The orginal Fine hair thread 2013

NGraceO

Those with 4c normal to hi porosity, who decided to relax, texlax or texturize again, how is that going now with your new lhcf knowledge? How long have you been back on the creamy crack ? Can't believe I am really considering this again.... ____________ *.~.*Sent from a distant Galaxy in the Unicorn-verse*.~.*

4c texlaxed previously natural gal here!! :wave:

I texlaxed November 2012 after five years natural because I was just fed up. :lol: my shrinkage was overwhelming and consumed my life (I'm dramatic) and I kept my hair stretched 99% of the time for that reason, so I wouldn't have to deal with my hair.

Being texlaxed has been great, but not without it's setbacks. I've had to learn my hair over again, but of course, the knowledge I previously obtained was very useful, as I still have a very similar regimen to natural me (ie. washing my hair in plaited sections); the biggest difference is the lack of shrinkage, which honestly, was my biggest enemy.

I did experience setbacks as is normal when you are learning. When I first texlaxed, I had a lot of residual damage from from how I treated my hair when I was natural that I had to get rid of (ssk, left over splits, etc).

Lastly, being fine-haired and highly porous has made getting a hold on my split ends difficult, but I am determined to prove to myself I can achieve waist length as a texlaxed head.

That was a lot. HTH. Lol

mshoneyfly

DarkJoy I do get a few shedded SSKs Im guessing right at the demarcation line but they slide out pretty easily. I try to use 1 product with cones each week and this seems to help. My split ends are soo much better after 2 times using the Split Ender. I also started using Tresemme Split Remedy conditioner after I found an article that says it actually repairs/binds them back together. The JFM texture softener has really good instructions to help you decide how much texture you want to keep and how long to leave it on; plus Im a highly experienced self relaxer. I dont do much smoothing and thats how I accomplish the look I want.

ETA: wouldnt take anything for my ceramide oils either!
I LOVE this HHJ!!

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Thanks @NGraceO

Just looking at that siggie and your retention :lick: gives me hope. Your story has given lots of insight and your sharing is appreciated! Hadnt thought of having to deal with ssks after processing but you're right! More to think about....

Splits are always gonna be a problem. It was a problem when I was bonelaxed as a teen, texlaxed off & on between late 20s - early 30s and very natural these last few years. Nature of the fine-haired beast, I suppose...

I remember once when I was bone-laxed I got to CBL/APL once and that waas because I had my hair 'trimmed' every month at the shop. I realize now she was just dusting. She told me it was very important because my hair was 'thin' as she put it.

Last edited:

krissyhair

I wanted to share this fine hair picture of myself. Does anyone else have hair density and strand thickness that resembles mine?

Attachments

• finehairscalp.jpg
    finehairscalp.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 70

regina07

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT - I was planning to post to this thread today and I find your post!

To get to waist, I co-washed every 2 days, M&S then twisted into a bun or into 2 twists before putting it in a bun. I seldom had my hair flatironed but when I did I noticed I didn't have the breakage. It's when I started pushing for tailbone that I had to find a different routine because I'm struggling with no growth/retention in my crown and nape

I just had a friend flat iron my hair for MKLjr weekend. she used heat protector on it and a ceramic flat iron. My hair stayed straight for 2 weeks, minimal to no breakage and normal shedding.

I only moisture daily during the summer. Glycerin and cold weather is a bad combo for my hair! What worked for me was brushing my ends with a wet brush every 2-3 days, then sealing them with castor oil before twisting my hair. I don't like my hair bone straight and doing this gave me slight waves on the ends without my hair reverting

What I realize now is the short hairs from my crown and nape would get tangled in the longer hairs and all hell was breaking loose. When my hair is flat ironed, the short hairs lay flat or I can twist them separately out of the way. So I think my lack of progress is from the tangling of hair lengths and flatironing reduces that.

I know a lot of fine hair ladies don't like heat. My hair tolerates heat, especially if I'm doing it every 2 weeks and follow it with a deep conditioning treatment.

This has been on my mind for a long time

Flatiron to reduce breakage/tangles

To reach waist length did you have to keep your hair straight for long periods of time?

This would prevent you from using your moisture spray daily right?

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT - I was planning to post to this thread today and I find your post! To get to waist, I co-washed every 2 days, M&S then twisted into a bun or into 2 twists before putting it in a bun. I seldom had my hair flatironed but when I did I noticed I didn't have the breakage. It's when I started pushing for tailbone that I had to find a different routine because I'm struggling with no growth/retention in my crown and nape I just had a friend flat iron my hair for MKLjr weekend. she used heat protector on it and a ceramic flat iron. My hair stayed straight for 2 weeks, minimal to no breakage and normal shedding. I only moisture daily during the summer. Glycerin and cold weather is a bad combo for my hair! What worked for me was brushing my ends with a wet brush every 2-3 days, then sealing them with castor oil before twisting my hair. I don't like my hair bone straight and doing this gave me slight waves on the ends without my hair reverting What I realize now is the short hairs from my crown and nape would get tangled in the longer hairs and all hell was breaking loose. When my hair is flat ironed, the short hairs lay flat or I can twist them separately out of the way. So I think my lack of progress is from the tangling of hair lengths and flatironing reduces that. I know a lot of fine hair ladies don't like heat. My hair tolerates heat, especially if I'm doing it every 2 weeks and follow it with a deep conditioning treatment.

regina07 I hope you don't mind me asking. What is your hair type? If you don't really know or took the time to research, can you take a guess? The reason I'm asking is I'm trying to get my DD's natural, fine, 4b hair passed the SL/APL plateau and I can't imagine CW her hair every two days and loose. Her shrinkage is insane and it takes a lot of time to wash and DC in lots of sections to keep it stretched as much as possible. I think if she had a looser texture, I can CW more often. She could even do it herself in the shower as you do it. I am having the most difficult time getting her hair beyond APL.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
@regina07 I hope you don't mind me asking. What is your hair type? If you don't really know or took the time to research, can you take a guess? The reason I'm asking is I'm trying to get my DD's natural, fine, 4b hair passed the SL/APL plateau and I can't imagine CW her hair every two days and loose. Her shrinkage is insane and it takes a lot of time to wash and DC in lots of sections to keep it stretched as much as possible. I think if she had a looser texture, I can CW more often. She could even do it herself in the shower as you do it. I am having the most difficult time getting her hair beyond APL.

Hoping someone answers this. KiWiStyle, your DD's hair is exactly my hair type with the same problem. I reached CBL last summer in the longer layers but had to trim back. It shrinks from CBL to a 2" TWA if that. Split end and SSK city... :ohwell:

coolsista-paris

Thanks mshoneyfly! I've had low retention really trying to do this au naturel (5 years?) and on the HHJ (2 years). I'm not seeing much difference in retention for me. It IS longer than it was after the BC but nothing spectacular. I mean the teas and aurvedics have thickened my hair but the ends just snag so bad being so tightly kinky about 85%+ shrinkage (ok, nappy, let's just say it :duck: ) it's like I'm treading water. Then there's the HIH disease lol However, last month with flatironing and setting I noticed more retention! Ha! But doing that every week (I revert real quick) is harsh and know from history breakage is a risk. So the question is do I wanna just loosen the texture a little bit and continue with how i've been styling to see what happens or give it more time? :scratchchin:
blow dry tension method low to normal heat. ( not high) and to blow dry When hair is like 50 to 70% air dried. using serum . dusting regulary. these tips had me retain well when natural. i had better retention that my no heat journey..... wish i had tried earlier. my hair broke a lot t the croWn (buns always placed at the same place)! biggest setback ever. i relaxed in december and im enjoying for the moment.

eta: i used to tension blow dry every 2 weeks

Last edited:

melahnee

what do you guys consider this length to be? also, how do you guys combat ends like these? :nono: These ssk's are killin' me and I'm sick of dusting so often:wallbash:

Attachments

• Resampled_2014-02-09_12-56-24_142.jpg
    Resampled_2014-02-09_12-56-24_142.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 74

NefertariBlu

Thanks @mshoneyfly!

I've had low retention really trying to do this au naturel (5 years?) and on the HHJ (2 years). I'm not seeing much difference in retention for me. It IS longer than it was after the BC but nothing spectacular. I mean the teas and aurvedics have thickened my hair but the ends just snag so bad being so tightly kinky about 85%+ shrinkage (ok, nappy, let's just say it :duck: ) it's like I'm treading water. Then there's the HIH disease lol

However, last month with flatironing and setting I noticed more retention! Ha! But doing that every week (I revert real quick) is harsh and know from history breakage is a risk.

So the question is do I wanna just loosen the texture a little bit and continue with how i've been styling to see what happens or give it more time? :scratchchin:

DarkJoy, I swear we have the same hair! I blow dried my hair last month and kept it braided for pretty much the whole month and I noticed less shedding and breakage. I think the blow drying helps keep my hair stretched better, which makes my hair a lot softer. I blowdried today, which I am happy with the stretch of my hair.

The only thing I don't like about blow drying is that my hair feels extra dry after. Even on keeping it on low heat. I'm going to try blow drying on hair that is damp and not soaking wet. I think this might just help me retention

melahnee

DarkJoy , I dust at least once a month, sometimes twice. I dc a few times a month and I also use Aphogee...and I m&s my hair pretty much daily unless I'm weaved up. I flat-ironed my hair for the first time since august almost a month ago, and I just dc'd, aphogee'd, and I'm about to weave it up.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
FroReal I'm so excited! I just stretched my DD's hair and it came out great. After clarifying and DC with SD VS, I applied It's a 10 leave-in and Nairobi foam setting solution the did a rollerset under the Pibbs. After it dried I moisturized with QB AOAHC then sealed with EVCO. Her hair came out soft, manageable and most importantly, STRETCHED!!

Thanks for the advice! I didn't follow your regimen exactly but you gave me hope that it's possible.

Here are a few pics:
image-3852119701.jpgimage-463343573.jpg image-1089013766.jpg

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
KiWiStyle Ooo your baby's hair came out great! I don't usually stretch my hair with the rollers because I keep it in twists, which stretches it decently and keeps tangles at bay. The sets stretch it better than twists though. It is definitely easier to to certain styles on the stretched hair.

My dd's hair is 4c with probably 80% shrinkage...so I'm going to incorporate some more stretching techniques on her as well. :yep:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
KiWiStyle Ooo your baby's hair came out great! I don't usually stretch my hair with the rollers because I keep it in twists, which stretches it decently and keeps tangles at bay. The sets stretch it better than twists though. It is definitely easier to to certain styles on the stretched hair. My dd's hair is 4c with probably 80% shrinkage...so I'm going to incorporate some more stretching techniques on her as well. :yep:

Thanks! I usually keep her hair in twists as well, the 1st week loose in twists and the next two in a bun. I will continue to install twists but I'm starting to think her hair needs a break and to do something different. I don't really know if she's 4b or 4c but I think it's 4b because it does coil nicely.

I think you little girl will love her hair stretched!

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
@DarkJoy , I dust at least once a month, sometimes twice. I dc a few times a month and I also use Aphogee...and I m&s my hair pretty much daily unless I'm weaved up. I flat-ironed my hair for the first time since august almost a month ago, and I just dc'd, aphogee'd, and I'm about to weave it up.
SIgh...your reggie sounds eerily similar to mine... No comments here :ohwell:

I do wonder about the Aphogee. I used it for a couple months and it started to cause both me (4c) and DD (2b-3a) massive breakage. Probably the cones...

melahnee

SIgh...your reggie sounds eerily similar to mine... No comments here :ohwell:

I do wonder about the Aphogee. I used it for a couple months and it started to cause both me (4c) and DD (2b-3a) massive breakage. Probably the cones...

Well, my hair(very fine 3abc) has gotten in better shape and feels a lot better than it did last year. Honestly, I love Aphogee! It always does good for me. I don't think my hair is protein sensitive anymore after getting much of the dead ends off because I swear it does soo well with oil nowadays.

Overall, my retention is pretty good I think(esp. when I'm weaving it up/go a long time without heat/protective styling) my ends have just been a challenge because they are the last of a terrible bleaching/flat ironing mistake i made with an awful stylist lol.

coolsista-paris

DarkJoy, I swear we have the same hair! I blow dried my hair last month and kept it braided for pretty much the whole month and I noticed less shedding and breakage. I think the blow drying helps keep my hair stretched better, which makes my hair a lot softer. I blowdried today, which I am happy with the stretch of my hair. The only thing I don't like about blow drying is that my hair feels extra dry after. Even on keeping it on low heat. I'm going to try blow drying on hair that is damp and not soaking wet. I think this might just help me retention

this Will help. i had dry hair at first but when i started blow drying on damp hair it was soft and moisturized. also for me ic fantasia serum workee wonders having it soft and ot stayed moisturized for days.

coolsista-paris

what do you guys consider this length to be? also, how do you guys combat ends like these? :nono: These ssk's are killin' me and I'm sick of dusting so often:wallbash:

id say bsl too.
you should dust regulary if the ends are always getting ssk and a risk of splits.

reminding me of that im gonna dust tonight

regina07

Your DD's hair is gorgeous! I can see how fine it is and yes, stretching is important.
@FroReal I'm so excited! I just stretched my DD's hair and it came out great. After clarifying and DC with SD VS, I applied It's a 10 leave-in and Nairobi foam setting solution the did a rollerset under the Pibbs. After it dried I moisturized with QB AOAHC then sealed with EVCO. Her hair came out soft, manageable and most importantly, STRETCHED!!

Thanks for the advice! I didn't follow your regimen exactly but you gave me hope that it's possible.

Here are a few pics:
View attachment 245701View attachment 245703 View attachment 245705

NefertariBlu

this Will help. i had dry hair at first but when i started blow drying on damp hair it was soft and moisturized. also for me ic fantasia serum workee wonders having it soft and ot stayed moisturized for days.

Thank you. This thread has been the most helpful in working out my routine.

Last month l blow dried with a heat protectant, this month l didn't. I think that's where l went wrong this time. The ic heat serum is good. The hairdresser used it on me when she straightened my hair with good results.

In had the same problem with aphogee. My hair looks protein but l swear my hair kept on breaking using this. I gave the whole system away. I now only using ORS replenishing pak and mayonnaiseb for my protein and l love them. Especially the replenishing pak. It has cut down on breakage a lot.

If it wasn't for this thread l wouldn't be making this progress in fully understanding my hair. it has taken time but l'm getting there.

coolsista-paris

Thank you. This thread has been the most helpful in working out my routine. Last month l blow dried with a heat protectant, this month l didn't. I think that's where l went wrong this time. The ic heat serum is good. The hairdresser used it on me when she straightened my hair with good results. In had the same problem with aphogee. My hair looks protein but l swear my hair kept on breaking using this. I gave the whole system away. I now only using ORS replenishing pak and mayonnaiseb for my protein and l love them. Especially the replenishing pak. It has cut down on breakage a lot. If it wasn't for this thread l wouldn't be making this progress in fully understanding my hair. it has taken time but l'm getting there.

im happy you found this thread!

ill be making the 2014 thread tonight (french time).

so we can continue to get our hair beautiful and healthy!

ill will be buying the ors replenishing pak in a few months i guess. i need to finish what i have ( and i just bought hair cholesterol)... that works well!

lovestarr

I have read every single page of this thread and I'm also glad I found it!! I have learned so much about my fine and fragile strands. My hair loves low manipulation and to be stretched. I cannot do a wash n go or wear my hair in a shrunken state.

My hair cannot take too much heat - I flat ironed once in the last 20 months and got heat damage - the stylist used a blow dryer, oven iron, and flat iron, I regret not telling her not to use the oven iron. So now I'm growing out the heat damage. I still have a lot to learn about how to perfect my protein/moisture balance but I'm working on it.

Looking forward to the 2014 thread!!!

tinkat

I notice alot of fine haired ladies here like to blow dry to stretch their hair which I definitely understand. Just be careful in how much you blow dry bc the damage sneaks up slowly if used frequently. I normally Air dry and then stretch with twist and perm rod. What helped me air dry with ease is finding protein moisture balance. I use to be afraid of using protein but then I thought about how our hair is protein. I started using the protein conditioner by the popular jbco brand and my hair has gotten stronger.

Wait, be positive, keep believing, and all will surely be yours. Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

coolsista-paris

I notice alot of fine haired ladies here like to blow dry to stretch their hair which I definitely understand. Just be careful in how much you blow dry bc the damage sneaks up slowly if used frequently. I normally Air dry and then stretch with twist and perm rod. What helped me air dry with ease is finding protein moisture balance. I use to be afraid of using protein but then I thought about how our hair is protein. I started using the protein conditioner by the popular jbco brand and my hair has gotten stronger. Wait, be positive, keep believing, and all will surely be yours. Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

yup always be careful with using heat. i used to dust regulary and use heat, plus low manipulation: i had retained very well .... until instarted wearing my bun at the same spot every day for work: that messed everything up .

SunRai Naturals

I'm about to take my hair down and wear it out for about three weeks before I put it back into my next long term protective style. I always get nervous when I do this because I am on a length retention journey and regular manipulation for my fine strands is not good. I'm getting the itch to try some new styles with my own hair likes buns, updo's, and roller sets.

My plan is to keep exclusively finger detangling but be even more gentle like I am handling lace. I will try to keep my styles in for a week at a time. I don't know how that's going to work though because my hair likes to be co-washed at least a couple of times a week. If I am wearing my hair loose-just the manipulation to get it into twists to co-wash is something that I don't want to do.

I am also going to up my protein while my hair is out. Hopefully this will combat any hair breakage from happening. Aphogee Green Tea Leave-in is good but I may need to use something stronger. I've been reading good things about Nexxus Emergencee so I think I'll try that out also.