The orginal Fine hair thread 2013

JuiceMobsta

Waist length/Whip length, Natural, fine-haired lady checking in. :)

Unlike alot of you ladies who mentioned using alot of protein, my hair can actually become very sensitive to protein. So I have to be careful with that. But it can tangle like crazy, roots can mat up, reminds me of a spiderweb(like one poster mentioned), and has very little weight to it(flyaway, lightweight). If I were to wash it and put nothing on it then it would be too light and would shrink up and be more prone to knots. Product helps to keep it stretched out and give it a little weight...

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I like this thread. I agree with alot of sentiments already shared. Here are some ofthe specifics

My hair liked protien conditioners often.
My hair needs to be trimmed regularly.
My hair needs to be stretched to retain length.
Bunning makes hair hair,tangle,matt, and break off.
I cannot retain length when transitioning only when 100% natural or 100% relaxed.
My hair likes to be worn out or in a loose ponytail.
I get very little breakage when my hair is work straight.
Daily moisturizing is unnnecesary and makes hair heavy and sticky.
I need to shampoo my scalp often.

abcd09

@KiWiStyle I wish I had discovered that buns were not my friend earlier...Year one my hair wasn't long enough to bun and I got great retention and hardly any splits. Year two I felt all cool because I could finally bun and did so a lot and had to trim due to splits often. Now in year 3 I'm back to updo's mainly because DH said that he wasn't a fan of buns :look: (neither was I but did it for the so called health of my hair), and I'm noticing that I hardly have any splits.
Nix08 what kind of updos do you do that arent buns? Im confused lol

hannan

For those moisturizing daily, what kind of leave ins do you use? I've been doing that recently and my hair gets too limp and product heavy after a couple of days. I'm really looking for something on the ground like kckt perhaps.

abcd09

DEPP CONDITION YOUR ROOTS, I tried this recently and it worked wonders. If your hair often matts at the roots when you do twists, braids, or any other type of ps then this may be a practice that you want to implement into your wash day.
I would add to this to be sparing when applying dc with cones because the cones will leave white gunk-like buildup. A little goes a long way.

Also, add a light oil to your DCs

abcd09

Unlike alot of you ladies who mentioned using alot of protein, my hair can actually become very sensitive to protein. So I have to be careful with that. But it can tangle like crazy, roots can mat up, reminds me of a spiderweb(like one poster mentioned), and has very little weight to it(flyaway, lightweight). If I were to wash it and put nothing on it then it would be too light and would shrink up and be more prone to knots. Product helps to keep it stretched out and give it a little weight...
@Chelz so ahem what is your regi? have you always been WL?? :drunk: your shrinkage is amazing!

mshoneyfly

For those moisturizing daily, what kind of leave ins do you use? I've been doing that recently and my hair gets too limp and product heavy after a couple of days. I'm really looking for something on the ground like kckt perhaps.

I cant moisturize everyday because I usually wear my hair out. I do it every other day. About 2 days a week, I massage my scalp with a bit of camillia or amla oil. Then I run my fingers through the length of my hair and add the water based moisturizer (Nubian Heritage custard or Shea Moisture restoritive conditioner) followed by NH hair butter on ends.

I also recommend Eden Bodyworks Jojoba Monoi hair milk and EBWorks peppermint tea tree hair milk as moisturizers. I like that these are all natural products. I noticed that I am moving more in that direction lately.

ETA: Another thing I have been doing is the GHE/baggying. To avoid a wet head, I moisturize and seal (or not) then put on my satin scarf. Add the condish cap then my bonnet on top.

Last edited:

McQuay30

What is your texture, im wondering how much that plays a part with fine hair?

PJaye

A fine, fragile haired, tangle-prone, low density, WL member checking in. Through trial and error, I’ve been able to master what works best for my hair, which includes no:

Co-washing
Wigs
Weaves
Extensions
Braids/Cornrows
Twists
Wash N Gos
Frequent dusting/trims
Daily M&S
Scarves/Bonnets
Hard protein treatments
Cone/Protein-laden finishing products

Along with:

Weekly washing and DCing
Regular doses of keratin and collagen
Monthly chelating/clarifying
Detangling with a reconstructor (SSI Okra or Mill Creek)
Very low manipulation
The Magic Star Rake
Sealing the entire length with a castor oil mixture after DCing
Refreshing midweek with my water spritz and a creamy leave-in
Wearing a low ponytail/braid to prevent tangling and matting
Using quality products with excellent ingredients
Adding oil to my DCs, especially almond, castor, babassu, hemp seed and sesame
Applying products gently using a root-to-tip smoothing motion
During tangle emergencies, applying a thick oil (i.e., apricot, flax seed) to wet hair before shampooing and detangling while rinsing in the shower

There is also one absolute necessity in my routine - every DC and leave-in I use must be able to provide me with lasting moisture (e.g., several days worth). If not, they are immediately kicked to the curb.

Renewed1

I wanted to thank the ladies that mentioned the hot oil treatments. My hair is WAY less tangled then what it normally is I mean I'm not fighting with my hair to detangle; it's EASY!!

JuiceMobsta

@Chelz so ahem what is your regi? have you always been WL?? :drunk: your shrinkage is amazing!

abcd09 I have not always been WL, my last relaxer was June 2009, so I have been growing my natural hair out since then. Right before my transition my hair wasnt any longer than apl. I usually either wear my hair up or stretched in a braid out/twist out. I wash it once a week, mostly finger comb, and do a thorough detangling once a week(root to tip). Sometimes I will detangle in 10 separate sections. I don't really have a set schedule to dc every week or anything, just whenever I feel like it. I moisturize my hair whenever needed, which can either be everyday or every few days. I try to be gentle with my hair. I dont like to mess with it much because I will feel as though I am over manipulating it and it will all break off :lol:

What is your texture, im wondering how much that plays a part with fine hair?

McQuay30 I would say that my texture is 3c/4a. :) I think that fine hair comes in all textures, whether straight, wavy, curly, or coily.

coolsista-paris

you girls manage to wash every week!? i felt like it was too much manipulation and too much time.

i wash every 2 weeks. maybe im stuck because of that? my scalp doesnt itch and i use little products. no reason for build up.

so why is this hair stuck. ?

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
abcd09 on post#90 is a sample of how I wear my hair. Today I have a side part with a flat twist in the front and the back is simply twisted and claw clipped with the ends out.

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I wash every week or two, on the odd occasion three if I'm too busy. I used to wash more frequently coolsista-paris like 2x a week when I first started my HJ at just above SL but I stopped when it got longer (around BSL) because it took more time and I felt like my ends were suffering from so much manipulation. That's another reason I don't co-wash all through the week like other ladies can. My hair cannot handle that.

I'm hunting for a good protein conditioner. This thread gives me a few ideas.

Last edited:

k_enitan

do you do scalp massages? it may help.

I remember when i lost my hairline after front lace. I started massaging scalp with castor oil. I massaged everyday (but just 2-3 times a week with the oil).
i was doing fine.

My doctor actually recommends scalp massages, but this tends to make my hair snap from the roots (I think my hair grows in already damaged)

My scalp cannot tolerate castor oil and most oils however it can take coconut oil. So I use this to lift any scales and as a prepoo.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
My doctor actually recommends scalp massages, but this tends to make my hair snap from the roots (I think my hair grows in already damaged)

My scalp cannot tolerate castor oil and most oils however it can take coconut oil. So I use this to lift any scales and as a prepoo.

I do scalp massages daily without a problem. Maybe you're doing them wrong...the proper way to massage your scalp is to grip your scalp with the pads of your fingers and move them in a circular motion. You should see the skin on your forehead move if you are doing it right. If you're disturbing the hair a lot, you're doing it wrong. Try it this way and see how it works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

mshoneyfly

I do scalp massages daily without a problem. Maybe you're doing them wrong...the proper way to massage your scalp is to grip your scalp with the pads of your fingers and move them in a circular motion. You should see the skin on your forehead move if you are doing it right. If you're disturbing the hair a lot, you're doing it wrong. Try it this way and see how it works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

owwww!!! Now I get it! Ive been doing it wrong all this time!

KittyMeowMeow

WL fine lady checking in. Great thread!

ELIMINATE/REDUCE SOURCES OF DAMAGE

This has been the biggest reason for me being able to grow longer hair. I have been stuck at various lengths in my life- NL, SL/CBL, APL, BSL. These (esp the top 2) are what kept me stuck at all but the last one:

Heat: Flat ironing/blowdrying are death for my hair. My avi is flat ironed (which I did on the lowest heat w/ 1 pass & heat protectant). I did that once in my 3 year journey. I most likely won't flat iron again for years, if ever (I'll rollerset if I want straightish hair). If I really had to flat iron, I would limit it to 1-2x/year, tops. Use airdryed styles or rollersets with a hood dryer instead.

Chemicals: Going natural was huge for me. Color, especially coloring lighter, was unnecessary damage. Also, for growing long hair, you would have to chop or have 2-tone hair for years if you change your mind.

Mechanical Damage: No brushes (too harsh for fine hair). Gentle combing from the bottom up in sections. Seamless widetooth comb (Magic Star Jumbo Rake). No bobby pins (hairpins instead). No buns w/ ends caught in a ponytail holder. Rarely using ponytail holders, opting for hairpins instead.

PROTECTIVE STYLING

Tuck the Ends: A good PS involves tucked-in ends. Braids, for example, keep the hair from tangling on itself (more important the higher your hairtype & shrinkage). But unless the ends are also tucked, they aren't fully protective.

Getting to APL: If your hair falls from NL to CBL while "out", PS like your life depends on it past these lengths. The constant rubbing of your ends on your shoulders will wear them off!

PSing while enjoying your hair: I wear my hair out for "max enjoyment" only. Meaning, I almost always have my hair up in a simple (but cute) low, loose side bun at home or other times I don't care about. At night, I put it in a bun on top of my head, or 3 braids (which I then gently coil on themselves & tuck the ends). I only wear it out outside when it's not windy or cold.

I only wear it out when it looks fabulous (although as my hair has gotten longer, this is happening much more frequently!). So, I might wear my hair out 10 hours in a week, but it's the 10 hours I care most about looking good for. If I notice my ends are feeling dry, I immediately make an effort to actively PS.

Kimmaytube's routine of wearing twists during the week then wearing a twistout during the weekend would be a good reggie for those who do medium term PS.

PRODUCT BUILDUP

This was a big problem for me. I got out of the buildup/remove routine and now I just use mud wash, butters/oils, AVG, and moisturize w/ water.

SENSIBLE TRIMMING

I needed to trim more frequently while I was transitioning and growing out damage. Now, I am trimming every 3-6 months (using the Morrocco Method calendar). IMO 6-8 weeks if you want longer hair is too frequent for even fine hair that isn't damaged and isn't getting tons of heat, etc.

almond eyes

When it comes to fine hair there is definetely a difference between how one should treat natural fine hair vs relaxed fine hair.

I am a relaxed fine-haired, high density and low porosity 4a/4b and pieces of 3cs throughout my hair and my lower nape area.

Detangling: I cannot detangle straight out of the shower and finger combing cannot be done by raking my fingers down my hair. I have to pull apart my strands. I try and detangle my hair with a comb on non wash days every two to three days or my hair gets tangled.

Protein: I cannot use strong proteins. Mild ones at best. I just started using the aphogee two minute reconstructor and I cannot say whether or not this has helped reduce hair shedding.

Baggying/Steaming: Not for me, left my relaxed hair very limp.

Dusting vs. trimming: I definetely think my hair does better with dusting. And dusting must be done on dry hair. With my hair texture unless my hair is worn bone straight, it is hard to tell about trimming. So I just do light dustings weekly when I see hair strands looking weak after braiding it in four big braids.

Product: I had to give up the Qhemet biologics and anything with aloe. These products cause stickiness and my shed hair drops quickly. When I was also natural, this used to happen with me using anything glycerin. I just figured this out when I decided to experiment after I washed my hair and braided it up in four big plaits and without product and I had no hairs coming out.

Oils: I get a break out with coconut oil. And oil rinses cause my hair to get stringy and messy and hard to rinse out. I only use a dime size of Morrocan oil after my hair has air dried and then use a dime size ever other day or two after I detangle.

Application: Very important to be light handed and not grab my hair. I used to think that my hair had to be greasy to be moist.

Protective styling: I usually keep my hair in four big loose plaits underneath a hairtie. For work will do one big braided bun and very careful with my hair tools and do not grab my hair back tightly. I rarely wear my hair out unless it is worn straight and I am careful about my hair rubbing against my clothing. I save the wearing my hair out for special night time occasions.

Extensions/Weaves: As my hair gets longer it causes breakage and matting so I stopped that a year ago. Also no corn rows even without extensions it causes too much tension on my edges.

Stretching: I tried it for five months but then as my hair grew past SL, I cannot stretch again. I had a lot of growth last month and relaxing at 12 weeks did my hair a bit of harm. So now will relax between 10-11 weeks.

I have to be dilligent that relaxer only goes on roots and not my already processed hair.

Shampoos: I concentrate on my scalp. And focus on co washing. I am very careful with using strong water pressure and also too hot or cold water. I have gone back to now washing in sections. I found out that I have to take my time when my hair is wet. Also, I have to cowash once a week. I tried waiting every two weeks but my hair was too dry. Most shampoos even the natural ones cause hair tangles so if I use a shampoo I usually have to braid my hair to wash or concentrate on the scalp.

Heating tools: I can only use the tension blow out method on medium heat with a good heat protectant. I only do this now four times a year at best. I never use a flat iron or curling irons because that melts my hair away.

Twists: Look anorexic on me and cause ssks.

Best,

Almond Eyes

Babygrowth

Hi ladies! Fine haired lady checking in. My hair is also medium dense, relaxed/texlaxed and normal to high porosity (color treated ends). I'm learning a lot. I will say that for me so far I have learned that my hair loves airdrying in plaits and I HAVE to detangle in the shower with conditioner in my hair under running water. Anytime I try to do it differently I have breakage. I can airdry hanging straight down using a scarf but it takes a longer time for my roots to dry and my ends just don't feel as good. I shampoo wash/DC weekly and would be okay with just that but I like to play in water and my hair likes cowashing so I do that 2x a week as well. I said I was going to incorporate protein weekly and never did but now I'm going to try it and see if it makes a difference. I need more protein DC'ers. So far I have SSI reconstructor and Marie Deans Olive, wheat and berry intense protein DC tx. I love both of these. In June I will start rollersetting because my hair loves it and I'm over airdrying just want some more length first. I was going to try bunning but Idk if I want to anymore. My hair never really had a problem holding curls but did it better in flexi's and roller sets. I was dusting every 8-9weeks but I found that I wasn't keeping length that way so I modified it to every 10-12weeks. I wasn't having split ends so no need to dust so often. Also no more coloring my hair unless its with Henna my strands just can't take box or salon coloring without crazy extra steps I don't have time for. LCOB/P/Serum is awesome for my hair thanks EnExitStageLeft! Baggying with a bonnet is a no no for me. I can only do it whether its all day or overnight, in a plastic cap tied down with a scarf with my hair in plaits. If my hair is loose my newgrowth just doesn't reap the benefits. (Wierd, I know)

Vintagecoilylocks

Thanks for this thread.
Checking in.

I think the main issue we have with our hair is how to keep manipulation low AND in a protective style because when you have fine hair it's hard to keep it looking neat for more than a few days. Those fine hairs just start to fly up and frizz out of those twists, plaits or cainrows. You can look like Miss Fuzzy even though you just twisted 3 days ago.

Constant moisturising for weeks without washing just doesn't work because products easily build up on our hair, even with the most natural of products.

Detangling and washing is a very delicate process and CANNOT be rushed (I have just come to terms with this and being patient and light-handed is something that is learnt and takes practice)

Finger detangling is not quite what it says on the tin. When you have fine hair you have to pull the strands apart individually before you can even think about raking your fingers through it (this I have also recently learned. When ladies on here post about finger detangling they are not being specific in exactly what they mean). My hair is like a spiderweb that is meshed together - cannot rake my hands through that unless it's soaking wet and has a very slippery conditioner. Aussie Moist 3MM is the biz for that.
If you don't have time to detangle then don't do it. Leave it for when you do have time otherwise you will get alot of breakage hacking through the tangles/knots.

When you are viewing YouTube vids look for ones that have Fine Hair in the title. You will fine alot of tips specifically for you.

That's all for now!

Well it took me years to develope all this knowledge about my hair and I am still learning. I am fine and with 2-3 different textures to contend with. So its a challenge but so worth it. My hair is better longer. You are correct about the detangling. I am more or less pulling and untwisting hair rather than combing with my fingers. Braids have helped detangling. I have to redo them at least weekly. This is tedious. I so want to go to larger braids but the "spiderweb" effect is worst. Once the weather warms up I will try again but must stay on my game and detangle at least 3 times a week for that to work. Just to busy now for that. Maybe once my house is sold and at least tax season is over. Will keep you updated on that progress.

LadyPBC

Bless you for this thread coolsista-paris (subbing)! I believe I have fine hair and I'd love to learn how to take better care of it. When its cold winter/fall I wig it up. One of my friends was guessing that my hair must be down my back (towards my tail) because 2-3 years ago it seemed to be mid-back when straightened. Nope still trying to fully get to armpit length.

*Frisky*

Fine hair natural checking in...

I can relate to alot of things that have been posted. My hair loves protein treatments but doesn't like products that have protein that are left in like leave ins, gels, etc but that might of been because I was using cones at the same time but I still stray away from using them even though I don't do cones anymore. One thing that I use might be a little contradictory to this is the Aphogee Green Tea spray. I have really noticed a difference with breakage since I have been using it.