~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

Anew

Anew do you mind me asking if your twa was a blowout in the pic you shared?

Many thanks in advance for your response,
tishee

It was. I went to the salon to get it washed and cut, that was about 2 months after my BC. This was taken the same day, before the salon visit

GeorginaSparks

Is there a current and thread on what is popular to define curls with? im not natural yet but i might BC soon. If not, ill create a new one.

Nerd.

Today is my second day as a natural!! I Big Chopped at 12am yesterday morning on my b-day :grin:

I transitioned for 32 months (2 years, 8 months). As I snipped away the remaining relaxed ends, my hair started to reveal its true texture. My hair is mostly 4a, but my bangs are a 3b/3c. I was NOT expecting that:

When my hair is completely dry it all blends in and looks the same texture, so thats good. I have never cut my own hair before. It was such an exhilarating experience, one that I will never forget.

What a LONG journey, I am so happy to be on the natural side!!!! :grin:
I cannot stop smiling

Hairness

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking in this thread since before my BC. I'm going to officially join soon. In the meantime, I'd like to ask a question. This winter was particularly difficult for me. My hair was dry, dry, DRY! What had worked for me all year, did not work for me in the winter. It was a learning experience for sure and I'm still learning how to take consider, humectants and dew points.

The question:

How do you moisturize (and with what) without your hair feeling greasy? I spray my hair with water and seal with oils and sometimes shea butter (specifically: Jane Carter's Nourish & Shine) and just to touch my hair leaves a shiny residue on my hands. It gets on my phone and I've stained clothing.

My hair is soft and healthy but LAAAWWDD is it greasy! :sad:

Please help me to get the moisture without the greasy feeeling.

TIA

destine2grow

Hey ladies I am a newly natural. My one year anniversary is 6/19. My hair did not retain a lot of length. This was definitely a tough year.

I also didn't put in as much work as I should. I vow to change that. I have been doing the CG method for almost two weeks. I like it so far.

I have not really use PS but I am going to change that. The man problem for me is I can't keep my hands out of my hair.

How do you ladies handle the HIYH syndrom? Also are any of you ladies doing the CG method?

Darenia

destine2grow I cant claim to be CG, I use the basic principles for my W&Gs. After my wash I leave in my conditioner to define my curls and follow up w/ my oils to seal.

Hairness I haven't found a solution for oily hair, but it doesn't bother me. My hair soaks it up my the end of the day.

Oh and when y'all fine a cure for hand in hair let me know...

Hairness

@Hairness I haven't found a solution for oily hair, but it doesn't bother me. My hair soaks it up my the end of the day.

Darenia; Thanks for your response. I wish oil would be soaked up by my hair but its not and my hair stays oily. One time my "hairdresser" was trying to comb through my hair and she was complaining about the oil. She said I shouldn't use so much because it can clog my pores. She showed me how her hands that were covered with oil. When she was done with my hair, she showed me how to "properly" apply a small amount of oil and a small amount of butter. The next day I woke up and my hair was as dry a dying weeds!

I feel my hair is moisturized now but I could surely do without the oil residue. It gets on everything. Sigh..... :ohwell:

Hairness

I'm using Almond oil and Olive Oil (and some Jojoba oil). I added the olive oil over the winter because my hair was so dry. I think I will remix without it. I recently added a tablespoon of glycerin oil since the dew points have come up some.

What oils do you use? What's your hair type? I'm pretty sure I'm a 4b with medium to fine strands. tia

Darenia

Ah ha! EVOO that will do it. I only use EVOO when I DC, it is too oily for regular styling. For my daily styling I only use coconut oil or grapeseed. They are inexpensive and I can just get them at the grocery store. I would like to try jojoba oil one day.

I honestly don't know my hair type and I have recently decided not to worry about it. That whole system has too much inaccuracy and drama surrounding it.

ETA: I'm actually affraid to even think what I am cause folks get a lil scary on here.

Last edited:

diadall

Not newly natural but...

I just wet my hair and applied conditioner. The ends are curly but the roots and base looks like cotton.

What da heck going on? What can I do get the roots like the rest?

Dont most people have the opposite problem?

destine2grow

diadall said:
Not newly natural but...

I just wet my hair and applied conditioner. The ends are curly but the roots and base looks like cotton.

What da heck going on? What can I do get the roots like the rest?

Dont most people have the opposite problem?

I have the same problem in the front of my hair. I aslo notice that part is the frizziest.

