The science of preventing relaxer damage by using silk

navsegda

I'm going to give a quick summary. Basically, silk can form a protective covering over the hair to prevent it from being damaged from alkaline materials, such as the chemicals in relaxers. So the next time you relax, try to use something with hydrolyzed silk protein in it (such as CHI Silk Infusion) before putting the chemicals on your hair.

The short and sweet version:

http://www.jajagroup.com/HBADivision/silk_protein.shtml

"After silk protein on the hair dries, it becomes a transparent crystalline protective film. This film can directly prevent the hair being damaged by alkaline materials in hair products. This protective film can increase the hair elasticity and increase the hair’s natural shine. It has a very special protective function in hair products."

But for those of you who need the hardcore science to believe and don't want to listen to me drone on and on:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7060260.html

janiebaby

I just bought the CHI Silk Infusion stuff the other day and it smells so gooood! Just like men's cologne. I could not stop sniffing it. But back to the topic at hand, I think I will give it a try next relaxer. TIA

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Okay Nav--I'm probably going to get that CHI Silk Infusion. Your love for it has just about convinced me.

Thanks for this thread. As always, you have some really neat information to share. Do you have any favorite conditioners with silk protein?

navsegda

Supergirl said:
Okay Nav--I'm probably going to get that CHI Silk Infusion. Your love for it has just about convinced me.

Thanks for this thread. As always, you have some really neat information to share. Do you have any favorite conditioners with silk protein?

I love the Motions Lavish Conditioning Shampoo. It contains silk protein.

Also, the CHI Infra Shampoo and CHI Infra Treatment contain silk protein. Motions also has a Silk Protein Conditioner.

AKA-Tude

I have some silk protein (just straight, no chaser).

Can this be used as well?

I have a retouch session coming up & can use the silk protein then.

TIA

navsegda

AKA-Tude said:
I have some silk protein (just strsight, no chaser).

TIA

I'd say the straight silk protein would be even better. Where did you get yours?

jrae

navsegda said:
I love the Motions Lavish Conditioning Shampoo. It contains silk protein.

Also, the CHI Infra Shampoo and CHI Infra Treatment contain silk protein. Motions also has a Silk Protein Conditioner.

Navsegda, I assume you use the shampoo after all neutralizing is complete?

navsegda

jrae said:
Navsegda, I assume you use the shampoo after all neutralizing is complete?

Oh, on relaxer days I only use Motions (I'm weird like that haha). I neutralize with Motions, shampoo with Motions Lavish Conditioning, and deep condition with Motions lol. I was just listing other products I could think of that had silk protein in them. However, both the CHI Shampoo and Treatment have a pH of 4.5 which can also restore your hair's normal acidic pH. If anyone was going to use the CHI or another shampoo with silk proteins in it right after relaxing, I'd recommend using it only after using a neutralizing shampoo.

navsegda

ms.gafeney said:
ok, so i could use the motions conditioner with silk as a pre relaxer treatment and get the same effect?

I would only use a silk protein conditioner (since it's actually wet) after it has dried completely before relaxing. Most relaxer containers tell you not to use a relaxer on wet hair. Preferably, I'd use an oil, serum, or spray (that can dry relatively quickly) that has silk protein in it.

AKA-Tude

navsegda said:
I'd say the straight silk protein would be even better. Where did you get yours?

Lotioncrafter.com

They have everything - proteins, oils, all the 'cones, etc.

& reasonable prices & quick shipping too!

Thanx!

Precious_1

Nav, girl CHI needs to give you a contract you promote that stuff so much:lol: I have it and Janie it DOES smell like mens cologne. It works great. I now have a new use for it besides using it to flatiron

Last edited:

AKA-Tude

Precious_1 said:
Nav, girl they CHI needs to give you a contract you promote that stuff so much:lol: I have it and Janie it DOES smell like mens cologne. It works great. I now have a new use for it besides using it to flatiron

This is SO TRUE!!
I was 'pursuaded' to order some CHI the other day from Ebay!:look:

tnorenberg

AKA-Tude said:
I have some silk protein (just straight, no chaser).

TIA
I want to know also, where did you purchase it from? Local store or online?

AKA-Tude

AKA-Tude said:
Lotioncrafter.com

They have everything - proteins, oils, all the 'cones, etc.

& reasonable prices & quick shipping too!

Thanx!

There you go. It's listed under proteins. They have all sizes & prices.
HTH

InnerSoul

Thanx 4 posting this Navs.,

Where can u find the chi silk infusion products? do they have this at sally's??

navsegda

InnerSoul said:
Thanx 4 posting this Navs.,

Where can u find the chi silk infusion products? do they have this at sally's??

Hmm...I don't know if they have the CHI Silk Infusion at Sally's (they just might), but I do know they have it at Trade Secret and JCPenney Salon.

P.S. I really like your avatar. :)

AVNchick

navsegda said:
"After silk protein on the hair dries, it becomes a transparent crystalline protective film. This film can directly prevent the hair being damaged by alkaline materials in hair products. This protective film can increase the hair elasticity and increase the hair’s natural shine. It has a very special protective function in hair products."

So, does this only work for No-Lye relxers?

InnerSoul

navsegda said:
Hmm...I don't know if they have the CHI Silk Infusion at Sally's (they just might), but I do know they have it at Trade Secret and JCPenney Salon.

P.S. I really like your avatar. :)

thanx !!! I will definitely hit JCPenneys this week!!! Your avatar is just as great! your hair growth is one that I hope to attain in a year:) :) :)

janiebaby

I haven't used the CHI Silk Infusion yet but I would like to know if it could be used as a moisturizer?

navsegda

janiebaby said:
I haven't used the CHI Silk Infusion yet but I would like to know if it could be used as a moisturizer?

It makes your hair really soft and silky, but it's not a moisturizer. Pretty much the only water in it was that used to hydrolyze the silk proteins, but other than that, water isn't listed as an ingredient.

Hareitiz

navsegda said:
It makes your hair really soft and silky, but it's not a moisturizer. Pretty much the only water in it was that used to hydrolyze the silk proteins, but other than that, water isn't listed as an ingredient.

I used mine last weekend when I had my hair pressed and my hair was so soft and silky! I actually used it because you raved about it so much!:lol: