The Rules Of Wet Bunning

MsLizziA

So i just found out that i have enough hair to start bunning :woot:and i want to keep this up. ( all though i know me and i get bored easily :grin:) Well i know there is a wet bunning challenge but that thread is toooo long and i used the search button but didn't necessarily find the answers to my questions.

ANYWHO, i would like to know about the ends of your hair as far as wet bunning. I wet bun in the shower so all i basically do is put a leavin in my hair and call it a day, nothing else really.

I started thinking about my ends and i wanted to know;

Do you ladies put something on the ends then bun your hair?

Do you naturals suffer from SSKs from wet bunning?

Has this helped retain length?

Do you wet bun in the shower or not?

Is your hair soaking wet when you bun?

All info is appreciated! Thanks!

Mrs.Green

Remember don't pull your hair to tight. Hair is delicate when wet.

Coconut Oil

N/A I'm relaxed

Yes

No I just cowash and leave a little conditioner in my hair and oil with coconut oil or sometimes I have a spray bottle with water and my favorite moisturizing conditioner mix and spray my hair to damp *especially when it HOT outside*. But if bunning in the shower works for you then do that. Always do what works for you regardless of what we may suggest.

Not usually but at times can be.

LadyPBC

great thread - can't wait to read the responses. I would love to wet bun but after several attempts I have failed miserably.

NikStarrr

I co-wash & detangle in the shower, but I don't wet bun in the shower. Once I'm out of the shower, I lightly towel dry (without disrupting that it's still laying smooth from the detangle) and then I apply tons of CO and gel (Fantasia or EcoStyler), and then put into a bun. I think this minimizes SSKs, as my hair doesn't get to dry and curl back on itself as much as if I was to WnG.

Last edited:

ElegantPearl17

Have any of you found that your wet bun gets frizzy as the day progresses? I'm having that problem now. I'm relaxed by the way.

MsBoinglicious

Yes! I use Shea butter and seal with oil (whatever is around). Sometimes I use Garnier Frutis Leave in Conditioner (in the short lime green stubby bottle).

I never noticed any from wet bunning directly. I get SSK if I just look at my hair. lol

Yes it has!

I prep for the bun in the shower (like putting it into a ponytail), then when I get out I apply product to my ends then bun it up.

Uhhh....about 50-60% wet I would say. Not dripping wet but def damp.

**I have one of my wet buns in my siggy but it was dry when I took the pic**

MsLizziA

This was a wet bun

Yes! I use Shea butter and seal with oil (whatever is around). Sometimes I use Garnier Frutis Leave in Conditioner (in the short lime green stubby bottle).

I never noticed any from wet bunning directly. I get SSK if I just look at my hair. lol

Yes it has!

I prep for the bun in the shower (like putting it into a ponytail), then when I get out I apply product to my ends then bun it up.

Uhhh....about 50-60% wet I would say. Not dripping wet but def damp.

**I have one of my wet buns in my siggy but it was dry when I took the pic**

Do yall brush your hair down?

SmilingElephant

I put my leave in and i seal my ends with either vatika oil or coconut oil. Sometimes i put a little bit of my moisturizer on the length and ends if i feel i could use the extra moisture.

Yes. Verily:yep:

I do my buns when i get out the shower, wrap my towel around my hair so it can absorb most of the water...then i do what i do and then do my buns.
No. Just damp...not dripping wet.:nono:

BoaterGirlKim

I followed Tiffers' tutorial when I realized I could pinch up enough of my ear-length strands to tuck into a Goodie Ouchless band. I've been almost totally bunning since Oct 2009 (nothing fancy - just pull into a pony tail at different spots on back of my head and tuck hair in scrunchy). Here's a thread with one link to Tiffers' tutorial and another to wet bunning testimonials.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=453130

I use Hawaiian Silky 14-n-1 leave in cream all over then put extra on the ponytail hair as Tiffers suggests. I tried sealing with oil for a few days. Doing that gave me fly-aways; that was my first clue that my hair hates oil.

N/A - I'm a creamy crackhead lol

Gain and retain! I went from a few stands peaking out of a scrunchie to a cute little 4-inch ponytail (might be more, I don't measure yet). It shrinks up over the last couple of weeks since I'm 9 weeks post relaxer, but I'm touching up NG tonight so I should see nice progress. Speaking of NG, HS14 is thick enough to do a nice job of helping it lay down (I'm on a gel strike - I don't use any gel whatsoever to avoid hairline/nape breakage. I use IC Polisher serum for a nice shine).

No, I bun immediately upon getting out.

Yes. I don't even put the towel to my head in order to keep hair as moist as possible throughout the day.

