The Tangle Teezer broke my heart. And my hair.

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
Sorry Mwedzi :(

I am sorry if this has already been said (I haven't read all of the responses yet) but I am still a firm believer that this tangle teezer is a brush, although I believe it is marketed as a comb (I think, please correct me if I am wrong). I know that hair should never be brushed wet, and maybe that is the problem? Also, those jagged seamed teeth on the ends scared me! That could be part of the reason too. I bet if TT made them seamless a lot of the problems people are experiencing will go away (plus the comb would be more durable). Even if it cost $20-30 instead of $10 I think it would be worth it if they used a material that would cause it to be seamless.

Again I am sorry for the damage you are experiencing Mwedzi :(

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I feel you :yep:. The denman caused breakage with my hair yet I had the nerve to try the TT too :nono:. Brushes and my hair don't mix. The sad thing about it is my hair has never been fully detangled except with these two products. I'm working on finding a solution too.

Guitarhero

I feel you :yep:. The denman caused breakage with my hair yet I had the nerve to try the TT too :nono:. Brushes and my hair don't mix. The sad thing about it is my hair has never been fully detangled except with these two products. I'm working on finding a solution too.

What about the Ouidad detangling comb? It's like two large-toothed combs set together and slightly off-track to zig-zag through tangles?

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I guess i will keep on using the goody add shine brush.it hasnt let me down at all. Im go glad i was too cheap to buy a TT

Shay72

Natural, 4A
What about the Ouidad detangling comb? It's like two large-toothed combs set together and slightly off-track to zig-zag through tangles?

I own it and it does nothing, I mean nothing for my hair. I think it needs an additional row in between the two.

Raine054

I completely understand how you feel Mwedzi. Like another poster said, I think it has to do with the shape of the actual strands. Kinky type 4 hair when magnified, looks more like fettucini. It's somewhat flat. I can see how the shape of the bristles on the tangle teezer can just completely shred that type of hair but easily glide down the cylindrical shaped (think spaghetti) strands of type 1 hair. Best of luck.

Honi

There is no board.
Awww dannnng! I’m so sorry to hear about that. That’s just awful! It is an awesome tool too so I feel your pain. DD and I haven’t had any splits/midshaft splits but will keep a look out.

As for DD, I find that I’m using it less. Her hair seems to stay detangled until the next wash. That HairBean sounds interesting. :look:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

[USER=62609 said:
Shay72[/USER] ;13247455]I feel you :yep:. The denman caused breakage with my hair yet I had the nerve to try the TT too :nono:. Brushes and my hair don't mix. The sad thing about it is my hair has never been fully detangled except with these two products. I'm working on finding a solution too.
denman too? no... shay which one (the small 7 row D3 kind?) even with every other row removed?

TamedTresses

The TT and the modified Denman detangle my hair like a dream. I also have less breakage detangling with them. This just proves, once again, that what works for one person may not work for another.

Sorry about your breakage, OP. Pretty hair btw...

Keepin' it real-err...

PearlyCurly

yikes, i hope i dont get split ends from this brush..i already have enough:lachen:

I just got the TT and i tried it alone without combing before, and it seems more "damaging" that way:nono: And for some reason i think it worked better on my dried hair(after taking out twist) then freshly washed hair.

Loveygram

So Sorry to hear it's breaking your hair. It did not work for me first try -immediately taking out lots of hair. However, my hair was damaged at the time and I thought that might be the problem but I never dealt with it again. I continue to use seamless combs going from wide to med/fine for thorough detangling.

Hopefully your recovery will be swift.:yep:

Blessings

Last edited:

cmw45

Sorry this happened to you. I've only used it once and wasn't really happy with it because of the same reasons. I going to turn it into my wig brush since I already spent the $10 for it.

AmyRose92

So sorry mwedzi. :sad:

My hair is similar to yours in texture and curl-pattern and I was fooling myself into thinking that TT wouldn't have any adverse effects on my hair since it detangled my hair SO well. Today, I used it after detangling with a wide-tooth comb and adding some slippery conditioner. When I dumped out the hair that was in the TT (while the sink was 1/3 full of water) and drained the water, I got a LOT of tiny little pieces here and there, just like you did. That was the first time I had seen THAT much breakage and I can only assume that the majority of them went down the drain with the rest of the water. I also noticed a bit more hair in my hair catcher every time I detangled my hair with the wide-tooth comb alone. I'm not sure if the TT is the culprit, but I think it's time for me to shelve it until I can find a better detangling tool.

I think I've learned my lesson on jumping bandwagons before a true consensus came out first. :nono:

anon123

The Denman's damage was immediate for me to see. That's why I was so happy to find the TT. I thought my troubles were over.

I may try it some time in the future. My heart can't take no more product disappointments at the moment. :cry2:

I guess i will keep on using the goody add shine brush.it hasnt let me down at all. Im go glad i was too cheap to buy a TT

This brush is nice and I didn't notice too many problems with it. I didn't use it as often, and usually used it after using the comb first. That's probably part of the reason it was less damaging. It doesn't work as well at detangling, though.

I own it and it does nothing, I mean nothing for my hair. I think it needs an additional row in between the two.

Curses! :fistshake:

I've been using the Denman D24 Double Row Detangling Comb. It works Great.

It'll go on on the list of things to try. thanks.

I heard this brush was great at detangling... anyone here tried it?
http://www.amazon.com/Kent-Airhedz-...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1303067067&sr=1-1

Never head of it. Will keep it in mind. Thanks.

.:Eden:.

No, you were not alone. Several voiced how they had a bad experience with it. CurlyNikki even mentioned on her blog how she got split hairs from using it. However, whenever anyone posted that they had a bad experience with it, they were accused of not using the TT correctly or jumping on the CurlyNikki bandwagon and imagining that they had split hairs. :nono: One blogger had to delete attack posts from her site because she had a less than stellar review of the TT.

I wonder will anyone suggest to Mwedzi that she may have been using the TT incorrectly or that she is just imagining her hair damage!

I gave mine away after quickly discovering that it was tearing out my transitioning hair. My friend stopped using hers because water would seep out of her TT for days after she cleaned it. Oh well.

Thaaaaank you! I was among the people who voiced their opinion of the TT causing knots, splits and breakage and I got shut down:ohwell:.

THIS THING IS THE FREAKIN DEVIL:swearing: I just did a routine s&d this weekend, and I am still finding midshaft splits in my hair. I haven't used the TT since March, and it was only ONE TIME?! This is a major setback for me, but oh well.

I am never experimenting with brushes again.:nono:

mshoney2u

Thaaaaank you! I was among the people who voiced their opinion of the TT causing knots, splits and breakage and I got shut down:ohwell:.

THIS THING IS THE FREAKIN DEVIL:swearing: I just did a routine s&d this weekend, and I am still finding midshaft splits in my hair. I haven't used the TT since March, and it was only ONE TIME?! This is a major setback for me, but oh well.

I am never experimenting with brushes again.:nono:

It really is!!!! I had the same experience OP and I had to cut my hair deep. Since its curly and my TT is black I didn't notice until it was to late. My hair hasn't been this short in yearrrrrs. Never again!!!! I had my reggie down pat but nooo I had to be adventurous and try something new cause everybody was raving about the TT. I am going to spend the next year babying my hair. I think I am going to have to go back old school and get me a drawstring and do the baggy method.

secretdiamond

Wow! So sorry Mwedzi! :(
This has been on my list to buy for some time now. The only reason I haven't yet was because I got sidetracked & bought everything else but the TT once I entered Sally's. :look: I was going to go back today for it, but now I won't. :nono:

Beverly Ann Properties

Sorry to hear this Mwedzi, but thank you for sharing your experience. I did not jump on the TT bandwagon but was very tempted. I will continue to follow Cathy Howse's advice on no hairbrushes.

Rei

thanks for posting. i haven't tried the TT yet but given that we have very similar hair types (except i'm pretty sure one of my hairs is like half the width of yours, lol), if it breaks your hair mine will split if I even take a glance at it.

passing on this one...I was already burned by the denman :C

PPGbubbles

I feel you OP! I knew after one use that thing was evil. I dont know how you lasted for months

It is smooth and goes through the hair like "butter" but it sliced and diced my strands with ease!

I saw the ratio of shed vs broken hairs in that thing and took it right back to sallys!
everything isnt for everybody.

fortunately you have good length and thickness so this trim should be devastating. but I learned my lesson. I will stick to my fingers and wide tooth comb

Ese88

i'm so sorry to hear this and i want to thank you and all the others who initially loved the tool and have now comeback to report how it's working months down the line. We have the same hair type and the only reason why i didn't purchase the TT was because right now i am in Africa otherwise it could have been a different story and my hair is very fine too so i'm glad that you reported back.
Your hair is beautiful and it will grow back in no time. At least you know your hair can get to long lengths

Iluvsmuhgrass

I'm sorry mwedzi. :(

*sigh* I love it.... but now I'm afraid. I only use it on damp hair during my wash/co-wash days. :(

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOoOoOoOo *GASP* oooooooooooooooooooooooo

I need to take pics of my tools. BBL.

AHeadOfCoils

I'm right >here< with you sista! My ends are jacked from that damn tangle teezer. I'm trying to hold on to them, but I'll probably have to get them clipped soon. :nono: