The Official Highlights Thread!!!

SoOoNY

About 2 weeks ago I got highlights... I did research on here bout came up very short. Many ladies on the forum are very afraid of color itself... so who would dare get the dreaded highlights! Luckily for me I self highlighted before with some success (except the fact that I re-highlighted myself and over lapped...OOps!:blush: It was pre-lhcf) so I went and got them highlighted professionally this time... Yay me.

Now the point of this thread... many ladies on here may want to start highlighting with summer comming and queen_t inspiring us with those GORGEOUS highlights she has (sorry queen_t, I had to shout out my fellow capricorn/ mixed west indian). So please leave your tips and suggestions, even if you dont have them anymore. If you came across any issues and had a resolution post them here as well please. Also please feel free to ask questions. Hopefully this can become a reference to ladies who want to venture into the No Mans Land of highlighting...

Here is my 2 cents:
-My hair loves protein... I did a hard protein (aphogee 2 step ) the wash before (about a week) and the wash after (about a 4 days)
-This time I incorporated Gralic to stop shedding. I am using Alter Ego Impac Ego and I love it
-Try adding a clear rinse to you DC. Keeps hair from looking dull and helps to seal cuticles (I believe... but my hair does love a good clear rinse regardless)
-One issue I had this time around was a brassy orange color instead of blonde (prob from using the Bigen in medium chestnut brown). I bought some Shimmer Lights Shampoo and it toned right down. I still have a slight orangey color but it is no longer brassy and its now on the blonde side. See my fotki in the winter 09 album.. They also make Shimmer Lights for Red Heads as well for all you ladies going to color red this summer
-Holla @ some Porosity Control

HHG Ladies!

Last edited:

chebaby

well this is right on time because after seeing queen t's thread i called my stylist and made an appointment on friday to get highlights done. i've had them plenty of times before, but that was before i knew anything about taking care of hair. i woulld just go to her 2x a month to get it washed (maybe a quickie conditioner. i never even new about deep conditioning) blowdried, pressed and curled. back then all i did was apply african pride oil to my hair daily and kept it moving, and my hair stayed on my head.
so now that i know how to take care of my hair im sure it'll stay healthy. im going to have her deep condition me with ors replenishing pack so that my hair will get moisture and protein.
a week later i will pre poo, clarify, light protein with joico, and then deep condition with heat. im sure my hair will be fine.

sky_blu

Yeah I started a thread when I was thinking about getting highlights and came up short. I ended up getting the highlights but I was neglectful of my hair and of course it started breaking. Its just now recovering.

buddhas_mom

I plan on getting highlights in two weeks. My stylist said my hair isn't damaged so it shouldn't be a problem. What should I do to prepare my hair for them?

Cleve_gryl

I just got new highlights too! I had a hard time at the salon, my color wouldn't lift because I had layers of semi permanent rinse on my hair :ohwell: My stylist didn't want to damage my hair since its in good condition, so I didn't quite get the color I wanted. She gave me a second appointment for the end of March, to try to go a bit lighter (free of charge).

I'll be upping my protein usage and DCing like a crazy woman to keep my hair healthy and break free :yep:

robot.

I plan to get highlights this month! :grin:

Can I relax same day? I know this is a common question... but I can't remember the answer for the life of me. :look:

Cleve_gryl

I plan to get highlights this month! :grin:

Can I relax same day? I know this is a common question... but I can't remember the answer for the life of me. :look:
OMG NOOOO!!!! :eek:

You have to wait a good 2 weeks before or after a relaxer...highlights BLEACH the strands, you'd burn your hair off!!

Butterfly08

Bumping, I'll reply when I have time. I've had highlights for over 2 years and my mission is to grow MBL hair even though I'm double processed. :look: I went from above APL to now BSL, all with bleached hair, and.it's.healthy. It's possible ladies. :yep:

robot.

You have to wait a good 2 weeks before or after a relaxer...highlights BLEACH the strands, you'd burn your hair off!!

I thought bleaching was a process to lift color before you add color.
What if I don't need to bleach?

Southernbella.

I guess you can call what I did highlights. :lachen: I kind of striped the color on there, and it's really subtle, but I think it will lighten a bit in the sun.

I've had no damage at all. I did an Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor and DC after, and so far, so good.

I used Clairol Textures & Tones in Bronze.

Last edited:

gymfreak336

You don't always have to use bleach. When I highlight, I don't use bleach but I can still get my hair up to a level 7-6 blonde without a problem.

Bleach is use in conjuction with developer but depending on your starting point and how fast you want your highlights, you might not need it.

gymfreak336

I plan on getting highlights in two weeks. My stylist said my hair isn't damaged so it shouldn't be a problem. What should I do to prepare my hair for them?

You should do a protein and moisture treatment 2 weeks before. Going into the color process, make sure your hair is fully moisturized. Afterwards, increase your protein frequency. Tracy, an old member here who was like a color queen has a great color bootcamp regime.

queen_t

SoOoNY, thanks for the shoutout gurl!:grin:

Disclaimer: Don't ya'll blame me if anything happens to all the butifurr hurr on this board ok!! :sekret:

Bleaching (mixed w developer) lifts the color on your naturally dark brown/black hair. It gets lighter and lighter, going through the different shades of brown until your stylist reaches the desired shade.

Color is only added after bleaching if you want, let's say, red highlights (or blue for my gangsta boo's :look:).

My stylists have always told me to wait at least a month to relax after getting highlights, and that's what I've always adhered to throughout the past ten years of coloring my hair.

Last edited:

robot.

Thanks, ladies.

I'll go ahead and get my touch-up now and then wait to get my cut and color.
This is good since I also wanted to try a new salon and I don't think it'd be wise to ask for too much from a place I've never been to.

