The orginal Fine hair thread 2013

abcd09

For the ladies who experience matting: I'm not natural but I have to stretch my relaxers. I was getting bad matting and dredding until I started doing chicoros prepoo before washing. All it is is Aloe vera juice, an oil, then coconut oil on your head with heat for over 20 mins. it helps to seal the cuticle, which also reduces tangling. Also keep product buildup to an absolute minimum. This means shampooing every time I wash for me. Im thinking cowashing with a conditioner without cones may work, but i haven't found one that effectively moisturizes my hair yet. also stretch from the roots as you wash. These are things I've learned to cut down on the damaging effect of matting and dredding. What have you learned?

eta: my phone makes terrible autocorrects of non-words:ohwell:

Last edited:

k_enitan

Subbing!
I unfortunately have the dreaded combo of Fine hair + Low density + Patchy hair loss (esp around temple) + crazy scalp.
I have been growing my hair for the last 4yrs and not yet APL. While I want length, its the reducing density that bothers me more, anytime I think my hair is on track it always seems to have a setback.
I pretty much wear a wig always cause styling is out of the window, the unequal lengths and fuzz/frizz(4c/4b) does not yield good results.

Thanks for the venting space! will post about products/processes that have actually worked later

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Fine haired natural! I'm MBL and trying to get to WhIP. This is the longest, healthiest, and thickest my hair has ever been.

NappyNelle reggie and tips please? :)

Eta:I see it. Didn't read whole thread. You are my hair inspiration. I see we have similar hair measurements and the same reggie. I hope i get to that 14 inches by year's end. We also must be around the same height. Are you also um...vertically challenged? :look:

Sent from my SGH-T959 using LHCF

Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Ok so I'm fine haired natural, medium density, normal porosity mostly 4A, some 4b. I wear medium or large braids and twists. I m&s every other night with water, cream, and grapeseed oil. I believe i have less ssks due to 99% protective styling and keeping my moisture up.

JulietWhiskey do you still use the Aphogee Green Tea? I got it and have used it twice so far. I can feel my hair strengthening on contact. I usually use AOGPB. I think i will use the spray on the weeks that I don't use GPB.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using LHCF

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Fine haired relaxed head checking in:wave:
Protein is my best friend as well as finger detangling as my hair is hanging loose air drying.
Oil rinsing is also great for ease in detangling.

Dare I say it. ..regular buns and I had to divorce:nono: Updo's are way better for my hair than buns:yep:

Jobwright

Hello! I am definitely fine haired and still searching for answers to plump up my strands and to keep the ends moisturized. I have toyed with the idea of using Aloe Vera. But I, for some reason, have been scared to try it. Is aloe a protein or a moisturizer? What does it actually do to the hair...make it softer, stronger, more pliable, stretch the curls...what does aloe do, really? And how do you decide to use avj or avg? How do you manage to use it so cold from the fridge? Subbing now!

hair4today

Another fine haired lady checking in. My stats, natural, 4b, low porosity, low to med density hair. I'm a bit below APL measuring from the nape, SL from crown and sides. Now onto my reggie. I have been natural for 3 yrs and thru trial and error have finally landed on a routine that appears to be working for my hair. I notice a lot of similarities to many of the reggies mentioned in this thread.

Pre-poo (night b4):
AO White Camellia on strands, remove shed hairs, finger detangle
Apply homemade growth mix on scalp, chunky twists and go under heat cap 30 minutes

Wash Day Routine
Tea Rinse:
Amla Tea, Burdock Root Tea, Oolong Tea tea mix, plastic cap for 15 mins

Moisturizing or Protein DC (alternate every other week):
Layer favorite protein or moisture DC over the amla, burdock,oolong mix then go under heat cap for 30 mins.

Cleanse:
NaturelleGrow (NG) Cleansing Conditioners

Rinse out Conditioner:
SM Balancing Conditioner (optional)

Final Rinse:
1 tsp NBD Floral ACV Rinse diluted with 12 oz water

Detangle, Moist & Seal and Dry:
Spritz hair with water
Apply NG Soft and Silky Leave-in and detangle using three HS combs
Seal ends with HV Cocasta oil or JBCO
Curl formers under dryer for 45 - 60 minutes
Air dry curl formers for 3 hrs before bed.
Remove CFs and twist hair into Bantu knots to maintain curls

Style (next day):
Remove bantus and style hair in updos or buns using banana clip, spin pins, hair sticks, flexi8 or my new favorite...phony ponytail puffs.

In addition to the above, I incorporate a hard protein treatment (NBD, Komaza or HV) every two weeks plus I do henna glosses every 4-6 weeks. I scalp detox once a month and shampoo using Terressentials mud wash whenever I feel buildup is an issue.

Last edited:

APrayer4Hair

Ok after reading the responses I am def fine- haired:

Stats: Natural 4a/b (I guess) , very dense, color treated, low porosity (I think)

Issues I'm having: dryness, tangling, ssks
I haven't colored since October and I won't be coloring again.

Per this thread ill definitely explore some of the protein methods mentioned here. I've been feeling like this is the missing link. I bought Giovanni nutrafix but it did nothing. I'm also extremely style challenged. All I can manage is a WnG puff :nono: I need help.

Current length:

image-4180845120.jpg

almond eyes

The journey of being a fine haired (relaxed since 2010) has been a challenge and I have changed my regiment so many times. Once I stopped wearing hair extensions and weaves in Feb 2012, I was forced to learn what my hair likes and doesn't like. Just recently I discovered that glycerin and aloe as moisturisers make my hair sticky I was in denial about this for many years as I love my Qhemet Biologics. I also realised that too many hair products and being heavy handed caused me more shedding. Best, Almond Eyes

Last edited:

yodie

Fine hair checking in. My fine hair refuses to get past bsb, the longest it's been was grazing bsl. It's very difficult, dare I say, impossible to retain and I've been at my hair care journey for several years now. I would also add that fine hair is prone to setbacks, which I'm guessing and hoping has been my problem (and not that it CAN'T get longer). Protein overload and Matting and dreading , both unintentional, kept screwing with my progress, and stupidly I had used the flat iron one too many times last year. I had gone on a 7 year stint of no direct heat that made my hair fuller, but not very much longer. My ends and retention drive me insane! I am prone to splits. Anyway I tried to make a thread like this awhile ago, so I hope this one stays around, like a support thread to give us some encouragement be ause I know it can feel like I'm putting years an dears of hard work on my hair and the smallest tiniest mistake messes me up.

Ditto to everything you said.

cynd

Subbing. Thanks for the thread @Coolsista-paris

I have very fine, low density, thinning in the crown hair that breaks if I look at it. I feel like I'm reading my own personal hair diary in this thread. It's very encouraging to know that it is possible to retain length even with the special challenges we face.

@hair4today, I used Komaza protein treatment this weekend for the first time and it made a difference. It's hard to explain, but I felt like I actually had hair in my hands. I guess that's what people mean when they say something added strength to their hair. Never experienced that before.

Lissa0821

Another fine haired member, on my way to being APL for the third or fourth time (I loose count :look:). My biggest challenge is my ends, they get weathered really easily so I am trimming quiet often. Braidout and twistout can really jack my ends up if I don't properly moisturized. I pretty much do rollerset and flat iron my roots. I am currently on the fence about transitioning to natural. I have noticed my hair is getting thicker the longer I go in between relaxers.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Where have you ladies been all my life...well at least all of my HHJ :)? Another fine hair ...hair enthusiast checking in.

My stats are: 4a/b, relaxed, APL, medium density and low porosity. I use to be high porosity until I incorporated Roux Porosity to my weekly DC, on last check my hair strand sat on top of the water and didn't even attempt to sink. I steam my DC in and GHE so My hair accepts moisture pretty well with these two techniques. I'm so happy to see LHFCers who have fine hair and are having similar struggles. Lately I've been noticing plenty of both; end and mid-strand breakage so I decided to try Nexxuss Emergencee and OMG! This has not only saved my ends but has also changed my life! I have not done weekly protein reconstructors before but I will definitely be incorporating them into my weekly wash regimen. I've used Aphogee 2-step. Aphogee two minute and Joico Deep Penetrating reconstructor and none has compared to the Nexuss. In two years my hair has never felt this AMAZING; during DC rinse out and after air drying. I'll be ten weeks post on Thursday and my hair didn't need any mechanical detangling afterwards, I'm sold for life. I think it was the combination of Hydrolized Elastin and Collagen Amino Acids in the ingredients that did it and also all the steps in my wash regimen.

I'm looking forward to learning more wonderful tips on achieving thicker, longer and healthier hair. Nix08 I totally agree with you on bunning. Updo's is the only way for me to wear protective styles. Rollersets look really nice on me too but the wet manipulation kills my strands. Maybe now that I've found a protein reconstructor, maybe...just maybe I can enjoy regular RSs without breakage.

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
Thanks for this thread coolsista-paris

My hair is thick but I have fine strands which explains why my hair never held a curl or any definition without a styling mousse when I was relaxed.

I learnt (the hard way) that I can't blow dry or flat iron very often so now that I'm natural, I am off heat until I reach my goal of HL. I don't even want to see a heat styling tool.

There is this part of my crown on the left that never grew past 5 inches with processed hair. It just broke off constantly while the rest of my hair thrived. I have to handle that area gently and moisturise it consistently. Now it's retaining like the rest of my hair.

I moisturise nightly because if I don't, retention slows because I get tangles and breakage. I braid up my hair each night in about 4 to 10 braids as I moisturise because if I don't, I'll have tangles to deal with the next day. Still looking for a way to reduce manipulation daily but so far I haven't found any because I have to moisturise nightly at least. Satin or silk scarves are a must for bed.

I only comb my hair on wash days, every week or every other. I just style with my hands and fingers. Brushing is out of the question.

Last edited:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Thanks for this thread coolsista-paris

My hair is thick but I have fine strands which explains why my hair never held a curl or any definition without a styling mousse when I was relaxed.

I learnt (the hard way) that I can't blow dry or flat iron very often so now that I'm natural, I am off heat until I reach my goal of HL. I don't even want to see a heat styling tool.

There is this part of my crown on the left that never grew past 5 inches with processed hair. It just broke off constantly while the rest of my hair thrived. I have to handle that area gently and moisturise it consistently. Now it's retaining like that rest of my hair.

I moisturise nightly because if I don't, retention slows because I get tangles and breakage. I braid up my hair each night in about 4 to 10 braids as I moisturise because if I don't, I'll have tangles to deal with the next day. Still looking for a way to reduce manipulation daily but so far I haven't found any because I have to moisturise nightly at least. Satin or silk scarves are a must for bed.

Yes, I always wondered why I can't have second day hair. I thought my DD and sister had some type of special curl trained hair to retain curls made with irons. My DD can literally sleep without any scarfs/bonnets and still wake up with beautiful curls. I'm so jealous!!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
KiWiStyle I wish I had discovered that buns were not my friend earlier...Year one my hair wasn't long enough to bun and I got great retention and hardly any splits. Year two I felt all cool because I could finally bun and did so a lot and had to trim due to splits often. Now in year 3 I'm back to updo's mainly because DH said that he wasn't a fan of buns :look: (neither was I but did it for the so called health of my hair), and I'm noticing that I hardly have any splits.

Lissa0821

@KiWiStyle I wish I had discovered that buns were not my friend earlier...Year one my hair wasn't long enough to bun and I got great retention and hardly any splits. Year two I felt all cool because I could finally bun and did so a lot and had to trim due to splits often. Now in year 3 I'm back to updo's mainly because DH said that he wasn't a fan of buns :look: (neither was I but did it for the so called health of my hair), and I'm noticing that I hardly have any splits.

Same here, buns seem to break my hair in three places, on the sides and the middle of whatever bun I made would get matted. It didn't matter where it was located on my head. No more buns for me.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
KiWiStyle I wish I had discovered that buns were not my friend earlier...Year one my hair wasn't long enough to bun and I got great retention and hardly any splits. Year two I felt all cool because I could finally bun and did so a lot and had to trim due to splits often. Now in year 3 I'm back to updo's mainly because DH said that he wasn't a fan of buns :look: (neither was I but did it for the so called health of my hair), and I'm noticing that I hardly have any splits.

We live and we learn. My hair always look puny in buns and even now that I use a satin covered sock bun, my thin ends still reveal the satin and the pins sit on them...no way, no how can my ends endure that trauma. I still do them from time to time but never will I wear one all day.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
KiWiStyle what is second day hair? Heck, what is second hour hair? please... lol!

LOL! You're so right! The curls dissipate throughout the day until the hair is completely flat. Like the articles says, roller sets are the only way to maintain curls for more than a few hours.

Blessed&higlyflavoured

Fine haired natural here too.

I retain length by keeping my hair in miniplaits. If i want volume i plait the roots and twist the ends. I also dust my ends every time i redo my miniplaits, which is about every 6 weeks.
Using a reconstructor regularly and finger detangling was actually a game changer for me. retaining length is much easier. Also not manipulating my hair when its wet, using light oils and moisturisers, and having a little but of protein in all my other products helps.
Washing my hair every 3-4 days and using light reconstructor each time.

but can i ask you fine fine-haired ladies.. do you have to deal with lint? I always try to avoid it but i just can't seem to escape it? Any suggestions?

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
Re: The original Fine hair thread 2013

I realized that I did not post my specs at all. I'm a fine-haired, no to low-porosity, low density in the temple area, mid density everywhere else (except crown, which is high-density), 3c/ 4a in the crown area, with color treated hair. My hair clumps together to form curls for the most part, but my crown area is another beast. It is a ball of webbing, that must be handled gently. I get the most breakage from that area. My problem is finding products that work for my whole head, not just parts. I don't want to be a product junkie :nono:. Once I find a regimen that really works for me, I'll post it.

coolsista-paris--thanks for the thread, I've learned so much already

NappyNelle--thanks for the regi and tips, definitely not boring:yep:

hair4today--thanks for the regi and tips

cynd

@KiWiStyle I wish I had discovered that buns were not my friend earlier...Year one my hair wasn't long enough to bun and I got great retention and hardly any splits. Year two I felt all cool because I could finally bun and did so a lot and had to trim due to splits often. Now in year 3 I'm back to updo's mainly because DH said that he wasn't a fan of buns :look: (neither was I but did it for the so called health of my hair), and I'm noticing that I hardly have any splits.

@Nix08, @KiWiStyle

This sounds like my hair. I'm relaxed/texlaxed and retained well with an updo/puff during the first year before my hair was long enough to bun. I was so happy to be able to bun (albeit a very anemic-looking bun :ohwell:) and now realize I haven't had half the amount of retention in the past few months even though I think my hair practices are better than they were during the first year. What types of updos are you doing?

@KiWiStyle, if I could get a braid like your siggy I think I would be in hair heaven!:yep:

Last edited:

laylaaa

Question: how often do you ladies shampoo or cleanse? My scalp CANNOT go more than three 3 days w/o washing but then I see girls with long preeeeetty hair that wash like once a month! I know everyone's different but seriously, this is doing my head in!

For those of you that struggle with tangles, I think it's because of our combination of fine and curly. Curly and coarse/med and wavy/fine seem to have no problems but curly and fine? Lol! When I wear my hair set or straight, I never EVER get tangles. I slept w/o my scarf, manipulated it, bunned and worked out for a week and I had absolutely zero breakage whatsoever. Just curly? Hair tangles within an hour, poofy crown with miserable ends, snarls in every direction.

So, I've decided that me and curly hair will have to part. My hair can handle manipulation like a champ when it is straight/wavy but I won't even need to do so b/c there's none of the tangles there in the first place.

I just wish I knew how to do roller sets!!!

NowIAmNappy

Fine haired natural checking in. Im almost MBL and for me frequent dusting, protective styling and protein is a must for my hair. Out of everything I've learned over the years I would say those 3 I mentioned are my life support for my hair

hair4today

cynd, agree with you on the difference protein makes on natural hair especially when you have fine strands. When I first started learning my hair, it was so dry and brittle that I focused exclusively on moisturizing DCs and leave-ins and saw very little progress in terms of retention. It finally clicked after reading the Komaza Analysis thread that our fine strands need keratin to bolster its structure and help to retain moisture. Once I started incorporating heavy protein treatments, I saw an immediate improvement in the health of my hair.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
@cynd a version of this is how I wear my hair most days...except I use a larger claw clip and twist the back up and allow the hair there to just hang up and out (instead of that bun)...the first mini claw clip makes a front poof and the second one is closer than in this pic to the first one bringing the hair by my ears up....hopefully my explanation makes sense:

I agree if I could do @KiWiStyle's braid I'd be happy but I know that's well beyond my skill level:look:

cynd

I have my fingers crossed that the warm weather will trigger a growth spurt and that the extra protein will help me keep it on my head hair4today.