~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

andromeda

A place for those who've recently BCd to hang out, chat, rant, rave, ask questions, review products, discuss progress and setbacks, share pictures, and offer and receive support.

Feel free to link to threads you've started or threads that you think will be helpful to your fellow newly natural LHCFers.

A cool feature that might help to optimize this thread's resourcefulness is that you can change the title your of posts from the default (re: The Newly Natural Thread). This feature can make it easier to navigate and search the thread.

Also feel free to introduce yourself by telling us
  • When you BCd
  • How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd
  • Have you been natural before? When?
  • Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristics (strand size, density, curl diameter, amount of shrinkage, growth pattern-up/down, etc.) - a detailed description can help in evaluating product and regimen's possible effectiveness
  • Your current regimen
  • Your favorite styles
  • Your current length and goal length
  • Your photo album, if any

or jump right into the discussion! :)

Resources & Learning from Others' Experiences
Newbie's Manual: Links to Useful/Important Threads

Read this before you buy anything else!!!

Product Twins- lets list

The Complete Vitamin Guide

Are you newly natural & frustrated? Here are a few tips all in one place!

How Did You Create Your Hair Regimen?

LHCF 'SET BACK' PREVENTION 101

Retaining Length with natural hair- What your best method?

Who has went from Fine to Thick hair.....

Straightening Tips for Naturals...

Ask a long haired natural

"Naked" Hair Pics - find your texture twin!

Inspiration
NATURALS: post PICS of your SHRINKAGE!

PHOTO REQUEST: Naturals can I see your pics of...2 years worth of growth, please?

spinoff: naturals show one year of growth!!

Best Pics of Natural Hair/Heads (Includes our Members): A Thread of Encouragement!!

Styles
Natural Bun Pics

*NATURALS!* Post Pics of all Your Professional & Formal Styles!

Natural Short to Mid Length Hairstyles:photo Thread!

Hair Accessories Websites

Last edited:

andromeda

My Introduction

I BCd 4/4/2010

I have fine strands, low-medium density, very tightly coiled (small pen springs), sheeny (as opposed to shiny), 50-65+% shrinkage, and my hair grows up and out

I'm still working on my regimen. I'll add it to this post later.

I love flat twist outs with curled or bantu-knotted ends. I also love wearing cornrows under curly wigs.

My current length is about 6 inches all over. My goal length is mid back length.

My photo album is in my profile.

Last edited:

andromeda

Here are some recent pics, I'm still clipping off stray relaxed ends :lol:
Fro Right After BCing

Twists

Resulting Twist Out

Flat Twists With Bantu Knotted Ends-Out

Unmanipulated WashnGo Puff

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
yay! *gets comfy* i like the transitioner thread, and posted for a while afte the bc, but i don't feel i fit there anymore. especially when someone told me not to tempt people to bc, which i definitely was not doing. :sad: anyway

i did the bc on Feb 10, 2010 (i think lol)

um, as far as hair type goes, i'm 4a with some strange c and o patterns. my hair shrinks to pen spring sized coils to pen sized coils. its very clumpy. i used to think my hair was thick, but as i'm getting to know it, i believe that i just have a lot of hair. i'm unsure if my strands are really thick.

right now, i'm shampooing, dcing, and twisting on sundays, then i cowash on thursday and will try some sort of 'out' style.

my favorite styles right now are twistout puffs, and my twists even though they are crappy. i'll get it! practice makes perfect. :yep:

i have hair that is shoulder length, and some that is between ear and shoulder. i promise i won't play with the scissors anymore. oh and my goal length is apl. ♥

andromeda

Hey Gurl!!!

:wavey: hey vainjane!

yay! *gets comfy* i like the transitioner thread, and posted for a while afte the bc, but i don't feel i fit there anymore.
I feel you.
especially when someone told me not to tempt people to bc, which i definitely was not doing. :sad: anyway
:perplexed Well, you're welcome here!:yep:

i did the bc on Feb 10, 2010 (i think lol)

um, as far as hair type goes, i'm 4a with some strange c and o patterns. my hair shrinks to pen spring sized coils to pen sized coils. its very clumpy. i used to think my hair was thick, but as i'm getting to know it, i believe that i just have a lot of hair. i'm unsure if my strands are really thick.

right now, i'm shampooing, dcing, and twisting on sundays, then i cowash on thursday and will try some sort of 'out' style.

my favorite styles right now are twistout puffs, and my twists even though they are crappy. i'll get it! practice makes perfect. :yep:

i have hair that is shoulder length, and some that is between ear and shoulder. i promise i won't play with the scissors anymore. oh and my goal length is apl. ♥
I'm still working on my twists too! :lol: eta: I find that twirling the end of the finished twists in the opposite direction/around my fingers makes my twists look better.

Last edited:

cch24

thanks andromeda! i have a new home now. i'm subscribing for sure. also, that picture of your unmanipulated wash and go puff is gorgeous!! one day i'll try an out style... one day...

now to answer your questions:

I BC'd on March 22, 2010 and my last relaxer was on October 12, 2008. I think I would classify myself as a 3c, with medium to thick density, and my hair seems to be growing down at this point. I've never let it shrink into a wash and go because I know I wouldn't be happy with the way it hangs at this point, so I'm being patient. I'll try one around August I suppose.

I'm currently co-washing Saturday - Thursday with Tresemme Naturals or Suave Coconut, detangling with my seamless comb, towel drying, applying Knot Today and Mozeke Avocado Creme and bunning. At night I take my bun down, moisturize with shea butter, seal with my olive/castor oil mix, put my hair in 4 twists, and baggy. On Friday's I have my "hair day" in which I prepoo, cowash, dc, and then bun.

I guess you could say my favorite style right now is a bun. I've been wearing one since I decided to transition and it's just what I'm used to.

I don't plan on straightening until December, but when I pull the very back strands they are at APL but I don't feel comfortable claiming it yet because of my severe natural layers. My goal length is HL (hip length).

Happy to be here!

andromeda

Hey! :)

thanks andromeda! i have a new home now. i'm subscribing for sure. also, that picture of your unmanipulated wash and go puff is gorgeous!! one day i'll try an out style... one day...
Thanks so much! I really appreciate that. I can't believe I've been wearing so many out styles. :blush: Let alone just co-washing, throwing it in a puff and going. I'm supposed to be braided up under a wig but my hair is like "Mama Noooooooo!". I'll be going back to protective styling soon. :look:

now to answer your questions:

I BC'd on March 22, 2010 and my last relaxer was on October 12, 2008. I think I would classify myself as a 3c, with medium to thick density, and my hair seems to be growing down at this point. I've never let it shrink into a wash and go because I know I wouldn't be happy with the way it hangs at this point, so I'm being patient. I'll try one around August I suppose.

I'm currently co-washing Saturday - Thursday with Tresemme Naturals or Suave Coconut, detangling with my seamless comb, towel drying, applying Knot Today and Mozeke Avocado Creme and bunning. At night I take my bun down, moisturize with shea butter, seal with my olive/castor oil mix, put my hair in 4 twists, and baggy. On Friday's I have my "hair day" in which I prepoo, cowash, dc, and then bun.

I guess you could say my favorite style right now is a bun. I've been wearing one since I decided to transition and it's just what I'm used to.

I don't plan on straightening until December, but when I pull the very back strands they are at APL but I don't feel comfortable claiming it yet because of my severe natural layers. My goal length is HL (hip length).
Solid reggie. :yep: And that Mozeke Avocado Creme sounds divine. *resists urge to Google*

Happy to be here!
Happy to have you! :)

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
Checking in...

I'm not new to being natural but I just recently did a final big chop:

BC date: February 11, 2010

Hair type: 4B; thick and dense; severe shrinkage; little to no curl definition; hates protein!

Current products: Avocado Butter, CD's Healthy Hair Butter, Pink SazzAFrazz Spray, Aussie Moist Conditioner, Castor Oil, any shampoo

Current regimen: I don't have a set regimen, I just listen to my hair. If it feels gunky, I shampoo. If its parched, I moisturize or co poo. If it's dull, I put some oil in it. I am planning on beginning to do a deep condition/hot oil treatment once a week.