Thanks!

MonPetite

Has anyone tried "tips" as well?

How do they "work" in the hair exactly to give the effect of movement of light upon the hair like highlights are supposed to (at least when done correctly)?

I heard these are healthier as it's easy to concentrate product on the ends and if things do go south, so to speak, you're looking at thin ends vs. thin hair overall.

*fabulosity*

Umm yeah... even longer than that is probably better.

Ask me how I know..:nono:

My highlights are in the middle to bottom of the hair strand now. I love the way my hair looks highlighted... but I seem to get sick of them after a few months and when I see pics of my unhighlighted hair I'm like :yep:

Good luck girls! And post pics!

crazydaze911

well this is right on time because after seeing queen t's thread i called my stylist and made an appointment on friday to get highlights done. i've had them plenty of times before, but that was before i knew anything about taking care of hair. i woulld just go to her 2x a month to get it washed (maybe a quickie conditioner. i never even new about deep conditioning) blowdried, pressed and curled. back then all i did was apply african pride oil to my hair daily and kept it moving, and my hair stayed on my head.
so now that i know how to take care of my hair im sure it'll stay healthy. im going to have her deep condition me with ors replenishing pack so that my hair will get moisture and protein.
a week later i will pre poo, clarify, light protein with joico, and then deep condition with heat. im sure my hair will be fine.

i dont think your supposed to clarify when you have color. i believe it strips the color off faster......

mkd

I just joined a few months ago. I don't have a relaxer, but I have been wearing blondish highlights on top of color for about 5 years. I have not had any problems. Since joining the board though, I have learned so much about how to make my hair healthier. I couldn't get past BSL. I have incorporated protein since joining and my hair is SO much stronger. I know it would be stronger without color, but I LOVE color.

SoOoNY

Protein treatment before hand is critical!

Regardless if you use bleach or not you should color on the same day... wait at least 2 weeks...

Disclaimer: Don't ya'll blame me if anything happens to all the butifurr hurr on this board ok!! :sekret:

Bleaching (mixed w developer) lifts the color on your naturally dark brown/black hair. It gets lighter and lighter, going through the different shades of brown until your stylist reaches the desired shade.

Color is only added after bleaching if you want, let's say, red highlights (or blue for my gangsta boo's :look:).

My stylists have always told me to wait at least a month to relax after getting highlights, and that's what I've always adhered to throughout the past ten years of coloring my hair.

No prob queen_t! It deserves some praise... you know I love your hair. Me too... I always wait a month since I am a stretcher anyway

Thanks for starting this post, there isn't a lot of info on this topic.

Thats exactly why I did it.

i dont think your supposed to clarify when you have color. i believe it strips the color off faster......

I clarify for before I so a protein treatment because it takes better. I never experienced any stripping. For those ladies who do notice it try baking soda. I heard it a great GENTLE clarifying agent

I just joined a few months ago. I don't have a relaxer, but I have been wearing blondish highlights on top of color for about 5 years. I have not had any problems. Since joining the board though, I have learned so much about how to make my hair healthier. I couldn't get past BSL. I have incorporated protein since joining and my hair is SO much stronger. I know it would be stronger without color, but I LOVE color.

I love your highlights!

Southernbella.

Question...I want to go a little lighter. I did my first treatment almost two weeks ago. How long do I need to wait before I do another one? (I'm natural)

Cleve_gryl

Question...I want to go a little lighter. I did my first treatment almost two weeks ago. How long do I need to wait before I do another one? (I'm natural)
I got my highlights on Feb 27th (I'm relaxed) and my stylist booked my appointment to come back to relift for March 20th. :look:

Butterfly08

YOUR HIGHLIGHTS ARE BEAUTIFUL!!! :yep::yep:

delitefulmane

Bleaching.....is it healthy? Or damaging?

TPayne75

I believe in highlights too! I've been getting them for about the last 5 yrs. I've done honey blondes and browns. I've had red highlights for about a year. I use different shades of red rinses to get the deep cranberry reds. I think that haircolor is ok as long as your hair is healthy and you deep condition. :drunk:

About 2 weeks ago I got highlights... I did research on here bout came up very short. Many ladies on the forum are very afraid of color itself... so who would dare get the dreaded highlights! Luckily for me I self highlighted before with some success (except the fact that I re-highlighted myself and over lapped...OOps!:blush: It was pre-lhcf) so I went and got them highlighted professionally this time... Yay me.

Now the point of this thread... many ladies on here may want to start highlighting with summer comming and queen_t inspiring us with those GORGEOUS highlights she has (sorry queen_t, I had to shout out my fellow capricorn/ mixed west indian). So please leave your tips and suggestions, even if you dont have them anymore. If you came across any issues and had a resolution post them here as well please. Also please feel free to ask questions. Hopefully this can become a reference to ladies who want to venture into the No Mans Land of highlighting...

Here is my 2 cents:
-My hair loves protein... I did a hard protein (aphogee 2 step ) the wash before (about a week) and the wash after (about a 4 days)
-This time I incorporated Gralic to stop shedding. I am using Alter Ego Impac Ego and I love it
-Try adding a clear rinse to you DC. Keeps hair from looking dull and helps to seal cuticles (I believe... but my hair does love a good clear rinse regardless)
-One issue I had this time around was a brassy orange color instead of blonde (prob from using the Bigen in medium chestnut brown). I bought some Shimmer Lights Shampoo and it toned right down. I still have a slight orangey color but it is no longer brassy and its now on the blonde side. See my fotki in the winter 09 album.. They also make Shimmer Lights for Red Heads as well for all you ladies going to color red this summer
-Holla @ some Porosity Control

HHG Ladies!