the new board look

cutenss

Do we no longer have the Arcade games, or are they somewhere else? I love that Swine Flu chicken game :(

SEMO

I miss the drop down navigation box of the bottom on the screen which allowed me to switch forums quickly. But I choose to be optimistic about its return. :)

Nevermind, I see it now. It's just in a different location on the screen. :)

Last edited:

JaneiR36

it looks like crap on my iphone which is how i log on 99.9% of the time

Definitely took me some getting used to. One problem I had on my iPhone is that the "first new post" button is so tiny, you have to zoom / pinch way in, in order to be able to tap that button and not something else.

The main reason I logged onto this sub-forum today is the Google search results are all broken now. They point to topics in an old format, for example:

Old format: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/threads/495181

New format: ht_tp://www.longhaircareforum.com/threads/495181-the-new-board-look *

So when you click them it'll dump you on the main site instead of the thread you want.

My question is, if I know the thread number "495181", what's an easy way to get to it, now that it has subject line text in the URL?

I think I like the reply box just popping up right underneath the post you're replying to, even though you're quoting that post. Have we always had this? Ah, it's 2010. Things were bound to change eventually. Hopefully mostly for the better.

* Note that I intentionally broke up the "http" as "ht_tp" so it wouldn't abbreviate my text as a result of the automatic URL conversion.

Last edited:

SEMO

ohhhhh thx. i would've never seen it

No problem. :) I'm glad the feature is still there.

Honestly, I've gotten so set in my ways in the years I've been on this forum, I didn't want to have to learn a new way to surf around the site.

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
I've only been on for 10 min and I have a headache already. The color scheme is too bright for me, I wish the old option to change the colors was here. I'm going to wait and see what changes will take place in the next couple of days. Hopefully the mods are reading this thread.

lovelexi

I like the fonts. But I think they need to be bigger. My content field isnt centered which is weird. The new and old posts are confusing me. I can barely tell which is which. This new layout is refreshing but I feel the color scheme is off.

westNDNbeauty

why is the webpage not centered on the screen?? there is like 3-4 inches screen on my right that could be used to make everything bigger.

Black Ambrosia

When you look at the list of threads with new posts, why do some have a red mail icon to the far left while others have a blue mail icon? What does that mean?

dimopoulos

Crazy Greek
Staff member
Hmm...I don't really like it. :nono:Too much white. It's blinding me. I don't have any problems getting used to technology, but I hope they consider getting rid of all the white.

A new skin is on the todo list. The update is not over. It was going to be either either use the default skin or no forum so I chose the former :)

lilikoi

@NIKOS:

How about the ads within the forums (as opposed to just on the title pages)? Will that be a permanent change?

Thanks for all you've done so far.

lilikoi

@NIKOS:

How about the ads within the forums (as opposed to just on the title pages)? Will that be a permanent change?

dimopoulos

Crazy Greek
Staff member
How do we search on this new board. I tried doing a search in the hair forum using a very common word and it came back with zero hits.

I don't think it works.

The internal search engine is being rebuilt. It is a really slow process and I made sure that it will not impact the forum - it processes 250 posts at a time. For a 7M post forum it will take some time. I believe it is halfway done by now.

We have however made a huge investment (in the thousands of dollars) to purchase a dedicated search engine for the forum. This will allow more customization and faster results without impacting the operation of the forum. The new search feature will be available in the next few weeks.

dimopoulos

Crazy Greek
Staff member
First of all, Thanks Nikos, for all the work you put into this update.
I know it wasn't just about aesthetics, but mostly for security reasons. I think I'll get used to the new color scheme and layout (eventually) but I have two pet peeves:

1) I'd like the "thanks" button back on the right hand side

and, most importantly

2) TAKE THE ADVERTISEMENTS OUT OF THE ACTUAL THREADS! I find this very irritating, besides, we already see the ads on the main forum page, but this seems intrusive (plus it's one of the features of the "Naturally curly" site that I find most annoying. I really don't want it here)

Rant over.

Please try to refrain from using huge fonts. The white background might be bad (even for me) but the huge font serves no other purpose :)

I will check about the Thanks button - since it is a modification that someone else did I will have to check it out on where it is placed etc. without borking the rest of the forum. It is on my list to check but it does not have a high priority since other things are 'missing' that need to be addressed first.

On (2) Where are the ads on threads? Can you give me an example? The idea is that the ads are exactly where they were in the previous layout. That is

1. Below breadcrumbs
2. After thread list
3. Right sidebar (skyscraper)
4. Right sidebar (two boxes)

There are supposed to be ads also for non subscribers or guests in between posts. Is that where you are seeing them?

Please let me know.

dimopoulos

Crazy Greek
Staff member
@NIKOS:

Do you mind providing a link?

For subscribers there should NOT be any ads in between posts. The ads locations that we have are mentioned in the above post

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
And would it also be possible for us to read the entire title of a thread without clicking on it?

JaneiR36

Any word on the broken thread links? This is also affecting links to threads from other (pre-upgrade) LHCF posts, those links do not appear to work.

dimopoulos

Crazy Greek
Staff member
Any word on the broken thread links? This is also affecting links to threads from other (pre-upgrade) LHCF posts, those links do not appear to work.

Can you please report the broken links - a post here will do. Let me know and I will fix it

Usually if you had something like:

www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=1234

becomes

www.longhaircareforum.com/threads/1234

gn1g

change is good, it helps to exercise your brain. although i would like a different color scheme.

MrsHouston

I'd like to know what exact changes were made, like new items and instructions for using them, which items are gone, etc to better navigate the site. Thanks in advance!

JaneiR36

Can you please report the broken links - a post here will do. Let me know and I will fix it

Usually if you had something like:

www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=1234

becomes

www.longhaircareforum.com/threads/1234

Ah, thanks for the instruction on the new format. I used it to correct a Google result to point read a thread I was interested in. I wonder if those will self-update when Google does their regularly scheduled broken links system update?

Here's an example of a thread showing the old style link, and see where clicking the link to another thread within this topic sends you:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/th...-me-find-that-thread....?highlight=find+topic

Clicking the link posted by Xavier just sends you to the parent Pregnancy forum, not to the thread itself. Here's the one I was actually attempting to read today:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/threads/42664-Chicago-Alert!-Chicago-Alert!-Chicago-Alert!

I'd been trying to click the links on Avaya's post but the thread number appears to have too many digits in it: 4313977. Is this an incorrect format?

My main point is that those links (where legitimate) could possibly all be broken. I'm guessing it may not be possible and/or a high priority to fix them all?