The science of preventing relaxer damage by using silk

Aggie

Thanks for the bump @whosthatcurl. I will have to remember to use this with my next textlaxer again in the first quarter of next year. I hate over-processed ends mixed with curly roots. I only texlax my hair every 8-12 months now because I wear wigs a lot lately as a PS. My last texlaxer was May of this year so I have a few months to purchase another bottle of SAA or Chi Silk Infusion or both.

KenyafromCT

Hello all! I'm new around these parts and I would love to try this product out. I have to relax every 6-8 weeks. My edges and kitchen were rough at 5 weeks but I'm trying to make it to 8 weeks, my last relaxer was on 12/30/16.

demlew

Hello all! I'm new around these parts and I would love to try this product out. I have to relax every 6-8 weeks. My edges and kitchen were rough at 5 weeks but I'm trying to make it to 8 weeks, my last relaxer was on 12/30/16.

Thanks for bumping this! I can add this to my lotioncrafter order. I've been using their silk amino acid to help stretch. I usually relax every 8 weeks, but I'm at 10 now - not sure when I'll relax. I started adding half a capful of SAA to my deep conditioner and also some to my leave-in. It's helped alot.

KenyafromCT

Thanks for bumping this! I can add this to my lotioncrafter order. I've been using their silk amino acid to help stretch. I usually relax every 8 weeks, but I'm at 10 now - not sure when I'll relax. I started adding half a capful of SAA to my deep conditioner and also some to my leave-in. It's helped alot.

Hello! I visited that website and it looks like the CHI wasn't available! Tonight is my first time learning of the CHI, I've also just learned of the SAA reading this thread! How much SAA do you add? What do you use after you relax ? I'm not sure if i can stretch to 10 weeks! I wish I could! lolol

demlew

Hello! I visited that website and it looks like the CHI wasn't available! Tonight is my first time learning of the CHI, I've also just learned of the SAA reading this thread! How much SAA do you add? What do you use after you relax ? I'm not sure if i can stretch to 10 weeks! I wish I could! lolol

Hi there! That site doesn't sell ready-made brands/products. They sell the active ingredients for people who make their own products. In this case, I searched for hydrolyzed silk protein and they don't have it, but I'm ordering their VegeKeratin because they say it "Protects hair from harsh salon processes" in addition to increasing hair strength. **ETA: I probably don't need to buy it based on re-reading the thread. Seems like my SAA is good enough, but I'm buying it out of curiosity.

As far as stretching, I've stretched up to 14 weeks before (not on purpose, I was lazy lol). I suffered breakage though, so I started setting my hair appts at exactly 8 weeks. This time, I added about 1/2 capful to my SAA and noticed my new growth was more managable. Lately, I've been acting like that Frank's hot sauce commercial - I've been putting that **** in everything!" :lachen: It's amazing stuff. I'm going back to order the large size since the shelf life is a year and I'll keep it in the fridge.

I relax with ORS Normal lye because no-lye broke my hair pretty badly. I've been happy with ORS lye for at least 3 years. I apply Nutress protein conditioner mid-step and DC with ORS Replenishing conditioner. My leave-in is Sally's GVP Silk Remedy (their version of Chi Silk Infusion).

I'm taking stretching week by week. I know for sure it'll be at least another week because I did a henna treatment last week and I like to give it a 2 weeks gap.

Good luck in your journey.

KenyafromCT

Ok!
Hi there! That site doesn't sell ready-made brands/products. They sell the active ingredients for people who make their own products. In this case, I searched for hydrolyzed silk protein and they don't have it, but I'm ordering their VegeKeratin because they say it "Protects hair from harsh salon processes" in addition to increasing hair strength. **ETA: I probably don't need to buy it based on re-reading the thread. Seems like my SAA is good enough, but I'm buying it out of curiosity.

As far as stretching, I've stretched up to 14 weeks before (not on purpose, I was lazy lol). I suffered breakage though, so I started setting my hair appts at exactly 8 weeks. This time, I added about 1/2 capful to my SAA and noticed my new growth was more managable. Lately, I've been acting like that Frank's hot sauce commercial - I've been putting that **** in everything!" :lachen: It's amazing stuff. I'm going back to order the large size since the shelf life is a year and I'll keep it in the fridge.

I relax with ORS Normal lye because no-lye broke my hair pretty badly. I've been happy with ORS lye for at least 3 years. I apply Nutress protein conditioner mid-step and DC with ORS Replenishing conditioner. My leave-in is Sally's GVP Silk Remedy (their version of Chi Silk Infusion).

I'm taking stretching week by week. I know for sure it'll be at least another week because I did a henna treatment last week and I like to give it a 2 weeks gap.

Good luck in your journey.

Thanks so much! I will buy some SAA soon! so much to learn. It's a bit.overwhelming ! lolol