~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

txcurly10

I loved this look so much I was jumping up and down in excitement.:grin:

That is really cute on you!

I went to a party last night and it was the first time most of my friends had seen me since my BC. Everyone absolutely loved it!

Attachments

• IMG_0312.jpg
    IMG_0312.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 153

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
*Sigh*
I loooooooooove yalls two ponytails. :love:

And Vain Jane does your ponytail curls come from a twistout? What products do you use for your twistouts, and to moiturisze, oil--shampoo, conditon, and cowash...:)nono:)

yes i did that puff on a failed twistout. i spritzed the pony puff part with some water so it would revert.

on that twistout, i think i had used amla and olive heavy cream by qhemet. now to moisturize i am using BRBC and HE LTR leave-in, washing with HE Tousle Me Softly Shampoo, and to dc, Giovanni SAS. cowashing i use anything: Suave, HE, Giovanni. ♥

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
My parents haven't seen me since I BC'ed. I finally got around to emailing them pics. I don't care what anybody thinks but my mom is a little outspoken and a little extra so in case she doesn't like it I want her to have her initial reaction when I'm not there then hopefully by the time I get home she will have calmed down a little lol

cch24

My parents haven't seen me since I BC'ed. I finally got around to emailing them pics. I don't care what anybody thinks but my mom is a little outspoken and a little extra so in case she doesn't like it I want her to have her initial reaction when I'm not there then hopefully by the time I get home she will have calmed down a little lol

I hope she loves your hair as much as we do Foxglove!

I think my hair is growing!! I can mostly tell by how my hair feels when I cowash, and how it feels in my hands as I put my hair in a bun. I'm excited!

How are you guys assessing your regimens? WHen do you decide that what you're doing works/ doesn't work?

I haven't changed my regimen from my transitioning regimen, and it seems to be going well. I've decided that in July if my stretched hair isn't approximately where I think it should be I'll re-evaluate.

DivaD04

tell us how it goes.

andromeda

For the ladies that do wash and go's, what is your technique? I'm not opposed to using gel, but I kind of want to wait for my hair to get longer so that I can just use a Suave conditioner and some olive oil over it. I think that would give me nicely defined and soft hair without the drying agents of gels.

So I guess my second question is for those that do use gel... is it drying? What type are you using? Is there a difference between your wash and go's with or without the gel?

Thanks ladies! I'm loving this new thread.
Well, I've only tried one loose wash-n-go as a impulsive experiment. I mixed ic fantasia with some v05 condish. It turned out okay. I don't think that's attributable to the gel necessarily, my hair just isn't conducive to wash-n-go's. It was sort of stiff and very dry the following days. I detailed my wash-n-go puff technique upthread and that one was nice and juicy.

I bought ecostyler gel (krystal/max hold) on friday and used it on a flat twist with bantu knotted ends, it wasn't too drying but then again, I undid my hair before the style had completely dried and "set". Sunday night I did twisted bantu knots using ecostyler gel and I have yet to undo them(surprisingly, they actually look nice as a style and they were suitable to wear outside casually) and my hair doesn't feel dry. I'll update tomorrow when I finally undo them.

I hope she loves your hair as much as we do Foxglove!
So do I. Parents, gotta love 'em.:look: I sent my mom pics last week and she liked it very much. We'll see how she reacts to it in person on Friday.
I think my hair is growing!! I can mostly tell by how my hair feels when I cowash, and how it feels in my hands as I put my hair in a bun. I'm excited!

How are you guys assessing your regimens? WHen do you decide that what you're doing works/ doesn't work?

I haven't changed my regimen from my transitioning regimen, and it seems to be going well. I've decided that in July if my stretched hair isn't approximately where I think it should be I'll re-evaluate.
This is a good question. I've been off my normal regimen but I've been documenting my products and results on a calendar. I decide what works or doesn't work by gauging how my hair feels and isolating products and ingredients. I'll have to update my answer later since the only constant in my regimen since BCing has been DCing weekly with my normal products.

cch24

I tried to make a puff. I cowashed, left some conditioner in, smoothed some eco styler gel (does anyone know if this is 'cone free?!) and made a ponytail. Once it dried, it was still a ponytail. I was so disappointed.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
cch24 I do some kind of modification of these
I looked up a bunch of puff videos on youtube and played around until I found something that worked for me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boJKh6LkzYM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zumwqm2s_Ek

One thing I do different is I don't brush my edges. I do the same thing the girl in the wash and go puff does as far as not brushing. I still get smooth edges just from smoothing the gel on with my hands. If it isn't as smooth as you'd like use some more water before adding the gel (like chicoro does)

http://public.fotki.com/Chicoro123/hair-care/tutorials/smooth-hairline/

Vintageglam

Hey ladies I am newly natural having BC'd last week on hols in Thailand.... !!!

Anyway just wanted to ask - do you ladies still do heavy protein treatments every 6 - 8 weeks or are you now going to forgo these now that you are natural?

TIA

x Stella

andromeda

I tried to make a puff. I cowashed, left some conditioner in, smoothed some eco styler gel (does anyone know if this is 'cone free?!) and made a ponytail. Once it dried, it was still a ponytail. I was so disappointed.

What do you mean "it was still a ponytail"? Like it was hanging instead of "standing up"? I'm looking at the ecostyler krystal ingredients right now. Here they are: Water, Carbomer,Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, PVP, Glycerin, Triethanonlamine, Sodium Hydryxmethyglycinate, Polysorbate 20, Tetrasodium EDTA, Fragrance, LOVE AND PRIDE :lol: I saw somewhere that hydrolyzed wheat protein is a non-soluble cone. I'll have to look into that further. None of the others appear to be cones.

cch24

cch24 I do some kind of modification of these
I looked up a bunch of puff videos on youtube and played around until I found something that worked for me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boJKh6LkzYM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zumwqm2s_Ek

One thing I do different is I don't brush my edges. I do the same thing the girl in the wash and go puff does as far as not brushing. I still get smooth edges just from smoothing the gel on with my hands. If it isn't as smooth as you'd like use some more water before adding the gel (like chicoro does)

http://public.fotki.com/Chicoro123/hair-care/tutorials/smooth-hairline/

Foxglove, thanks for being so helpful! Next time I'll try to make a bigger puff, and hopefully it won't droop. The whole time I was transitioning I wanted hair that hangs, and now I have it, and I want it to stand up! :spinning:

I don't brush my edges either. I'm scared too, because I work really hard to keep my edges full. I brushed them once, and my hair looked like i was reverse transitioning. My roots were pin straight, and my bun was textured. Never again.

cch24

What do you mean "it was still a ponytail"? Like it was hanging instead of "standing up"? I'm looking at the ecostyler krystal ingredients right now. Here they are: Water, Carbomer,Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, PVP, Glycerin, Triethanonlamine, Sodium Hydryxmethyglycinate, Polysorbate 20, Tetrasodium EDTA, Fragrance, LOVE AND PRIDE :lol: I saw somewhere that hydrolyzed wheat protein is a non-soluble cone. I'll have to look into that further. None of the others appear to be cones.

Andromeda! Yes! It was hanging and wasn't fluffy and standing up like everyone else's. I think I'll try using a stocking or something instead of a ponytail holder so that my puff's area is bigger.

Does that make sense?

And thanks for the ingredients help! I'm going to shampoo in the morning just in case. Being cone free has been awesome thus far, I don't want to mess it up.

andromeda

Andromeda! Yes! It was hanging and wasn't fluffy and standing up like everyone else's. I think I'll try using a stocking or something instead of a ponytail holder so that my puff's area is bigger.

Does that make sense?

And thanks for the ingredients help! I'm going to shampoo in the morning just in case. Being cone free has been awesome thus far, I don't want to mess it up.
This is one of the keys to a voluminous puff. That's why my puff came out best when I used a large, stretched out elastic.

I guess you'll have to tease and fluff it to make it stand up.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Ok guys I'm back with pics
I like the definition from the braidout... before separating

Buuuuut after separating I'm still not getting the results I like
*poof*

Soooo no surprise I put it up. I didn't gel the edges bc I'm not going anywhere
*poof*

I think I need to try flat twists or cornrows. I feel like those would give me better results with my current length. First I have to learn how to cornrow...

Last edited:

chebaby

ive been natural for 1 year and i love my hair. im not as new to natural has as some of you but i still consider myself new because im still learning.
i only trimmed my hair once since ive been natural and im thinking of trimming another inch in the next month or two.

my staple/cant live without products are karens body beautiful hair milk, hair cream, ll hair mask, shea butter, ojon revitalizing mist, ors mayo, and oyin honey hemp conditioner. my hair is really thriving with these products.

my hair is a very fine 3c but my hair is more fluffy than it is silky lmao.

i love this thread.

andromeda

Welcome chebaby!

ive been natural for 1 year and i love my hair. im not as new to natural has as some of you but i still consider myself new because im still learning.
i only trimmed my hair once since ive been natural and im thinking of trimming another inch in the next month or two.

my staple/cant live without products are karens body beautiful hair milk, hair cream, ll hair mask, shea butter, ojon revitalizing mist, ors mayo, and oyin honey hemp conditioner. my hair is really thriving with these products.

my hair is a very fine 3c but my hair is more fluffy than it is silky lmao.

i love this thread.

:wavey: Welcome! Glad to have you! :yep:

Your mention of ojon revitalizing mist and oyin honey hemp conditioner got me scratchin like a junkie. :lol: I tried ojon way before beginning my healthy hair journey, maybe 3 or 4 years ago. At that point, I was doing everything else wrong but I bought Ojon on a whim while watching QVC. I loved the product and the smell, but needless to say it isn't a cure all for bad hair practices. I've also heard good things about Oyin Honey Hemp and the name just sounds delectable.

pookaloo83

Ok guys I'm back with pics
I like the definition from the braidout... before separating

Buuuuut after separating I'm still not getting the results I like

Soooo no surprise I put it up. I didn't gel the edges bc I'm not going anywhere

I think I need to try flat twists or cornrows. I feel like those would give me better results with my current length. First I have to learn how to cornrow...

How are you making your puff? A stocking? or rubberband?