The Problem with Braid/Twist outs

unalteredone

And actually bantu knot outs, although i've embraced the problem in that case...

Is that for me, my braid/twistouts do not hang down, they stick out. So i just end up putting my hair into a ponytail ( and a weird looking one at that) anyway. I'm not very good at cornrowing or even flat twisting, so i do individual braids/twists, and set the ends on straws or something. It's pretty much the same thing whether i do it on wet or dry hair. I usually just use leave in conditioner and coconut oil or serum. I dont have any heavy moisturizers. The heaviest thing i have is the Seyani hair butter from shescentit. My hair is kinda layered, on the fine side, and i have bangs. What am i doing wrong? Is my hair just not long enough to hang down?

natural2008

happens to my hair as well. bumping for you cause I want to know. I do not think that my hair is long enough yet.

Christelyn

Yep, you probably won't see any hang down until you grow you hair a few inches more. Have you thought about leaving the twists in, bunning the middle and doing twist outs to make a few ringlets in the front and sides? I do that a lot. I give the illusion of length. HTH.

AsTheCurlzTurns

You may not have enough length, as some have posted, but have you tried rolling the ends on perm rods? This can give a bit of weight to the ends to make them hang a bit rather than stick out. The straws would seem to be lightweight to me, so try the perm rods and see. HTH!

Divine Inspiration

Mine don't hang when my hair is not given enough time to dry. An example of this would be the braidout I'm currently wearing. I braided my hair on Friday night and left it braided all day Saturday and most of the day Sunday until about 6 pm. When I took the braids out, my curls were hanging and hydrated.

When I remove the braids before my hair is TOTALLY dry, I get fluffier, less sleek curls and they don't last as long nor do they hang.

It took quite a while for my twist outs to hang down (like, a year plus of being natural from a short BC), and even then, that was only after the initial twist out. If I co-washed or rinsed, it would go more out than down.

Length on natural hair needs to be longer when doing twist/braid outs to get some length than on relaxed hair.