The orginal Fine hair thread 2013

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
you girls manage to wash every week!? i felt like it was too much manipulation and too much time.

i wash every 2 weeks. maybe im stuck because of that? my scalp doesnt itch and i use little products. no reason for build up.

so why is this hair stuck. ?

I wash once a week at the most. Lately (for NJoy's challenge) I've been trying to get in two co-washes (in large braids) per week just to remove the sulfur from my scalp. I only co-wash in large braids. My ends can't take all that extra manipulation. I typically only wash once per week. I can go up to two weeks without washing without a problem though. In between washes, I spritz my hair with water, moisturize with a cream and seal with an oil.

cynd

Fine hair natural checking in...

I can relate to alot of things that have been posted. My hair loves protein treatments but doesn't like products that have protein that are left in like leave ins, gels, etc but that might of been because I was using cones at the same time but I still stray away from using them even though I don't do cones anymore. One thing that I use might be a little contradictory to this is the Aphogee Green Tea spray. I have really noticed a difference with breakage since I have been using it.

*Frisky* how are you using the green tea spray? As a spritz on dry hair, or only on damp hair after washing?

sharifeh

Great thread. I haven't read the entire thing yet. But any fine haired ladies in here that have trouble stretching relaxers too long?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
When it comes to fine hair there is definetely a difference between how one should treat natural fine hair vs relaxed fine hair.

I am a relaxed fine-haired, high density and low porosity 4a/4b and pieces of 3cs throughout my hair and my lower nape area.

Protein: I cannot use strong proteins. Mild ones at best. I just started using the aphogee two minute reconstructor and I cannot say whether or not this has helped reduce hair shedding.

Baggying/Steaming: Not for me, left my relaxed hair very limp.

Dusting vs. trimming: I definetely think my hair does better with dusting. And dusting must be done on dry hair. With my hair texture unless my hair is worn bone straight, it is hard to tell about trimming. So I just do light dustings weekly when I see hair strands looking weak after braiding it in four big braids.

Protective styling: I usually keep my hair in four big loose plaits underneath a hairtie. For work will do one big braided bun and very careful with my hair tools and do not grab my hair back tightly. I rarely wear my hair out unless it is worn straight and I am careful about my hair rubbing against my clothing. I save the wearing my hair out for special night time occasions.

Stretching: I tried it for five months but then as my hair grew past SL, I cannot stretch again. I had a lot of growth last month and relaxing at 12 weeks did my hair a bit of harm. So now will relax between 10-11 weeks.
I just wanted to piggyback on some of these great points you make almond eyes
Relaxers
You are very correct in the (sometimes) inability to stretch relaxers with fine hair. I am natural now, but remember how weak the demarcation line was. Any type of manipulation from washing to just running my fingers through it would cause SEVERE breakage after the 3rd month mark. And I mean hands COVERED in hair. I would regain a little thickness by retouching around the 10week mark.

Cornrows can cause damage on the rest of the hair not just the edges on fine hair. I just found this out, even with loose cornrows. They dont really protect the ends either because all along the exposed cornrow length there are ends just rubbing up against each other and stuff when you lay down, rest your head on your sofa, etc. The tension on the sides of the parts can cause the hair to break at the root if too tight or left too long. :nono:

Baggying/Steaming: Fine hair doesn't like to be wet for very long. I tried baggying and had a lot of ends breaking off. I also get this when washing, wet styling (ie, installing twists on wet hair) which also tells me time to up the protein. I rarely manipulate wet. Letting it get 50% dry first before styling seems to cause the least trouble.

Bunning
Can cause hair to break at the point where I put the bun :ohwell:. Eg, a high bun (whether phony or real) can cause fine hair to break at the crown--near the root! Not at the ends. I don't think buns are safe for shorter fine-haired ladies (like me). Best when the crown reaches full NL (that means the nape will probably be full SL to CBL) and you dont have to pull so tight to make it all fit.

sharifeh

Nix08 said:
KiWiStyle I wish I had discovered that buns were not my friend earlier...Year one my hair wasn't long enough to bun and I got great retention and hardly any splits. Year two I felt all cool because I could finally bun and did so a lot and had to trim due to splits often. Now in year 3 I'm back to updo's mainly because DH said that he wasn't a fan of buns :look: (neither was I but did it for the so called health of my hair), and I'm noticing that I hardly have any splits.

Nix08

What do you ladies mean when you say updos as opposed to buns?

sharifeh

Nix08 said:
@cynd a version of this is how I wear my hair most days...except I use a larger claw clip and twist the back up and allow the hair there to just hang up and out (instead of that bun)...the first mini claw clip makes a front poof and the second one is closer than in this pic to the first one bringing the hair by my ears up....hopefully my explanation makes sense:

I agree if I could do @KiWiStyle's braid I'd be happy but I know that's well beyond my skill level:look:

Oh my bad I just saw this post Nix08

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
sharifeh I use to have trouble stretching as I would end up under processed and struggle with my ng but I'm now at 15 weeks and not having any troubles.

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
Ok so I'm fine haired natural, medium density, normal porosity mostly 4A, some 4b. I wear medium or large braids and twists. I m&s every other night with water, cream, and grapeseed oil. I believe i have less ssks due to 99% protective styling and keeping my moisture up.

@JulietWhiskey do you still use the Aphogee Green Tea? I got it and have used it twice so far. I can feel my hair strengthening on contact. I usually use AOGPB. I think i will use the spray on the weeks that I don't use GPB.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using LHCF

Froreal3

Sadly, I no longer use the Aphogee Green Tea. They changed the formula and not only is all the "good" stuff much further down on the list, they added a grip of 'cones and I'm not about that life.

It was heartbreaking, :nono:.

But I've found love in a hopeless place with Neutral Protein Filler, :kissing4:.

I use it in much the same way as I used the Green Tea. I dilute 4oz of NPF with 2oz of water, lightly mist my hair after a DC and refrigerate the rest, moisturize with my leave-in/styler and seal with my grease. I only use NPF after a DC so I use it about twice a month and I ensure that none of my other leave-in products have any protein in them whatsoever. I may experiment with adding some SAA and/or using the NPF in my DC cocktail. But so far, my hair is thriving and I'm definitely on track for BSL by the end of this year, :yay:!

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
wow. you really need à whole weekend to do all that isnt it?

i bet your hair is happy you do this. do you wash in sections? detangle with wet hair ?

i have some blue magic coconut. smells good but i stopped using it (afraid of thé petrolonium). im silly because it does lock moisture Well on my hair.

you wash every week then right?

i wash every 2 weeks. but i dont know if i'll change to 1 week.maybe it will give me.more moisture.

@coolsista-paris

Yep, I need a whole weekend to do my hair, :lol:! I cowash on Saturday night, rinse out the Whipped Shea Aloe on Sunday night and DC on Monday morning. And yes, my hair is very happy!

I only do this every other weekend because of my work schedule. If I tried to do other wise, ain't nobody got time for alldat!

And I understand the wariness around the Blue Magic Coconut grease. But it works really well with locking in moisture and it doesn't cause buildup in my hair, which I need since I'm a cowasher and only cowash every other week.

And I don't wash in sections. Both the Tingle Treat and Whipped
Shea Aloe detangle my hair so well that I don't need to worry about tangles when rinsing.

HTH!

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
OP, THANK YOU!!!! I was actually thinking about starting a thread about fine hair styling problems I'm having so this is right where I need to be.

Thank you to everyone who has already responded, I've only read one page and I've already been to church and back. So I figured, "let me stop and speak on what I see on the first page so I don't have one SUPER LONG post"

When I decided to embrace my curls I was so confused. I stopped relaxing in early 07 but I would always flat iron my iron and I was actually burning my hair straight and had no idea. So in the middle of last year when I started wearing my hair in twists outs and knots outs I didn't understand why I had so much damn hair but it looked so sparse. When I flat ironed it I was able to get it light, full, fluffy and with tons of volume. But my twists and curls looked.... sickly. Just like @Bublin, said. I can't keep my hair in twists or braids and style them in any which way because they all look so sad. And it's just frustrating because I have so much damn hair, and people always tell me all that pretty thick hair, can I have some etc... But you can't tell in twists/braids and twists outs etc...

I've been bunning through the winter, which has worked well for me. But as it was mentioned before wet bunning = birds nest. So I have to stretch and dry before I can successfully bun. Either that or I wet bun, don't let it dry all the way, take it down and twist for the night. I also adopted cowashing for the winter to keep my moisture levels up and I've fallen in love, so even though it's warming up in Atlanta I'm sticking to cowashing at least once a week. I try and go to the salon every 8 weeks, so I let them shampoo. (Or on the off chance that I want to straighten my hair myself then I'll shampoo my hair on my own)

@JulietWhiskey, did you post about Neutral Protein Filler in the March Hits and Misses thread. I remember reading about it and getting upset because I just bought Toppik protein leave-in from Sally's with no input from anyone here. Then after seeing that NPF got a favorable review on here and it was cheaper, I got upset :cry2:

I want to keep my curls but nightly twisting gets taxing as well, plus the daily manipulation worries me. My hair has been growing and retaining but I find that I've hit a slow spot so I started taking Vivisical. Only been on for a month and I haven't straightened since so I can't really weigh in on it's effectiveness.

Ok, off to read page 2

JBunnie

I believe I did post about it! Can you take back the other stuff?

cynd

I wash once a week at the most. Lately (for NJoy's challenge) I've been trying to get in two co-washes (in large braids) per week just to remove the sulfur from my scalp. I only co-wash in large braids. My ends can't take all that extra manipulation. I typically only wash once per week. I can go up to two weeks without washing without a problem though. In between washes, I spritz my hair with water, moisturize with a cream and seal with an oil.

Froreal3 do you undo your braids before you actually cowash or leave in them for the entire process? If you leave them in, do you undo them afterwards? I love cowashing and would like to do it more often but my hair knots and tangles something awful and my already low density hair just can't take it.

cynd

@cynd

I have only used it on wet hair after washing. I think it would feel kind of sticky on dry hair but I could be wrong.

Thanks *Frisky*, I recently purchased this and have only used it once after washing and thought I was missing out on using it more often. Will stick to doing that.

temfash

Subscribing to this post. I have fine hair, medium density, high porosity, with fine thin edges. My hair loves regular protein treatments, finger combing and low manipulation since I started incorporated regular dustings/trims my hair seems to be retaining length. I've been natural for over 10 years and I'm only now understanding my hairs needs. Better late than never.:perplexed

Last edited:

Bublin

So today I did something that I used to do all the time.

I used a satin pillow roller on the ends of my hair before I rolled it up into a bun. I used a large satin scrunchie to hold it in. I only use satin scrunchies in my hair, never a regular band.

This evening my ends were smooth and tangle free.

Oh....and I stretched my hair down and I've just passed the APL mark! :yay: (I never use heat so I don't know my true length)
How in the world I have retained I have no idea because I rip through my hair when I detangle and I always have broken hairs :look:
Now all I have to do is be ultra gentle whilst I detangle and BSL here I come.....:yep:

Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Froreal3 do you undo your braids before you actually cowash or leave in them for the entire process? If you leave them in, do you undo them afterwards? I love cowashing and would like to do it more often but my hair knots and tangles something awful and my already low density hair just can't take it.

I leave them in when i co-wash. I don't slather my braids in the conditioner like I do with my hair loose.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using LHCF

coolsista-paris

Oooh a massage challenge sounds lovely, I just purchased a new head massager yesterday and I think Im in love!!! :yep:

i used to have 2 objects home to massage scalp...after moving i never found them :-/

so i.just use my hands . without oil or à tiny oil once in à while

coolsista-paris

Does anyone use the Aphogee 2 min as a leave in or a moisturiser?
Would that be a bad idea?

i really dont know. i use it to detangle + dc/pre poo with it overnight. my hair comes out soft .

seems à bit scary but you never know. i shocked some with my overnight apoghee 2 min lol.

but it is kinda dangerous as à leave in i think.

Last edited:

coolsista-paris

@coolsista-paris

Yep, I need a whole weekend to do my hair, :lol:! I cowash on Saturday night, rinse out the Whipped Shea Aloe on Sunday night and DC on Monday morning. And yes, my hair is very happy!

I only do this every other weekend because of my work schedule. If I tried to do other wise, ain't nobody got time for alldat!

And I understand the wariness around the Blue Magic Coconut grease. But it works really well with locking in moisture and it doesn't cause buildup in my hair, which I need since I'm a cowasher and only cowash every other week.

And I don't wash in sections. Both the Tingle Treat and Whipped
Shea Aloe detangle my hair so well that I don't need to worry about tangles when rinsing.

HTH!

wow your detangling products seem GREAT !

i tried my blue magic coconut last night + today. my ends stayed Well moisturized and soft !!!

i also mainly co wash. sometimes use shampoo .à very gentle one that does not.dry hair out.and is only 3 euros.at thé grocery stores :)

garnier . smells so good no paraben no cônes no color . love it. and fights against hard water

Nonie

Does anyone use the Aphogee 2 min as a leave in or a moisturiser?
Would that be a bad idea?

Bublin I don't know Aphogee 2 Min but IIRC it's a reconstructor. I personally think it'd be a bad idea to use it as a leave-in. While reconstructors are gentler than pure protein, I believe you MUST use them as directed. It is not a leave-in. If you are looking for a leave-in with protein, there are leave-ins that are moisturizers but that also have protein (eg Infusium 23). Use those.

Some fine hair ladies find protein to be too much for them. Those of us who use reconstructors find them just right, but I believe they work for us because we follow rules. Making up rules as you go along is why problems happen.

Remember that 11 year old who burned off her hair. Everyone blamed the iron temperature, but I knew exactly what she did wrong. She took a product that isn't meant to be used with heat. A product that is a leave-in that is supposed to make split ends look better. She used it in a way directions don't say it can be used. So she basically created a "cook your hair" condition with it. Directions are there for a reason.

coolsista-paris

Bublin I don't know Aphogee 2 Min but IIRC it's a reconstructor. I personally think it'd be a bad idea to use it as a leave-in. While reconstructors are gentler than pure protein, I believe you MUST use them as directed. It is not a leave-in. If you are looking for a leave-in with protein, there are leave-ins that are moisturizers but that also have protein (eg Infusium 23). Use those.

Some fine hair ladies find protein to be too much for them. Those of us who use reconstructors find them just right, but I believe they work for us because we follow rules. Making up rules as you go along is why problems happen.

Remember that 11 year old who burned off her hair. Everyone blamed the iron temperature, but I knew exactly what she did wrong. She took a product that isn't meant to be used with heat. A product that is a leave-in that is supposed to make split ends look better. She used it in a way directions don't say it can be used. So she basically created a "cook your hair" condition with it. Directions are there for a reason.

lool i laughed at the " cook your hair condition" .that is what she did unfortunately . sad

sharifeh

Oh yeah i didnt post my info. I have fine hair extremely dense I always get overcharged at the salon
My hair is relaxed
Its a pain in the butt. Not sure about porosity pretty sure it's low...

GettingKinky

Hi Ladies-

I think I have fine hair, but maybe it's medium. My hair holds a curl well and I can definitely feel a strand of hair when I roll it between my fingers. On the other hand my hair is thinner than an unraveled thread and it's pretty frragile. How do I tell for sure?

Last edited:

EnExitStageLeft

Babygrowth

Girl isn't it awesome. Tangle seem to disappear when I do this method. I'm glad its working for someone else other then me. I thought it was all in my head for a second :lol:.