~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

preciouslove0x

Hey all! Yay I'm glad this thread was made :yep:

When you BCd - Early March of this year (2010) :grin:
How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd - 7 months
Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristics (strand size, density, curl diameter, amount of shrinkage, growth pattern-up/down, etc.) - 4b. I have coffee-stirrer sized coils. Shrinkage - Can't tell just yet I still have a super TWA. I have about 3-4 inches of hair. But the shrinkage is definitely there. I also have fine strands but many many of them. I love how dense my hair is!
Your current regimen - So I BCed over my spring break and knew that if I came back to school for the last few months with a TWA my grades would go down the toilet b/c I would be in my hair constantly. Sooooo I decided to get braids one last time. I'll be taking them out in two weeks and that's when the fun will begin!! I can't WAIT to see what works and what doesn't work with my new head of hair :look:
Your favorite styles - don't know yet :ohwell:
Your current length and goals - 3-4 inches stretched MBL
Your photo album, if any - not yet

Last edited:

andromeda

Andromeda, this is a great thread!!! Although I am still transitioning, I have read of so many posts with questions as to "what to do once completely natural". Definitely a support group was necessary. Andromeda, I believe you did your BC or final chop to natural. What about VainJane, FoxGlove, Digital Rain and others? How did you prepare? Did you have help or did you complete this yourself? Notice any differences once all relaxed ends were off?
Good questions. In terms of preparing myself mentally/vetting myself to ensure that I was ready BC, I thought about the following, as outlined in the post below:
Hey, I'm also thinking about BCing. I'm only 12 months post and I'm trying to approach the decision to BC from a logical mindset.

Here's something I asked myself: "Is my consideration to BC rational or emotional? Am I BCing out of frustration, disgust [towards stringy relaxed ends], contentment, excitement or practicality?" You've already answered this question - you're frustrated. Now you have to clear your mind and consider it from a practical perspective. You might want to ask yourself, "What problems will BCing solve for me?". Here's a more detailed breakdown of the approach I'm taking, laid out in a table format:

hair in its current state | hair post-bc

style & appearance

lifestyle

care&regimen

products

likelihood of relaxing

Here are some questions that go along with this chart:
Appearance
- Will I be comfortable with my hair at the post-bc length?

-Do I have a grasp of styles that I will wear and do these styles complement my lifestyle (work, events, exercise, etc.)?

-What styling options will I be missing out on if I BC?

-Have I accepted my texture?

Regimen+ Hair Health
-Will BCing make my hair easier to care for?

-How will BCing affect my regimen?

-How will BCing affect my product lineup?

-If I find myself in a rut after BCing, would I be in danger of relaxing?
Once I was convinced that I was ready to BC (I actually slept on it for a few days just to make sure), I saturated my hair in conditioner and got my shears ready. I started clipping off relaxed ends, leaving about 1-1.5 (or more) of straight ends, just in case they were actually naturally hair that hadn't reverted. I DCd overnight with a protein conditioner (Aubrey Organics GPB) and woke up to find that those ends were still straight. I chopped some more, eventually brushing out my hair into a fro, so the straight ends would be more obvious and I could trim it as one would trim a shrub. :lol: I though I got them all but I still found more last weekend and trimmed some more. At this point I still see some straight ends :wallbash: (it's really like my hair or my mind is playing tricks on me:lol:) but I'm not gonna trim them. I don't trust anyone to trim my hair but maybe I'll have my mom trim the back of it since it's feasible that I did miss some of the relaxed ends there.

Now that the ends are off, I notice that my hair is more manageable. In terms of appearance, it's still very tightly coiled, slightly moreso than when the relaxed ends were hanging on but not dramatically so. I still have some loose tendrils at my nape and temples which can be frustrating when it comes to styling and was confusing when I was trimming off the relaxed ends.
hey yall!! :)

I Big chopped on 03/20/2012. So far so good! I'm loving my natural hair even though its not much..lol. I just wore it out for the first time without hiding it under my lacewig a couple of days ago and I felt great.

Products that I use right now are: s-curl, curl free curl, sta so fro, softee curl activator, vatika, evoo, and my absolute favorite provectiv anti-dryness.. I love this stuff! Its
amazing

If anyone have a product or a technique that they would recommend to help elimate frizz I would appreciate it. :)

here are some pics of my hair..
The first one is the day of my BC and the other two are very recent pics of my hair.
You are too fierce with that TWA!:cool:

Last edited:

cch24

Had hair day today!! Now I'm reminded of why I spend 7 minutes on my hair 6 days a week. I'm lazy! Ended up taking a nap under my dryer with my deep conditioner mix on because I was too tired to rinse it out. Spent some time cutting a few more straight ends. Every time I think I've got them all more appear. Sooo annoying.

I don't plan on straightening until December but I'm really nervous that my straight hair will look crazy with all of my natural layers...

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
Not much to report here. I'm rockin my shrunken fro. Its a bit longer now. 1 and 3/4 to 2 inches long. Go me, Woot Woot! 3 inches by this time in July would be great. I'm still loving my Healthy Hair Butter from Carol's Daughter. That in conjunction with my Pink SassaFrazz Spray makes my hair feel super happy. Also, I've never Deep Conditioned my hair...perhaps that should go on the "to do" list.

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
i still have some straight hairs too. i admit i cut them today, but i'm trying to stay away from the scissors.

i can't wait to twist my hair. i'm gonna do it tomorrow instead of sunday, cuz it will be raining so i'll have all day. ♥

sumertyme08

HEY EVERYBODY!!! i BC'd 3/4/10 after about a 10 month transition.

my strands are are fairly thick and I believe I have medium density.

I currently have anywhere between 4-7 inches of hair, my goal is WL stretched. I'm short with a short torso (13.5" from sl to wl) so given no setbacks, it shouldn't take me too long.

My curl diameter ranges from a thick marker to a pen spring. In the front I have more of a wave vs. curl pattern. My hair is extremely frizzy and I haven't quite figured out how to minimize the frizz esp. in the front.

For the last month my signature style has been the below wash n go...

I LOOOVE suave coconut as my leave in. I haven't incorporated any oils into my regimen at this time nor do I have a strict regimen at this time. I think I may install some crochet braids for a couple months.

One thing that I've noticed since going natural is that my hair doesn't shed!!! While relaxed I could run my fingers through my hair and have a several strands come out at any given time...but I now have severe HIH syndrome and I can honestly say not once have I had a hair to come out. Also I use a paddle brush to detangle in the shower and I have NOT cleaned it out since going natural because there is hardly any hair in it. At first I thought it may have gone down the drain...but that wasn't it because as a relaxed head i had to keep drano on hand for all the hair going down the drain, it's not getting caught in my crack either :look: I don't know why my hair isn't shedding...but I'm not complaining!!!

Anyway....thank you for starting this thread!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 296

txcurly10

Thanks so much for this thread!

When you BCd
I BCd last Saturday, April 17

How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd
I was almost thirteen months post-relaxer

Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristics (strand size, density, curl diameter, amount of shrinkage, growth pattern-up/down, etc.) - a detailed description can help in evaluating product and regimen's possible effectiveness
While I was relaxing, and during my transition, I always thought I had fine, thin hair. After my big chop, I have come to find that my hair is fine, but is very dense, giving me the appearance of thick hair. My hair type is 4a I guess? My curls are about pencil size. Right now my hair is growing out but I assume it will start to grown down at some point. I have about 50-75% shrinkage.

Your current regimen
Right now I am washing with a sufate free shampoo about three times a week. On wash nights, I use the Knot Today leave in and Kinky Curly Curling Custard to define my curls. In the mornings I refresh with water and Jane Carter Nourish & Shine.

Your favorite styles
I guess Wash & Gos, but I definitely plan on experimenting a little more with styles.

Your current length and goal length
At the longest layer my hair is neck length stretched. My goal length is APL.

Your photo album, if any
My Blog

pookaloo83

I currently have anywhere between 4-7 inches of hair, my goal is WL stretched. I'm short with a short torso (13.5" from sl to wl) so given no setbacks, it shouldn't take me too long.

My curl diameter ranges from a thick marker to a pen spring. In the front I have more of a wave vs. curl pattern. My hair is extremely frizzy and I haven't quite figured out how to minimize the frizz esp. in the front.

I LOOOVE suave coconut as my leave in. I haven't incorporated any oils into my regimen at this time nor do I have a strict regimen at this time. I think I may install some crochet braids for a couple months.

One thing that I've noticed since going natural is that my hair doesn't shed!!! While relaxed I could run my fingers through my hair and have a several strands come out at any given time...but I now have severe HIH syndrome and I can honestly say not once have I had a hair to come out. Also I use a paddle brush to detangle in the shower and I have NOT cleaned it out since going natural because there is hardly any hair in it. At first I thought it may have gone down the drain...but that wasn't it because as a relaxed head i had to keep drano on hand for all the hair going down the drain, it's not getting caught in my crack either :look: I don't know why my hair isn't shedding...but I'm not complaining!!!

You're really pretty!

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
my hurr is krute today. i'm really likin how my refreshed wash'n'go looks. its better than the original wash'n'go! so funky and cool. i wish i could find more ways to make my hair look bigger and chunkier and wilder. ♥

skegeesmb

• When you BCd
I cut my relaxed hair off 4/8/2010

• How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd
I was almost 10 months post-relaxer

• Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristics (strand size, density, curl diameter, amount of shrinkage, growth pattern-up/down, etc.) - a detailed description can help in evaluating product and regimen's possible effectiveness
My hair type is a combination of 3-4 I believe. My hair has about 30% shrinkage. It's frizzy curly without any type of leave in, and it is spongy. My growth patter grows out and down as it gets longer (I was natural in 2002). My curl diameter is corkscrew curly in the back. They are fat curls when wet, but they will shink to the size of a AAA battery when fully dry.

• Your current regimen
Wash with a no sulfate shampoo, if I wear my hair curly I will use a leave in conditioner and use the knock off curls goddess curls on my hair and go. If I wear it straight I will blow dry, use a heat protector product and curl with a flat iron.

• Your favorite styles
Hmm I don't really have any favorites right now because I can't flat twist, and I don't like the look of braid outs on my hair. But I like a wash and go, and wearing it curled when its straight.

• Your current length and goal length
My current length is about 5-6 inches of natural hair all over (I have layers due to the way I cut my hair. My goal length is long :lachen:. Not exactly sure how long I want it exactly. Probably brastrap or mbl curly if I can hold out that long.

• Your photo album, if any
I haven't posted pictures in a long time because I hate taking self shots.

www.fotki.com/skegeesmb

Ijanei

I cant wait to say I'm all natural with my hair =) but until that BC I will show support to you ladies who did it

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Hi guys! I'm still chugging along. I'm doing mostly wash and go puffs but sometimes I'll throw out a twistout puff to mix it up.
I tried a new product last week (carol's daughter loc butter) for my twistout last week, to try and get a more defined twistout. Of course that was the one night I slept without tying my hair up at night and I had an allergic reaction to one of the ingredients in the loc butter (I think the soybean oil). My face broke out in hives. It was terrible. I'm still working on getting my face back to normal lol. PS if anybody wants it I have 2 jars to trade. It gave a nice twistout, it's just I think I'm allergic to the soybean oil in it
In other news I haven't used heat in my hair since the BC and I don't see myself using heat anytime soon. I also am trying not to do length checks all that often. I may do one at 18 months post but I will try not to do my next one until I'm 2 years post

