The orginal Fine hair thread 2013

tinkat

I would like to be tagged also.

Wait, be positive, keep believing, and all will surely be yours. Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

hareluvah

I finally read through all 61 pages of this wonderful thread!!!!! And please also tag me for whoever will start the 2014 thread.

coolsista-paris

hey ladies!!!

ive been so busy. i always write from my cell phone. il soon on vacation.
if i find time then( next week after christmas) then yeah, i will create the 2014 thread and tag you girls asking :)

hear from you soon ;-)

almond eyes

I ended up with a set back. It cost me past APL to collarbone. All in an instant. The protein conditioner I guess I was using was too strong after my relaxer and my hair clumped together and because my hair is so fine when I separated it all just came out. And I had not had time to do a good protein treatment since I left the States.

I have decided to make a controversial decision. One of the reasons in the past why relaxers always broke my fine hair apart especially in the crown to the back of my hair was because it was so dense and so much that I never got an even application. My last relaxer done in 2012 the hair dresser left it for too long and my fine strands got even finer which meant when he combed it when it was wet, it was weak and fell. Despite that I was careful and it grew but then I had to admit the back of my hair never quite recovered from the over processing.

So, I have decided to transition the entire crown to the back of my hair to natural. And keep my entire front part texturised. So one half natural one half texturised.

It was a hard decision because I didn't want to cut off the front part which is growing and looks nice with the mild relaxer which brings out my slight waves. The crown to the back of my hair has different textures and responds better without a relaxer. The back of my hair used to be thick and with a relaxer it was a lot thinner.

I guess some women might be thinking, I can't have the best of both worlds. My friend who has locks for ten years does not lock the entire front of her hair, she gets that braided into small intricate cornrows and the rest is locked up to her back by now. It looks fly.

Maybe in the future, I may decide to let the whole front be natural but for now this is my decision.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Ivonnovi

1. IF you'd like to be Tagged for the 2014 Thread, thank her in the post below [like I did :yep:] to make it easier to keep up.

2. coolsista-paris : Tag me, tag me! I'm unlocking my fine hair and will need all the tips/help I can get.

hey ladies!!!

ive been so busy. i always write from my cell phone. il soon on vacation.
if i find time then( next week after christmas) then yeah, i will create the 2014 thread and tag you girls asking :)

hear from you soon ;-)

Just my 2cents.

Gryphyn

I ended up with a set back. It cost me past APL to collarbone. All in an instant. The protein conditioner I guess I was using was too strong after my relaxer and my hair clumped together and because my hair is so fine when I separated it all just came out. And I had not had time to do a good protein treatment since I left the States.

I have decided to make a controversial decision. One of the reasons in the past why relaxers always broke my fine hair apart especially in the crown to the back of my hair was because it was so dense and so much that I never got an even application. My last relaxer done in 2012 the hair dresser left it for too long and my fine strands got even finer which meant when he combed it when it was wet, it was weak and fell. Despite that I was careful and it grew but then I had to admit the back of my hair never quite recovered from the over processing.

So, I have decided to transition the entire crown to the back of my hair to natural. And keep my entire front part texturised. So one half natural one half texturised.

It was a hard decision because I didn't want to cut off the front part which is growing and looks nice with the mild relaxer which brings out my slight waves. The crown to the back of my hair has different textures and responds better without a relaxer. The back of my hair used to be thick and with a relaxer it was a lot thinner.

I guess some women might be thinking, I can't have the best of both worlds. My friend who has locks for ten years does not lock the entire front of her hair, she gets that braided into small intricate cornrows and the rest is locked up to her back by now. It looks fly.

Maybe in the future, I may decide to let the whole front be natural but for now this is my decision.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I don't think that's controversial at all! I have a few friends who are natural but texturize their edges. Nothing wrong with that :) I think letting your problem areas go natural is a good idea. Sometimes relaxers can be tough on our fine stands.

almond eyes

I don't think that's controversial at all! I have a few friends who are natural but texturize their edges. Nothing wrong with that :) I think letting your problem areas go natural is a good idea. Sometimes relaxers can be tough on our fine stands.

I didn't realise that quite a few women did this. I am definitely going to go down this route and probably go completely natural and just texurise my edges.

I have been in denial I guess that my strands were too fine for a relaxer. When my hair is wet they would look like strings and my mother was like, what happened to your hair. Even though I maintained it I was worried like the longer it got the more stringier it seemed and it would snap so easily.

Like I said no big chop I will just transition the entire hair out. I am not upset, just glad that I now understand my hair a bit better. I feel like just when I think I understand my hair I get a set back. Fine hair is the worst because any wrong move can drastically spoil your hair.

I guess I have to accept full relaxing, colour and strong proteins are not my friend.

Best,
Almond Eyes

JazziLady!

I ended up with a set back. It cost me past APL to collarbone. All in an instant. The protein conditioner I guess I was using was too strong after my relaxer and my hair clumped together and because my hair is so fine when I separated it all just came out. And I had not had time to do a good protein treatment since I left the States. I have decided to make a controversial decision. One of the reasons in the past why relaxers always broke my fine hair apart especially in the crown to the back of my hair was because it was so dense and so much that I never got an even application. My last relaxer done in 2012 the hair dresser left it for too long and my fine strands got even finer which meant when he combed it when it was wet, it was weak and fell. Despite that I was careful and it grew but then I had to admit the back of my hair never quite recovered from the over processing. So, I have decided to transition the entire crown to the back of my hair to natural. And keep my entire front part texturised. So one half natural one half texturised. It was a hard decision because I didn't want to cut off the front part which is growing and looks nice with the mild relaxer which brings out my slight waves. The crown to the back of my hair has different textures and responds better without a relaxer. The back of my hair used to be thick and with a relaxer it was a lot thinner. I guess some women might be thinking, I can't have the best of both worlds. My friend who has locks for ten years does not lock the entire front of her hair, she gets that braided into small intricate cornrows and the rest is locked up to her back by now. It looks fly. Maybe in the future, I may decide to let the whole front be natural but for now this is my decision. Best, Almond Eyes

Sounds like a smart move. Which protein did you use?

IMFOCSD

Thanks for this thread.
Checking in.

I think the main issue we have with our hair is how to keep manipulation low AND in a protective style because when you have fine hair it's hard to keep it looking neat for more than a few days. Those fine hairs just start to fly up and frizz out of those twists, plaits or cainrows. You can look like Miss Fuzzy even though you just twisted 3 days ago.

Constant moisturising for weeks without washing just doesn't work because products easily build up on our hair, even with the most natural of products.

Detangling and washing is a very delicate process and CANNOT be rushed (I have just come to terms with this and being patient and light-handed is something that is learnt and takes practice)

Finger detangling is not quite what it says on the tin. When you have fine hair you have to pull the strands apart individually before you can even think about raking your fingers through it (this I have also recently learned. When ladies on here post about finger detangling they are not being specific in exactly what they mean). My hair is like a spiderweb that is meshed together - cannot rake my hands through that unless it's soaking wet and has a very slippery conditioner. Aussie Moist 3MM is the biz for that.
If you don't have time to detangle then don't do it. Leave it for when you do have time otherwise you will get alot of breakage hacking through the tangles/knots.

When you are viewing YouTube vids look for ones that have Fine Hair in the title. You will fine alot of tips specifically for you.

That's all for now!

sigh this is all so me! team fine hurr..

WYSIWYG

Hello Ladies!

I've been lurking in this thread for the past 8 or 9 months and finally paid my $6.50 just to say thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!! :yay:

I've been natural for over 10 years, but could never seem to break through the collar-bone length barrier.

Like many, I didn't even realize my hair is fine. My whole life I've been told my hair is super thick. Actually, I have medium density, but super coily 4c hair. I treated my hair very roughly to "tame" my coils. To be honest, I was treating my hair with contempt as I tried to force it look and behave like other people's natural hair. My hair wasn't having it.

The tips in this thread have allowed me to retain moisture and drastically reduce breakage. I'm learning to appreciate my hair for what it is instead of feeling defeated by what it isn't. Ironically, by not fighting so hard against my hair, it's now 1 inch past my shoulders - for the first time since I was 13 years old! When I wore my hair down for New Year's Eve, my husband said it felt luxurious (and we almost didn't make it out of the house... lol).

My favorite fine hair savers:

Soaking my ends in oil before taking down braids and twists - This all but eliminated my usual "tiny C-shaped" breakage.

Finger detangling (Weekly) - I wear a white t-shirt while doing this so I can easily monitor any breakage.

Coconut oil pre-pooing (Weekly) - My hair love, love, loves this!

Neutral Protein Filler (Semi-Monthly) - I dilute it according to directions and spray it all through my hair 20 minutes before washing - Thank you, JulietWhiskey for this amazing tip! :notworthy

Low-poo with diluted Trader Joe's Nourish Spa shampoo (Weekly) - My sensitive scalp can't take co-washing, so I stopped trying to "make fetch happen".

Wash my hair in loose twists - this was a major game changer.

Deep Condition with TJ Nourish Spa conditioner mixed with avocado oil (Weekly)

Moisturize w/ Kimmaytube leave-in recipe (As Needed)

Seal my ends with a castor oil/grape seed oil mix (As Needed)

No direct heat - no matter how careful I thought I was with heat, these baby-fine strands can't take it. I had to accept the fact and move on from there.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Again, thank you all for educating me on caring for this fabulously fine hair. I look forward to growing to new lengths with you all.

:rosebud:

coolsista-paris

hey all!!

happy new year! ive been busy!!!! and im still busy ( applying everywhere for a new job) i need to leave my actual company before i die! so i need to change jobs!!

anyway the fîne hair thread 2014 will be done this weeked :)

coolsista-paris

Hello Ladies! I've been lurking in this thread for the past 8 or 9 months and finally paid my $6.50 just to say thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!! :yay: I've been natural for over 10 years, but could never seem to break through the collar-bone length barrier. Like many, I didn't even realize my hair is fine. My whole life I've been told my hair is super thick. Actually, I have medium density, but super coily 4c hair. I treated my hair very roughly to "tame" my coils. To be honest, I was treating my hair with contempt as I tried to force it look and behave like other people's natural hair. My hair wasn't having it. The tips in this thread have allowed me to retain moisture and drastically reduce breakage. I'm learning to appreciate my hair for what it is instead of feeling defeated by what it isn't. Ironically, by not fighting so hard against my hair, it's now 1 inch past my shoulders - for the first time since I was 13 years old! When I wore my hair down for New Year's Eve, my husband said it felt luxurious (and we almost didn't make it out of the house... lol). My favorite fine hair savers: Soaking my ends in oil before taking down braids and twists - This all but eliminated my usual "tiny C-shaped" breakage. Finger detangling (Weekly) - I wear a white t-shirt while doing this so I can easily monitor any breakage. Coconut oil pre-pooing (Weekly) - My hair love, love, loves this! Neutral Protein Filler (Semi-Monthly) - I dilute it according to directions and spray it all through my hair 20 minutes before washing - Thank you, JulietWhiskey for this amazing tip! :notworthy Low-poo with diluted Trader Joe's Nourish Spa shampoo (Weekly) - My sensitive scalp can't take co-washing, so I stopped trying to "make fetch happen". Wash my hair in loose twists - this was a major game changer. Deep Condition with TJ Nourish Spa conditioner mixed with avocado oil (Weekly) Moisturize w/ Kimmaytube leave-in recipe (As Needed) Seal my ends with a castor oil/grape seed oil mix (As Needed) No direct heat - no matter how careful I thought I was with heat, these baby-fine strands can't take it. I had to accept the fact and move on from there. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Again, thank you all for educating me on caring for this fabulously fine hair. I look forward to growing to new lengths with you all. :rosebud:

welcome in !!!!

im happy to see things are Working for your hair. keep up the good Work

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

Ladies, joining this thread. My hair is fine, medium density, low porosity. It's grown to wHip from wet bunning with glycerin and aloe spritzes but I'm struggling to get it to tailbone.

My sides grow faster than my crown or nape, unfortunately. I thought the constant bunning was the cause and I no longer bun every day.

I took 4-5 inches off in October 2012 and it's grown back nicely. 1/8" trims every 4 weeks, water spritzes daily and twisting seems to be working right now. My hair doesn't do well with braids I realize and it breaks more easily. The daily unknown is how much moisture and sealing my hair needs. Right now, I think 2x daily is working ... I'll see how that changes as weather moves to spring.

My hair likes flatironing -- I think because the hair doesn't curl on itself and my scalp oil more easily reaches the ends. When I flat iron, I have minimal to no breakage but I don't have 2 hours a week to flatiron.

Thanks for this thread! I'm learning a lot from reading your posts.

This has been on my mind for a long time

Flatiron to reduce breakage/tangles

To reach waist length did you have to keep your hair straight for long periods of time?

This would prevent you from using your moisture spray daily right?

charmtreese

I've changed up my regimen for my hair a little. The following changes seem to be helping with detangling, reduced breakage, and time:

1. Weekly washes instead of bi-weekly - after polling LHCF it seemed that washing fine hair at least weekly was the preferred method. For me more frequent washing allows for better detangling sessions and less hair breakage.

2. Using Diluted ACV - I use ACV as a part of my pre-poo, ACV helps smooth my cuticle and really helps with finger detangling.

3. Finger detangling - even though my combs are seamless finger detangling allows for me to actually feel tangles and knots in my hair and take care of them accordingly.

4. Heated Coconut oil - using warm coconut oil in my pre-poo gives added slip and really helps in the detangling process, it also works as a HOT, so it pulls double duty.

5. Applying reconstructor over pre-poo - after my pre-poo has soaked in (30 or more minutes). I apply my reconstructor over that with heat. *time saver

6. Applying DC on towel dried hair and then steam it in - I use a lot less product by doing it this way

WYSIWYG

I've changed up my regimen for my hair a little. The following changes seem to be helping with detangling, reduced breakage, and time:

1. Weekly washes instead of bi-weekly - after polling LHCF it seemed that washing fine hair at least weekly was the preferred method. For me more frequent washing allows for better detangling sessions and less hair breakage.

2. Using Diluted ACV - I use ACV as a part of my pre-poo, ACV helps smooth my cuticle and really helps with finger detangling.

3. Finger detangling - even though my combs are seamless finger detangling allows for me to actually feel tangles and knots in my hair and take care of them accordingly.

4. Heated Coconut oil - using warm coconut oil in my pre-poo gives added slip and really helps in the detangling process, it also works as a HOT, so it pulls double duty.

5. Applying reconstructor over pre-poo - after my pre-poo has soaked in (30 or more minutes). I apply my reconstructor over that with heat. *time saver

6. Applying DC on towel dried hair and then steam it in - I use a lot less product by doing it this way

I do number 5 and I love it! My hair feels like cashmere afterwards. I pre-poo with coconut oil over-night, then spray my hair with diluted Neutral Protein Filler, let dry 20 min., then shampoo. My hair feels strong yet incredibly soft. Love!

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

I do number 5 and I love it! My hair feels like cashmere afterwards. I pre-poo with coconut oil over-night, then spray my hair with diluted Neutral Protein Filler, let dry 20 min., then shampoo. My hair feels strong yet incredibly soft. Love!

May I ask where you purchase neutral protein filler?

Or heck what that is? (Good for extremely high porosity strands?)

TIA!

bronxchick

Candied Yam
regina07,

Thank you for sharing your suspicions about the bun. I have crown/nape issues and I think it's the bun as well. What styles are you using now for everyday?

WYSIWYG

May I ask where you purchase neutral protein filler?

Or heck what that is? (Good for extremely high porosity strands?)

TIA!

@tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

I got mine at Sally Beauty Supply. The 4 oz. bottle was between $6 and $7 and will last a good long time since you dilute it.

Stylists use Neutral Protein Filler before chemical services to even the porosity of hair so colors and perms take uniformly from root to tip. It's sort of like plastering, sanding and priming your livingroom walls to fill in holes and cracks before painting. It's great for high porosity hair. (I still have about 2 inches of heat-compromised, high porosity ends that I'm slowly cutting away and NPF has been a lifesaver.)

After using it the first time, I loved how strong yet flexible my hair felt, but I had to really double down on the moisture afterwards. I found that pre-pooing with a penetrating oil (coconut is my pref) the night before and spraying the diluted NPF over top of that 20 min. before shampooing gives me the best balance of strength and softness. Now I use it only if my shed hairs are starting to feel too elastic when I stretch them (usually after 4-6 weeks).

I hope this helps!

I used to swear by Nexxus Emergency, but this works much better for my fine strands. Also, it's way cheaper!

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Those with 4c normal to hi porosity, who decided to relax, texlax or texturize again, how is that going now with your new lhcf knowledge? How long have you been back on the creamy crack ?

Can't believe I am really considering this again....

mshoneyfly

Those with 4c normal to hi porosity, who decided to relax, texlax or texturize again, how is that going now with your new lhcf knowledge? How long have you been back on the creamy crack ? Can't believe I am really considering this again.... ____________ *.~.*Sent from a distant Galaxy in the Unicorn-verse*.~.*

DarkJoy
I was never natural but am transitioning from bone straight to texturized. Leaving that extra texture has been a Godsend for my fine strands. My hair seems so much fuller...and yes, thicker with all my new LHCF knowledge. I use Just For Me texture softener and I really like it. I can now see the big diff in texture in diff areas of my head and am learning how to target them for better growth and thickness.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
@tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

I got mine at Sally Beauty Supply. The 4 oz. bottle was between $6 and $7 and will last a good long time since you dilute it.

Stylists use Neutral Protein Filler before chemical services to even the porosity of hair so colors and perms take uniformly from root to tip. It's sort of like plastering, sanding and priming your livingroom walls to fill in holes and cracks before painting. It's great for high porosity hair. (I still have about 2 inches of heat-compromised, high porosity ends that I'm slowly cutting away and NPF has been a lifesaver.)

After using it the first time, I loved how strong yet flexible my hair felt, but I had to really double down on the moisture afterwards. I found that pre-pooing with a penetrating oil (coconut is my pref) the night before and spraying the diluted NPF over top of that 20 min. before shampooing gives me the best balance of strength and softness. Now I use it only if my shed hairs are starting to feel too elastic when I stretch them (usually after 4-6 weeks).

I hope this helps!

I used to swear by Nexxus Emergency, but this works much better for my fine strands. Also, it's way cheaper!

I have had this for two months and have yet to use it. I will use it this weekend when I wash my hair

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Thanks mshoneyfly!

I've had low retention really trying to do this au naturel (5 years?) and on the HHJ (2 years). I'm not seeing much difference in retention for me. It IS longer than it was after the BC but nothing spectacular. I mean the teas and aurvedics have thickened my hair but the ends just snag so bad being so tightly kinky about 85%+ shrinkage (ok, nappy, let's just say it :duck: ) it's like I'm treading water. Then there's the HIH disease lol

However, last month with flatironing and setting I noticed more retention! Ha! But doing that every week (I revert real quick) is harsh and know from history breakage is a risk.

So the question is do I wanna just loosen the texture a little bit and continue with how i've been styling to see what happens or give it more time? :scratchchin: