The SOUTH AFRICAN hairsalon I used to work in

Heavenly

I was inspired to write this post because I got so many comments on my blowout "skillz".

See, in my highschool days, I got a little temp job at a Haircare Clinic doing odd things like sweeping the floors, packing product and shampooing clients.

I got the job because my mom used to frequent that salon. One day I walked in and said, "Hello, I was wondering if I could work here... you know... clean the windows or something."

The boss said, "Sure, grab a uniform."

Yeah, we had to wear uniforms. White nurse dresses.

As time progressed, I graduated to other things like rollersetting, applying relaxer... and doing some clinical things like electro scalp massage and analysis.

I never went for training or anything. I just learned by watching the older stylists and asking them to show me 'stuff'.

Eventually, I graduated highschool, went to college... 6 years went by... and the boss started letting me do fullblown relaxers, prom curls... and I even got a few regulars who requested me only.

Mothers wanted me to do their daughters hair. They never fussed when I did it. :grin:

I never learned how to cut though. A little too intense for me.

At the end of my stint there, I was working the books, ordering supplies... and did Saturday morning salon management. It was a great first job to have.... one that lasted until I got my first 'big girl' career job.

It was a beautiful salon. Saturdays were always packed, and get this... our main specialty were RELAXERS. And get this....our boss was an older english white man. He is probably close to 70 years old today. He knew his game well. Racist as all heck... but we got him back in other ways. :rolleyes:

We probably had about 30 to 40 girls working there. A mix of permanent stylists and about 15 temporaries and interns.

It was set in a beautiful area of the city... on the second floor with large windows... and it overlooked a park with a fleamarket. Cobblestone streets lined with boutiques and little bistros and health stores were the norm. That was our view. Musicians would be playing drum music... tourists would be walking around...

It was brilliant, I tell ya!

I wonder if its still there in good ole Cape Town.

nysister

You have a rhythmic way of writing. Do you create short stories? You left me wanting to hear more! I felt like this was the first few paragraphs of a book that was going to become very interesting.

You have a rhythmic way of writing. Do you create short stories? You left me wanting to hear more! I felt like this was the first few paragraphs of a book that was going to become very interesting.

:yep: I thought the same thing. I was an English major and noticed this too. I want to hear/read more.

CaliDiamond

Great insight! I also worked in a salon as a first job. Wasn't it so much fun to go to work everyday? I miss it.

Ang!

You story telling reminds me of 'The First Ladies Detective' series - you should start writing - and I would definitely read stories surrounding your theme - a beauty salon in Cape Town run by a racist older man . . . sounds like a good series:)!

Heavenly

Thanks Nysister. I have always wanted to write, but never pursued it. I write erotica sometimes... but just for myself.

Heavenly

You story telling reminds me of 'The First Ladies Detective' series - you should start writing - and I would definitely read stories surrounding your theme - a beauty salon in Cape Town run by a racist older man . . . sounds like a good series:)!

LOL... are you refering to that HBO series? I've always wanted to watch it :grin:

"A beauty salon in cape town run by a racist older man" ....mmm... the stories I could tell.

He was very touchy feely too.

ycj1

Thanks Nysister. I have always wanted to write, but never pursued it. I write erotica sometimes... but just for myself.
Wonderful story, but you are very fortunate to have worked there and worked on so many heads of hair the way you have without any reprocussions of not having a license. It's also funny reading yr story too because some not all stylist with a license probably have not had such pleasant experiences such as yourself. And they were licensed. Sometimes it goes to show a person that some people have a natural knack doing hair opposed to the ones that had professional training for it.