The Most-successful Ethnic Group In America Is...?

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
This woman is impressive... won a $500k MacArthur grant, grew up in home once lived in by Chinua Achebe... her sister is a doctor, her mother a university registrar, her dad a professor... her middle name means "blessing".. studied creative writing at Johns Hopkins... whew...

Chimamanda Adichie, is a very successful author. Her husband is a Medical Dr. There was no way she was going to bring home a starving artist in the name of love.

Laela

AS much as this ethnic group has contributed to the U.S. economy, they get this treatment? Trump is really the devil...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/02/world/africa/trump-travel-ban.html

Bilateral Economic Relations

The United States is the largest foreign investor in Nigeria, with U.S. foreign direct investment concentrated largely in the petroleum/mining and wholesale trade sectors. At $2.2 billion in 2017, Nigeria is the second largest U.S. export destination in Sub-Saharan Africa. The United States and Nigeria have a bilateral trade and investment framework agreement. In 2017, the two-way trade in goods between the United States and Nigeria totaled over $9 billion. U.S. exports to Nigeria include wheat, vehicles, machinery, kerosene, lubricating oils, jet fuel, civilian aircraft, and plastics. Nigerian exports to the United States included crude oil, cocoa, cashew nuts, and animal feed. Nigeria is eligible for preferential trade benefits under the African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA).
Source: https://www.state.gov/u-s-relations-with-nigeria/

sheanu

AS much as this ethnic group has contributed to the U.S. economy, they get this treatment? Trump is really the devil...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/02/world/africa/trump-travel-ban.html
I just commented in there that I believe this is an effort by the administration to starve the country to make it easier to negotiate in the future. Starve em and come in as the "white horse" after a few years with limited opportunities for people to come here for the educational and employment opportunities, and an inability to send funds back home to relatives in need. By that time people will see the deal as a savior.

We ready can't vote Agent Orange back in. 4 more years of this hurts more than just Americans smh.

Laela

^^ I believe too that's it's a strategy. Russia and China have gained great strides in Nigeria right now..looks like there is a race to see with superpower will "win" that country. I feel Nigerians aren't on the political landscape as strongly as other African nations...despite their great economic status.

It's odd, for some reason, I'd read a commentary that stated that a lot of Nigerians actually admire Trump... I'll go find the story

Layluh

^^ I believe too that's it's a strategy. Russia and China have gained great strides in Nigeria right now..looks like there is a race to see with superpower will "win" that country. I feel Nigerians aren't on the political landscape as strongly as other African nations...despite their great economic status.

It's odd, for some reason, I'd read a commentary that stated that a lot of Nigerians actually admire Trump... I'll go find the story
Did you ever find it

Laela

It was an Op-ed piece in the NY Times, written by a Nigerian...

Trump trashes Nigeria and bans its immigrants. Nigerians love him for it.
Tough talk, candor and resilience are admired in my country. The president is perceived to have these traits.

A busy street in Lagos, Nigeria, recently. President Trump has called for a ban on immigrants from Nigeria. (Pius Utomi Ekpei/Afp Via Getty Images)

By Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani
Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani is a Nigerian writer and journalist based in Abuja. Her debut novel, "I Do Not Come to You by Chance," was named a best book of 2009 by The Washington Post. Her latest novel is "Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree."
Feb. 7, 2020 at 12:28 p.m. EST
ABUJA, NIGERIA
President Trump doesn’t want Africans flooding into his country. But let’s be honest. Who really does? Certainly not any other world leader of this era. Trump just happens to be the one bold or uncaring enough to say the quiet part out loud. He’s the rare white politician sparing us the trouble of deciphering what he might think. And Nigerians love him for it.

It later got quoted in another news source:
Despite Travel Ban, Trump Remains Popular in Nigeria
Interesting read...

Did you ever find it

Layluh

It was an Op-ed piece in the NY Times, written by a Nigerian...

Trump trashes Nigeria and bans its immigrants. Nigerians love him for it.
Tough talk, candor and resilience are admired in my country. The president is perceived to have these traits.

A busy street in Lagos, Nigeria, recently. President Trump has called for a ban on immigrants from Nigeria. (Pius Utomi Ekpei/Afp Via Getty Images)

By Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani
Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani is a Nigerian writer and journalist based in Abuja. Her debut novel, "I Do Not Come to You by Chance," was named a best book of 2009 by The Washington Post. Her latest novel is "Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree."
Feb. 7, 2020 at 12:28 p.m. EST
ABUJA, NIGERIA
President Trump doesn’t want Africans flooding into his country. But let’s be honest. Who really does? Certainly not any other world leader of this era. Trump just happens to be the one bold or uncaring enough to say the quiet part out loud. He’s the rare white politician sparing us the trouble of deciphering what he might think. And Nigerians love him for it.

It later got quoted in another news source:
Despite Travel Ban, Trump Remains Popular in Nigeria
Interesting read...

I can see why they'd like him. No judgement. We even have that argument here regarding Overt racists vs covert racists and which one we prefer.

Laela

I remember experiencing the difference between the two when I moved from the DC area to Texas.
Since then, I've accepted that the lesser of two evils is still evil.. :yep:

I can see why they'd like him. No judgement. We even have that argument here regarding Overt racists vs covert racists and which one we prefer.