The return of the Braidy Bunch???

H

HoneyRockette

How about it? I could use some braid support. Who has braids now or is getting braids soon? What is your current/future braid regimen? How long do you plan to leave your braids in? What kind of braids do you have or are planning to get?

As for me, I don't have braids yet but my appointment in on November 4th. I will be getting medium length individual braids and leaving them in for about 6 months to a year (though I would like to leave them in for longer) and rebraiding every three months. I don't know how often I will wash them yet. I think last time I washed them too often. I do know to use Care Free Jheri Curl Activator instead of braid spray (thanks for the tip ladies /images/graemlins/wink.gif)

TBC72

Look no further because your biggest braid supporter is right here!!! I plan on wearing mine for awhile. Until my hair touches my shoulder. I have kanekelon hair but I'm having some serious issues with it. I plan on rebraiding my hair in two weeks. That is if I can get the braid sealer to work. Godd luck with your braids. If you ever need support outside the board, just email me. Mmmmkay? Happy hair braiding!!P.s Where's faith?

thatscuteright

Ladies I am with you on this!
My goal is to wear my wear in braids for 24 months. I want to break it down and go for 12 months first.
I like to braid my hair in medium/small singles using kaneklon hair, for 3 months at a time. So all together I will braid my hair 4 times a year
My regimen:
"grease' scalp 2-3x a week w/ Glovers concotion ( Glovers +MSM powder+ blue magic)
Spray hair twice a day w/ infusim concotion ( Infusim 23 + my homemade rose and sage rinse)
Wash once a week w/ Bonners castile soap, apply infusim concotion.

My first braid set will be Nov-January , condition for the rest of the month and then rebraid set # 2, February -April.

My hair is naturally thick, and about 10-12 inches long. I hope to be at the same length or longer as the lady @ growafrohairlong.com. /images/graemlins/grin.gif
I am in the process of putting together a hair journal.
I have a plan,but I defintiely need support, my e-mail address is
[email protected], lets keep each other posted /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

H

HoneyRockette

Tonia how long is your hair now? Tamala, looks like we have the same schedule. I will definitely be keeping in touch with you guys! By the way is your hair natural or relaxed?

That's the way we became the Braidy Bunch! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ladytee

Yeah I'm a braiy girl. I've had braids since May,re-braided of course. So far I have no problems with them. They will get you spoiled because you are so use to getting up and going. I'm going to keep them in another year and see how long my hair is gets t
hen decide If I want to go another year. Right now I'm growing out my relaxer and I choose to do it with braids. Right now I have a sew in weave of the deep wave hair. That hair is so easy to maintain cause all you have to do is wet it and put mouse in it. Well I'll keep everyone posted.

TBC72

Hello Ladies!! Honey rockette, I guess you can say my hair is relax. I haven't had a perm since july. As for my hair length, I'm a little ashamed to say it since everyone here has such beautiful hair on this board. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif I have some breakage in the crown area but overall it's past my ears. I would love for my hair to go at least past my shoulders. Hopefully with braids I'll gain some length. Are you all going to being putting perms in your hair once you acheive your length? I encourage all to email me when you get fruatrated, can't keep your fingers out your head or just wanna past along some tips!!! Good luck ladies and keep me posted!!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

neeki

I've been wearing braids for about 15 months now. My original goal was 1 yr but now I think I'm going to keep my hair braided until the spring. Right now I wear small human hair braids, not micros, but small. I use wavy hair instead of straight hair because the wavy hair holds my natural hair better and there is less frizzing thru. I'm thinking about trying kinky twist next. I think they are cute in magazines, but I'm a little nervous because I've never actually seen anyone wearing them in person.

I shampoo every two weeks with Better Braids Spray Shampoo and I've been using World of Curls as a braid spray. I usually spray my braids no more than every other day. In between shampoos I use ORS Herbal Cleanse to clean my hair and scalp. A new product I recently tried and like is Profectiv Anti-Itch Oil Free Serum. It's in a squeeze bottle with an applicator tip so you can apply it directly to the scalp.

My email address is [email protected]

L

legs71

Honeyrockette,

Just call me the braid guru, I've had braids for 4 years now. Believe me, I have experienced many trials and errors while wearing them and I've finally got it right. Unfortunately, 3 of those 4 years I wore braids my hair was relaxed and even though it grew it was badly damaged. From my personal experience relaxers and braids in my hair just don't mix. My hair was thin to start, but I found when it was relaxed and I removed the braids it shed badly and got thinner. My hair has been natural with braids for the last year now and it is thriving. October '01 I cut the last of the relaxed hair off . My hair grew so quickly from Nov '01-April '02 I actually thought something was wrong. It was as if I grew in 6 months what I usually would grow in 1 year. I stay away from synthetic hair for braiding because it is very harsh on any hair whether relaxed or natural. Also because it is a synthetic fiber it sucks all the moisture from your hair so you're constantly moisturizing. I have read some people have allergic reactions to the "chemicals" that are in synthetic hair and also I experienced this once. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

hairfanatic

Hi Leg71,

So you use human hair to braid? Also, do you braid back-to-back or do you let your hair stay out of the braids for a few months. What kind of spray do you use?

L

legs71

Hairfanatic

<<So you use human hair to braid?>>
Yes, I always use human hair to braid because it is more versatile and it "behaves" like human hair. You have to moisturize it and when it needs to be washed it gets real flat.

<<Also, do you braid back-to-back or do
you let your hair stay out of the braids for a few months.>>
Yes I do braid back-to-back, but when I had relaxed hair this was a no-no. I didn't realize at that time I was doing more harm to my hair by doing so. Since I have been natural I can braid back to back and I incur no damage to my hair

<<What kind of
spray do you use?>>

I cannot use the braid sprays because for one they make your scalp very "gooky" and they cause me to get very bad dandruff. I use ORS Olive and Clove oil therapy or Vitamin E on my scalp whenever needed. During the summer months I need it probably once a week or sometimes not at all. I live in NY and since the weather has been in the 50's for the past 2 or 3 weeks my scalp is on drought alert so I have to put it on every time I come from outdoors