The science of preventing relaxer damage by using silk

MuslimahTresses

navsegda said:
Oh, on relaxer days I only use Motions (I'm weird like that haha). I neutralize with Motions, shampoo with Motions Lavish Conditioning, and deep condition with Motions lol. I was just listing other products I could think of that had silk protein in them. However, both the CHI Shampoo and Treatment have a pH of 4.5 which can also restore your hair's normal acidic pH. If anyone was going to use the CHI or another shampoo with silk proteins in it right after relaxing, I'd recommend using it only after using a neutralizing shampoo.

so which motions product do you deep condition with on relax days?

nomoweavesfome

hey Nav- question?????

I used to use a while back Optimim synthesis III post-relaxer normalizer when I used to use Optimum lye - relaxer. I still have some and the ingredients are sadly enough listed in Alphabetical Order:

acetamide mea, aloe vera gel, d&c brown#1, deonized water, hydrolized collagen, hydrolized keratin protein, hydrolized mucoploysacharrides, collagen linoleate, anfd linoleic acid, linolenic acid, arachidonic acid, sorbitol, wheat germ oil, jojaba, tocopherol, soluble sulfer, hydroxyethylcellulose, imidazolidinyl urea, lactic acid, metylparaben, panthenol, peg 60 lanolin, polymethacrylamidopropyltrimonium chloride, quaternium -15.

I remember this used to make my hair really unusually soft and silky, but using after relaxer actually reverted my relaxer and I ultimately stopped using optimum. . So what do you think?

chocolat79

Navs, you are on it, girl!!! I absolutely LUUUUUVVVVVVVVV how my hair turned out after my relaxer!! :love:

I used the silk amino acids from lotioncrafter.com right before I got my touch-up and it turned out beautiful!! The first touch-up from Phyto, I was unimpressed, but this time, it turned out great!! So, thanks Navs!!

MoMo

Navs, did you address its effects with overlapping? Sorry might have missed it reading all those posts. TIA.

MoMo

chocolat79 said:
Navs, you are on it, girl!!! I absolutely LUUUUUVVVVVVVVV how my hair turned out after my relaxer!! :love:

I used the silk amino acids from lotioncrafter.com right before I got my touch-up and it turned out beautiful!! The first touch-up from Phyto, I was unimpressed, but this time, it turned out great!! So, thanks Navs!!

How did you use it? Did you spray or just slather it on? I ask because my silk amino acids from lotioncrafter.com is very watery and I was thinking about using something with more substance to ensure coverage. TIA

A_Christian

I am becoming hooked on products with hydrolized silk and cones. Thanks for all of the info navs. The Chi Silk Infusion is definitely going to become a staple. The Design Essentials product is definitely going to be on my to try list as well.

AKA-Tude

MoMo said:
How did you use it? Did you spray or just slather it on? I ask because my silk amino acids from lotioncrafter.com is very watery and I was thinking about using something with more substance to ensure coverage. TIA

***I said I wasn't coming back in here but...***

I put the SAA in a small, inexpensive spray bottle & as I parted my hair sprayed the SAA on the NG. I waited about an hour, then relaxed.

chocolat79

MoMo said:

Well, unfortunately I didn't have an empty spray bottle OR time to buy one, I had just gotten my order the morning of my touch-up, so I just put it on. I didn't put so much that it was wet though. I'm sure next time I'll use a spray bottle and wait a couple of hours or maybe use it overnight if I have a morning appt. But it's definitely a keeper. HTH

GGD

Navs,
Thanks for the info! This is a great thread.:D You are definitely walking in your gift and I think it's wonderful!!:D Keep working gurl!!

jenteel

navsegda said:
Well, nothing is going to protect the hair like silicones or silk, so I think it would be good for doing what it says (detangling and adding shine), but I don't think it would be a good heat protectant at all.

in my opinion, the blended beauty straightening glaze is not a good heat protectant
hated it!!!
made my natural hair feel funny and it didn't feel protected - just very moisturized
so i might use it as a leave in
my sis-in law who is (3a/b) relaxed didn't like it either

Isis

navsegda said:
I've never used either of those. I assume it would be ok to use those as long as you let them dry first on the hair. It also depends on how far down the list the silk protein is (if it's the last or second to last ingredient, I wouldn't use it haha).

I use shampoos, conditioners, and serums with silk all the time. In comparison to other proteins, silk has a more nourishing effect. One reason why silk proteins can offer a layer of protection unlike some other proteins is because most of those proteins are hydrolyzed enough so that they have a low enough molecular weight to penetrate into the hair strand and rebuild your hair's structure, but they don't coat. Also, in nature, silk forms a very strong protective film that other proteins cannot. For instance, dragline spider silk is stronger than steel when stretched to the same lengths.

http://instadv.ucsb.edu/93106/2002/October7/spider.html

"The molecules are designed to be pulled; they are elastic and very strong. The silk can be extended 30 to 50 percent of its length before it breaks. It is stronger than steel and comparable in strength to Kevlar, the artificial fabric used in bulletproof vests."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/hottopics/superheroes/

"Dragline silk, which spiders use to crawl down from ceiling to floor, is the strongest of all. Weight for weight it is actually stronger than steel, holding over 280,000,000kg per square metre (400,000 pounds per square inch) without breaking."

With many products that contain silk, the silk molecules are usually too large (their molecular weight is not low enough when hydrolyzed normally) to penetrate the strand, so all they can do is coat the hair. However, this isn't the case with all silk-containing products because some are hydrolyzed more than others. Another reason why I like CHI Silk Infusion is because it has large, medium, and small silk protein molecules (which means some coat the hair for protection while others penetrate to gently reconstruct the strand, so you get the best of both worlds: reconstruction and protection). Biosilk Silk Therapy for instance only has large silk molecules.
I'm still reading through this thread and I can't remember if I commented already or not, but you go girl with your scientific knowledge!! :up: I'm over here taking notes and saving this info. :fan:
My question is, while silk protein is protecting the hair, does it allow moisture to penetrate through the hair? Is it working exactly like silicones which can prevent moisture into the hair? Does one need to clarify the hair after using the silk protein?

Last edited:

ElegantExotic

WOW!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for this thread!!! I love to know the science behind how things work!! I will def be doing this!!!!!!

la flaca

Isis said:
I'm still reading through this thread and I can't remember if I commented already or not, but you go girl with your scientific knowledge!! :up: I'm over here taking notes and saving this info. :fan:
My question is, while silk protein is protecting the hair, does it allow moisture to penetrate through the hair? Is it working exactly like silicones which can prevent moisture into the hair? Does one need to clarify the hair after using the silk protein?

I would like to know this too:D

chiprecious

la flaca said:
I would like to know this too:D

Just adding my two cents..
I don't think its the silk protein that has the potential to block moisture input. However when it's mixed with silcone heavy products as the first ingredients, ala Chi Silk Infusion, do you get the moisture block as with as silicone heavy serum.

Which is why the pure silk protein or a better option depending on your use or hair.

Meli

Navsegda:

I am natural...meaning no relaxer, no testurizer...The only thing I do apply at times is Henna. Can I use the chi silk infusion as a leave-in or would I be better off buying the pure silk amino acid from lotioncrafters.com? My goal is to protect my ends, they seem to be having all these splits...One strand will have 3 splits on it. I think this may have been caused from heat damage back in July '07. I have tried to cut off the bad strands, but I also want to protect the remaining. I no longer will be applying heat to my hair.

Soliel185

I actually remember reading something very similar in a thread about texlaxing. Some of the ladies said they got consistantly curly results by coating their hair with a protein conditioner - like the Jheri Redding Natural Protein - and allowing it to dry before applying the relaxer. They were trying to find the secret behind the salon that used to do the "shingling" I can't remember what it was called. The explanation was that the protein reinforced the hair bonds, so you could leave the relaxer on the full time and your hair would not relax straight. WHich in the end would give you consistant and frizz free curls. By full time, I think they mean longer than the 5-7 mins some ladies were doing, and longer processing made for smoother results which corrected alot of the matting and frizz that people had problems with. Silk Protien appears to work much the same way, but b/c it is a lighter protein it allows more of the heat reaction through than the heavier protein conditioner would. It makes sensse that the heavier the protein the less straight your hair would get. I think I will use SAA on my NG next time I relax ( I already use them on the daily in my mascara and conditioners :love:) and then coat the rest of my hair with a heavier protein to prevent damage from run-off. Threads like this make it so easy! :grin:

Sly

I know Navs is gone :nono:, (I really valued her knowledge and contribution to this board) but anyone know the answer? Sistaslick, maybe?

Artemis

Being that silk protein is a protein, it would not prevent moisture from entering the strands, but actually help moisture adhere to the strands. Protein is for strength, and silicone is for protection, so if you use a product that has both, the silicone might create a sort of barrier for outside moisture (and seal inner moisture in), but it shouldn't be anything that cannot be washed away. In the instance of relaxing the hair, most products that are applied prior to and during the actual process, and further so when using the neutralizing shampoo. Just lathering more than 2x with that type of product should do away with any silicone residue that would remain.

Edited for clarification; I was talking to a co-worker while I typed this...

Last edited:

Sly

Being that silk protein is a protein, it would not prevent moisture from entering the strands, but actually help moisture adhere to the strands. Protein is for strength, and silicone is for protection, so if you use a product that has both, the silicone might create a sort of barrier for outside moisture (and seal inner moisture in), but it shouldn't be anything that cannot be washed away. In the instance of relaxing the hair, most products that are applied prior to and during the actual process, and further so when using the neutralizing shampoo. Just lathering more than 2x with that type of product should do away with any silicone residue that would remain.

Edited for clarification; I was talking to a co-worker while I typed this...

Thank you!

JustKiya

:love:

I'm doing searches on silk protien/amino acids, and this thread is to :drool: for! Dang it's sad Navs left!

Last edited:

Isis

I know Navs is gone :nono:, (I really valued her knowledge and contribution to this board) but anyone know the answer? Sistaslick, maybe?
I did make a long post yesterday in another thread (on how we are using SAA) that I did research on silk's protein and moisturizing benefits to the hair and skin.

I have used pure SAA for several weeks now as an experiment on the protein/moisturizing combo and I can see first-hand how it's working on my hair (haven't tried it on skin yet). I find it makes stretching so easy with hardly any hairs shed (I can count them on one hand) even in my 20th week post relaxer. My newgrowth is amazing and so easy to comb through. My hair has not been dry either. It's strong and moisturized and since this silk is as natural as my hair (actually it is hair), it can only enhance it. :yep: Relaxing is going to be a breeze.

I understand and appreciate Navsegda's thread more than ever since I am experiencing benefits first-hand. If you can see this, thank you Navsegda!

taytay86

Would (Dominican product) Partial Silk Worm qualify as a silk protein used before relaxing?

Are you ladies saying a silk protein is more benefical instead of an actual protein/reconstrcutor treatment before a relaxer? Or should this be used the wash after the relaxer?