The science of preventing relaxer damage by using silk

toniy

I love the knowledge here but I hate that I pulled out my credit card and headed to that site. I just want to try the silk because my hair is fine and I think the extra protection would be great.

AKA-Tude

Cholet112 said:
I have been using this with my CHI flat iron for 6 years and it truly is one of my staples. Plus one 12 oz bottle last me, no lie, 1 year!!!!!!!!!!!!! It only takes and little but it packs a big punch. But I never thought to use it before my relaxer. Im relaxing next friday and I cant wait to try it!

This is also good to know!:scratchch

I went to my beloved Ebay bcuz they had the lil .5oz bottles for CHEAP! Esp. just to try.

But if ya'll really swear by it like THAT, then I must have at least a 6oz bottle!

**calming down the PJism*** Whu-saa ** Whu-saa**

I'll wait til the lil bottles get here first **see Imma good gurl!**:fallenang

LadyJ76

Navs,
What about Lacio Lacio and Salerm 21? They both have silk protein in the ingredients, would I be able to use these as pre-relaxer protection as well? Is Silk Protein not as drying as other forms of protein? Would you reccommend using a leave-in conditioner or serum w/ silk protein even when not relaxing, to build a layer of protection on the hair? I was an English major so you are really schooling me right now!

navsegda

LadyJ76 said:
Navs,
What about Lacio Lacio and Salerm 21? They both have silk protein in the ingredients, would I be able to use these as pre-relaxer protection as well? Is Silk Protein not as drying as other forms of protein? Would you reccommend using a leave-in conditioner or serum w/ silk protein even when not relaxing, to build a layer of protection on the hair? I was an English major so you are really schooling me right now!
I've never used either of those. I assume it would be ok to use those as long as you let them dry first on the hair. It also depends on how far down the list the silk protein is (if it's the last or second to last ingredient, I wouldn't use it haha).

I use shampoos, conditioners, and serums with silk all the time. In comparison to other proteins, silk has a more nourishing effect. One reason why silk proteins can offer a layer of protection unlike some other proteins is because most of those proteins are hydrolyzed enough so that they have a low enough molecular weight to penetrate into the hair strand and rebuild your hair's structure, but they don't coat. Also, in nature, silk forms a very strong protective film that other proteins cannot. For instance, dragline spider silk is stronger than steel when stretched to the same lengths.

http://instadv.ucsb.edu/93106/2002/October7/spider.html

"The molecules are designed to be pulled; they are elastic and very strong. The silk can be extended 30 to 50 percent of its length before it breaks. It is stronger than steel and comparable in strength to Kevlar, the artificial fabric used in bulletproof vests."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/hottopics/superheroes/

"Dragline silk, which spiders use to crawl down from ceiling to floor, is the strongest of all. Weight for weight it is actually stronger than steel, holding over 280,000,000kg per square metre (400,000 pounds per square inch) without breaking."

With many products that contain silk, the silk molecules are usually too large (their molecular weight is not low enough when hydrolyzed normally) to penetrate the strand, so all they can do is coat the hair. However, this isn't the case with all silk-containing products because some are hydrolyzed more than others. Another reason why I like CHI Silk Infusion is because it has large, medium, and small silk protein molecules (which means some coat the hair for protection while others penetrate to gently reconstruct the strand, so you get the best of both worlds: reconstruction and protection). Biosilk Silk Therapy for instance only has large silk molecules.

Last edited:

navsegda

S.O.S. said:
Can any of the biosilk products be used?
Biosilk Silk Therapy contains alcohol. Some people said it dries your hair out over time. Biosilk and CHI are made by the same company (Farouk), they just wanted to improve the formula (with the type of silk molecules as well as not including alcohol and parabens in the Silk Infusion).

As for the other Biosilk products, I don't know if they contain alcohol or not.

navsegda

tishee said:
navsegda thanks SO SO much for this thread. I got my texturizer today and can not believe how great my hair looks/feels.

Sweeeeeeeeeeet!!! I also noticed that my hair came out much better after using silk when I relaxed this time.

AVNchick

Navsegda,
Could a relaxer pretreatment (such as Affirm Preservo Strengthening Serum) and silk protein be used together before relaxing the hair or would one cancel out the other.

Here Preservo's description:

Preservo® Strengthening Serum (STEP 1) is applied to the whole head just prior to relaxing to protect and condition hair during chemical processing. • Contains Fiber Strengthening Complex (FSC), a revolutionary conditioning complex exclusive to Avlon that penetrates deep within the hair shaft while cuticles are open during relaxing.
• Consists of special strengthening and conditioning ingredients that minimize swelling, preserve strength and restore hair’s natural luster.
Benefits
• Retards breakage and shedding.
• Helps hair retain tensile strength and elasticity.
• Can be used prior to color services.
• Decreases hair porosity.
• Helps weak, brittle hair ends become more pliable.
• Conditions hair as it moisturizes and adds volume.
• Imparts a smooth, silky feel to hair.

I'll post ingredients as soon as I can get to my bottle.

navsegda

reunitej21 said:
Navsegda,
Could a relaxer pretreatment (such as Affirm Preservo Strengthening Serum) and silk protein be used together before relaxing the hair or would one cancel out the other.

I think they would be safe to use together without cancelling each other out. Your serum sounds good; I don't think it would lessen the effects of the silk at all.

deontaer

navsegda said:
With many products that contain silk, the silk molecules are usually too large (their molecular weight is not low enough when hydrolyzed normally) to penetrate the strand, so all they can do is coat the hair. However, this isn't the case with all silk-containing products because some are hydrolyzed more than others. Another reason why I like CHI Silk Infusion is because it has large, medium, and small silk protein molecules (which means some coat the hair for protection while others penetrate to gently reconstruct the strand, so you get the best of both worlds: reconstruction and protection). Biosilk Silk Therapy for instance only has large silk molecules.

Hi Navsegda...another question for you.

You mentioned that not all silk protein conditioners/leave-ins are molecularly made the same, so is there a way to tell which silk conditioners will penetrate the hair and which one's will just coat the hair? Are their key words to look for - like Infusion for instance? The Elasta QP Intense conditioner that I use has Hydorlized Silk as the fourth ingredient on the list and my hair does feel instantly soft after using it...does that mean that the silk molecules were small enough and penetrated my hair or just coated it. After my relaxer burn scare earlier this month, IF I do decide to relax again, I definately want to use silk for protection, but I want to make sure I'm using the right molecular size to get the best protection possible.

navsegda

deontaer said:
Hi Navsegda...another question for you.

You mentioned that not all silk protein conditioners/leave-ins are molecularly made the same, so is there a way to tell which silk conditioners will penetrate the hair and which one's will just coat the hair? Are their key words to look for - like Infusion for instance? The Elasta QP Intense conditioner that I use has Hydorlized Silk as the fourth ingredient on the list and my hair does feel instantly soft after using it...does that mean that the silk molecules were small enough and penetrated my hair or just coated it. After my relaxer burn scare earlier this month, IF I do decide to relax again, I definately want to use silk for protection, but I want to make sure I'm using the right molecular size to get the best protection possible.

Well, by themselves, silk molecules are very large and it takes a lot to break them down so they are hydrolyzed (which basically just means water is added to help break them down into smaller pieces). Sometimes on the company's website they will give you details about their products. Other times you can email someone from the company and they will answer (if they know the answer). That's what I would do if you are unsure. I know specifically about the molecules in CHI Silk Infusion and Biosilk because I've read the details on different websites that confirm this. The good thing about other products with silk is that silk does form a protective film when dry. So even if the molecules penetrate to the inner cortex for instance, they will still form a film after penetrating (unlike other proteins) over the molecules they have come into contact with. It is usually good to assume that unless a product tells you that the silk is going to infuse or penetrate into your hair (which means it has been hydrolyzed more than just by the normal process), it's just going to coat the outside because these molecules haven't obtained a low enough molecular weight to get through the cuticle. If the product does tell you that the silk proteins will infuse or penetrate, then the good thing about this is that even though they will go to deeper layers, they will also get the outer cuticle because that's what they will touch first, and they will form a film over everything they touch (both inside and outside).

Last edited:

JazzyDez

ok navs,

you know you got me to buy this thing (chi silk infusion) in the first place for flat iron protection. I really do like it. Really I dont have time to read the whole thread right now so I am subscribing so I wont forget.

I wanted to see if it was applied to the roots before a relaxer would it also protect the hair or would it prevent it from being processed fully....but I will read the articles and thead later as it may already have my answer.

thanks for the great post!

chocolat79

WOW!! Thanks Nav so much for this info!! I'll be getting a touchup on Monday and will definitely try this!! Glad I came into this thread!!

sareca

Cool thread. For those that use Salerm 21 it has small silk proteins. It's one of my staples.

Last edited:

jenteel

wow what a great thread
navs u did a good job!!

i am natural but i add silk protein powder to my leave-in
i knew it was good but didn't know all the specifics
thanks for breaking it down!
i'm a sponge and llllooooovvveee learning!!!!
this just encouraged me 2 add silk protein 2 some other products i have!!!!

also thanks 2 aka-tude for posting the site w/ the hydrolyzed silk protein
it's cheaper than from nature w/ love's powder form!!!

kimbaparis

Hi Navs:
I couldn't find the chi silk infusion in london. I bought Aphoghee Keratin and Green Tea Restructurizer because the 3rd ingredient is Hydrolized Silk. Will that work? And if not, can you reccommend a few other products that I might be able to find here in France that have silk protein. They seem to have all of the Motions products. Is their silk conditioner good enough? Thanks!!

navsegda

kimbaparis said:
Hi Navs:
I couldn't find the chi silk infusion in london. I bought Aphoghee Keratin and Green Tea Restructurizer because the 3rd ingredient is Hydrolized Silk. Will that work? And if not, can you reccommend a few other products that I might be able to find here in France that have silk protein. They seem to have all of the Motions products. Is their silk conditioner good enough? Thanks!!
You can order the Silk Infusion online from folica.com. They ship internationally.

http://www.folica.com/CHI_Silk_Infusi_d2300.html

You can also buy straight silk amino acids from this site: http://www.lotioncrafter.com/store/Silk-Amino-Acids-pr-16295.html

They ship internationally as well.

Since you're not talking about the hardcore Aphogee treatment, I think the Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer would actually be fine, though, if you don't want to purchase the Silk Infusion or the silk amino acids. The restructurizer is a spray, so that would be convenient at getting the new growth.

AKA-Tude

jenteel said:
also thanks 2 aka-tude for posting the site w/ the hydrolyzed silk protein
it's cheaper than from nature w/ love's powder form!!!

YW!!!

Well, I'm off to do my retouch w/ silk pre-re-touch (is that a term?!?).
Got my Chi Silk Infusion samples in too.

Check back in later.

Well, I must say the silk is so well worth the effort! My hair is soft, shiny, & straight! No burns or overprocessing from what I can see.

Thanx NAV for the advice.

Now off to Lotioncrafter for the big btl of SILK AMINOS!!

Last edited:

navsegda

AKA-Tude said:
YW!!!

Well, I'm off to do my retouch w/ silk pre-re-touch (is that a term?!?).
Got my Chi Silk Infusion samples in too.

Check back in later.

Well, I must say the silk is so well worth the effort! My hair is soft, shiny, & straight! No burns or overprocessing from what I can see.

Thanx NAV for the advice.

Now off to Lotioncrafter for the big btl of SILK AMINOS!!

Sweet! Glad it turned out great for you, too.

*runs behind you to lotioncrafter*

Candiss

I don't have any silk products. But I do have 3 serums: Beyond The Zone heat spray, Silk Elements heat spray and The Fantasia Serum. Do you think I could use these instead of the CHI?

navsegda

Candiss said:
I don't have any silk products. But I do have 3 serums: Beyond The Zone heat spray, Silk Elements heat spray and The Fantasia Serum. Do you think I could use these instead of the CHI?
Those are all heat protectants. Are you sure the Silk Elements doesn't have hydrolyzed silk as one of the ingredients? If they don't, then they need to take the "Silk" out of their name lol. The reason why silk is different and better than other ingredients is because it can form a protective film (it does this naturally) that others cannot. I also posted some newfound information that said that dragline spider silk (which was the type of silk that was implemented into products from the patent research article I first posted) is stronger than steel when stretched, and even though some of those ingredients may be strong polymer chains, they are unmatched in strength to silk.

I especially wouldn't use one of those in place of the silk on virgin hair. You need all the protection you can get. If you can't get the Silk Infusion, I'd use some of the other things various ladies have suggested that contain silk in them. *enter LocksofLuv's thread stage left*

Last edited:

Candiss

Ok, I actually read the ingredients this time and it has the same Ethyl Ester of Hydrolyzed Silk as the chi does but it's cheaper of course. So I think i will use this instead. Ok one more question. I washed my a hair a couple of days ago and put some leave in and hair oil in it. Can I just apply the silk on top of that and relax or should I wash again and just add the silk elements and then relax 2-3 days later? Thanks.

navsegda

Candiss said:
Ok, I actually read the ingredients this time and it has the same Ethyl Ester of Hydrolyzed Silk as the chi does but it's cheaper of course. So I think i will use this instead. Ok one more question. I washed my a hair a couple of days ago and put some leave in and hair oil in it. Can I just apply the silk on top of that and relax or should I wash again and just add the silk elements and then relax 2-3 days later? Thanks.

Cool. I think you will be fine just applying the silk on top of that and relaxing. It doesn't seem like you have too much product in your hair at the time.

Cayenne0622

navsegda said:
Cool. I think you will be fine just applying the silk on top of that and relaxing. It doesn't seem like you have too much product in your hair at the time.

Guru Navsegda! ;)

What about this product by Design Essentials. It cost me $17.00 and lasts a very long time but has been sitting under my counter since I stopped using heat. I don't have the ingredients on hand.
Silk Essentials

Indications:
Healthy, shiny and silky hair is an essential part of everyone? lifestyle today. DESIGN ESSENTIALS compliments this desire by providing hair with moisture binding 100% silk that improves the feel, gloss and manageability of hair instantly. Enriched with natural organic silk, Silk Essentials contains 17 simple amino acids that easily penetrates the cuticle, immediately strengthens, bonds and mends hair cross links from the inside out permanently. Silk Essentials is smooth, aromatic in fragrance and a sensory delight to touch.

navsegda

Cayenne0622 said:
Guru Navsegda! ;)

What about this product by Design Essentials. It cost me $17.00 and lasts a very long time but has been sitting under my counter since I stopped using heat. I don't have the ingredients on hand.
Silk Essentials

Indications:
Healthy, shiny and silky hair is an essential part of everyone? lifestyle today. DESIGN ESSENTIALS compliments this desire by providing hair with moisture binding 100% silk that improves the feel, gloss and manageability of hair instantly. Enriched with natural organic silk, Silk Essentials contains 17 simple amino acids that easily penetrates the cuticle, immediately strengthens, bonds and mends hair cross links from the inside out permanently. Silk Essentials is smooth, aromatic in fragrance and a sensory delight to touch.

Oooh, that sounds good. *drools* I would definitely use it. I like Design Essentials; their products are really good.

Cayenne0622

navsegda said:
Oooh, that sounds good. *drools* I would definitely use it. I like Design Essentials; their products are really good.

Thanks! I will definitely begin using it again. I put it away when I stopped flat ironing.