The Rules Of Wet Bunning

SingBrina

great thread, i wish there was info or pics for the 4a and 4b, i think my hair will look crazy, unless i perm it and do this

lilsparkle825

Do you ladies put something on the ends then bun your hair?
I use my Kimmaytube leave-in, then sometimes add coconut oil on top of that. Since my leave-in is watery, I put it in a spray bottle, which makes it easy to rewet my bun. I apply AV gel to my edges and scarf for 15 minutes.

Do you naturals suffer from SSKs from wet bunning?
If I do, they are definitely less noticeable.

Has this helped retain length?
From what I have seen, YES....and I've only been doing it a few weeks.

Do you wet bun in the shower or not?
Nope....I usually cowash daily and dry my hair with a wifebeater for 10-15 minutes first. If not, I'm just rewetting an old wet bun.

Is your hair soaking wet when you bun?
Never!

Remember to keep those protein levels in check....wet buns are great but they make your ends super sensitive to breakage.

greight

I'm a 4b. My camera is down, but I'll take pictures when I do it again.

My process-

I deep condition and generally use a moisturizer then castor oil. I put my hair in 8 twists to air dry and stretch out (perhaps 60-75%). I take down the twists then pull my hair in a scrunchie. I then french braid the twists down into a big poof. I tie a scarf around the edges to keep them flat (I use aloe vera juice for hold).

Since I stretch out my hair, not as much.

I'm a twists-type of girl so I don't know...

Nope.

Above

s4pphir3

Thanks for this .. I've been wet buning all summer but I'm worried about breakage. I haven't had any yet and I want to keep it that way. All these tips are greatly appreciated.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Scurl and mixture of jbco/evoo or evco.

n/a - relaxed

I've only been doing this for a month but so far, it seems I'm retaining length since it's low manipulation.

No. Tshirt dry hair for as long as I can then bun if it's a poo day. Non-poo day, I moisturize hair/seal, bun.

No...damp, but not soaking.

Remember to keep those protein levels in check....wet buns are great but they make your ends super sensitive to breakage.

Leave-in conditioner, coconut/avocado/olive oil mix

n/a yet (transitioning)

I guess it will as it will be a protective style for me

No, I haven't.

No, it's damp. I put on my hair towel, get dressed, sit down for a bit, moisturize, seal, and bun.

rockstar

I use a leave-in + olive oil. Sometimes I will put HE LTR Split End Protector. I'm not sure if it helps, but I pretend it does.

YESSS! I get SSKs, not a lot but I get them. I hate it. Now i've been braiding my ponytail in 3-4 sections then wrap the braids around into a bun. Hopefully this combats the SSKs.

First time bunning in a way that would retain length!

Not at all.

No. It's damp/wet, but not dripping wet. If it were dripping wet, my back would be soaked all day!

BGT

I've been wet bunning a lot lately, and I will continue to do so for the remainder of the summer...and probably after that too :lol: It's just so convenient.

I'll wash (or co-wash) in the shower, gently detangle with a wide tooth comb, squeeze out excess water, apply a leave-in (usually regular conditioner), seal with an oil (or butter) and twist it into a bun. I secure with a Goody Spin Pin. I used to use Good-Day Hair Pins, but after discovering the spin pins, I haven't gone back.

To keep my hair smooth at the top, most times I'll add some Eco Styler Gel (the brown) which has a softer, level 7 hold. When creating the wet bun, I don't use a brush; I smooth with my hands.

Oooh-weee!! I'd be scared to use that spin pin on my wet hair. :lol: Are you getting a lot of breakage from that?

tricie

Great thread, OP! Just did my first wet bun tonight; hope it doesn't look a h.a.m. tomorrow. Bumping!!!

ebonylocs

I am a 4b with relaxed ends at the front, texlaxed middles, and natural roots.

I put Wave Nouveau moisturising lotion and seal with oil mix (castor oil and wheat germ & soybean for now).

For the past couple of days I have put a little Megatek on the ends first as well.
This seems to be working for me. Before and after I started wet bunning recently, my ends have been looking very anemic and feeling quite weak and fragile despite DC and protective styling. Plus I like to get my hair soaking wet every morning, and when wet it usually feels very soft and even more fragile. With adding the Megatek, the ends are feeling a lot stronger, smoother and more elastic. I wouldn't use it more than a couple of times a week though, because it has the potential to make your hair go hard and dried out.

n/a - relaxed / texlaxed ends

Don't know yet. My hair feels more moisturised and stronger though. Protective styles (dry buns, hair clipped up) have worked for me in the past though although I've never wet bunned consistently before.

No. Rinse hair in the shower. When I get out I apply my prods in sections, smooth, and bun.

Not really. I pat with a towel to soak up the excess water. Plus my hair dries pretty fast, so by the time I've added the products it is damp instead of soaking wet. As a matter of fact, if I wait too long before adding the prods, it dries frizzy and tacky and is less manageable.

*If anyone is going to try this, I would advise them to be very vigilant and watch for any signs of breakage. Also make sure your protein balance is correct so your hair is not weakened. Adding the Megatek a couple of times a week seems to have established that balance for me given that my hair is often damp. Others might not need any protein leave-ins and moisturising ones may be sufficient.

Last edited: