The Official Highlights Thread!!!

Lexxx

I subscribed. Thanks for starting this thread. Now I can come in here and drool anytime I want :p I can't do anything anytime soon because I am transitioning and I henna, but maybe in the future, we'll see how bad the urge gets. :rolleyes: I'll use up what henna I have left and maybe try some cassia in preparation....

Question though...would I need to wait for ALL of the henna to grow out, or just for 6 months or so to let it fade? That would suck, it'd be almost like transitioning again... :wallbash:

Hey check out this site
http://www.hennaforhair.com/warnings/index.html

There is a lot of conflicting info about henna, Do some research, i have read that so long as its not compound henna there wont be a problem.

I am planning on highlighting my hair in the next 2/3 months, just trying to decide what colour & where on my head, i would like it.

i last hennaed about a month ago, last relaxed 3 weeks ago.
I have been a henna head for about 8 or so years, hennaed every month for 3/4 years on natural head, was told i could not relax hennaed hair... i did ...no problems.

I still continued to henna every month & relax, then i switched to indigo, loved the black.
and only needed to do it every 3- 6 months.

i plan on harvesting my hair form the comb to see what happens first b4 i go a head with it.
As i said b4 do some research, go to reputable henna sites and ask questions.

AtlantaJJ

I think I have disqualified myself from color / highlighs due to using henna....

I love highlights and color!! This is a great thread.

AtlantaJJ

I had highlights before when I was relaxed and never had any problems because I kept on a strict deep conditioning and protein treatment regimen. I think that another reason I was able to maintain a healthy head of hair was because I used heat sparingly. (shoot, I was so scared of a flat iron and a blow dryer that I think that I almost NEVER used heat!) A lot of times people tend to use a lot of heat and if you think about it, the color has already dyed and fried your hair, so when you use heat often, you are continuously frying it, thereby making it dry and brittle, which makes it easier to snap and break off.

I am transitioning and just got highlights on February 6th. I really didn't like the color (it wasn't light enough and was too much on the copper side as opposed to the blondish highlights that I preferred and had in the past). I told my brother and he told me to come back to let him do a lighter color. I will be making an appointment for next week, which will be 6 weeks from the last time. I asked if it would be an issue. He assured me that it wouldn't and he started to explain the chemical process that he would be doing (lifting, etc., blah, blah, blah,) and I told him it was too much information for me and all I wanted to know was that my hair wouldn't be in his wash bowl.:grin: He said it wouldn't. I trust him, so I am good and hopefully next week I will have the color I want.

BB
:needpics:
Got highlights also in Feb... I used emergencee the week before my appt... And after I used aphogee 2 min.. I am keeping up the moisture protein balance... One of these days I will get an updated pic on here.
I want to see your results!!!! Please post pictures BB & SoonerGirl!!

I don't have highlights but I :love2: them!

Cleve_gryl

So, here is my update. I got my highlights done on Feb 27th. The color would not lift due to the layers and layers of demi, semi rinses and henna :ohwell:. My stylist didn't want to damage me so she sent me home with darker colored streaks and I went back to get them redone on March 20th.

Color STILL wouldn't lift to blonde :nono:. So, this is what I have now. We'll try again in a few months, once I'm ready for color maintenance.

Lexxx

So, here is my update. I got my highlights done on Feb 27th. The color would not lift due to the layers and layers of demi, semi rinses and henna :ohwell:. My stylist didn't want to damage me so she sent me home with darker colored streaks and I went back to get them redone on March 20th.

Color STILL wouldn't lift to blonde :nono:. So, this is what I have now. We'll try again in a few months, once I'm ready for color maintenance.

LOVE THAT COLOUR cleve-grl

Thats the colour i am going to be aiming for

AtlantaJJ

I :love2: that color! I am surprised that you got such great color after using henna!! :up: Very nice!

AtlantaJJ

I haven't hennaed in well over a year...I actually started using rinses to cover the henna red. That stuff really clings to the ends of the hair :ohwell:
That's a good and bad thing. Good if your hair is fine because it gives it weight and protects the ends to a degree... Bad if you want to get color.

I debated for a long time before I decided to go the henna route for this very reason.

Aggie

I haven't hennaed in well over a year...I actually started using rinses to cover the henna red. That stuff really clings to the ends of the hair :ohwell:

That's a good and bad thing. Good if your hair is fine because it gives it weight and protects the ends to a degree... Bad if you want to get color.

I debated for a long time before I decided to go the henna route for this very reason.

Darn, you ladies just made it harder for me to get highlights now:nono:. I love my henna a little too much to give it up at the moment so this highlight thing is just gonna have to go on the back burner for now.

Cleve_gryl, your hair color still looks wonderful even though you didn't get the blond color you wanted. Don't sweat it honey, you are still gorgeous. I can't wait to see your highlights a few months from now. Keep us updated. I won't unsubsrcibe from this thread as I am still interested in highlights much later and will be keeping this for future reference:yep:.

FindingMe

i was thinking of getting higlights to cover my gray hair, but i am thinking i may just henna the gray and keep it movin'...subscribing, tho-

gymfreak336

I wish you would have posted before you went. In the archives, Tracy gives her method on how to remove layers of old semi and demi color for a new color process. I tried it before my last permanent color and it worked like a charm.

sky_blu

Mayn where was this thread last year! LOL I needed it when I was getting my now almost grown out highlights.

blackbarbie

I want to see your results!!!! Please post pictures BB & SoonerGirl!!

I don't have highlights but I :love2: them!

AtlantaJJ,
I went to the salon on Friday and got more highlights. It's still not quite the color I want but when blended in with the first highlights I had, it actually looks o.k. He made an effort NOT to highlight over the previously highlighted hair so as not to damage it, but he weaved a few strands in (of the previously highligted hair) by mistake and I like the color THAT lifted to.

I will be back with pics....

BB

Aggie

I wish you would have posted before you went. In the archives, Tracy gives her method on how to remove layers of old semi and demi color for a new color process. I tried it before my last permanent color and it worked like a charm.

Gym, what was the name of the thread? I would like to have that one handy for when I am ready for it. Maybe I'll send her a PM over on KISS about it:yep:, but if you can find it, that would be helpful too for us here.

Butterfly08

Your hair is luscious! :lick:

AtlantaJJ,
I went to the salon on Friday and got more highlights.

I will be back with pics....

BB

Hurry! :lol:

Jalen's Mom

For those of you who have highlighted your hair, did you use bleach or hair color with a developer? I'm interested in getting Aveda highlights. I went to one of their salons, and they tested my hair, but she couldn't get the color to lift without bleach. Any suggestions? Or keep shopping for a colorist?

TIA for any help you can provide! I really want highlights, but I want them done right. I've had them in the past without great results (they looked pretty but my hair was damaged). Now that I know how to better take care of my hair (thanks to LHCF), I think I'd do a much better job.

Last edited:

Butterfly08

^Jalen I'll let you know in a week and a half after I get my highlights touched up. I'll be sure to ask my Aveda stylist for you. :yep:

Jalen's Mom

I'm so jealous of you ladies getting your highlights done. I want highlights NOW! Apparently, I have too much grey to get highlights. I've never heard of such a thing! :drunk:

outspokenwallflower

For those of you who have done your own highlights, what did you use? I have had permanent color and semi-permanent color and demi-permanent color in my hair before so just in case I bought powder bleach w/ a lower developer, but I also got Loreal Cremelights which is ammonia free and states that it lifts up to 5 levels, but im unsure of how it'll work with my hair because of its previous color.

What have ya'll used/done?:sad:

Cleve_gryl

I'm so jealous of you ladies getting your highlights done. I want highlights NOW! Apparently, I have too much grey to get highlights. I've never heard of such a thing! :drunk:
:nono: The stylist should give you a base color at the roots and then can highlight...I have greys in my temple areas, and they just came out a light blondish color with no base.

Jalen's Mom

:nono: The stylist should give you a base color at the roots and then can highlight...I have greys in my temple areas, and they just came out a light blondish color with no base.

Cleve-gryl,

Great info! I'll contact the colorist and run that by her. Otherwise, I'll go elsewhere.

Thanks!:yep:

Valerie

Planning to get highlights for either the summer or autumn(fall), I have had highlights done in the past, by myself or professionally and I have had no problems, I am using Ovation/Mega Tek hair products.