Hairness

Ah ha! EVOO that will do it. I only use EVOO when I DC, it is too oily for regular styling. For my daily styling I only use coconut oil or grapeseed. They are inexpensive and I can just get them at the grocery store. I would like to try jojoba oil one day.

I honestly don't know my hair type and I have recently decided not to worry about it. That whole system has too much inaccuracy and drama surrounding it.

ETA: I'm actually affraid to even think what I am cause folks get a lil scary on here.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for you answer. I got rid of the EVOO and my hair is moisturized and not greasy! Yeah! I just used Almond Oil, Aloe Vera Juice and some Glycerin. My hair is soft, moisturized and not greasy! (Also I DC'd with heat which I never do and I think that helped too).

I'll keep this up...until the weather changes...

I'm still kind of new on these boards and I don't post much. I'm content to lurk and learn. I think I missed the scary hair-typing threads. I only asked because something that's really light and works great on a 2a head my not work on my 4b head and vice versa. That's all. A lot of people recommend products here but if their hair is completely different from my hair, then I would have to consider that as to whether I should buy that product or not.

I was on a curly hairboard recently (can't remember which one) and everyone had their hair type and regimen right under their name. I found that helpful.

Lastly, I know that even if someone has the exact same hair type as mine, a product still might not have the same effect, ectera, ectera....

HHJ!

Last edited:

ecadnacmc

Darenia
Lol! I feel the same way about the hair typing thing. I just picked 4a so that I wouldn't be stoned. My observations are that if u try to claim anything else other than 4a/4b u will be immediately attacked.

gvin89

Today is my nappaversary! Last year on this day, I visited a natural stylist for a consultation and a rod set on my then 14-month post transitioning hair only to make the brave decision to let go of my apl relaxed hair. I was left with about 3 inches of hair and a little shell shock. However, it ended up being a wonderful beginning to a new me! I'm glad I made the decision to BC and I absolutely LOVE my natural hair! It wasn't easy and I hit a few roadblocks, had a few major setbacks. Even still - I have NO regrets! Discovered I was SL in January and hope to be APL by the end of the year...next I have to get over being style-challenged.

growingbrown

gvin89 said:
Today is my nappaversary! Last year on this day, I visited a natural stylist for a consultation and a rod set on my then 14-month post transitioning hair only to make the brave decision to let go of my apl relaxed hair. I was left with about 3 inches of hair and a little shell shock. However, it ended up being a wonderful beginning to a new me! I'm glad I made the decision to BC and I absolutely LOVE my natural hair! It wasn't easy and I hit a few roadblocks, had a few major setbacks. Even still - I have NO regrets! Discovered I was SL in January and hope to be APL by the end of the year...next I have to get over being style-challenged.

Today makes 1 year since i big chop as well! Congrats. This has been a wonderful HHJ!

mrsjohnson75

Hi Ladies,

I'm just checking to see how everybody is doing. My hair is awesome :lachen: and I love it more and more each day :grin:. Its getting bigger and I have my technique down...FINALLY! I'm also getting some hang time :lol:.

I'll be 3 years post relaxer in June so I guess I won't qualify to post here in the newly natural thread. However I will be around and I'll keep my fotki updated. :yep:

Here's a couple of pics of my hair now. I have more pics of my hair from this month in my fotki Ablum Month 20 (34 months post relaxer).

Take Care!:heart2:

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 67
  • photo2.jpeg
    photo2.jpeg
    141.8 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Hairness

Congrats @Hairness! I am right behind you.

Thanks TruMe!!! What are your plans?! I flat-ironed my hair and gave myself a little trim. Since it was a rainy week, it was a frizzy mess in no time.

I've learned a lot in this 1 year and I feel like I have a lot more to learn. Things my hair liked, it doesn't like anymore or at least it's no longer working. I've come to the conclusion that glycerin is just too difficult for me to use right now. If the dew points or too low, it drys out my hair so that it feels like straw....if it's too high, your hair swells up to epic proportions! Sometimes the dew points swing high and low from one day to the next! I'm getting off the glycerin roller coaster. I will re-visit when the dew points stabalize. I'm tired of being a frizzy mess.

HHG!

TruMe

Hairness - Nothing special, I love my curly hair so there really isn't anything different I will do. I would like to flat iron my hair one time for Thanksgiving but feel I may chicken out by then, lol. I would really like to be able to find those staple ingredients that my hair likes and be able to stick with those. I have no idea. I just use what is working at the time but don't have anything recorded that I can easily tell someone what works for my hair and when.