The Quick-Fix Thread: Share Your Techniques

*Muffin*

This has probably happened to most of us. You tried a new hair care product or technique, and it just did NOT work, as in your hair looks like you've stuck your finger in a light-socket or is otherwise screaming for you to do SOMETHING!:pullhair: What is worse, you are pressed for time. You have to do something quickly to save your precious strands!

Here's two quick fixes that help me whenever something offsets my protein/moisture balance:

Protein Overload:
How do you know it's happened to you: When your hair feels dry, crunchy, stiff, and brittle.

Quick-Fix: Take your favorite super-moisturizing deep conditioner (I like AOHSR) and apply it to your dry hair, and just leave it on. Do what you have to do for the day and, if you wish, you can wash it out later when you get home. Most of the time my hair is so thankful that it sucks the moisturizing conditioner right up and doesn't need to be washed!

Moisture Overload:
How do you know it's happened to you: When your hair feels delicate, brittle, and mushy

Quick-fix: Apply a protein-rich oil to like Unrefined Avocado Oil or Wheat Germ oil to your hair, and the condition of your hair should improve. I applied Unrefined Avocado oil to my hair when I was experiencing the symptoms of moisture overload, and my hair strengthened and became more elastic almost instantly.

That's all I have so far! Remember, these are just suggestions. Take them with a grain of salt ;).

Last edited:

bellebebe

Protein overload:
I immediately slap on some moisturizing detangler (with mucho slip) and sit under the dryer for 30 minutes. I also let it cool. I rinse and if I have tangles, I de-tangle by small sections. That usually does it for me. I also do the same thing when I get post braid tangles.

SEMO

My bad hair day/all around "fix it" solution:
- Shampoo with Porosity Control and condition with Dove Intense moisture conditioner. There's nothing I've found that I can do to my hair that using those 2 things won't fix.

But if I don't have time for that:
- Spraying my hair with water, applying some Texture My Way Curl Keeper leave-in, and smoothing my hair with a boar bristle brush also fixes most everything else (at least until I have time for a wash).

I don't know how helpful those tips were :look: but those are my quick fixes. I can't say that I've experienced protein overload or moisture overload in particular.

*Muffin*

Quick-Fix Scenario: For Relaxed Heads. It's time for you to get a relaxer, but YOU just don't have the time, and your NG is exploding to the point where you can barely contain it, let alone look cute for the day.

Solution: If you have a blow-dryer, blow out your roots on a low to cool setting (you may choose to apply heat protectant to be on the safe side). Make sure your hair is detangled before beginning. This technique shouldn't take longer than 30 minutes (more like no more than 15min but I'm going to stick with 30 so that I may not incur the wrath of those that take a bit longer to do their hair :look:). Although your roots may not be pin-straight, it'll be good enough for you to accomplish an acceptable style for the day without causing unnecessary breakage or heat-damage.

Last edited:

Minty

^^^On days like that when my NG is out of control, I rinse with ayuvedic powder "Heenara" and run through with Giovanni Smooth as Silk. I finger comb, smooth with the conditioner in, careful not to disturb the curl pattern (if its a long stretch) thats forming by rubbing my hands over my hair, and while rinsing lightly, I band my hair in a low pony.

Out of the shower, and out the door. That process takes less than 5 minutes.