The Official Highlights Thread!!!

mkd

Question...I want to go a little lighter. I did my first treatment almost two weeks ago. How long do I need to wait before I do another one? (I'm natural)

Sometimes we do my base color and highlights the same day and sometimes I do the base and then 2 weeks later come back for the highlights.

mkd

Thanks SoOnNY and Butterfly08.

Butterfly, I love your highlights too, as a matter of fact, I love your hair period! Loved the pics from your maintaining rollerset thread. I usually use satin sponge rollers and finger comb the next day, but I think I am going to try your method.

chebaby

i got my highlights today.
i like them. they are darker than i usually get which is what i wanted. i normally get ALOT of highlights the same color as queen t's but this time i told her i wanted them darker. like the color of a new penny lol. and thats what i got. she did it with bleach.

sorry i dont have pics. i will take some tomorrow and try to figure out how to upload them.

Cleve_gryl

I hennaed my hair two weeks ago and I want to do highlights what can I do ?
I was a henna head all of 2007. My stylist wouldn't touch my hair (with color) until the henna grew out :ohwell:. The lifting process can turn your henna'd hair green. I was too scared to do anything...but wait. Sorry :sad:

*Michelle*

More hi-lights threads...I keep coming in them and DROOLING! Beautiful hair ladies!

Soun...wait it out!

Stay strong Michelle, stay strong...

Somehow I don't think I will though...LOL!

SoOoNY

More hi-lights threads...I keep coming in them and DROOLING! Beautiful hair ladies!

Soun...wait it out!

Stay strong Michelle, stay strong...

Somehow I don't think I will though...LOL!

Your hiar is ao pretty! Highlighted or not your hair is gorgeous

SoOoNY

that might be the best soun.... I used a black demi perm after henna and it was like murder to get out.... I have had balck before that has faded but this one clung to my hair so I assume its cause of the henna

delitefulmane

Ok I have another question:
One of my friends told me that if I use box hair color, because my hair is dark, I will need to use a really, really light color to get hightlights. She said she used like a blonde to get light brown highlights. Is there any truth to this? Are box colors any less damaging ?

Aggie

Okay I'm subscribing...I am not really ready to color my hair just yet but as time goes by, I think about it more and more. I really don't want to be battling my gray hairs for too long. I'd rather bleach it or dye it possibly and continue to use henna and indigo on it afterwards because I liked what the hendigo did to my sister's bleached hair. It was very very pretty, took that ugly green look right out and left an awesome shine in it. :yep:, it was then that I decided that I'm no longer averse to coloring my hair at some point in time.

I love black hair but I am getting older and going lighter appeals to me now.

Aggie

I hennaed my hair two weeks ago and I want to do highlights what can I do ?

Henna and highlights go very well together. In addition, the henna acts as a strengthener too. If you did a henna already, then you have some strength in your hair already and I would wait another week and go for it if you're really ready. I would recommend that you study an article by Sistaslick on hair coloring too. She can be found on www.associatedcontent.com. Just type in her real name Audrey Sivasothy and all her articles will come up. HTH.

Aggie

You should do a protein and moisture treatment 2 weeks before. Going into the color process, make sure your hair is fully moisturized. Afterwards, increase your protein frequency. Tracy, an old member here who was like a color queen has a great color bootcamp regime.

I'm a member of her KISS website and I will be looking into her regimen. Thanks GF.

Aggie

SoOoNY, thanks for the shoutout gurl!:grin:

Disclaimer: Don't ya'll blame me if anything happens to all the butifurr hurr on this board ok!! :sekret:

Bleaching (mixed w developer) lifts the color on your naturally dark brown/black hair. It gets lighter and lighter, going through the different shades of brown until your stylist reaches the desired shade.

Color is only added after bleaching if you want, let's say, red highlights (or blue for my gangsta boo's :look:).

My stylists have always told me to wait at least a month to relax after getting highlights, and that's what I've always adhered to throughout the past ten years of coloring my hair.

Now see, that's what I was waiting for right there. Thanks queen_t for this very helpful tip.

chebaby

i just got bleach streaks done last friday and im thinking of getting my hair died in 3-6 months.
does anyone know if thats ok to do?

blackbarbie

I had highlights before when I was relaxed and never had any problems because I kept on a strict deep conditioning and protein treatment regimen. I think that another reason I was able to maintain a healthy head of hair was because I used heat sparingly. (shoot, I was so scared of a flat iron and a blow dryer that I think that I almost NEVER used heat!) A lot of times people tend to use a lot of heat and if you think about it, the color has already dyed and fried your hair, so when you use heat often, you are continuously frying it, thereby making it dry and brittle, which makes it easier to snap and break off.

I am transitioning and just got highlights on February 6th. I really didn't like the color (it wasn't light enough and was too much on the copper side as opposed to the blondish highlights that I preferred and had in the past). I told my brother and he told me to come back to let him do a lighter color. I will be making an appointment for next week, which will be 6 weeks from the last time. I asked if it would be an issue. He assured me that it wouldn't and he started to explain the chemical process that he would be doing (lifting, etc., blah, blah, blah,) and I told him it was too much information for me and all I wanted to know was that my hair wouldn't be in his wash bowl.:grin: He said it wouldn't. I trust him, so I am good and hopefully next week I will have the color I want.

BB

soonergirl

Got highlights also in Feb... I used emergencee the week before my appt... And after I used aphogee 2 min.. I am keeping up the moisture protein balance... One of these days I will get an updated pic on here.

RocStar

For me, Porosity Control Conditioner is my friend.

In addition, I pay close attention to my hair...trying to monitor my protein/moisture balance and keeping it where it needs to be.

I also keeps my ends super moisturized.

delitefulmane

Man!! Am I invisible on this forum? My questions hardly get answered!! So... I am gonna post it again!! Hope you guys don't mind my persistence!! One of my friends told me that if I use box hair color, because my hair is dark, I will need to use a really, really light color to get hightlights. She said she used like a blonde to get light brown highlights. Is there any truth to this? Are box colors any less damaging ?

mkd

Man!! Am I invisible on this forum? My questions hardly get answered!! So... I am gonna post it again!! Hope you guys don't mind my persistence!! One of my friends told me that if I use box hair color, because my hair is dark, I will need to use a really, really light color to get hightlights. She said she used like a blonde to get light brown highlights. Is there any truth to this? Are box colors any less damaging ?

Sorry, I have no idea. Just bumping for you. I don't do my own color. I think if I was going darker I probably would though.

gymfreak336

If your hair is extremely dark compared to the color you desire, don't do it at home. At home, you only want to go 1-2 levels lighter. Any higher and you need to tone as you process which is better left in the hands of a colorist...not a stylist....a colorist. The so called highlights that come from using a box color extremely lighter than your base color are where the color processes much quicker from that hair being weaker. You don't have any control over that process so the placement of the so called highlights is unpredictable as is shade and the damage done to your hair.

Color is color. Whether you mix it up yourself from a box at home or plop down in someones chair, you are still exposing yourself from the same chemicals. Many damage their hair more at home because they don't select the right color which leads to more color correcting, not to mention they don't condition their hair adequately before, during, and after the process.

gn1g

ITA with Gym. I know that you do have to go extremely light to get a brown color on black hair. HOWEVER anytime I attempt to lighten my own hair I loose most of it.

Take it from me go to a colorist. YT salons are very good at hi-lites and color.

Morenita

I subscribed. Thanks for starting this thread. Now I can come in here and drool anytime I want :p I can't do anything anytime soon because I am transitioning and I henna, but maybe in the future, we'll see how bad the urge gets. :rolleyes: I'll use up what henna I have left and maybe try some cassia in preparation....

Question though...would I need to wait for ALL of the henna to grow out, or just for 6 months or so to let it fade? That would suck, it'd be almost like transitioning again... :wallbash: