The Status of my Hair

cocoberry10

As some of you all remember, I posted about my braid removal and disappointment

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=70272

Now I wanted to update you all about my hair. After removing the braids, I had lots of breakage and shedding. I won't be doing braids anytime soon. Anyway, I relaxed, and she didn't get it bone straight (she intentionally underprocessed, b/c she said she wanted to see if my hair was healthy in 8 more weeks). After all the seed hair (that's what she called it) came out, my hair doesn't look too badly damaged. She told me that I had healthy hair before the braids, and that the braider did a good job on my braids (not too tight). However, she said I lost a lot more hair than I would have because I had microbraids, instead of larger braids. She told me that my fine textured hair couldn't take the stress of the braids. She cut off 2.5 inches to even out my hair and cut off the see-through ends. I felt a little sad, but not too bad as I was 34 weeks post-relaxer and hadn't trimmed in over a year. The hairdresser told me that by next summer my hair would be back and healthy, if I continue to take care of it.

So, I say all of that to say I am back on my regimen. I had to take a break from LHCF, b/c I was feeling down. My hair is armpit length in the back when wet or stick straight. It's a little below shoulder in the front (between collarbone and armpit in the front when straight or wet). I will try to take some pics when I go home for Thanksgiving, since I don't own a digital camera. I just wanted to say thanks Ladies, and I will step up my game. My game plan includes:

Taking vitamins (hair, skin, nail vitamin and borage, flax oil, fish oil vitamin)

Continuing with MTG (now that I took out my braids, I can really smell it on my hair)

Doing a modified dominican blowout once/week (Since she underprocessed, I will probably use a little more heat than usual, but try not to use too much)

Moisture, moisture, moisture.

If any of you have other suggestions, please let a sista know!

Oh yeah, I just wanted to add this: Even though my hair looks healthy and it is a lot healthier than most people's when they remove microbraids, I am having a little more breakage than normal. Could it be due to the time of year or do you think it's more hair from the braids? Thanks Ladies!

Last edited:

Healthb4Length

cocoberry10 said:
As some of you all remember, I posted about my braid removal and disappointment

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=70272

Now I wanted to update you all about my hair. After removing the braids, I had lots of breakage and shedding. I won't be doing braids anytime soon. Anyway, I relaxed, and she didn't get it bone straight (she intentionally underprocessed, b/c she said she wanted to see if my hair was healthy in 8 more weeks). After all the seed hair (that's what she called it) came out, my hair doesn't look too badly damaged. She told me that I had healthy hair before the braids, and that the braider did a good job on my braids (not too tight). However, she said I lost a lot more hair than I would have because I had microbraids, instead of larger braids. She told me that my fine textured hair couldn't take the stress of the braids. She cut off 2.5 inches to even out my hair and cut off the see-through ends. I felt a little sad, but not too bad as I was 34 weeks post-relaxer and hadn't trimmed in over a year. The hairdresser told me that by next summer my hair would be back and healthy, if I continue to take care of it.

So, I say all of that to say I am back on my regimen. I had to take a break from LHCF, b/c I was feeling down. My hair is armpit length in the back when wet or stick straight. It's a little below shoulder in the front (between collarbone and armpit in the front when straight or wet). I will try to take some pics when I go home for Thanksgiving, since I don't own a digital camera. I just wanted to say thanks Ladies, and I will step up my game. My game plan includes:

Taking vitamins (hair, skin, nail vitamin and borage, flax oil, fish oil vitamin)

Continuing with MTG (now that I took out my braids, I can really smell it on my hair)

Doing a modified dominican blowout once/week (Since she underprocessed, I will probably use a little more heat than usual, but try not to use too much)

Moisture, moisture, moisture.

If any of you have other suggestions, please let a sista know!

Oh yeah, I just wanted to add this: Even though my hair looks healthy and it is a lot healthier than most people's when they remove microbraids, I am having a little more breakage than normal. Could it be due to the time of year or do you think it's more hair from the braids? Thanks Ladies!

Sorry you had to go thru all this, but I'm glad you didn't lose too much hair from the microbraids. I hate those things! THey are beautiful and versatile but they are the devil on my hair, it took out some of my hair line and it took a minute for it to grow back. I noticed that you didn't mention anything in your regime about deep/conditioning treatments. This will help bring your hair back to health, also since your underprocessed you will probably need to do Conditioner washes to help with the different textures and with tangles.

cocoberry10

Thanks. I forgot to mention that, but I definitely do that. I may start conditioner washing, but I'm not sure that really helps.