Styles: Shrunken or picked out fro with a headband

Length: 1.5 to 2 inches

Goal length (short term): 6 inches

Goal length (long term): APL shrunken; Waist Length Stretched

Photo album: www.fotki.com/naturalei

:nicethread:

Ready-4-Change

I BC'd on 4-18-2010. So far I have co-washed and I use S-Curl Spray and seal with coconut oil. Here are some pics of when I BC'd it's right after I cut, washed and conditioned.

Attachments

• tn_027.JPG
    tn_027.JPG
    9.5 KB · Views: 236
  • tn_033.JPG
    tn_033.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 212
  • tn_034.JPG
    tn_034.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 207

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
i'm shocked at myself. i've never been a big fan of braids, but i think i want to try them. :shocked: i have a few braids in my hair right now for a braid-out later in the week, and i like the way the look and feel. so next week i may try to put some smaller ones in and see how i like them.

i can't believe how my tastes are changing now that i am natural. ♥

cch24

Two questions!

How has your regimen changed since you've chopped?
Have you noticed that your curl pattern has become more defined since you've chopped?

Ltown

Greyland
When you BCd : I long term transtion finish 19 Jan 2010
Your hair type: 3b/c
Your current regimen: I wash, dc, steam on Sun, Tues/thur-co wash, I've change product since being natural and still testing natural products out.

Your favorite styles: I wear buns, I'm still style challenge with braid/twist out
Your current length and goal length: SL, goal length BSL
Your photo album, if any: I may have some picturea in LHCF album

DigitalRain

When you BCd - January 19, 2010

Your hair type/characteristics (strand size, density, curl diameter, amount of shrinkage, growth pattern-up/down)

I have coarse, thick strong strands, mainly 4b with random 4a patches. Its coily, with the coils tending to be larger at the crown, and smaller around the perimeter. I'd say my shrinkage is about 80%. My hair definitely grows out.

Your current regimen: wash, condition, leave in conditioner 3-4x a week. Im not loyal to just one brand. I use Afroveda Shea Amla Buttercream, Hairveda Whipped Cream and Almond glaze.

Your favorite styles: a TWA with the roots lifted with a pick to combat shrinkage for right now

Your current length and goal length: 3-4 inches. I want to grow as long as possible :lol:

Your photo album, if any: In my siggy.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
When you BCd
March 23, 2010 after a 15 month 3 week 2 day transition

Your hair type/characteristics (strand size, density, curl diameter, amount of shrinkage, growth pattern-up/down)
4b with lots of teeny coils and lots of shrinkage

Hair grows up and out

Your current regimen
So far I've been washing and DCing once weekly and cowashing once or twice weekly. Sometimes in the morning if I'm in a rush I'll just stick my head in the shower to get my hair wet and then get to styling
My products- Shampoo: Trader Joe nourish spa condish (SLS free) and Nexxus Aloe rid for clarifying
DC: Using up my stash. I need to find new ones
Wash out condish: Aussie moist, TJ Nourish spa condish, or Bed Head Moisture maniac
Leave in: TJ nourish spa, Bed head moisture maniac, or Karens Body Beautiful hair milk

Your favorite styles
So far I can only do a puff. Either wash and go or twistout puff

Your current length and goal length
I haven't straightened out my hair but the back is CBL. My goal length is APL but my dream length will be WL just to say I did it lol

Last edited:

Garner

Andromeda, this is a great thread!!! Although I am still transitioning, I have read of so many posts with questions as to "what to do once completely natural". Definitely a support group was necessary. Andromeda, I believe you did your BC or final chop to natural. What about VainJane, FoxGlove, Digital Rain and others? How did you prepare? Did you have help or did you complete this yourself? Notice any differences once all relaxed ends were off?

andromeda

Congrats to all the Newly Natural Ladies!!!
Thanks! Your hair is lovely! :lovedrool:
Two questions!

Have you noticed that your curl pattern has become more defined since you've chopped?
Well, right now, I've gone off the reservation with my regimen. I usually wear my hair cornrowed under wigs but for the past 2 weeks, I've been wearing my hair out, either in twists, puffs or twist outs. I've been cowashing/shampooing more often and I still DC once a week.

My coils are still slightly undefined.

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
Two questions!

since i've chopped, i definitely wash my hair more. i'm now washing at least 2 days a week, if not more when i feel i need it. my scalp feels so much better, just like it did the first time i was natural. when i was transitionin, i really didn't wash as often as i should've, because i just couldn't stand to deal with detangling my hair. it was just so hard and i ended up not washing regularly.

my curl pattern is definitely poppin now. when i was transitioning it was so rough and natty, mostly because i did not wash and moisturized that often. now my scalp is clean and healthy, and my hair gets all the moisture it needs, so its all good. ♥

cch24

Thanks ladies! A month has passed since my BC and I've noticed that my hair has gotten looser and has more of a wave pattern in the front, and a wave pattern with curls on the end in the back. I will definitely take pictures during my wash day on Friday to show you guys. I think that my hair is very moisturized (I've been on a no cone regimen for about 3 months) and doesn't curl as much.

teysmith

hey yall!! :)

I Big chopped on 03/20/2012. So far so good! I'm loving my natural hair even though its not much..lol. I just wore it out for the first time without hiding it under my lacewig a couple of days ago and I felt great.

Products that I use right now are: s-curl, curl free curl, sta so fro, softee curl activator, vatika, evoo, and my absolute favorite provectiv anti-dryness.. I love this stuff! Its
amazing

If anyone have a product or a technique that they would recommend to help elimate frizz I would appreciate it. :)

here are some pics of my hair..
The first one is the day of my BC and the other two are very recent pics of my hair.

Attachments

• Picture018-1.jpg
    Picture018-1.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 169
  • Picture 023.jpg
    Picture 023.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 170
  • Picture 025.jpg
    Picture 025.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

Anew

• When you BCd April 18, 2010
  • How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd 9 months
  • Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristics (strand size, density, curl diameter, amount of shrinkage, growth pattern-up/down, etc.) - a detailed description can help in evaluating product and regimen's possible effectiveness type 4 something, not up on density, curl diameter and all of that stuff
  • Your current regimen I'm currently in two strand twists with extensions
  • Your favorite styles lol, I'll know when I take these down
  • Your current length and goal length TWA, my stylist did the chop for me, washed my hair and combed it out. I have no idea what my hair looks like or anything. Goal length is MBL stretched
  • Your photo album, if any http://www.longhaircareforum.com/album.php?albumid=897

LoveCraze

Naturalista
Great thread Andromeda.
I'm subscribing now because I plan to be apart of the newly natural real soon. I made a post about it in the transitioners thread.

filthyfresh

I did the BC on 2-10-10. Two days after my birthday. I was 9 months post-relaxer when I did it.

My hair type is 4A/4B. I've got relatively thick strands. I've got maybe 50-70% shrinkage. It grows out & down. But it goes up when it dries. The coils are relatively intact but the ends get frizzy very easily. I'm prone to single strand knots.

I'm still fiddling around with my regimen which is why I'm suffering from dryness. I CW almost daily, depending on what my hair needs or how it looks. I don't cover my hair up when I sleep so I think that's what's messing my hair up. Although I do sleep on a satin pillowcase.

Right now all I can truly do is a TWA. I might be long enough for some two-strand twists but I'm just not that adventurous yet. My length is about a good 3-4 inches of hair. Some parts are chin length when stretched. In the back I'm almost SL. My goal is to be APL/BSL when stretched. I don't think I need any more than that.

I definitely need some help building a solid regimen & sticking to it. I think my hair has the potential to be really nice but I'll be honest & say I've been pretty lazy with it.

LoveCraze

Naturalista
  • I Big Chopped last night! YAY April 22, 2010
  • I was 13 mths post
  • I have thin strands with low density.
  • My regimen hasn't been set yet. I'm working on it though.
  • So far I can do a puff and pull it back. I'm ready to experiment.
  • How long is it? IDK. Not very long. Neck length in the back, Comes down the arch of my nose but not past it yet.
  • For pics, see siggie for fotki link. Plus I made a thread about it.
  • http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=463500
And I am so glad I did it! Thanks Andromeda for making this thread and for your encouraging reply to my concerns in the transitioning thread!