* I never pull my hair straight back. I part my hair left of center and smooth to the sides to avoid causing hairline damage.

* In the evenings I re-wet my hair by spraying with water, parting into 4 sections and make 4 buns, adding more HS14 to the ponytails and saturating with water before tucking into scrunchies. My hair is short (nose-length bangs, chin-length sides, back tryina holla at my shoulders) so my front and side ends are not tucked in the single bun I wear to work, just smoothed down on my head. I started doing the 4 buns when I noticed that my front is growing very slowly - in the past, it was my fastest growing area :perplexed My bangs used to be above my eyebrows though, and now past my nose so that's good. Hopefully, the 4-bun evening moisturizing treatment for the rest of my ends will help retention at the front and sides so I can even things out over time with some careful dusting.

Happy bunning!

cch24

I always apply Kinky Curly Knot Today and Mozeke Avocado Creme on my heair before I bun.

I haven't noticed any...

Absolutely! While transitioning I went from past SL to almost WL in 15 months and all I did was wet bun. I'm doing the same now that I've BC'd.

Nope. I cowash my hair in 4 clipped sections. I take them out after I have my Turbie Twist Towel on for about 3 minutes.

Not soaking wet, but it is definitely damp!

ETA: I detangle with my seamless comb in the shower, but when I'm making my bun I just use my hands to smooth my hair. I tie a scarf on my head for about 20 minutes and my hairline is smooth and practically straight.

C(squared)

I use a leave in conditioner by Pantene and clear Ecostyler gel. I put the leave-in throughout my hair and use the gel to lay down my edges and also smooth my curl pattern. I put jojoba oil or coconut oil on my ends before bunning. I also use a modified Denman brush (every other row taken out) under the shower to tame the top and back of my hair.

No. I don't experience any ssks actually.

Absolutely. This is my weekday style (I braidout or wng on the weekends). I'm getting almost 1' a month.

No. I used to and then I would put the gel on my hair and it would look frizzy by the bun. :ohwell:

Probably about 80% wet. Definitely not soaking wet though!

LaFemmeNaturelle

I'm transitioning but I've been wet bunning the same way since I was natural. Might not be the most popular way but it works for me.

Nothing special to my ends. I apply my leave in of glycerin, aloe vera juice and oils throughout my hair and then apply my mix of shea butter, coconut oill, and evoo to help lay my edges down. I'll use gel if I have a side part with a small swoop.

I never did in the past and hopefully won't in the future:perplexed

I guess so. I went from full sl to mbl in less than a year but I wouldn't say its the wet bunning by itself. It's the low manipulation for me so a dry bun would have done the same.

I wet bun after I get out of the shower and after my hair has been t-shirt dried for about 10-15 mins (well however long it takes me to lotion my body)

No it is damp

First pic is just the front of my hair after wet bunning. I used gel in this pic. Second pic is my donut bun after it had dried throughout the way which is why those ends got frizzy I guess. Third pic is the pony I had it in before putting it in the donut bun.

I also don't wet bun the same way each time. Sometimes I use small clips to secure the ends, some times a bobby pin, and sometimes just a scrunchy or a headband like u see in the third pic. I also alternate my parts to reduce tension in the same place. HTH someone.

Attachments

• 24wks5.jpg
    24wks5.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 220
  • Bun.jpg
    Bun.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 233
  • DSCI0166.jpg
    DSCI0166.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 221

MsLizziA

I'm transitioning but I've been wet bunning the same way since I was natural. Might not be the most popular way but it works for me.

Nothing special to my ends. I apply my leave in of glycerin, aloe vera juice and oils throughout my hair and then apply my mix of shea butter, coconut oill, and evoo to help lay my edges down. I'll use gel if I have a side part with a small swoop.

I never did in the past and hopefully won't in the future:perplexed

I guess so. I went from full sl to mbl in less than a year but I wouldn't say its the wet bunning by itself. It's the low manipulation for me so a dry bun would have done the same.

I wet bun after I get out of the shower and after my hair has been t-shirt dried for about 10-15 mins (well however long it takes me to lotion my body)

No it is damp

First pic is just the front of my hair after wet bunning. I used gel in this pic. Second pic is my donut bun after it had dried throughout the way which is why those ends got frizzy I guess. Third pic is the pony I had it in before putting it in the donut bun.

I also don't wet bun the same way each time. Sometimes I use small clips to secure the ends, some times a bobby pin, and sometimes just a scrunchy or a headband like u see in the third pic. I also alternate my parts to reduce tension in the same place. HTH someone.
SL TO MBL N LESS THAN A YEAR?! WOW! I been sleeping on this clearly...

RosesBlack

Yes, I use Profectiv breakfree and usually some kind of oil.

Not really.

I think it has. I usually only wet bun on wash days so no more than once a week twice if the summer is really kicking.

Not. I have to make sure my hair is very well detangled and I do not have a big enough hot water heater for that.

No usually it's about 60% air dried when I bun.

cmw45

I followed Tiffers' tutorial when I realized I could pinch up enough of my ear-length strands to tuck into a Goodie Ouchless band. I've been almost totally bunning since Oct 2009 (nothing fancy - just pull into a pony tail at different spots on back of my head and tuck hair in scrunchy). Here's a thread with one link to Tiffers' tutorial and another to wet bunning testimonials.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=453130

I use Hawaiian Silky 14-n-1 leave in cream all over then put extra on the ponytail hair as Tiffers suggests. I tried sealing with oil for a few days. Doing that gave me fly-aways; that was my first clue that my hair hates oil.

N/A - I'm a creamy crackhead lol

Gain and retain! I went from a few stands peaking out of a scrunchie to a cute little 4-inch ponytail (might be more, I don't measure yet). It shrinks up over the last couple of weeks since I'm 9 weeks post relaxer, but I'm touching up NG tonight so I should see nice progress. Speaking of NG, HS14 is thick enough to do a nice job of helping it lay down (I'm on a gel strike - I don't use any gel whatsoever to avoid hairline/nape breakage. I use IC Polisher serum for a nice shine).

No, I bun immediately upon getting out.

Yes. I don't even put the towel to my head in order to keep hair as moist as possible throughout the day.

* I never pull my hair straight back. I part my hair left of center and smooth to the sides to avoid causing hairline damage.

* In the evenings I re-wet my hair by spraying with water, parting into 4 sections and make 4 buns, adding more HS14 to the ponytails and saturating with water before tucking into scrunchies. My hair is short (nose-length bangs, chin-length sides, back tryina holla at my shoulders) so my front and side ends are not tucked in the single bun I wear to work, just smoothed down on my head. I started doing the 4 buns when I noticed that my front is growing very slowly - in the past, it was my fastest growing area :perplexed My bangs used to be above my eyebrows though, and now past my nose so that's good. Hopefully, the 4-bun evening moisturizing treatment for the rest of my ends will help retention at the front and sides so I can even things out over time with some careful dusting.

Happy bunning!

OT: Great post. :grin:

ITA with the bolded. I have tried every "oil" technique ever mentioned on this board and none of them ever work. My hair HATES oil. :wallbash:

Place holder for my thoughts on wet bunning...

NaturalBoss

I co-wash and bun daily. I use S-Curl No Drip on my hair and it stays moisturized all day. I don't bun in the shower. I dry my hair with a special towel that's made for curly hair (it's basically made out of t-shirt material). I use Ecostyler gel (brown) on my edges. I believe wet bunning has helped me retain length.

LaFemmeNaturelle

SL TO MBL N LESS THAN A YEAR?! WOW! I been sleeping on this clearly...

Not THAT much less than a year lol I think it was about 10 months.....I started my hhj June and made mbl in April I think. My back from the bottom of my neck to my hips is 17 inches if that helps. I guess my hair grows a bit faster than the average .5 a month because I had 2 trims in between the time and retained about 6 inches?....but it sure seems like its growing average or SLOWER now during this transition

MsLizziA

Not THAT much less than a year lol I think it was about 10 months.....I started my hhj June and made mbl in April I think. My back from the bottom of my neck to my hips is 17 inches if that helps. I guess my hair grows a bit faster than the average .5 a month because I had 2 trims in between the time and retained about 6 inches?....but it sure seems like its growing average or SLOWER now during this transition
Girl that is an accomplishment! Don't water it down, damnit that's some good retention!

Lucia

Yes, conditioner, oil, on the entire length and ends

No, I only get SSK's when my hairs extremely dried out, or been handled roughly.

Def. YES :yep:
I do easy low tension styles most of the time, and sometimes I do sock buns but not daily cause it stresses the hair b/c you have to use bands and pull it kind of tight.

No, when I get out. Most days if I don't CW, I just refresh my hair with a spray bottle touch up the conditioner oil and gel brush, smooth and go.

No, it's a little bit damp if it was wet it wouldn't dry for 2 days probably.
I also use my Denman, soft bristle paddle brush and my hands to smooth the hairs down. after the conditioner and oil I put on gel, ecostyler krystal (clear gel)works best for edges, close 2nd la bella 10+ extra hold gel and I don't use a scarf to set it either.
I have pics in my fotki
hth

Last edited: