~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

Julessy

((Saying Hey to all the newly natural ladies in here:grin:))

• When you BCd
April 30, 2012
  • How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd
Close to 11 months post relaxer
  • Have you been natural before? Yes...a long time ago as a young girl. I believe I got my first relaxer when I was in middle school. When? I was about twelve years-old
  • Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristics (strand size, density, curl diameter, amount of shrinkage, growth pattern-up/down, etc.) - a detailed description can help in evaluating product and regimen's possible effectiveness
My hair type is 4A in the front, crown, and sides, and maybe 4B in the back. The curls are much tighter and coiler in the back of my head than the front. When hair is wet, I have about 30-40% shrinkage and when fully dried, I have about 70% shrinkage.
  • Your current regimen
Shampoo 1-2X a month
Cowash every 5 days or once a week
Deep condition weekly
Moisturize (with either product or just spritz bottle) when needed...seal in moisture with coconut oil
Clarify 1X a month
Protein treatment 1X a month
Trim when needed
Protective styles 80% of the time
Scalp massages daily
Castor oil application to edges 2X a week
Detangle with a tool only on wash/cowash day
  • Your favorite styles
Any kind of protective style that I can do with my current length of hair. I love flat twist updo styles (currently rocking this as we speak) and mini twists. My hair is ear length so there isn't much I can do as far as styles. Other styles I like are twist outs and bantu knot outs.

• Your current length and goal length
My hair is about ear length in the front and sides and close to neck length in the back. I would love to be waist length one day...I have a long way to go:ohwell:
  • Your photo album, if any
Pics are attached

Attachments

• bc2.jpg
    bc2.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 77
  • bc3.jpg
    bc3.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Side Part FLat Twist.jpg
    Side Part FLat Twist.jpg
    507.7 KB · Views: 97
  • w2-5.jpg
    w2-5.jpg
    404.1 KB · Views: 124
  • w2-12.jpg
    w2-12.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 84

nomadpixi

So sorry my pic didn't show up. Here is my necklace headband I was talking about. My hair is much longer now, but this is one of those things I stumbled upon early in my journey that helped me stop feeling like a boy/plucked chicken.

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 76

Hairness

When you BCd
5/7/11

How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd
9 months

Have you been natural before? When?
Yes. I grew up natural. I got my first perm at approx. 20 yo. I was natural again for 4 years around 1998 or so. I kept my hair in a twa.

Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristics (strand size, density, curl diameter, amount of shrinkage, growth pattern-up/down, etc.) - a detailed description can help in evaluating product and regimen's possible effectiveness
I'm 4b. My hair is medium to fine and it looks thick because it's dense. I have all sort curls on my head. I have tiny coffee stirrer curls, looser near dime-sized curls and some sections with seemingly no curls at all. When I do my hair, I can feel my hair going from one texture to another. Freshly washed and unstyled, it looks like an afro.

I have lots of shrinkage, maybe 75%.

Right now, my hair grows out. I don't know how long it will have to be grow to "hang" down....if that will ever happen.

Your current regimen
I shampoo with Shea Moisture Raw Shea butter Moisture Retention Shampoo (diluted). I clarify approx. once a month with Joico K-Pak Clarify Chelating Shampoo (diluted). Once or twice a month I use Replenishing Conditioner for protein.

I conditioned every week with Joico K-Pak Moisture Intense Hydrator. I added olive oil and aloe vera juice. I used this for over a year.

I just started conditioning with Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque (one week). So far, I like this better. Also, I can buy it on the ground and it’s less expensive.

My leave in is KCKT in Kimmaytube’s formula.

I use my own oil mixes and Jane Carter’s Nourish and Shine.

I used JBCO + lavender E.O + sage + peppermint on my edges for over a year. Now I use a growth butter by Tiiva. I use the JBCO mix on my crown, not sure if I will continue.

That’s all I can think of right now.

Your favorite styles
I moisturize and twist my hair at night. I style it in a protective style everyday for work using my hands and fingers. I only comb my hair once a week on shampoo day. I love twist outs but rarely wear them. Often on the weekend I make smaller twists and wear them in an updo.
Your current length and goal length
Some of it is collar bone length, neck length or cheekbone length. My bangs go to my lips.

Your photo album, if any
No album. I have yet to figure out how to post photos on this forum. I’ll figure it out eventually

I’ve been luking on this thread since before my BC. I’m glad to officially join!!![/ :yep:

Hairness

Yesterday I shampooed and conditioned my hair. I used Kinky Curly Knot Today alone as my leave in without the Kimmaytube oils added. Today, my hair looks awful! It's not moisturized and feels "rough" to the touch. It looks like I let my hair dry with no product on it! Also, when I was using the KCKT, it had no slip....thank goodness I detangled before washing.

What kind of leave in is everyone using that slip and moisturized your hair?

Tia

Last edited:

MummysGirl

Hope you're all good. My hair's in extensions right now (till mid october). I'll install one more time (early november) then back to my hair in 2013 :)

I'm now on youtube (www.youtube.com/HealthyDury), come say hi ... and subscribe ;)

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Bumping for more activity from new newly naturals like me.

Where ya at? Check in so that we can compare notes as we go thru this together.

CHI10

• When you BCd
6 months post relaxer (jan 2011)

• How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd
see above

• Have you been natural before? When?
yes...at the age of 1o and younger lol

• Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristics (strand size, density, curl diameter, amount of shrinkage, growth pattern-up/down, etc.) - a detailed description can help in evaluating product and regimen's possible effectiveness
type 4

• Your current regimen
i don't have much of one.. i try to wash and DC once a week

• Your favorite styles
puffs and buns

• Your current length and goal length
last i checked...APL

• Your photo album, if any

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
Wow, I can't believe how fast time has flown! I just wanted to say thank you to all the ladies in the thread for sharing your style ideas, regimens, struggles, and triumphs with us. I'm so glad to be a graduate of this thread!

GeorginaSparks

When you BCd: 09/16/2012
How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd: im not sure but i think 7 mths post
Have you been natural before? Yep When? Till i was 15 and then 20-21
Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristics
-strand size: fine
-density: thin
-curl diameter: tight curls,
-amount of shrinkage: idk
-growth pattern-up/down: up
Your current regimen: washing a few times a week. just took out a weave i installed immediately after BCing so im experimenting right now.
Your favorite styles: dont have one..
Your current length and goal length: waistlength ultimately
Your photo album: my fotki hasnt been updated in a while

indarican

Having a bad week... just took my twists out and my hair has not grown at all it seems... My hair has been in constant PS styles for the past year and I am no where near APL... I did get a slight trim that put me to CB length about 4 months ago. ugh just want to give up.
I mean for being past 2 years post relaxer i really wanted to be past this stage.

Last edited:

Hairness

My hair didn't take forever to detangle today. I used a new deep conditioner, Jessicurl Deep Treatment instead of She Moisture Deep Mask or something like that. It has no slip whatsoever. The Jessicurl made combing my hair much easier. I think I used about 1/2 of the 8 oz bottle...ok, I exaggrate.... So this made things go faster! I'm grateful for that! (I just wish the price was better.)