think that my very basic (pun intended!) understanding of the pH scale is enough to compete with the chemists who develop relaxers. So, I'll take their word for it. And, if I follow the directions and don't like how my hair turns out, then I'll switch to another brand. But, to put my chemist hat on and try to fix it with something from the grocery store seems like wishful thinking to me.

IMO, anyone who wants to experiment should go ahead and do whatever they want before they apply the relaxer and after the neutralizing shampoo, but I think it's a good idea to stick to relaxer-rinse-neutralizing shampoo. But, that's just my opinion and I know I can't change anyone's mind, I guess I was just venting.

Last edited: