The Original Fine hair thread 2014 **

coolsista-paris

to the relaxed heads: do you have difficulty recongnizîng new growth well, on touch ups?

i feel new growth but i have a feeling i might mess up on touching up.

Babygrowth

to the relaxed heads: do you have difficulty recongnizîng new growth well, on touch ups?

i feel new growth but i have a feeling i might mess up on touching up.

This time it was weird because I covered my ng with SAA's and it didn't get as straight as usual. So for a minute I couldn't tell the difference. That and me being a slow grower is why I have stretched until 16 weeks or more. Don't know if I will be doing that again.

coolsista-paris

This time it was weird because I covered my ng with SAA's and it didn't get as straight as usual. So for a minute I couldn't tell the difference. That and me being a slow grower is why I have stretched until 16 weeks or more. Don't know if I will be doing that again.

im also doing a long stretch. î´ll be 14 weeks post this friday.
i dont know if im a slow grower( i might be, it used to grow fast like grass as a kid)...
i now take medication (i just stopped birth control pills though), and i dont exercise ( i want to start seriously). i scalp massage a lot!

anyway as my hair is fine, i have trouble recognizing the kew growth. it seems managable.

the stylist kinda underprocessed the nape , thats the 4a type area. and now it seems like im natural at the back but With stretched or texlaxed hair. i dont mind that but its just that i dont know what to relax.... i dont trust stylists, none in paris that i know. plus paying 50-70€ for a touch up, um no!

Babygrowth

im also doing a long stretch. î´ll be 14 weeks post this friday.
i dont know if im a slow grower( i might be, it used to grow fast like grass as a kid)...
i now take medication (i just stopped birth control pills though), and i dont exercise ( i want to start seriously). i scalp massage a lot!

anyway as my hair is fine, i have trouble recognizing the kew growth. it seems managable.

the stylist kinda underprocessed the nape , thats the 4a type area. and now it seems like im natural at the back but With stretched or texlaxed hair. i dont mind that but its just that i dont know what to relax.... i dont trust stylists, none in paris that i know. plus paying 50-70€ for a touch up, um no!

I feel you! :nono: did you try spraying plain water at the root and seeing if it curls up to be more noticeable? Do you know or have an idea about your growth rate? Because if you don't take it down far enough you could manage it or correct it but if you overprocess it, it will be a slight headache.

coolsista-paris

I feel you! :nono: did you try spraying plain water at the root and seeing if it curls up to be more noticeable? Do you know or have an idea about your growth rate? Because if you don't take it down far enough you could manage it or correct it but if you overprocess it, it will be a slight headache.

i have no idea of my growth rate. do you measure? ive never measured that. is it from roots or ends we should measure?

i have put water, it will curl a bit but not noticable easily for the new growth. îll try that agaî though.

i should maybe stretch until it becomes hard to manage.

coolsista-paris

ive been wearing a faux high bun. i left it in for 4 days. my hair is soft. i guess its the gel + using some oil moisturizer and spray then leaving it alone.

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
Hair type: 3b edges/3c/4a

Length: BSB Goal: MBL

Natural/relaxed/texlaxed : Texlax (transitioning)

Porosity (if you know): High =/

Reggie: Prepoo w/ Vatika Oil, Ayurvedic Paste, or AO Conditioner. Shampoo my roots only w/ Babassu and ylang shampoo bar or AO GPB shampoo. DC w/ aphogee green tea keratin spray & protein conditioner. My leave in consists of ACV spray, keratin green tea spray, AO white camellia spray, and Monoi De Tahiti oil & butter.

Any hair secret/advice: spray your hair w/ cold ACV or AVJ to close the cuticles. I haven't seen any SSKs since doing this.

Last edited:

Babygrowth

i have no idea of my growth rate. do you measure? ive never measured that. is it from roots or ends we should measure?

i have put water, it will curl a bit but not noticable easily for the new growth. îll try that agaî though.

i should maybe stretch until it becomes hard to manage.

I measured in the beginning but not any more. I only did the roots but I did it in like 5 sections because I have different growth rates all over my head. If you can manage it I don't see why it would hurt to stretch a little longer. You could try divachyk technique and flat iron first then spray the newgrowth with water and see if that makes a difference. If you haven't tried that already.

NaturallyATLPCH

i dont even know when to use protien anymore. im afraid of protein oeverload but my hair used to love protein.

i used a reconstructor this past weekend but i lost more hair as there was not slip !

ive been addind apoghee lignt protein spray after my washes hoping it is enough.
this hair is tricky!!!

i never know when ive got the right balance ...

I've been lurking this thread lol...
But I had to comment on this! I am STILL confused about this protein moisture balance thingy.
My hair loves light protein. After revisiting The Science of Black Hair, I think I am going to alternate a moisturizing DC with protein containing ones. It also said that with some products containing protein, you don't know the exact percentage of the protein, no matter where the protein is listed on the ingredients list. So to be on the safe side, I've decided to alternate each week and maybe do a Reconstructor every 6-8 weeks or so.

Babygrowth

I've been lurking this thread lol...
But I had to comment on this! I am STILL confused about this protein moisture balance thingy.
My hair loves light protein. After revisiting The Science of Black Hair, I think I am going to alternate a moisturizing DC with protein containing ones. It also said that with some products containing protein, you don't know the exact percentage of the protein, no matter where the protein is listed on the ingredients list. So to be on the safe side, I've decided to alternate each week and maybe do a Reconstructor every 6-8 weeks or so.

That's what I do. Because even when I do the elasticity test I'm still confused. One side will be balanced, the other side will need moisture, and the back will need protein! Its all crazy on this head of mine.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Reconstructors are the best bet. I use one up to once a week. Just pay attention to the protein type ladies. That could make the difference.

For example...

Right now my hair could take AO Island Naturals all day which has hydrolyzed almond protein as the 4th or 5t ingredient. Another fave has egg. But give me hydrolyzed wheat? The nightmare straw hair!

U just have to experiment and pj protein products a bit like you do with stylers.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
Reconstructors are the best bet. I use one up to once a week. Just pay attention to the protein type ladies. That could make the difference.

For example...

Right now my hair could take AO Island Naturals all day which has hydrolyzed almond protein as the 4th or 5t ingredient. Another fave has egg. But give me hydrolyzed wheat? The nightmare straw hair!

U just have to experiment and pj protein products a bit like you do with stylers.

I wholeheartedly agree. Through trial and error, I know my hair loves AO Island Naturals Replenishing Conditioner and Curl Junkie Repair Me. It doesn't like blue green algae.

melahnee

It's official. My hair's true love is protein/things that act as such. My hair has thrived on thick oils and believe it or not, Blue Magic Coconut oil. Is it possible that my hair is unable to suffer from protein overload?
When I first started and didn't know jack, my version of "M&S'ing" was Blue Magic as moisturizer and random oils to seal :look: but my hair thrived and thickened. I later read on here that coconut oil can act as a protein and can cause a protein overload. I was like :huh:

coolsista-paris

It's official. My hair's true love is protein/things that act as such. My hair has thrived on thick oils and believe it or not, Blue Magic Coconut oil. Is it possible that my hair is unable to suffer from protein overload? When I first started and didn't know jack, my version of "M&S'ing" was Blue Magic as moisturizer and random oils to seal :look: but my hair thrived and thickened. I later read on here that coconut oil can act as a protein and can cause a protein overload. I was like :huh:

my hair does Well with blue magic coconut oil. although there is petrolium it does well keeping my hair soft.

i also realized that s curl gel gives me moisturized hair. today i tried some ors carrot oil and my hair is soft!
i guess the combo of s curl gel + ors carrot oil is fine in my hair.
i need to right that down to remember, then keep trying stuff and taking notes.

coolsista-paris

reconstructors Worked Well on my hair as a natural. i need to try more with my relaxed hair.

i use apoghee 2 min. it has the perfect slip i need.

i do a pre poo- dc treatment. then wash (worked as a natural).
If i dc after shampoing it puts extra manipulation and just breaks my hair easily.

anyone else done that?

Gryphyn

Thanks for tagging me. :) I just saw the tag now. Maybe a link to this thread from the 2013 thread will bring in a few more fine heads.

My hair is back at neck length again after getting it shaped this weekend. I'm still texturizing, it's the only thing that works for me for keeping it thick as possible yet knot free. I still have maybe an inch or two of thin relaxed ends though but I'll just let those get gradually trimmed off.

Daily rinsing or co washing has worked for me as well as heavy sealing, like LCO then a thick cream or gel. After all the setbacks I've had while learning how to deal with my hair I'll be happy to get to full APL. At least I know that's possible since that's where I was last year.

coolsista-paris

Thanks for tagging me. :) I just saw the tag now. Maybe a link to this thread from the 2013 thread will bring in a few more fine heads. My hair is back at neck length again after getting it shaped this weekend. I'm still texturizing, it's the only thing that works for me for keeping it thick as possible yet knot free. I still have maybe an inch or two of thin relaxed ends though but I'll just let those get gradually trimmed off. Daily rinsing or co washing has worked for me as well as heavy sealing, like LCO then a thick cream or gel. After all the setbacks I've had while learning how to deal with my hair I'll be happy to get to full APL. At least I know that's possible since that's where I was last year.

oh there you are! :)

great idea, i should put the link on the 2013 thread.

i think the stylist relaxed too straight in november . maybe because it was a virgin relaxer she left the no lye relaxer for long.....

id like to thicken up the hair but im not gonna trim now. im gonna dust again!

Gryphyn

Now that I've pretty much transitioned back to texturized hair I have a mini freak out every time I do my first wash after a touch up :lol:. My stylist will press my hair to style it before I leave, so if it doesn't spring right back after that first shampoo...PANIC! I start to think they combed the texturizer through to my ends again, which is exactly how I ended up having to transition again in the first place.

With our fine hair you really need a stylist you can trust 100% if you choose to go to a salon, because any over processing will KILL our hair :nono:. Even underprocessing is bad too because I know my hair can't tolerate corrective processing.

krissyhair

Does anyone use boar bristle brush on their edges?

I am worried about it thinning out my hair. But at the same time, not using a brush to smooth out my edges shows how fine and thin they actually are. I avoided using the term "sparse" to describe my edges because I believe they are meant to be fine and scalpy. At the same time tho, I'm not a fan of the way it looks without smoothing with the brush.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Does anyone use boar bristle brush on their edges?

I am worried about it thinning out my hair. But at the same time, not using a brush to smooth out my edges shows how fine and thin they actually are. I avoided using the term "sparse" to describe my edges because I believe they are meant to be fine and scalpy. At the same time tho, I'm not a fan of the way it looks without smoothing with the brush.

krissyhair
Have you tried using an edge tamer product, such as, Curls Control Paste, or KeraCare Edge Tamer, your fingers, and a silk scarf for your edges?