~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

MummysGirl

Hi Ladies,

Gorgeous hair all round :yep:

I'm back home in Nigeria for a few weeks and want to put in extensions (1st time in YEARS). As I workout most days, I've been advised to do 'feathers' (braids which are medium to small sized and are layered). I need something light so when I rinse/wash, it'd be easy to dry.

Do you have any suggestions please? TIA!

Platinum

I'm home today and I'm removing my tree braids. I wanted to go back to the braided and have her to correct it, but my scalp is so sore. I'm going to make a scalp treatment with Neem powder. I'm thinking about flat ironing my hair this week so I can give my scalp a break.

MaraWithLove

Does anyone else have that one layer that's a looser curl pattern so that it appears stretched next to the other hair? Where it makes it look longer and like one part grows down whereas the rest grows out?

I'm gonna attempt to take a picture to show this. But basically, I feel like unless I stretch the center and back of my head then the bottom layer and the sides just 'sticks out and hang down.' Mind you, even without manipulation and even when dry that's just how my hair goes. -_-

Fab_Nikki

Does anyone else have that one layer that's a looser curl pattern so that it appears stretched next to the other hair? Where it makes it look longer and like one part grows down whereas the rest grows out?

I'm gonna attempt to take a picture to show this. But basically, I feel like unless I stretch the center and back of my head then the bottom layer and the sides just 'sticks out and hang down.' Mind you, even without manipulation and even when dry that's just how my hair goes. -_-

Yes, it has a slight wave and that's about all. It's not heat damaged because I've never flat ironed my hair as a natural AND I am almost 1 year post BC. I think that area is just going to be like that. That section is the reason I don't think any of my two-strand twist look good.

MaraWithLove

Yes, it has a slight wave and that's about all. It's not heat damaged because I've never flat ironed my hair as a natural AND I am almost 1 year post BC. I think that area is just going to be like that. That section is the reason I don't think any of my two-strand twist look good.

OMG glad someone can relate! Yes, same here-it's not heat damaged either, I've been natural for 8 months- it's just looser and I guess grows in a different pattern lol. It makes wearing a puff look weird too-unless I comb out all my hair then it looks like a carved out halo with random dangling swirls! But yeah I can totally understand your position with the twisting too. I've come to just M&S and let my hair do what it wants most of the time. I usually wear a hat or thick headband around this time of the year anyways. :yep: I'd twisted my hair (and it's at that awkward chin and NL anyways) and yes the twists in the back I loved. The others? Not so much. :/

ETA: your hair is gorgeous! You have the PERFECT amount of volume without it being overwhelming! *_*

Avaya

I think I am going to wear beanies again this winter. Twisting my hair just takes too long and I need my weekends to get my school work done.

pookaloo83

Avaya wear your twists with the beanie. I do! At least you'll be twisted up underneath and if it looks frizzy and needs to be redone, who cares cause no one will see it. You'll just get to it when you get to it.

MaraWithLove

Avaya wear your twists with the beanie. I do! At least you'll be twisted up underneath and if it looks frizzy and needs to be redone, who cares cause no one will see it. You'll just get to it when you get to it.

Planning to do exactly this. Did it for a few days last week then wore it as a twist out. I have so many cute little beanies to choose from too, I'm quite excited! :look::grin:

indarican

I posted this in another thread this morning but havent gotten any responses. I will be with yall tomorrow!!!

all my natural sisters!!! so i tried to do a wash and go this morning but i was having some issues with my relaxed ends, of course they didnt even pretend to curl.... SOOOO i hacked one side of relaxed ends off!!!

Then i got all chicken and didnt finish, but i know i have to because i sincerely look crazy..lol... so i will finish tonight at 11 months post!!! Any who, I want to rock the wash and go's but this morning when i tried it on the side with no relaxed ends of course, it came out all wrong.

I cowashed with VO5 moisturizing conditioner, detangeled in the shower,
dried my hair a little it was still damp, applied KCNT in 4 sections, combed through with my wide tooth comb, then applied eco styler gel and combed through with the denam. The hair on top was great, curls poppin all over the place, but the hair on the inside was a frizzy mess, all the curl definition was gone just a fro under curls... what am i doing wrong. Do i need smaller sections? only use the denam? put the leave in and the gel on at the same time?
What do you think, hopefully someone answers today since i wanna do this for tomorrow

Oh I have 3c/4a hair almost SL in most places EL in the rest... ITS SUPER SUPER THICK... i can take one quarter of my head and make a decent pony tail for a whole head... thickness wise, not length.

Avaya

wear your twists with the beanie. I do! At least you'll be twisted up underneath and if it looks frizzy and needs to be redone, who cares cause no one will see it. You'll just get to it when you get to it.

@pookaloo83 That's what I'm going to do, but I won't have nearly as many twists and they WILL NOT be presentable in the least bit (think Ceily braids - the twists addition). I'm thinking 4-6 big twists haphazardly placed. Wam, bam, thank you ma'am, I's done!

I have about 33 medium-large twists on my head at the moment. My hair is 7-9 inches long. It takes me 9 hours to twist my hair :nono:. It's too much!

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Mini twists are back! I did them on dirty hair that had been stretched in braids overnight. This is them after cowashing

I'll follow my same method of getting them wet/damp and using gel on the ends, but instead of KCCC I'm trying kiss my face upper management gel this time around

Embyra

I posted this in another thread this morning but havent gotten any responses. I will be with yall tomorrow!!!

all my natural sisters!!! so i tried to do a wash and go this morning but i was having some issues with my relaxed ends, of course they didnt even pretend to curl.... SOOOO i hacked one side of relaxed ends off!!!

Then i got all chicken and didnt finish, but i know i have to because i sincerely look crazy..lol... so i will finish tonight at 11 months post!!! Any who, I want to rock the wash and go's but this morning when i tried it on the side with no relaxed ends of course, it came out all wrong.

I cowashed with VO5 moisturizing conditioner, detangeled in the shower,
dried my hair a little it was still damp, applied KCNT in 4 sections, combed through with my wide tooth comb, then applied eco styler gel and combed through with the denam. The hair on top was great, curls poppin all over the place, but the hair on the inside was a frizzy mess, all the curl definition was gone just a fro under curls... what am i doing wrong. Do i need smaller sections? only use the denam? put the leave in and the gel on at the same time?
What do you think, hopefully someone answers today since i wanna do this for tomorrow

Oh I have 3c/4a hair almost SL in most places EL in the rest... ITS SUPER SUPER THICK... i can take one quarter of my head and make a decent pony tail for a whole head... thickness wise, not length.

indaricanyour question was answered on the wash and go thread:yep:

Ladybelle

So, I bc'd on Oct 7 and went to the barbershop today to get it shaped. My barber was FINE! Tall, handsome, beard, older than me. Just my type. :lick: I don't plan on cutting my hair anymore, but I WILL be taking my son back to get his hair cut there and the next time I planning on putting the heels on. :lol:

Anyway, back on topic. Today is the first day I've worn my BC in public. It feels like everyone is looking at me. I can say this, you definitely have to be confident to rock a TWA. It pushes me out of my comfort zone, which is a good thing.

I also stopped and got some mac makeup and big earrings. I feel my face has got to be on point with this TWA.

anyone relate?

Fab_Nikki

EEEEEK! Tomorrow is my one year naturalversary!!!!!!!!!!! I have no plans...I want to length check but I do NOT want to flat iron my hair. OMG I'm so excited!!!!!!

glamchick84

So, I bc'd on Oct 7 and went to the barbershop today to get it shaped. My barber was FINE! Tall, handsome, beard, older than me. Just my type. :lick: I don't plan on cutting my hair anymore, but I WILL be taking my son back to get his hair cut there and the next time I planning on putting the heels on. :lol:

Anyway, back on topic. Today is the first day I've worn my BC in public. It feels like everyone is looking at me. I can say this, you definitely have to be confident to rock a TWA. It pushes me out of my comfort zone, which is a good thing.

I also stopped and got some mac makeup and big earrings. I feel my face has got to be on point with this TWA.

anyone relate?

Same here, I am five months post bc and wore my twa out for the first time like a week ago. I am not confident at all with short hair. :nono: (not to mention i am 8 months pregnant). I am dam ugly right now:lol:

Skiggle

I have been MIA for months. But I will start to update during middle of November after I take out these big kinky twists. My Natural Hairversary is on Nov 26..I'm excited. Hope you ladies are doing well.

Zaz

It's been a year (well almost, I'm a month early) since I flat ironed my hair for the first time so I did a comparison. I felt like my hair hadn't really been growing because my wash n gos pretty much look the same as they did last year. I also felt I did a lot of damage to my hair this summer with swimming, not detangling often, no DCs... overall I'd been mistreating it a bit because I spent a lot of time away from home and my regular routine. So I was somewhat pleasantly surprised by these.

P.S there was a thread about naturals' true length, flat ironed vs pulling, and my pulled hair is definitely longer than my flat ironed hair, pulled I'm past BSB, straightened I graze APL. Maybe because I can't get to the roots, so now I know not to get too excited by the pulled hair length :giggle:

Last edited:

indarican

Hey all i have a question! I just BC'd a couple weeks ago (although i keep finding relaxed ends UGH) and i have been daily cowashing and rocking a WNG puff. my hair hasnt really been tangled, im able to get my hand through. Very little snags with the shower comb. My hair wasnt breaking very litte shed hair. But i have SOOOOO SOOOOOO SOOOOO many SSK's there like everywhere. I know they are probably from the WNG's but realistically that is the only style that i can do right now. i tried the bantu knot out and i looked like Bozo the clown. And im not sure how you ladies are stretching out your hair without the blow dryer. I used the blow dryer for the first time yesterday. half way through i was having a panic attack. I would really perfer not to do that any more, especially since parts of my hair REQUIRE gel that i would need to wash out at least every two days.
any suggestions?

pookaloo83

Hey all i have a question! I just BC'd a couple weeks ago (although i keep finding relaxed ends UGH) and i have been daily cowashing and rocking a WNG puff. my hair hasnt really been tangled, im able to get my hand through. Very little snags with the shower comb. My hair wasnt breaking very litte shed hair. But i have SOOOOO SOOOOOO SOOOOO many SSK's there like everywhere. I know they are probably from the WNG's but realistically that is the only style that i can do right now. i tried the bantu knot out and i looked like Bozo the clown. And im not sure how you ladies are stretching out your hair without the blow dryer. I used the blow dryer for the first time yesterday. half way through i was having a panic attack. I would really perfer not to do that any more, especially since parts of my hair REQUIRE gel that i would need to wash out at least every two days.
any suggestions?

indarican how long is your bc'd hair? I sometimes stretch by blowdrying with the tension method. Holding my hair taut while waving the blowdryer up and down the length. Or putting the hair in braids to stretch it out

indarican

@indarican how long is your bc'd hair? I sometimes stretch by blowdrying with the tension method. Holding my hair taut while waving the blowdryer up and down the length. Or putting the hair in braids to stretch it out

I tried the stretching with the blowdryer, but i really dont want to use the heat, plus when i tried my hair reverted... ( i sweat on my scalp)
Also i cant cornrow... i can do the little girl braids, but my hair is so thick they dont stay, they just unravel or rather Poof out

its about shoulder length, when its stretched

Ladybelle

Same here, I am five months post bc and wore my twa out for the first time like a week ago. I am not confident at all with short hair. :nono: (not to mention i am 8 months pregnant). I am dam ugly right now:lol:

glamchick84 I bet you are just as cute as can be with your bc and baby bump! Congrats!:grin: You make the hairstyle, it doesn't make you! At least that's what I've been telling myself and it's been working, I've gotten tons of compliments since I decided to just rock the bc without fear.

queenbree

After an 11 month transition, I BC'd today! I'm pleased with the way it turned out. I'll be back later to add pics!

ETA: here's the pics!

The hair at the top is 3c.

The hair at the back is 4a.

Last edited:

Platinum

I'm back in tree braids for a while. My friend in New York braided for me this past weekend. She did a better job than the braid shop back home. I think I'm going to do the Crown and Glory method during the winter months (or perhaps all of 2012).

glamchick84

glamchick84 I bet you are just as cute as can be with your bc and baby bump! Congrats!:grin: You make the hairstyle, it doesn't make you! At least that's what I've been telling myself and it's been working, I've gotten tons of compliments since I decided to just rock the bc without fear.

Thanks for the encouraging words. :) I have yet to get any compliments only stares:lol:

Last edited:

MA2010

Hey ladies! :hiya:

I haven't been in this thread in a hot minute. I love all the updates and beautiful heads of hair!