Last edited:

LoveCraze

Naturalista
Hi guys! I'm still chugging along. I'm doing mostly wash and go puffs but sometimes I'll throw out a twistout puff to mix it up.
I tried a new product last week (carol's daughter loc butter) for my twistout last week, to try and get a more defined twistout. Of course that was the one night I slept without tying my hair up at night and I had an allergic reaction to one of the ingredients in the loc butter (I think the soybean oil). My face broke out in hives. It was terrible. I'm still working on getting my face back to normal lol. PS if anybody wants it I have 2 jars to trade. It gave a nice twistout, it's just I think I'm allergic to the soybean oil in it
In other news I haven't used heat in my hair since the BC and I don't see myself using heat anytime soon. I also am trying not to do length checks all that often. I may do one at 18 months post but I will try not to do my next one until I'm 2 years post

Hey foxglove, what are you willing to trade for that loc butter?

cch24

Today as I was pulling my hair up for my bun I liked how my hair looked in a half up style. I may try that when I'm done with school.

For the ladies that do wash and go's, what is your technique? I'm not opposed to using gel, but I kind of want to wait for my hair to get longer so that I can just use a Suave conditioner and some olive oil over it. I think that would give me nicely defined and soft hair without the drying agents of gels.

So I guess my second question is for those that do use gel... is it drying? What type are you using? Is there a difference between your wash and go's with or without the gel?

Thanks ladies! I'm loving this new thread.

CoutureMe06

Checking in...
I'm not new to being natural but I just recently did a final big chop:

BC date: I actually don't remember. Had to be sometime in December 2009

Hair type: Idk. I think I am a 3c/4a/4b. My hair hates protein. My hair is fine with an evident curl pattern. I have a lot of frizz. I wore individual braids for 2 months and that dried out my hair. Working on getting my moisture level back.

Before that, I did the 2 minute reconstructor and my hair was straw dry. Before I did the treatment, my hair was getting good and I had no problems with frizz. I know that I will not do protein at all.

Current products: Aussie Moist Conditioner/3 minute deep conditioner, coconut oil, s curl, queen helene cholestorol, Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle rose,

Current regimen: I don't have a set regimen, I listen to my hair. I wash and deep condition once a week. I put 16 plaits and moisturize with s curl, seal with coconut oil. That sums it up.

Styles: My hair is braided up and I wear hats.

Length: I haven't measured my hair but I believe it is 3-4 inches unstretched. I have major shrinkage.

Goal length (short term): 5 inches

Goal length (long term): APL shrunken; BSL Length Stretched

CoutureMe06

Does anyone have problems with frizz? My hair is so frizzy that my curl pattern barely shows. Any suggestions?

Idk if henna would solve this but I don't want the permanent effect of not being able to dye your hair.

I think I may BKT. I think this will solve it. Any suggestions??? Thanks!

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Today as I was pulling my hair up for my bun I liked how my hair looked in a half up style. I may try that when I'm done with school.

For the ladies that do wash and go's, what is your technique? I'm not opposed to using gel, but I kind of want to wait for my hair to get longer so that I can just use a Suave conditioner and some olive oil over it. I think that would give me nicely defined and soft hair without the drying agents of gels.

So I guess my second question is for those that do use gel... is it drying? What type are you using? Is there a difference between your wash and go's with or without the gel?

Thanks ladies! I'm loving this new thread.

Wash and go: I cowash then immediately after I get out of the shower I do that hair turban type thing with my towel and let my hair dry like that for a couple of minutes. Then I put in my leave in and my oil to seal. Then I use gel only for my edges and tie the edges with a scarf. I use a pick to lift up my roots a little

If you're using gel all over your hair you could mix it with oil to reduce the crunchiness factor. I saw a couple of tutorials on youtube where some people made an ecostyler "curling custard" to give the hold of gel minus the crunch. I never tried it but here is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmBn8qFlcTw

fluffylocks

Here are some recent pics, I'm still clipping off stray relaxed ends :lol:

Unmanipulated WashnGo Puff

yay! *gets comfy* i like the transitioner thread, and posted for a while afte the bc, but i don't feel i fit there anymore. especially when someone told me not to tempt people to bc, which i definitely was not doing. :sad: anyway

i did the bc on Feb 10, 2010 (i think lol)

um, as far as hair type goes, i'm 4a with some strange c and o patterns. my hair shrinks to pen spring sized coils to pen sized coils. its very clumpy. i used to think my hair was thick, but as i'm getting to know it, i believe that i just have a lot of hair. i'm unsure if my strands are really thick.

right now, i'm shampooing, dcing, and twisting on sundays, then i cowash on thursday and will try some sort of 'out' style.

my favorite styles right now are twistout puffs, and my twists even though they are crappy. i'll get it! practice makes perfect. :yep:

i have hair that is shoulder length, and some that is between ear and shoulder. i promise i won't play with the scissors anymore. oh and my goal length is apl. ♥

*Sigh*
I loooooooooove yalls two ponytails. :love:

Andromeda- What products do you use to shampoo, conditon, and leavins/moisturizers/oils when you do washn gos, what was that that was holding the ponytail up? A regular ponytail holder?

And Vain Jane does your ponytail curls come from a twistout? What products do you use for your twistouts, and to moiturisze, oil--shampoo, conditon, and cowash...:)nono:)

I Bc'd 4/21/2010 I think (wrote it down somewhere)

Was about 4 months post relaxer

I cant tell my hairs characteristis yet, but I think the strand size is thick, and the density is smedium- dont know curl, shrinkage or growth pattern

Current regimen im thinking about is shampooing (CON), deepconditoning (ORS or Aphogee 2 min), and a hot oil treatment 1-3x weekly, and moisturize daily with carefree gold.

About to get some braids I think and do the crown and glory for alitte while or up to a year

andromeda

How I did my wash-n-go puff

*Sigh*
I loooooooooove yalls two ponytails. :love:

Andromeda- What products do you use to shampoo, conditon, and leavins/moisturizers/oils when you do washn gos, what was that that was holding the ponytail up? A regular ponytail holder?

And Vain Jane does your ponytail curls come from a twistout? What products do you use for your twistouts, and to moiturisze, oil--shampoo, conditon, and cowash...:)nono:)

I Bc'd 4/21/2010 I think (wrote it down somewhere)

Was about 4 months post relaxer

I cant tell my hairs characteristis yet, but I think the strand size is thick, and the density is smedium- dont know curl, shrinkage or growth pattern

Current regimen im thinking about is shampooing (CON), deepconditoning (ORS or Aphogee 2 min), and a hot oil treatment 1-3x weekly, and moisturize daily with carefree gold.

About to get some braids I think and do the crown and glory for alitte while or up to a year

This was a true wash n go. I was actually ready to go out wearing the manipulated, gel-laden wash n go from a couple of days earlier but it was so dry that I just decided to give my hair a quick wash, even though I was all dressed and errthang. :lol: I leaned over the sink :giggle: and used v05 tea therapy blackberry and sage to quickly wash and detangle. I wrung my hair out and gathered it into a puff using an old, thin, stretched-out elastic. Those tendrils on the side were being uncooperative, so I said "ah, what the heck!" and left them out. I slid on my headband, wiped off the excess water that was streaming down my face and onto my shirt and left to go about my business. No leave-in or styling product, just the v05 condish. It felt so good to be able to truly wash n go and there was a nice breeze that day, so my freshly co-washed hair was the only perfume I needed. :)

HTH!

Last edited:

andromeda

Welcome Lovelies!

Welcome, evallusion, ready-4-change, ltown, digital rain, anew, filthyfresh, preciouslovely, sumertyme08, txcurly08, skegeesmb, coutureme06, and flufflylocks! :welcome:

Had hair day today!! Now I'm reminded of why I spend 7 minutes on my hair 6 days a week. I'm lazy! Ended up taking a nap under my dryer with my deep conditioner mix on because I was too tired to rinse it out. Spent some time cutting a few more straight ends. Every time I think I've got them all more appear. Sooo annoying.

I don't plan on straightening until December but I'm really nervous that my straight hair will look crazy with all of my natural layers...
lol@ falling asleep under the dryer. I remember that being the highlight of going to the salon. :lachen: I would get some good, drool-producing, wide open mouth-inducing naps under those dryers!

I'm with you on the straight ends. I feel like I'm in my own version of Alice in Wonderland. Like the ends are sentient shape-shifters that are laughing at my expense. :(

Not much to report here. I'm rockin my shrunken fro. Its a bit longer now. 1 and 3/4 to 2 inches long. Go me, Woot Woot! 3 inches by this time in July would be great. I'm still loving my Healthy Hair Butter from Carol's Daughter. That in conjunction with my Pink SassaFrazz Spray makes my hair feel super happy. Also, I've never Deep Conditioned my hair...perhaps that should go on the "to do" list.
I think DCing should definitely go on your "to do" list. I like your approach of listening to your hair and I take much the same approach myself of not doing things simply for the sake of doing it or because it's a certain day. However, there's something to be said for regularly imparting moisture in the penetrating, long-lasting manner that a DC does.

I feel you on the HIH. I gotta get back up under this wig right quick! :lachen: *Looks over shoulder and sees the normally lifeless eyes of the styrofoam wig head glaring at me*

Last edited:

andromeda

How do you plan to track length?

Sorry you had that reaction. :nono:

The bolded reminded me of a question I had: How do you guys plan on doing length checks?

I can over-think things but this is one area where I want to be consistent and precise. I guess I'll do a dry stretched length check once a month. And a straightened one however often I straighten - every season or less often. I also think I'll take southerntease's approach and tie measuring tape around my neck to be even more accurate and make it easier to track.

Last edited:

cch24

The bolded reminded me of a question I had: How do you guys plan on doing length checks?

I think I'll just pull a section of my dry hair after it's been stretched in a bun. This will hopefully give me a nice surprise when I do decide to straighten as it seems impossible to actually pull my hair completely straight.

How do you all plan on straightening? I'm hoping a rollerset and wrapped overnight will do the trick, but if not I will rollerset and then flat iron (although my skills are less than desirable).

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Sorry you had that reaction. :nono:

I can over-think things but this is one area where I want to be consistent and precise. I guess I'll do a dry stretched length check once a month. And a straightened one however often I straighten - every season or less often. I also think I'll take southerntease's approach and tie measuring tape around my neck to be even more accurate and make it easier to track.

When I BC'ed I stretched out a portion of my hair at the nape, by my ear, and in the front to check the length. I'll use those parts for length checks

LoveCraze

Naturalista
Do you have any Trader Joes or Oyin?
Unfortunately here in Texas, I have not seen any Trader's Joes. I would love to try it myself. And the Oyin I have I can not part with. I love them. You may be able to get what you want on the product swap thread here on LHCF though. Or perhaps one of the other sister's here may have what you want. **sighs I guess I don't really need any more products right now anyway.:sad:

I haven't really done a length check yet. I'll get on it tonight when I wash (cowash) my hair. I'll just pull my hair down from a dry state I guess. That's how I normally see people do their length checks.

Also I wanted to share my super cute puff that I did yesterday. Can't really do much else with my hair right now. I guess it's still too soon cause my twist outs are not defined and my hair goes back into it's fro-ey state. I mean it's still cute, but it wasn't what I was going for. I probably need to use a product with more hold to get the definition I want and leave the twists in longer. I'll be working on it. Anyway, here's the pic.

I loved this look so much I was jumping up and down in excitement.:grin: